There are 'BAD' foods

Options

Replies

• antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If it has no nutritional value then I would say it is bad. I think Candy falls into that category. Even pizza has protien so although its fattening at least you get something out of it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    kkenseth wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.

Long grain white rice takes about 11-12 minutes to cook. But, whatever.
    The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.

That's for parboiled rice, "unprocessed", "clean" brown rice takes 45 or so.

I still think this is reasonable...start it 45 mins before dinner. Problem solved.

pressure cooker 25 on high. woo hoo!

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Rice is so bland and chewy. Quinoa is so fluffy and stays fluffy for use in hot or cold dishes. There are so many ways to prepare it. So fast and easy to cook. Rice takes so long to cook.

The cooking time is influenced by the type of rice, as long grain brown rice takes longer.

Not THAT long. I mean, if 12 minutes is the cap on what you're willing to cook, you're doing it wrong.

12 minutes with kids bugging about when is dinner ready, is like 2 hours no kids time though.

I still think this is reasonable...start it 45 mins before dinner. Problem solved.

Those are awesome sauce!
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

Those are awesome sauce!

They are! So many things are made easier with a cooker.

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    "No nutritional value" such lazy shorthand. Every digestible food has nutritional value. It's called energy. Calories. They have value.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it has no nutritional value then I would say it is bad. I think Candy falls into that category. Even pizza has protien so although its fattening at least you get something out of it.

Candy has nutritional value. All candy has carbohydrates. Some candy even has fat and protein.

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    "No nutritional value" such lazy shorthand. Every digestible food has nutritional value. It's called energy. Calories. They have value.

What about the Haribo sugar free gummy bears that give people severe gastrointestinal consequences? :devil:

FYI, I have also enjoyed many of your posts. It's nice to see well thought out and backed information being posted.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Lol yeah. I was gonna say, the rice I eat takes a whole lot longer than 12 minutes to cook, but yeah that would be because of the type used.

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

Lol yeah. I was gonna say, the rice I eat takes a whole lot longer than 12 minutes to cook, but yeah that would be because of the type used.

Which is why I originally clarified long grain white rice.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Pizza has fat and carbs too and other micros...
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Or you have a rice cooker and the time is zero.

Uncle Bens Ready Rice. 90 seconds. Ta da!

Oh wait. Bad because processed? Since it is in a bag? Even though regular rice is also in a bag? I've tried buying rice, quinoa and couscous not in bags or boxes but they are just so hard to get home in my pockets...

Pockets are basically just bags in your pants anyway...
  • Carlos_421
    Options

Pizza is only fattening if you eat more of it than you burn off.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options

Oh wait. Bad because processed? Since it is in a bag? Even though regular rice is also in a bag? I've tried buying rice, quinoa and couscous not in bags or boxes but they are just so hard to get home in my pockets...

No, bad because it sticks together oddly; smells vaguely like a disused, disinfected but still faintly unpleasant rabbit hutch; and has a regrettably mooshy texture to the tooth compared to freshly-cooked. Just my opinion, though.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Rice is a good transition topic to tex-mex. Tex-mex is good food.
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Whoops wrong thread ignore this
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking beer and eating mozzarella sticks while watching the game. Am I going to die?

The answer is no. Even if I go over my calories for the day, my mom and I are having a great time and that is worth more than being sad and trying to eat salad at BWW any day.

Context is always what matters. Do I do this every day? Nope. There's a long time between football and baseball season. ;)
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

No, bad because it sticks together oddly; smells vaguely like a disused, disinfected but still faintly unpleasant rabbit hutch; and has a regrettably mooshy texture to the tooth compared to freshly-cooked. Just my opinion, though.

Although I disagree with your premise, I am nonetheless impressed with your colorful similes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I used to cook brown rice. Yes, that's what I meant. 45 minutes, not 12. I think it tastes better than white. But, I don't love rice. I do like quinoa very much. I was just surprised that people think it tastes like sadness.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I used to cook brown rice. Yes, that's what I meant. 45 minutes, not 12. I think it tastes better than white. But, I don't love rice. I do like quinoa very much. I was just surprised that people think it tastes like sadness.

I've only had it a few times, but each time I wasn't impressed. I don't know about sadness, but it definitely doesn't taste like something I want a lot of. I could eat white rice for days, though.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    While I'm not a big fan of eating rice on its own, I do like the taste of brown better than white.