The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone. I wanted to hit 25 miles last month for my first month back after injury and I ended up at 30+. I think I will try for a stretch goal of 40 miles as I am trying add miles so I have a longer run once a week and 3 miles each of the rest of the runs.

1/1 4.0 miles. First run of the new year. Tripped over Neeko 3 times but otherwise good and already 2 minutes faster then last time.
    1/3 2.0 miles. Legs were tired today so did an easy mile to warm up then did intervals (fartleks?speed play?) for the second mile.
    1/5 1.0 miles. Did an easy mile on the treadmill before my session with my personal trainer just to warm up and wake up my legs.
    1/6 4.0 miles. Did a slow steady pace on the treadmill and made it thru all 4 miles with only 2 walk breaks. A .25 mile warm up is included in that milage total though.
    1/8 3.0 miles. Technically 3.1 but I am only counting full miles, and maybe half if I get desperate. That was a nice run but I overdressed and overheated. It was 40 and rainy and I had on a heavy shirt, a sweatshirt, a hat and gloves.
    1/11 2.0 miles. Had rain/freezing rain / snow yesterday and last night so ended up on the treadmill. Could only manage 2 miles before I had to get ready for work because I procrastinated so much. I will make it up this week as I am planning on trying for 5 miles Wednesday but realistically will be happy with 4.5. I think I am still on track for the month.
    1/12 3.0 miles. Was planning on today being a rest day and making Wednesday a long run, but life interfered and I have to go somewhere early tomorrow morning and I won't be home from work until midnight (if I am lucky) tonight. I am now planning on a 4-5 mile run Friday. Today was good and dressed perfectly for the weather (snowy and windy and 20 degrees) but the roads were really icy so I kept it short to be safe before I became road kill from the crazy drivers around here.

19.0 down 21 to go
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    With all this discussion I had to do it. I put screws in my shoes. It doesn't seem to work too well, though. I cant' lift them off the floor now. I must have done something wrong.
    With all this discussion I had to do it. I put screws in my shoes. It doesn't seem to work too well, though. I cant' lift them off the floor now. I must have done something wrong.

OMG I just spit water all over my desk. thank you! ha ha!!!!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    @MorningGhost14, @WhatMeRunning, @7lenny7 Your discussion of shoe screwing is cracking me up :smiley:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

I would say that you "nailed" it. get it? :lol:
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @MorningGhost14, @WhatMeRunning, @7lenny7 Your discussion of shoe screwing is cracking me up :smiley:

Hey, nice shoes. Wanna screw... uhhh I mean screw them? You know, because there is ice out on the road?
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @Stoshew71 Killing it! You're going to be well over 200 by the end of the month at this rate!
    lporter229 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. you wasted no time getting back at it! Nice job!

Thank you ladies. Yeah, I will find out (or pay for it) later if i needed to take a longer break. I really do want to get back into it. I was way to close to missing out on BQ that I wanted.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    I am looking for some advice please from you lovely experts. If my standard pace that I can do for 7k is 7-7.5kph and I am trying to do 400m intervals to improve my speed:
    What speed should I be doing these at for the "quick" part? (Tried 9kph today - struggled more than expected)
    What speed should I be recovering at between quick intervals , a 6kph walk or 7-7.5kph?
    How long should recovery be? 200m?
    I am doing it on the treadmill so can control the distances and speeds easily. Thanks in advance :blush:
    Also, is anyone able to help me with my speed question please?

I will refer back to Jack Daniel's definitions for his 2 main speed workouts: Interval Training & Repetition Training.

Reps are supposed to be done at your current mile race pace.
    Intervals are supposed to be done at 6-8 seconds per 400m slower (24-32 seconds per mile) than your mile race pace.

With Interval Training, the amount of time you do hard work, you get equal rest. So if you were doing 400's and it took you 2 minutes at your interval pace to do the 400, then the rest is also 2 minutes.

With Repeats, they are done faster with bigger rest in between. The rest time is 2-3x longer than the work part.
    So if you were doing 200 meter reps and it took you 45 seconds to do it, then your rest period in between is like a minute and a half - maybe even 2 minutes 15 seconds.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

Hey, nice shoes. Wanna screw... uhhh I mean screw them? You know, because there is ice out on the road?

LOL!

Oh great! Now we'll have to identify with a gender, @MorningGhost14. I was just told "person" wasn't an option... So I'm official gender confused. See the can of worms you opened up but wandering in to the forums? Wait? Is "gender confused" an option? JK Shlt, its like Jr high all over again. I thought I fit in, but suddenly I don't.

Just giving @MorningGhost14 a hard time.
  • Stoshew71
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Speaking of getting faster at long distances, this is a video of Josh Whitehead (I literally stumbled on it by accident just a few minutes ago and got really excited). @skippygirlsmom and I have talked about this guy quite a lot. He is the guy at the recent Rocket City Marathon when Skip and mom were volunteers and were handing out medals at the finish line & this guy took the time out to talk to Skip. He is 1 of 2 elite studs in our area here in Huntsville, AL. He talks to this guy in the video about what it takes to get a sub 3 hour marathon. This was like 4 years ago this interview. he's even faster now. But he talks about high mileage (can we say 120 miles a week? and 24 mile long runs?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox5zqYEtFzw

• 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @Virkati that Raptor dog is a beauty! I hope you have fun taking him on a trial buddy-run. I know what you mean about the lifestyle changes, though. Having a dog has meant adding in one more layer of complexity to an already complicated life, especially when it comes to travel. And because our dog is a rescue with a dicey past, we've also had to learn to deal with some *really* challenging behaviors as well.

As for all you shoe-screwers...well, there really isn't anything more to say about that, is there? I hope you enjoyed yourselves and poor @7lenny7 will someday recover from his screwing...accident.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ^^^ah hahahahah! @5BeautifulDays . Stan your group is out of control! Enough screwing around...

Thanks for all the addresses. I'll organize the order list (from what you told me you ordered) and put it out so errors can be addressed before they ship to you.

I have 8 envelopes left over. So, get a shirt!

Here is the order form:

https://www.customink.com/g/aeg0-00ad-vcjx

@Stoshew71 if you order a shirt I won't send you money if you REALLY don't want me too. I can sent it to Skip, cuz she's awesome.
  • ceckhardt369
    ceckhardt369 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    January Running Totals (km)

1/1
    1/2
    1/3
    1/4
    1/5
    1/6
    1/7
    1/8
    1/9
    1/10- 1.61
    1/11
    1/12- 3.50
    1/13
    1/14
    1/15
    1/16
    1/17
    1/18
    1/19
    1/20
    1/21
    1/22
    1/23
    1/24
    1/25
    1/26
    1/27
    1/28
    1/29
    1/30
    1/31

Total 5.11/45km
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Wow this thread is hard to keep up with. I catch up but so hard to comment.

@Ohhim - nice race reports. Congrats on the PR.
    @kristinegift -wow, what a deal.

Today was a 30 minute run off the bike, mostly at low tempo with a couple of pickups. Ended up being about 5k. I tried my new shoes again and stretched a lot after. They feel good running, it's just after.

Since I have a 10k run Friday, I'm definitely going to have to up my goal for this month.

exercise.png

My next race is the couples run on Feb 7. My friend and I are running as a couple (they take each 5k time and combine it for a 10k time).
  • healthierhappierpaige95
    Options
    1/1/16-3.0miles
    1/2/16-4.33miles
    1/3/16-Rest
    1/4/16-3.0miles
    1/5/16-4.27miles
    1/6/16-Rest
    1/7/16-3.25miles
    1/8/16-Rest
    1/9/16-3.25miles
    1/10/16-Rest
    1/11/16-3.0miles
    1/12/16-4.25miles
    Total-28.35miles

exercise.png
  • summerdaze120
    summerdaze120 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    So many posts, so little time . . .

January Running Totals (miles)
    1/1 - 10.17 warm up + 7.5 mile race
    1/2 - 12.29 long slow run
    1/3 - 5.16 easy with fast finish
    1/4 - 6.01 easy
    1/5 - 11.09 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/6 - 5.95 group run
    1/7 - 8.04 warmup, speed work, cool down
    1/8 - scheduled rest day
    1/9 - 16.48 warm up + Winter Warrior Half
    1/10 - 7.46 easy
    1/11 - 10.07 easy
    1/12 - 8.39 warmup, speed work, cool down

January to date total - 101.11

Goal - 51 to 62 miles per week, per training plan
    expected January total - 245 to 251 miles

Today's notes - Tuesday evening is speed work at the 200 m indoor track. 2 mile warm up before and 2 mile cool down after are the standard. I'm ignoring the generic workouts Coach is putting out for the club in general; I fall under the clause, "or follow a plan." The marathon training plan speed work assignment today was 4 x 200 at R, with 200 recovery; 2 x 1600 at T, with 200 recovery; and 4 x 200 at R, with 200 recovery.

This workout kicked my butt. My first set of 4 x 200 at R was a bit faster than target. I ran the 2 x 1600 fairly accurately. Then I was compelled to run the second set of 4 x 200 at R accurately. In fact, I had to push pretty hard just to maintain that target R pace. Then I had to take a break before I was ready to do the cool down run, and another break after the cool down before I could handle my post-run stretches.

Running at R is a b*tch. I don't know how I'd survive a structured program like this pointing at a 5K instead of pointing at a marathon.

I'm really going to appreciate running easy tomorrow, even if it turns out to be running in a snow shower. Which seems likely.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY - need to register)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Foward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY - need to register)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

Hahaha.. you screwed them to the floor :lol: Okay, okay.. So all this laughing aside now.. Are the screws meant to give you better traction in the snow so you don't slip?
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    January 2016
    02/1…13.02…easy…8’27 pace – 1:50:10
    03/1…rest
    04/1…5.06…pram…8’40 pace – 43:52
    05/1…rest
    06/1…5.01…easy…7’24 pace – 37:07
    07/1…6.01…fast…5’47 pace – 34:46
    08/1…rest
    09/1…10.02…New Yr 10K…7’10 pace – 1:11:58
    10/1…rest
    11/1…5.01…pram…9’02 pace – 45:17
    12/1…rest
    13/1…7.02…easy…7’57 pace – 55:50…26 deg C/ 69% humidity

TOT: 51.15 km / 90 km

Horrible run! Started the run at 7:45am - 26 degrees C and 69% humidity.. Seemed much worse! Felt sluggish and legs hard to get moving. Luckily I parked the car half way so was able to stop for a good drink of water.. I'm sure I lost litres of sweat.. Just hope I've done enough to replace it all!...

I also tried using the "My Asics" app, which I am using for my HM training plan, only once I finished my 7km run I realized the app's GPS had dropped out at 80 metres into the run! Grrrr!! It also had NO voice prompts, so no idea how much I had run or my pace (I have had to guess it today!) Luckily I have run this route a fair bit in the past so know that it was exactly 7k!

Will have to enter my runs to the training plan manually I think in future.

Spibelt worked a treat too! Very happy with it and barely felt it.. It did move on occassion, but nothing too bad. Just need to decide on a running bottle now so I don't have to go to the car at the half way point for a drink! Was looking at this bottle.. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pursuit-510ml-Runners-Hand-Held-Bottle-Running-Water-Bottle-Sports-Gym-Summit-/361152890485?hash=item541663c675:g:eOUAAOSwo6lWHdvt As I've heard the Spibelt bottles (the little ones that clip to the side of the belt) come off really easily during runs?
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Goal: 100km

1st 5k treadmill
    2nd 5k park run
    3rd 12k run
    4th 5k walk
    5th gym
    6th 7k run
    7th rest
    8th gym
    9th 5k park run
    10th 10k run
    11th 6k walk
    12th gym
    13th 7k run

Total 62km

@7lenny7 Took me ages to build up the confidence to join a running group. Finally emailed the trainer to ask about it and then still took another three weeks to actually turn up. So glad I did as I've meet some great people and it definitely makes those km's go by quicker. Sounds like a great store they've got there.

Love reading all your winter running stories, couldn't even imagine running in layers of clothing letting alone putting tape and screws in my shoes.
    Like @runner_girl83 this morning I ran at 6am at 25 dec Celsius and 50% humidity. Don't think there was an inch on my body that wasn't dripping in sweat by the time I got home.