Replies

• threadmad
    threadmad Posts: 190 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    nikinuu wrote: »
    That picture of soggy bread turned my stomach a little bit those 'biscuits' arnt sweet are they?? If they are savoury guess it's just like us eating beans on toast are they toasted? Am I missing something? I must be

Not any sweeter than bread. And no, not toasted but preferrably fresh baked.

Hahaha oh Carlos, for most of us, bread isn't sweet. 'Murica.

Properly made American biscuits shouldn't be sweet at all.

Agree, and neither should cornbread. Cuz honey butter.

I grew up in the South, raised on real cornbread and real grits. Never had sweet cornbread until my 30s. Never have liked it.
    Grits with butter, salt, & pepper, never sugar. My grandpa would shake his head in genuine grief when he saw non southerners putting sugar on grits.

And my husband is a Brit. Been married almost 30 years, and sometimes I still don't understand him. <wink wink>

ETA. He introduced me to mushy peas
  • Dreamyriver
    Dreamyriver Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Seriously, I wake up to the news that Alan Rickman is dead and now I've depressed myself further by reading a thread extolling the virtues of scones and British biscuits.

Living the ex-pat life in Australia, I can only get proper British biscuits* and crisps when they're slightly stale (but still delicious) from the British Sweetie Shop... and although Australians profess to do Cream Teas... they put squirty cream on the scones.**

Colour me disappointed.

*Apart from Hobnobs and Dark Chocolate Digestives, which Coles, in their infinite wisdom, sell.
    **Well they do in the cafes in the two states I've lived. I'm prepared to be pointed to proper cream teas down under.

We DO do cream teas! But we call them Devonshire teas and whilst we don't have clotted cream (God help us) we usually do them with whipped double cream, not squirty whipped cream, that's tacky! Which state are you in? I find around Victoria and southern NSW in the quaint towns you find them, but they're a bit rarer in the cities unless you go to a place like Hopetoun Tea Rooms in Melbourne or an afternoon high tea at one of the hotels. We usually do them at home one a year on Mothers Day.

What are "proper crisps" haha, we LOVE our S&Vs which of course came from the British Isles. You can also find nice shortbread here and I've even seen Jaffa Cakes on the supermarket aisles occasionally in Melbourne.

I do bet you miss Monster Munch! Pickled onion flavour, mmmmm.

I've lived in SE Qld and now live in the Blue Mountains, NSW. I've also had scones and 'cream' in Hobart and Melbourne - squirty every time. We did see clotted cream somewhere once but can't for the life of me remember where!

Proper crisps - well in the UK, crisps tend to be thinly cut (like Smith's thinly cut, lol) rather than the thicker deli style that are typical in Australia. I was going to give up on crisps altogether before I found Smith's Thinly Cut Thai Sweet Chilli which are divine... but where are the bacon flavoured chips? They teased me for a while with a bacon flavour but it was just a limited edition.

For Christmas, the kids got me a box of Walkers Smokey Bacon crisps from the Sweetie Shop and I'm eking them out. Our local greengrocers have an international aisle and I can sometimes get Tunnocks Caramel Wafers, Penguins and Jaffa Cakes - I'm not much of a chocolate person but the rest of the family is grateful. And we can get Walkers Shortbread too.

Mind you, Anzac biscuits make up for a lot :smiley:

Quavers, Scampi Fries and Walkers Pickled Onion though... ::drool::
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Anybody else now see the title of this thread as

Scone????What?!
  • gardensneeze
    gardensneeze Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    These picture don't hurt me cuz my phone is calorie free.
    I could get behind eating a snot block with a tall cup of hot black coffee.

Haha that tall cup of black coffee in Australia is called a long black. Not to be confused with a short black, which is a shot of espresso.

And you all know the flat white, yes?

Enlighten me

Flat white is a white coffee in Australia and NZ. It's a shot of espresso (we don't do brewed here really at all) with steamed milk making up the rest of it. It's a really basic coffee but it seems to have taken the world by storm (or so we have been led to believe), since British cafés started adopting the name and Starbucks has even put it on the menu, which is really weird because Australia is the one market Starbucks couldn't get into (we kind of look down on Starbucks :wink: )

Some of us Seppos** look down on Starbucks too, lol! :) I can't stand their coffee, it's bitter and burnt tasting to me. I have friends who love it and when I meet them there for coffee, I have to drown it in cream and Splenda to make it even halfway palatable. I don't like their other overly sweet, high-calorie and high-priced coffee beverages either.

** = I'm sure gardensneeze gets the reference, but non-Aussies will probably have to Google "Seppo" for the meaning! :)

Yes I do! :smile:
  • gardensneeze
    Options
    Anybody else now see the title of this thread as

Scone????What?!

Haha yes, very good! I have learned a huge amount, so have the OP too I hope!
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    We live in the past. Don't mind us.

shhh...it's nicer here, we have bone china and scones too

I Love scones. My hubby makes from scratch white chocolate and cranberry. Yummy.
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've only had one pasty in my life. It came from the Scottish Highland Games last summer. It was dry, tough, and lacking in flavor. Completely not what I imagined them to be. Please tell me that was not the norm!
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »
    Can one of the Brits answer a family question for me. My grandma made pasties for us, basically pie dough, meat, potatos and onions. Is that the normal or is there something else in them? My great grandma was from Cornwall....so maybe they are different all over? Maybe it isn't a thing anymore?

A Cornish pastie is a thick pastry encasing diced meat (usually lamb), potatoes, carrots, swede and sometimes celery. Lots of pepper. You eat it hot out of the oven with tomato sauce (ketchup). They're extremely common!!

NO. NO, NO, NO! This is wrong on almost every level. I need a lie down!
  • Carnhot
    Options
    That's carrot and swede mash FYI.[/quote]
    Turnip. The orange stuff is turnip- what the non Cornish call swede.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    That's carrot and swede mash FYI.

[/quote]

Common misconception...they are actually different but both make great mash with carrots

http://topveg.com/2010/07/the-difference-between-swedes-and-turnips/
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    So y'all just throw some heavy cream on your biscuits and jelly and call it a scone? Then call it different kinds of scones based on whether you go cream or jelly first.
    Got it.

Y'all need to start deep frying stuff.

biscuits seem different. the scones i've had in california are denser. they have scones at starbucks and peets. maybe they aren't the real deal. but i've never had a scone with cream, clotted or otherwise. sounds delicious :)
  • Sued0nim
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Dagnammit ...you 'murricans and other foreigners need to go make scones

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1729/ultimate-scones

Get good quality strawberry jelly

And you can buy clotted cream

http://www.amazon.com/The-Devon-Cream-Company-Clotted/dp/B001GQ9YJ0

Or make some, recipe embedded in this fab description

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/17/clotted-cream-recipe_n_4979955.html

Accept no substitutes
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    PS a scone is about 230 calories, the jam is about 40 and the clotted cream is a millionty-one
  • gardensneeze
    Options

[/quote]

You're a bit aggressive but I'll bite. Neither turnips nor swedes, which are entirely different vegetables, are orange. Maybe you should have that lie down.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

You're a bit aggressive but I'll bite. Neither turnips nor swedes, which are entirely different vegetables, are orange. Maybe you should have that lie down.[/quote]

Ya, the orange stuff is carrot. I made it, I should know! And it was swede because again, I bought it and cooked it. If it were neeps (turnip) I'd have said, I'm ruddy Scottish after all, neeps is my national dish!
  • CosmoTI
    CosmoTI Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Stumbled across this earlier today and have to thank you wonderful people for a most entertaining morning . Admittedly my boss might not agree seeing I've done no work since and have instead sat here giggling away to myself and getting odd looks from my colleagues!!
    Have to put my tuppence worth in - scone should rhyme with gone (or con - sounds the same to me!) and are a divine creation. And meal times are definitely breakfast, dinner & tea (although my Londoner bf will disagree & argue to the death over this one) I'm a scouser and we never misappropriate the English language so we must be right:-)
    Heads off to find myself a nice tasty scone and destroy todays calorie goal.....
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    PS a scone is about 230 calories, the jam is about 40 and the clotted cream is a millionty-one

Sooo...after I switch to maintenance....
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response on a proper pasty, we have them once a year...beef, potato and onion. My grandpa always wanted turnips added to it, but he never won that battle. The only argument we have now is ketchup or no ketchup...I believe I saw yes on that :) My great grandmas recipe is pretty funny for making the pastry...handful of flour pinch of this, pinch of that. Great measurements.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Common misconception...they are actually different but both make great mash with carrots

You're a bit aggressive but I'll bite. Neither turnips nor swedes, which are entirely different vegetables, are orange. Maybe you should have that lie down.

Aggressive? Really? I know they are different. Turnips are orange fleshed, swede are white fleshed - where I come from. Isn't that the point of all of this? Celebrating difference?
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Aggressive? Really? I know they are different. Turnips are orange fleshed, swede are white fleshed - where I come from. Isn't that the point of all of this? Celebrating difference?

tumblr_myklvjIuRI1ruanhoo2_500.gif