The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    So that means I'll have to buy new shoes tomorrow, right?
    There is always only one answer to the question of whether one should buy new shoes...
    runningshoes-buymore.jpg
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Jan 1 - Run/ 1 mile, Walk/ 1 mile
    Jan 2 - Run/ 0 miles, Walk/ 1.5 miles
    Jan 3 - Run/ 1 mile, Walk/ 1 mile
    Jan 4 - Run/ 0 miles, Walk/ 2.25 miles
    Jan 5 - Run/ 0 miles, Walk/ 0 miles
    Jan 6 - Run/ 0 miles, Walk/ 0 miles
    Jan 7 - Run/ 1 mile, Walk/ 3 mile

I'm only at 3 of my 35 miles for the month of January, so today I decided to start back at week 5 of C25k, though i'm using the 10k app now, so I can continue to move forward, the schedules help me a lot so hopefully I will get past this 1 mile run rut I'm in. I took it outdoors though, which I love. I haven ran outside since my 5k on Thanksgiving, other than that It had been most of last year not outdoors on the pavement. I'm also still trying to figure out how to work it all into my schedule, and the schedule of others I live with. I am doing a lot better with eating again, and have stayed within my calorie goal all year so far and had one drink on the 2nd and nothing since. I know all of this is just going to help me progress as a runner and that's what motivates me, my desire to be a regular and strong runner.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Didn't sign in to the forums until the 5th, then took two days catching up on everyone's entries prior to making my own.

Setting a Goal of 75 Miles for January

1/3 – 3.87 Mi
    1/5 – 4.24 Mi
    1/7 – 5.32 Mi

Progress toward Goal 13.43 / 75
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1/1...3.68
    2/1...5.20 walk
    3/1...5.70
    4/1...0.5
    5/1...2.17
    6/1...rest
    7/1...5.10

22.35/100+ Miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016 22.35 /2016
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm late to the party but I'm in for 60 this month, with a stretch goal of 75. 50 has been the most I've done before, my goal for this year is to run slower and further. 19 miles done so far!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    2nio2jiyszid.jpg
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    patrikc333 wrote: »

You should change your screen name to "Lucky"...

how many people here do swear loudly when running? :D

I do take advantage of the early morning quiet to, let's say, express my disappointment

it's not a good period, but that means that a better one is coming (easy to say now laying on the sofa, I won't be of the same mood tomorrow at 5am in the cold/rain with a hip falling off B) )

I swear mostly to myself, and all the time in my head, but a loud one slips out of my mouth every now and then. You can ask my boyfriend about the time he was cheering me on near the finish line of a very windy and cold 15K last spring, and I accidentally flipped him off. I honestly intended to give him a very sarcastic thumbs up, but my brain decided to do otherwise without my knowledge. Oops.

Wow! That's just freakin' awesome. When I leave work and coworkers say " bye" I'm walking out and think to raise my hand in a bye-bye fashion, it always winds up a middle finger.. Or I do a thumbs up the extend the middle finger.

Ya, running I'm seriously singing "toe tag, body bag, ima put you ona slab.." Its catchy..
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    It was a busy evening last night so I didn't get a chance to post my run.
    5km with the run club (which currently consists of 2 students but I have high hopes for the spring). Neither of them ran over Christmas break so we did an easy 5 with some walking breaks.

No run today. I was supposed to swim or bike but I'm feeling pretty run down right now so I opted to rest.

I did come home to a new Lululemon down filled running vest my husband ordered for me :)

exercise.png

• runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It's not 80's.. Please don't beat me up because I'm off the 80's train for a minute.. But this is my new 'fast' pace favourite song! It's not new.. but just love running fast to it :smile:

Rage Against The Machine - Renegades of Funk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-LxmdxHEFg

What's everyone's favourite fast song to run to?
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options

It changes but lately it is Goodbye to You ... Scandal - Patty Smyth sings it. I repeat it on longer run and yell it out.
    Others that never get rotated off the list:
    Hey, Soul Sister
    Moves Like Jagger
    Rebel Yell.

Went to Dr and have some type of virus - gave me meds and said no exercise for 3 days. ugh... we will see. Maybe I'll be feeling better sooner! Honestly it takes longer to write sub plans, print up rosters, etc., than it does to just go and teach. But I'm going to do it and then sleep in.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Jan 01      6.5      6.5
    Jan 02      5.1     11.6
    Jan 03      5.6     17.2
    Jan 05      3.3T    20.5
    Jan 07      3.4T    23.9

exercise.png
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Birthday Suits by Daniel Powter. :)
    Hand in my Pocket by Alanis Morissette. She gives the bird too!
    Make this Day by Zac Brown Band. What can i say..
    Popular Song by Mika. haha
    Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol.

• MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I like listening to Alabama 3
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So many posts! I thought of several comments to make, but if I do that I won't get enough sleep tonight. A five day work week plus marathon training requires bed time discipline. I will make the time to post today's run:

January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down

January to date total - 58.71
    Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes: Speed work at the indoor track. Looked at the distance chart, and found that 7 laps in lane five is about 5 meters more than a mile. So I was able to do my 2 mile warm up and cool down as 14 laps. It was kind of surprising how much mentally easier 14 laps is than 16.

Today's assignment was 1 x 800 at T, 2 x 1600 at T, 1 x 800 at T, then 2 laps jogging the curves and strides on the straights. Coach advised me to slow the 1600s down to half marathon pace because I will be running Winter Warrior Half on Saturday. It went well, I was able to hold a consistent pace for both the T and HMP intervals. The pace I held was faster than my nominal T or half marathon pace, but it was indoors, with controlled humidity, no wind, and a nice soft track. I figure I was close to the intent of the workout.

Rest day tomorrow. A 2 mile warmup plus the half marathon on Saturday will bring the week in right at the target mileage for the training plan.

Upcoming races:
    Jan. 9, 2016 Winter Warrior Half Marathon (Rochester, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    exercise.png Clocked in another 2.3 miles :D
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Fall Out Boy - My Songs Know What You Did In The Dark
    AC-DC Thunderstruck
    Aerosmith - Eat The Rich
  • pampaspony
    pampaspony Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My goal is to hopefully just be able to run a little by the end of the month! Injured my achilles over 3 weeks ago and it still hurts if I even walk for extended periods of time, much less running. I can't even wear regular shoes! And to think that just a month ago I was doing about 30 miles/week.... Hopefully I'll be able to try out a half mile run by the end of the month :/
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Well, I did it. $$igned up for the Museum of Aviation Half-Marathon tonight. Guess that makes it official that I'm gonna run the silly thing.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)

Fantastic group run! Huge turn out for the pub run. Nothing better than a couple three mile loops followed by two fantasticm, locally brewed drafts :) Now to eat some anti-hangover ramen because I'm a super lightweight (and, to be fair, the beers were 7.8% alcohol) and take full advantage of tomorrow's rest day! Good night, all!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Goal - 50 miles.

Jan 1 3.88
    Jan 3 4.07
    Jan 5 4.01
    1/7 - 4.24

Total 16.2