• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    hope516 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Your son is a bully.

an observant and honest little chap by the sound of it.

His head hasn't been filled with the PC BS that awaits him.

Refraining from insulting our loved ones is now "PC BS"?

Good question. I would also add that teaching your child to care about not intentionally hurting other peoples feelings isn't what I'd call "PC BS" either.

I don't understand why fat is such an offensive word???

If you called me brunette, I wouldn't get offended.

Fat is not a bad word. Skinny people have fat. Fat people have more fat than skinny people.

Society puts a negative connotation on fat and thats why it is so offensive. But you can't give it the power to make you feel worthless or lazy or anything else. If you are fat you are fat.

I am fat.

Its a word.

Does it encompass the kick *kitten* rock star I am???? HELL NO!!

In our society, calling someone fat, except in small children, isn't a description like you have brown hair. Usually people aren't using the denotation of the word fat as in "you have fat" they are using the connotation which has an association of judgement and impacts self worth. Even when someone IS using the denotation of the word, most people still hear the connotation. Whether good or bad, most people have been trained to use and assume the connotation of the word fat. Language is more than dictionary meanings of words. Language includes implications and culturally acceptable meanings outside the realms of the dictionary definition and the word fat is a good example of this.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You are teaching your child eating habits. You are teaching your child exercise habits. You are teaching your child how to treat other people and how to deal with emotions.

Setting a good example for him should be MORE than enough motivation to get yourself to where you need to be. If it isn't, you seriously need to reevaluate your own fitness as a parent.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I get that you are not trying to get parenting advice from a diet board, so I am just telling this little antidote cause it cracks me up, My niece told my sister at about that age, "momma your pretty red panties are too tiny for your big fat booty!" I do love kids.

When my daughter was 3, she was in the bathtub and I was brushing my teeth. She said to me "mommy, I hate to tell you this, but you have a little bit of a big butt", which was true because I had not lost all the "baby-weight" yet. So I laughed, realized she was right, and decided to replace the morning danish with a cereal bar, and stop buying dessert in the lunch line.

It was a very innocent yet truthful remark on her part. And it was also 17 years ago. Before MFP and the other tools we have available now to help with our weight loss goals.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    I try to think about this from a 5 year old's perspective:

"Don't you ever lie to me or you gonna get it."

"It's okay to lie sometimes so you don't hurt people's feelings."

"It's better to just keep your mouth shut."

"It's good to express your feelings."

Now honestly, he's trying to decide what's avenue to take when he wants to say something after hearing stuff like this?
    WE ARE THE ADULTS HERE. Understand that he's just conveying what he sees with what limited knowledge he has. If it's an adolecent or teen fine. But come on now. It's a child.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Now honestly, he's trying to decide what's avenue to take when he wants to say something after hearing stuff like this?
    WE ARE THE ADULTS HERE. Understand that he's just conveying what he sees with what limited knowledge he has. If it's an adolecent or teen fine. But come on now. It's a child.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I love everything in your post except the picture of the Niners! lol Go JETS..ok, maybe next season? :p
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    If I ever called my mother something like that, my father would have made it so I never would even *think* to utter such disrespectful words ever again... but that's another issue.

I'm thinking you have some self-confidence issues. Hey, we ALL fail at something...every day! What distinguishes successful and non-successful people are the ones who get back up every single day and try again. So you messed up today, tomorrow is a chance to start over again. You have to take control and silence the voice that wants to concentrate on the failures. You have to decide not to allow self-loathing to become a lifestyle and break the cycle. It is up to YOU and no one else.

I suggest maybe talking to a therapist to get at the root of your problem, and when you start to see yourself in a more positive light, you'll see longer term success.

Good luck.

It's weird because in every other area of my life I am a perfectionist. I am a 4.0 grad student working full time and pride myself on having a spotless house. It's like, I run out of energy to take care of myself because I have so many other things going on.
    However your body isn't something you have full voluntary control of. It heals on it's own, it breathes on it's own, digests food on it's own. What you do have control over though is how much you consume. A basically you just need to put your foot down.............on you.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    "No, he is 5 and said something when he was angry. That doesn't mean it is desired behavior but he is a sweet and caring little boy, not a bully. And that's beside the point" Really??
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Your son is a bully.

What? Did you miss the part where she said he was 5?

OP why would this make you cry ..he's absorbed the word fattie as an insult and you need to address how it's not ok to ever comment on anyone's appearance

He won't be embarrassed about you..you're his mother ..it will be fine

Now if you want to drop weight that's another thing...you just have to stick to your calorie defecit across the week

That's where it starts. Bully regardless.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "No, he is 5 and said something when he was angry. That doesn't mean it is desired behavior but he is a sweet and caring little boy, not a bully. And that's beside the point" Really??

Five-year-olds do all kinds of things that would be troubling if done by older people. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. It means they're five.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Name-calling a parent, even at the age of five, suggests that parental authority and limits on behavior have not been sufficiently established.
    Oh please. You ever wonder where name calling behavior comes from? Kids don't learn it from animals. Between 1-5 years old, children emulate what parents do. So if a kid has a nick name (which lots do), it's not unnatural for a child to make up a name for the parent. If fatty came up, they learned it from more than likely from the parent.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your son is a bully.

OP why would this make you cry ..he's absorbed the word fattie as an insult and you need to address how it's not ok to ever comment on anyone's appearance

Now if you want to drop weight that's another thing...you just have to stick to your calorie defecit across the week

Sorry, but pointing out that someone is fat is observant. Not mean. Especially for a child. I vividly remember my younger sister at that age asking someone why "they looked like that" in public. The woman responded "like what?". My younger sister said "like this" while making a puffed up face and holding her arms out like a round belly.

Kids do *kitten* like this because they have no filter. They aren't yet ingrained with such hateful judgement.

Observant. Not hateful. Unless of course you hate fat people, you think they are worth less than others, or you think it's something they should be ashamed of i see nothing wrong with pointing out someone is fat when you are 5 years old.

But i guess i'm just a bully for pointing that out.

Edit: incase i didn't make it clear enough, i'm suggesting that you are projecting. :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    I know it is hard but you just can not eat stuff like candy & popcorn when watching your calorie count. It is very important to be under or at your goal for each day. It helped me to consider many foods as off limits, mine were french fries, burgers, sweet tea, baked potatoes to name a few. You need to get your mind and body in sync and realize "yes, you can do this". My son was brutal too. He poked my large beer gut and asked "when is it due" and he was 32 at the time. I decided enough and started with exercise and then added reduced calories to the mix. It worked great, the more I started to see results and feel better the harder I worked at it. I still do not eat what I call "the bad foods" and am upping my exercise to offset some weight I put back on. I tell people not to call this a diet but a lifestyle change. You must make this change now and make it a habit so that it is natural and not a punishment. Your health, fitness and overall state will improve. This is important so you can be around this little guy for a long time. Good luck!

Some people may find it useful to eliminate foods like candy and popcorn while losing weight. But others can include them in their weight loss plans. For me (and some other people), declaring a food off-limits can actually lead to greater problems. OP needs to discover which way will work for her. She may be able to include candy and popcorn in her diet while losing weight. We have successful people here who have done that, including myself.

Agreed. I've never been successful completely eliminating some foods. Simply does not work for me. The "prohibition" makes moderation very difficult if I do get my hands on said food.

I guess I should have stated that while I prohibited or eliminated certain foods, I made those choices based on calories and food value and am better for it. Like no breakfast biscuits and switched to oatmeal and fruit (cholesterol dropped 50 points). I did reduce but not eliminate Scotch, wine and beer. So its not a ban on everything bad.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    You raised him, so somewhere along the way this is what he has been taught to do and he is only 5 what a shame.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    krithsai wrote: »
    I know it is hard but you just can not eat stuff like candy & popcorn when watching your calorie count. It is very important to be under or at your goal for each day. It helped me to consider many foods as off limits, mine were french fries, burgers, sweet tea, baked potatoes to name a few. You need to get your mind and body in sync and realize "yes, you can do this". My son was brutal too. He poked my large beer gut and asked "when is it due" and he was 32 at the time. I decided enough and started with exercise and then added reduced calories to the mix. It worked great, the more I started to see results and feel better the harder I worked at it. I still do not eat what I call "the bad foods" and am upping my exercise to offset some weight I put back on. I tell people not to call this a diet but a lifestyle change. You must make this change now and make it a habit so that it is natural and not a punishment. Your health, fitness and overall state will improve. This is important so you can be around this little guy for a long time. Good luck!

Some people may find it useful to eliminate foods like candy and popcorn while losing weight. But others can include them in their weight loss plans. For me (and some other people), declaring a food off-limits can actually lead to greater problems. OP needs to discover which way will work for her. She may be able to include candy and popcorn in her diet while losing weight. We have successful people here who have done that, including myself.

Agreed. I've never been successful completely eliminating some foods. Simply does not work for me. The "prohibition" makes moderation very difficult if I do get my hands on said food.

I guess I should have stated that while I prohibited or eliminated certain foods, I made those choices based on calories and food value and am better for it. Like no breakfast biscuits and switched to oatmeal and fruit (cholesterol dropped 50 points). I did reduce but not eliminate Scotch, wine and beer. So its not a ban on everything bad.

Your personal choices are your personal choices and nobody is second-guessing them. But they aren't a great basis for telling others what they can and can't eat. Your post said that OP couldn't eat candy and popcorn while counting calories. Maybe she can.

Maybe someone else chooses to avoid wine and beer while counting calories because that works for them. But they shouldn't tell you that you can't have them and count calories. You obviously can, you've found a way to make it work. Some people can do that with candy or popcorn.
  • tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yes.

Five-year-olds do all kinds of things that would be troubling if done by older people. It doesn't mean there is anything wrong with them. It means they're five.

Yes.
    Your son is a bully.

NO.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Maybe you are a bully.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    sanfromny wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I love everything in your post except the picture of the Niners! lol Go JETS..ok, maybe next season? :p
    Doubt it..............................we just hired Chip Kelly. :(

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    larali1980 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »

Maybe you are a bully.

A bully says and does things with intended malice. ;)
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    You raised him, so somewhere along the way this is what he has been taught to do and he is only 5 what a shame.

Lol yes. There is absolutely no way that a 5 year old could have outside influences beyond their mother.
  • Spiro290272
    Spiro290272 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You refer to your son as my thin 5 year old. It seems you place to much emphasis on what people think. The majority of people do not see fat or thin, they see other people. If you want to lose weight then do it for yourself, nobody else and not for how you want people to perceive you.
This discussion has been closed.