The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning Yup, it is the main arch. There was a hill that just killed me. just walking up it. i was crying because I had to make such an effort to get up it. My myalgia was bothering me that day but not THAT much. And i didn't want to be that person any more.

here is me when i made it
    19749950653_87681e4ec0.jpg

here's info on the trail

I hope to do a Moab run at some point. It will be a return to a place where my life changed
    (and i want to do one around CO national monument park too-where i got engaged)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Newbie welcomes to @Ericsmi @whatang

Fast running song? hmmm…right now, Arcade Fire “Keep the Car Running…”. My running music veers from the 20s (I have seriously run to “Ain’t We Got Fun?” before) to stuff off current Top 40/rock and all kinds of genres.

Didn't get my run in this morning so it's looking like a night run for me...

Ditto @_nikkiwolf_ : and LOL at the “chaos and bloodshed while all the people die..” singalong
    I usually try to run towards the traffic, and rather switch the direction of my course (i.e., once "clockwise", next day "counter-clockwise") than run on the wrong side. Despite of my bright neon running clothes and blinking LEDs, I once nearly twisted my ankle when I had to jump out of the way of a car at the last moment – I prefer to see them coming as long in advance as possible, especially when it's dark...

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

exercise.png

01/01 0
    01/02 3.5miles
    01/03 0
    01/04 3miles
    01/05 0
    01/06 4miles
    01/07 0
    01/08 3.5miles. Took my dog along today, he loved it and it helped distract me as I was feeling really lethargic.
  • Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @moyer566 Love your photos. I would love to see this place someday. Another one to add to the bucket list. That puppy is getting long...lol

Running music.....I don't actually listen to bands when I run....too much change up....I like to listen to dj sets. They generally are 2 hours long and that 4x4 tempo keeps me moving at a great pace.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 wow that is just beautiful!

Running songs. My iPod is a bit of a hoot since it used to be Skip's and I'm techno stupid to get her music off. That being said I run to anything from Black Sabbath to the Chicken Dance. ha ha! Some of my favorites though are Born to Run and Rosalita by the Boss (can't be a Jersey girl and not listen to the Boss). Songs that Skip put on there that I like are Megan Trainor's "lips are movin'" (I do more dancing than running though) and Katy Perry "California Gurls". Half the songs you all mentioned I never heard of, I need to get out more. I am a 80s rock girl crossed with a 80s country girl in my music tastes.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom and @Remus42 Thanks
    I'm lucky because fiance likes road trips and I grew up with road trips. and we both do amateur photography (me)
  • deannaaaaaaaaa
    deannaaaaaaaaa Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    January 1st- 3.5 miles
    January 4th- 6 miles
    January 5th- 3.5 miles
    January 6th- 4 miles
    January 7th- 3.1 miles

Total so far: 20.1 miles
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @moyer566 - I hear you on it being life changing out there. That is really cool about the hike and you pushing yourself. That had to be amazing. Now that you mention CO National Monument, I recall some nice hiking down along some creek beds to the cliffs overlooking the big horseshoe area with the balanced rock out in the middle in the distance. I'm not familiar with that Moab run, but I have seen the National Parks Half Marathons where you run around some of those areas, like Zion canyon, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell. I was really tempted to sign up for one last year but the logistics weren't working out (or the dates). Definitely on my bucket list though. While they do not get to run inside the actual parks (due to park service regulations) they run around key perimeter points. When I was talking to someone who did the Zion half and asked how it was even not being in the actual park, he started describing where the were, what things looked like, and that's when I remembered that there is not a spec of land in that part of the world that isn't amazing and wouldn't be cool as hell to run through.
  • MorningGhost14
    MorningGhost14 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES...............TOTAL
    1/1....................REST...................0.00
    1/2.....................16.00.................16.00
    1/3.......................5.00.................21.00
    1/4.....................REST................21.00
    1/5.......................7.00.................28.00
    1/6.......................5.00.................33.00
    1/7.......................7.00.................40.00
    1/8...................WEIGHTS...........40.00

exercise.png

exercise.png

One of those love/hate rest days... I would be just fine if I didn't see all of you people running without me. So in the future, if you don't mind, please adjust your running schedules and rest days to coincide with mine so I can stop feeling so verklempt. Thank you.

• WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14 - Get out there and run some more! Actually, I can't talk. I'm not running today. Today was strength building.

Speaking of which...

Anyone here do Obstacle Course Races? Have any advice on training? Want to do one (or two) this year.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning and @moyer566 - I agree about that part of the country being mind-blowing. We visited Zion, Grand Canyon and Lake Powell in fall of 2014. Just amazing. We did a repelling trip out side of Zion and the area where we were was every bit as amazing as the hikes we did in the park. The boundaries on the park seem almost arbitrary...everything around there is amazing. We stayed in a campground right outside of the park and I remember waking in my tent in the middle of the night to hear the thunder echoing as it rumbled through the canyon. I have never heard anything like that in my life! I was just getting over a pretty bad illness at the time and my doctor questioned whether I should take the trip. I went anyway. Hiking up Angel's Landing had to be the highlight of the trip. My hubby and our friend chickened out close to the top, so I completed the hike on my own. There was no way I wasn't doing it, having come that far. It was like going from an extreme low to the ultimate high, both literally and figuratively.

One of the ultra runners on this site did an ultra through Antelope Canyon (last year I think). The recap was phenomenal. You can probably find it if you search around the Long Distance Runners group. Made me actually consider doing an ultra. If I ever was to do one, that would definitely be it!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Favorite running songs... I use Pandora for my music, and am currently crushing on an "Uptown Funk" station. It plays everything from Superstition (Stevie Wonder) to Michael Jackson (really love this 18 + minute medley of his songs it plays) to Bang Bang (Jessie J/Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj).

I have a 180bpm playlist that includes modified versions of Uptown Funk, Bang Bang, and even Your Lips Are Moving that @skippygirlsmom menitoned. LOL

Some of them are funny after the modifications (speed up).

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for January

1/1 4 miles - 4
    1/2 13.5 miles - 17.5
    1/3 REST DAY
    1/4 10 miles - 27.5
    1/5 9 miles - 36.5
    1/6 5.5 miles - 42
    1/7 10 miles - 52
    1/8 6.05 miles - 58.05

exercise.png

• rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Wow I can't imagine running in some of the places you guys are talking about, it sounds incredible. And the heat. I think the heat would kill me, as I much prefer the cold!

1/01 - 4.7 walk/run treadmill
    1/02 - rest, did a half hour x-country ski
    1/03 - 4.5 walk/run treadmill
    1/04 - rest
    1/05 - 3.7+ (I shut off the treadmill during the run..oops)11 min steady run
    1/06 - rest
    1/07 - 4.4 ran all the run bits, first time. did two 10 min runs. felt awesome.
    1/08 - rest, went for a ski, beautiful sunny winter weather!

exercise.png

Treadmill runner for now, following zombies5k. Running at 180spm seems to be keeping the shin splints at bay.
  • mbaker566
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @WhatMeRunning
    I got engaged under this rock
    colorado-national-monument-balanced-rock.jpg

@lporter229
    I can only imagine what the race would be like. I think I would want to take too many pictures. the area is so gorgeous
    16714235818_fdbbed8833_n.jpg
    16279511754_a23012e9eb_n.jpg

@rune1990
    I don't like the heat, the heat is horrible. i am much happier to be running in this 20 degree weather
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    This place is crazy, I'm gone 3 days and there are 275 new messages! Don't know if I'll be able to keep up.

I didn't run Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday. Monday I got ready for my trip to South Dakota, Tuesday drove out there and Wednesday I drove back. I had planned to stop in Sioux Falls to run on the way home but heavy fog, freezing mist, and slippery roads slowed me down enough that I had to skip it.

To make up for it ran too far yesterday. Planned on 5 or 6, but did 8. My calf was fine until about mile 6. Now there's just a bit of discomfort...not really pain. I hope to do 3 or 4 tonight and this time will stick to the plan. Tonight will by my last run in "balmy" weather for a while. Should be about 28F tonight but will drop down as an arctic front moves in and when I run Sunday morning I expect it to be below zero with wind chills of -15F to -20F. That will be a new experience but I'm actually looking forward to it. My plan is to do 1 mile loops near my house as long as I can stand it. The loop has a shortcut that will allow me to bail out at a half mile if needed. I'll finally get to wear my SmartWool tights, which have been too warm for the weather we've had so far, temps down to 14F. I'll also be wearing a balaclava for the first time and, if needed, I have a pair of ski goggles to protect my eyes from the wind. Won't I look great! Unfortunately that's too cold for Kody so I'll have to deal with his sad eyes when I leave.

I've got some catching up to do if I'm going to get my goal this month.

Thanks to those of you who offered your condolences. My cousin's funeral was sad and beautiful and I'm so glad I made it out there.
    ou73xgdjemwy.jpeg

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I wanted to hit 25 miles last month for my first month back after injury and I ended up at 30+. I think I will try for a stretch goal of 40 miles as I am trying add miles so I have a longer run once a week and 3 miles each of the rest of the runs.

1/1 4.0 miles. First run of the new year. Tripped over Neeko 3 times but otherwise good and already 2 minutes faster then last time.
    1/3 2.0 miles. Legs were tired today so did an easy mile to warm up then did intervals (fartleks?speed play?) for the second mile.
    1/5 1.0 miles. Did an easy mile on the treadmill before my session with my personal trainer just to warm up and wake up my legs.
    1/6 4.0 miles. Did a slow steady pace on the treadmill and made it thru all 4 miles with only 2 walk breaks. A .25 mile warm up is included in that milage total though.
    1/8 3.0 miles. Technically 3.1 but I am only counting full miles, and maybe half if I get desperate. That was a nice run but I overdressed and overheated. It was 40 and rainy and I had on a heavy shirt, a sweatshirt, a hat and gloves.

14.0 down 26 to go

• Calli1616
    Calli1616 Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - yes! Please post the lunge exercise. I have some of the weakest ankles and am always trying to work on them!
    @Ch1psNQueso - Gah! Stairs! My nemesis!

Favorite running songs - changes daily! Right now I'm liking We Care a Lot by Faith No More and some Muse and Artic Monkey tunes. Tomorrow will be different!
  • mbaker566
    Options
    @7lenny7 hugs