The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just want to thank everyone with their input on snot rockets and how to dress for running in winter weather! You guys are awesome and very, very entertaining. I love it. I kept caught up with reading although life and, oddly enough for this time of year, allergies got in the way the last couple of days. I'm still on target though, so that is good.

@Virkati --so sorry to hear you are so sick. Sending out some good thoughts your way. I always enjoy reading your posts as I feel we're kind of similar with our distances and experience right now running, and I enjoy reading how you, and others in the same boat, are advancing and feeling about your running and your goals. Feel better soon!! But also, take it easy so you don't relapse. Then when you first get back, I imagine snot rockets will be something you can get some practice with.

So many of you others, wow, it's cool to see you get out in that cold weather. Even with great dressing tips, I'm a bit of a wimp with the cold. Although I know I'd likely be more comfortable in this cooler weather running, since I always feel so hot after a run. But I look at the near freezing temps (which is almost laughable compared to some of your guys' lower temperatures!) and think...uhhhh nope. But I'll get there. Plus, they have finally put some streetlights up on the backside of our neighborhood (almost tripped over them lying there at the side of the road before they got the holes dug and they were set up while I was running the other night, that's how dark it is back there) so at least I know there will be better light on that part of my evening neighborhood runs.

And I'll keep reading on and enjoying the camaraderie among this group. It is definitely one of the funniest, most helpful, and supportive groups on this site.

1/2 6.5 miles
    1/3 3.5 miles
    1/7 4.0 miles
    14 miles out of a goal of 55 done so far.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I quit running with music over the summer. But my play list favs were

Fancy Iggy
    Fat lip Sum41
    F the rest and GD Falling in reverse
    Strut Adam Lambert.
    There was one from queen I can't remember the title. But, I love all queen.

I have quite a collection of stuff my kids listened to. Icp, cotton mouth kings, botdf, twizted, stone sour, bring me the horizion... Then my stuff is Otis Redding, kc, queen, lorde, Iggy, Jason derulo, mandisa, and Lenny kravitz.

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Today... for the first day in about 3 months, I totally rested. I didn't swim. I didn't bike. I didn't run. I just sat around, watched some TV&Movies and read. I need to do it again tomorrow before I can do a final 2 mile shake out run on Saturday before Sunday's marathon. I'm going insane.

Yesterday's short marathon pace run went ok. Weather was great, but my heart rate at a Boston qualifying marathon pace was settled in near the end at about 4 BPM above where I want to be in the first half of the marathon. It may drop after a few days of rest, but I'd much rather put in a solid 3:15 and qualify for a guaranteed Chicago spot in the fall, then crash & burn going for broke. If I can post even splits on Sunday, and stay below my magical 163 BPM heart rate for the first 135 minutes, I'll call it a win. Weather is looking like it'll be 65 w. 94% humidity at the start, so I'm going to need to listen to my body.

1/3 - 10 miles (5 speedwork, 5 slow)
    1/4 - 7 miles
    1/6 - 3 miles (@ MP)

Total: 20 miles
    Goal: 180 miles
    Remaining: 160 miles
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Other faves are:

*New Dress - Rancid (this song sets my pace on long runs!)
    *My Hero - Foo Fighters
    *Cosby Sweater - Hilltop Hoods (a local band!! Pretty good beat if anyone wants to look it up!)
    *Awful - Hole
    *Sexy *kitten* - David Guetta
    *Everyday Formula - Regurgitator (Awesome 90's Aussie band ;) )
    *Forever Yellow Skies - Cranberries

....Just to name a few :wink:
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Avoiding offensive words while singing along actually sounds like a good idea - I should have thought of that sooner :-P Just a couple of days ago I had just copied a Gloryhammer-CD that I got for Christimas onto my phone, and was happily singing along to the first song when I had to stop at a road crossing. I was at "fireballs and lightning are raining from the sky, chaos and bloodshed while all the people die..." when I realised the cyclist who had stopped next to me at the traffic light looked at me like I might be some deranged serial killer.
    Almost as good as @Elise4270 's songs about murder and drugs, I guess :-P
    Ha - this made me laugh out loud!
    @runner_girl83 - that is one of my favorite Rage against the Machine songs! I don't know that I have one favorite running song. I have 3 or 4 playlists that I rotate through depending on what I feel like at the moment. Recently I have been enjoying Muse - Supermassive Black Hole, Depeche Mode - Policy of Truth and Personal Jesus, Elephant by Tame Impala, Kurt Vile - Pretty Primpin and I'm an Outlaw. I also recently added some songs from Twin Shadow to my favorite playlist. They may not all be the best 'running' songs but I enjoy them :)

I have come to realize I cannot come here any more before I go to bed. I get wrapped up reading and responding and I end up not getting enough sleep!

Tomorrow I am going to look for a video or description of a lunge that my trainer had me do tonight that helps to strengthen the muscles in your ankles and feet. It was difficult but I think it will really help. I will post it for anyone who wants to give it a try.
  • JohnLang2013
    JohnLang2013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Training for my my first Marathon in March 2016.

exercise.png
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    410m walk in 5.00
    3km run in 16.26
    420m walk in 4.34
    1km run in 5.26

Wonder if my gps is playing up as didn't feel that fast!

Not fun weather tonight - still 27 degrees (Celsius) at 8pm with 50km/hour winds!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    January Goal—will try for 140 km, half marathon Feb 7 and I’m behind in my training

1/6—3.89 km or so…first run after being sick…still congested and a bit sick
    1/7—3.40 km—still feeling icky so keeping it short. Just ran around my complex
    1/8—5.29 km..about to kill my lungs. Sick of the congestion
  • tweekedgirl
    tweekedgirl Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Another lunch time run, same route as the last one, in reverse with a tiny bit more tacked on at the end.

1/1 - 3.36
    2/1 - 3.08
    5/1 - 3.08
    8/1 - 3.25

Total 12.77/35
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-Rest day
    2-Flare/rest day
    3-13.13mi The first six had me convinced i was going to turn around. the rest was nice.
    4-rest day
    5-pain day :(
    6-3.23 mi. it looked slow but i ran fartlek-esque, but still had to avoid ice flows.
    7-6.46 mi it was fun. I pushed hard. I'm glad my heart monitor works again.
    8-rest day

exercise.png

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run
    Feb 13-21 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k
    ?Mar 14-Great Pi Run?
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere

• NezyRumRunner
    NezyRumRunner Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I think im going to pass my goal! But I won't count my chickens before they hatch.
    Jan1-7=20.5 miles

Maybe the wind be at your back, folks!
    Catch ya'next Friday :smiley:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

What's everyone's favourite fast song to run to?
    Get Thru This by Art of Dying
    Shut me Up by Mindless Self Indulgence
    Love me or Hate me by Lady Sovereign
    Werk Me by HyperCrush
    Go Hard by Kreayshawn
    anything by sixx am, x regenades, redlight kings, mudvayne, skrillex

I also wanted to post two pictures from my road trip
    Trying to get to this spot, I could barely breathe. This is when I decided to get fitter.
    16218736644_33e378bb8c.jpg

and this was just fun
    16815643356_24ee1429c5.jpg
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Since I don't listen to music while running I really don't know what my favorite running songs are. But my tastes span many decades and genres now (especially with some grown kids now) and I can definitely see myself enjoying most of what has been posted so far! So if I ever make a running playlist and put in some earbuds I have some seeds to get started.
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Training for my my first Marathon in March 2016.

exercise.png

Welcome! I'm also training for my first marathon--March 20th!
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Favorite running songs... I use Pandora for my music, and am currently crushing on an "Uptown Funk" station. It plays everything from Superstition (Stevie Wonder) to Michael Jackson (really love this 18 + minute medley of his songs it plays) to Bang Bang (Jessie J/Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj).
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My playlist is all over the map for sure. But one of my favorites is "Revival" by Jamestown Revival. There is a line in that song that says " Ain't easy and I know it's gonna hurt, but it keeps me alive". I sing that line out loud regardless of where I am!
  • KWKirkbride
    KWKirkbride Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    1-2: 3 miles (had to walk a little)
    1-4: 3 miles (had to walk a little)
    1-6: 3 miles (no f'n walking)
    1-7: 3 miles - ran up 32 floors in 5.5 minutes and then did 20 minutes of interval stairs (up 6 floors, walk down, 10 pushups, right back up. Counting this as three miles)

Goal: 12 of 30
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Thanks I hope it gets better too. I was missing my runs and my post run smoothie...lol :smile:

Jan 3 - 4k run
    Monday Jan 4 - went surfing for 1 hour and 30 minutes
    Tuesday Jan 5 - went swimming laps for 50 minutes.
    Wednesday Jan 6 - worked my wonderful 12 hour shift.
    Jan 7 - 5k run
    Jan 8 - 5k run
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    1/1: 6.2 miles
    1/2: 11.6 miles
    1/3: Rest/Travel day
    1/4: 10 miles
    1/5: Rest day
    1/6: 4 miles (am), 8 miles tempo (pm)
    1/7: 4 miles (am), 6 miles with the Thursday crew (pm)
    1/8: Rest day

REST DAY! Finally! And it's a miracle I'm not hungover after the Pub Run last night. But I've got a long day of paper writing ahead of me... a marathon of a different sort! Gotta love finals! ;)

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
    6/12: Race and Ride Cedar Point HM (maybe)

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @Moyer566 - Love that forest sign! :lol: Was the first pic from arches National Park? Sure looks it, but I must admit after a while in southern Utah many arches start looking the same. I've never been up to that arch if it is. I've hiked through parts of Zion Canyon though. Would really like to have loads of time to hike many areas out in that part of the country there some day.