Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2016

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Robin, your photos are so beautiful. You have such a perfect artists touch and can see beauty in things others can't.

I can't remember who was commenting about my Christmas pictures and thought a cat had turned into a dog. I think what you are seeing is my cat who got in it before the mayhem started. Didn't intend to get her in the picture. It's fine that I did but it was just not my intention. But the other pictures, there is a dark stocking, maybe that is what you are seeing. I still my my brother not being there. He was sick and almost all 6 of the 4 and under kids had recently been sick.Since their parents smoke they are all frequently sick. They can't seem to see a correlation to that. But he is usually the life of the party. I thank you all about comments about my nephew Matt. He has had a 180 turnaround. In high school he has so sullen because he hated his parents, nothing was right anywhere.

Pip, I just love any picture you take of those fur babies. But the one of your precious one sticking his nose through that curly q in your bed is my favorite.

Well ladies it is official. I am no longer in onederland. I had purposefully put off weighing just because I didn't want to see it. Well you can't avoid it when you go for a physical. 202.2. I had gotten down to 172.8. Bring it on, put your heaviest boots on and give me several good swift kicks. Well wait a minute. I had 4 shots of cortisone in my butt today and they are a little sore. OK, just do it. I am now old. I have arthritis in my hips. Not bad, the trochanteric bursitis hurts much worse than the arthritis. It keeps me restless at night since it hurts me so much to lie on my sides. When my doctor came in the room I just said, OK I'm obese again and he just nodded and said yes. I guess he knew I was beating myself enough. He gave me some sample pills for sleep, 2 different kinds and told me to try the one first since the second kind is expensive. I don't want to have a sleeping pill that costs a lot of money! He also changed my tummy pill. I am really eating the TUMS, about 10 a day. So he is changing ti to the proton pump kind. I needed to pick up my medicines at Sams so I dropped it off. Found out I had completely forgot to let Sams know of my new health insurance! So they used my AAA card. Come to find out with AAA, some of them are cheaper than my United Health Care/AARP.

I gave Michelle a fit bit since she really needs it but she wanted a sleep tracker. Oh my it looks so awful. I have had some restless nights before but hers is terrible. But she does walk 20,000 steps just at work. I wish those amount of steps would help her lose weight but as she said she has a terrible diet.

Well It is time to turn off this computer and go try out my new sleeping pill! Hope my sleep pattern looks better tomorrow. If it is my cat won't be as tired from being kicked off the bed as much so we both will gain from it!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited January 2016
    Annr wrote: »
    I wish to walk thru this world with grace. To move through my world with a willowy sense about me. I wish there to be less of me and more of living. Looking back to how I felt when I was bigger, I made it a point to take up space. It mattered that I was a large obese woman with ideas, and opinions. Now, I would just love to enter a room and have someone say, "wow, that is a really nice sweater". It's not so much about changing societies opinion of how obese people acclimate. It's not so much about making a statement, its about living whole and at peace with myself. Having typed what I just typed, maybe I'm not as content as I let on....

Becca
    Oregon

Awe, Becca, what a break thru. I just want to hug you. Fat people are usually either at one end or the other of the "wanting to be accepted socially" scale. You say you were "in your face", I on the other hand tried to "hide" in the crowd. I wanted to not be seen at all. Upon entering a room I always looked to see if there was some one there fatter than me, I felt better if there was. We do a lot of hiding our feelings from others, but even worse is hiding them from ourselves.

You are truly an honest and insightful lady and make a wonderful contribution to our group. Love you, girl friend. Feel better.

Janetr okc
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Becca - Sorry you're down in the dumps. I suspect your lingering cold is part of it. You KNOW we all love you. :heart: I hope you'll soon be back to normal and be in everyone's face and on everyone's case the way we expect.

Hey, did I say normal? Of course I mean delightfully abnormal.

Robin - Welcome, and thanks implying that I'm a "photographer". I eat up all compliments. (After all, they're calorie-free.) But you are too kind!

Sending good karma to Bullwinkle for today's procedure!

I'm pressed for time this morning. Lots to do before I head for the airport in 1½ hours. Catch you all later!
    /Penny soon back at the emoticon-object-026.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,978 Member
    morning friends~
    Pip~ will keep Bullwinkle in my prayers today...
    having an apple with natural peanut butter for breakfast and a cup of tea.. trying to stay away from dairy, and wheat but still have a splash of 1/2 and 1/2 in my tea.. also trying to stay away from sugar and processed foods.
    we shall see , but will take it a day at a time....
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    dj lol, when a person is grateful for friday 24 hours before B-) it arrives, you know its been a long week.
    rorihave fun ice skating in bryant park, what fun thing to do in nyc.
    joycecan a person send hugs and a boot at the same time? Sending you strength to be good to yourself, look into ways to relax before bed, limit caffeine etc, there is tons of info on sleep hygeine to improve sleep, it is such an important part of staying healthy. If you can get to onederland once you can get there and stay there: one step, one choice at a time, but get back to caring for yourself!
    Grateful for friday, karen from ny
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    o:) Read all the posts.
    >:) Working on taxes.
    <3 Later, dear hearts.
  • Elaine352962
    Elaine352962 Posts: 288 Member

Just popping in to wish everyone well, have a great day. Best wishes, hope all goes well with your weight loss efforts.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,978 Member
    I am trying to be mindful of what I am eating.. I have wraps that I am using up that do have wheat in them but once they are done, I wont buy more... I bought the minute rice cups of the medley , trying to stay away from carbs, took a look :s holy heavens to betsy 45 grams of carbs... wow... and one of those little cups is 2 servings and 500 calories....
    well that is a shocker....
    having some carmel apple tea,will hop in the shower and take the puppies for a walk, then go feed DFIL and a full day of work..
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Weigh-in day. 1.7 lbs. down. That was a LOT of work for 1.7 lbs. Hopefully the new exercise and food plan will become routine. I'm glad I started exercise before the new year and was able to adjust to that before adding in the food plan. It was less of a shock.

At Mary's recommendation, I joined the Biggest Loser Challenge last night to keep myself accountable.

I have an interview this morning, so have to color my grey roots. I don't care what age I look outside of the workplace, but reality is, people have their inner perceptions of older people in the workforce, so I've removed my graduation date from my resume and any indication of age. Sad to think of 58 as being older. Anyway, I'm not sure I even want to change jobs, but the stability of my current one is questionable.

Off to make myself look 10 years younger! 5190.gif

Kimses in MA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,041 Member
    morning peeps -
    poerava - they ARE as cute, well mannered and cuddly as they look. training from day one so lots of work tho.8fnsmdbp4dac.jpg

poor winkle, no food or water this morning
  • mkramarz
    mkramarz Posts: 47 Member
    Hi all! Tried to read this entire stream since Jan 1 - but way too much! Great motivating ideas though
    I'm a returning MFP member - lost 12 lbs of 60 or so I need to lose last Fall and gained it all over the holidays
    COMMITTED to never letting that happen again - back on track - day 5 - Slipped a bit last night but
    Logged in all I ate anyway - LOOKING FORWARD
    Hope to make some connections here!
  • felasou
    felasou Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Everyone!

I'm new to MFP and hope I'll be able to stick with it ... I'm going to take one day at a time and see how it goes. My problem is that when a week or two goes by and I don't lose anything I get discouraged and just give up. I could really use some encouragement!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited January 2016
    Rori thanks for the prayers.

We both needed them when I came home last night with a flat tire. My car has been in for repairs and routine maintenance three times in the last two months. My son's car is in for the third time because of a leaky sunroof. If I had a car that had to be stored outside I would never have a sunroof. Other son's car went in twice. All of these in the last two months.

I had what I call a Peekachoo earring moment when I realized my front tire was going flat.

The story is a little girl realized in mid afternoon she lost her Peekachoo earring at school. She had a total meltdown. Her teacher complimented her on how she was able to get it together and said you will lose and misplace many things in life and does getting upset help. Yes I needed to remember that one last night.

The story ends when the teacher contacted the mom. The mom said it you have time before the end of the day let her know I found her Peekachoo earring in her bed.

:heart: Margaret

• miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Margaret, great story!

I have been dutifully working out, but neglecting my logging. I have even increased the amount I am doing. So it is a full hour of water aerobics. My eating, on the other hand, has been horrible and I have not logged that.

Had to take a cat to the vet yesterday for stitches. He got into a fight with the stray that is living under my wood shop. Had a deep scratch on his chest which he licked until it was the size of a dime and through the full thickness of the skin. He came home with a cone of shame, but I cannot keep it on him. His head is smaller than his neck. So far he has been leaving the wound alone.

Pip, thinking of Bullwinkle. today. And you. It is hard when our furbabies have troubles.

Grandkids tonight! Yippee!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Miriam - My daughter has a cat with a tiny head and they did something different with the cone to keep it on. I'll try to call her when I think she might be awake and see if she remembers.

Becca - Hope your illness passes quickly so that you can go back to being your perky self. Thanks for the hugs!

The saga of the boy child continues. He finally got in touch with someone at the community college and managed to get in to registration but now he says all the classes he needs are full. I made him call his dad last night and ask for a ride to the school so that he can tackle it in person. The child was almost in tears when I got home. He is so discouraged and frustrated. Hopefully, it will be life lesson for him. He's really afraid he can't do the school work, too, which tells me how much his self-confidence is lacking. He's a SMART kid and was in accelerated classes beginning in first grade so the ability is definitely there. If he does manage to get registered and still struggles, I will step in and figure out how to get him tested for a learning disability although I think it is a matter of him being challenged for one of the first times in his life.

I am horribly discouraged, too, because it looks like right now that he will be living with me for a while. If he gets into the school, I am going to meet with his dad because it is ridiculous for Andrew to live with me and have a 30 minute commute when he could live with his dad and have a 10 minute commute. Oh, and to add to all of the saga drama, he still hasn't found another vehicle, so I don't know how he's going to get to classes anyway!

On the bright side, I have a "date" tonight with the guy I've been sorta seeing. I'm not looking for a great romance or anything but it is nice to have a male presence in my life that is not my son. He lives way out in the country (27 miles --I'm going there) so he is going to pick up a pizza or wings on his way home from work and we will reheat them for dinner. (And, yes, I have allowed for the calories!) He won't let me pay for anything so I can at least save him the gas money of driving to town by taking a turn at going out to his home.

I also go for my pre-op appointment this afternoon. I'm getting ready to call the doctor that will be doing the surgery because I didn't think to ask him about wearing my contact while using the prophylactic antibiotic drops. I hope I can wear it because I sure to like being able to have some degree of vision in that eye!

Well, I just heard the pastor come in the door. I hope he just failed to send me the bulletin yesterday and is not just now beginning to work on it. **insert mean face** I am off to watch a You-Tube on how to get material into a widget for the website. Fun times!!

Have a great day!

Carol in NC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Pip ~ Love the birthday blanket. So cute.

Joyce ~ This is a new day! You can get back on track.

Becca ~ I have always just wanted to disappear in the crowd. I hate it if any attention is called to me. When I was the lead teacher for our community, having to speak to the parents at events scared me silly. You are so insightful and a lovely lady inside and out.

Margaret ~ What did you do when your tire went flat? I have a fear of this happening while I am on I-75 going to see my mom.

Love all the pictures everyone posts.

Rainy and chilly here today. Must walk the Pom and hate having to get out. This Sunday it's supposed to get really cold (for GA) and I don't look forward to that.

Carol
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 444 Member
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    I wish to walk thru this world with grace. To move through my world with a willowy sense about me. I wish there to be less of me and more of living. Looking back to how I felt when I was bigger, I made it a point to take up space. It mattered that I was a large obese woman with ideas, and opinions. Now, I would just love to enter a room and have someone say, "wow, that is a really nice sweater". It's not so much about changing societies opinion of how obese people acclimate. It's not so much about making a statement, its about living whole and at peace with myself. Having typed what I just typed, maybe I'm not as content as I let on....

Becca
    Oregon

Awe, Becca, what a break thru. I just want to hug you. Fat people are usually either at one end or the other of the "wanting to be accepted socially" scale. You say you were "in your face", I on the other hand tried to "hide" in the crowd. I wanted to not be seen at all. Upon entering a room I always looked to see if there was some one there fatter than me, I felt better if there was. We do a lot of hiding our feelings from others, but even worse is hiding them from ourselves.

You are truly an honest and insightful lady and make a wonderful contribution to our group. Love you, girl friend. Feel better.

Janetr okc

Janet, I felt like you --always checking the room for a larger person!
    Becca, you also show a great deal of truth and honesty when you write about living whole and at peace with yourself. And my heart jumped at the word "willowy". In the fall even though I have not lost much weight compared to some of you ladies and am still at the high end of overweight, for the first time in decades I felt almost willowy. It is a great feeling and let's not give up on trying to accomplish that dream. We have all lived long enough that having it all sounds a bit ridiculous, and the older we get the more we care about health rather than looks, but I bet we could could get closer to achieving wholeness, peace and "willowy-ness". Yet sometimes we have to acknowledge that good enough can be a great place to be and perfection is an unrealistic goal.
    I have been aiming for contentment over happiness--not there yet by a long shot but I'm getting better. Just like everything else you have to work at contentment and there are obstacles at every turn. If it helps to know you are not alone in the struggle...
    Betty ROC
    Also, Michele, I think you are doing the right thing with Bryan. Let me know if you get to the nail-biting stage with waiting for the ball to come back and need a friend -- I know the feeling very well and some days the waiting is very tough. Sometimes I falter after just a couple of weeks. But I did have two Skypes and a Christmas card...my reward for not going over the edge I guess. Honestly I feel something's gotta get shaken up for both of us this year in this department. The years are flying by, aren't they?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,041 Member
    Waiting here at the vets waiting for them to open up. It's killing me, she's crying
    yu0m19belqgb.jpeg
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    We had a lot or run watching Cracker throw up her toys and catching them. As for the vet; I'd write the vet to tell him about the rudeness of the brown haired woman and put confidential on the front of the envelope and tell him you are not coming back do long she is still there; that way the girl will get remanded and she will not know who told him that. Put "confidential" on the letter so that whoever gets them maybe she is not authorized to open his personal mail. Tell him that you won't be back so long as she is still working name and make sure you add your name to the letter and suggest that he call you to further discuss it. You can also put up with the vet if you liked him and take him in yourself and not allow her to take the dog with you and not turn him over to anybody take him from you. And tell him that you will return to the office if you like him or not.

Puppy proof your house so that he wont' chew on your plants (most of them are poisons). Dogs/puppies can't eat chocolate, grapes, or raisin, or human yogurt - they will get into them into their system and you probably won't even get him to the vet. Also important ask him how their service will handle emergencies as well. Do they keep a buzzer on them and is someone on call 24/7. We started taking our JRT to a local vet; and Shorty got bitten by snake and none of the would answer their messages - if they got them immediately (they called the person in charge when I called; telling the lady that it was a emergency and she still would not page him; so when went back to our regular vet because they have beepers to wear whenever there was a message for them. Not an answering service. She was wobbly; when I got there he treated her with the upmost care. Finding a good vet is like finding a good MD. We have a vet in town that does not like cats at all, so since we have both a cat and a dog that loves all animals.

Get a crate that has solid sides and a handle on it with a wire door and put a bed inside it; we use special treats for when she gets in it on her own. You might have to give the a little push if she is not ready to be crate trained. This will give her a dark place where she can go during the day. Those wire cages are not very comfortable and you'd need to put a towel or blanket in the to not hurt their feed; get one that is made for a dog that will be expected to grow into; but, that he will grow into. They won't $#*T where they sleep. I've left Cracker all day long and she hasn't made an wet spot. Put her in and take him out every 10 minutes and praise him a lot and then let him out into the yard. "Good Dog" you went into your kennel on your own. Try to give one word directions to them; say 'sit' not 'sit down' it confuses them if you say things. If you add two word that each have a specific command like 'sit' and 'down' - 'down' means you want them to stop jumping on things or somebody. Don't give a rawhide treat to them; they can be chewed and swallowed and choke on them. There are many other kinds of other treats you can give them. Even a deer antler without meat on it will do. Ask your vet what types of food or plants that might poison them. Then put the up high so he can't get to them. You can give them a chewable baby aspirin; but don't give them any other human medications unless your vet gives you permission to do so, not even Tylenol, Aleve, or any ibuprofen.

On a leash, tell him to 'heal' and make sure he stays on your left heel - use the lack of the leash out to show him you want him to walk beside you. He will probably balk at it; but, give him a sense you are giving that you are teaching him something; when he does it correctly. We broke Cracker from pooping on the deck because we'd say 'bad dog, pooping n my deck'. She doesn't do it much as often. Been close to a week. She knows what I mean when I tell her to 'go get in the bed, and 'now'. She thinks is she has her 'feet' in the bed - she us is actually in the bed. Ahh-huhh is a way of telling her to get her entire bed. She has started talking to us, like if either one goes out and she wants to go out - because she wants to go with me or Louis. She rarely barks; but, when she does that she is told that she has to 'use her inside voice - which is a most her whining.