40+, WITH 40+ TO LOSE!

Options
Sparkymel
Sparkymel Posts: 80 Member
edited January 2016 in Motivation and Support
40+, with 40+ to lose? Me too! I am a 42 year old, single Mom. If I am being honest, I have around 70lbs to lose. This struggle is real and hard! Growing up, I was an average size and very healthy kid. In my 20's, I was obsessed with health and fitness. In my 30's, I started the yo-yo adventure and never stopped! I had my son at 37 years old and weigh more now, than when he was born.

At 42, I am just over it! I am tired of feeling tired, insecure and unhappy in my own skin. I don't want to completely fall 'Off the wagon', just because I had bad day of eating anymore. I am realizing that we're all human and we will all make mistakes on this journey. This journey is full of rocks and bumps, but I want to stop detouring. I am ready to be healthy and strong and feel like myself again. I want to live a long and healthy life, with my son. I am ready to stop yo-yo'ing and focus on living healthy. I have been logging my food daily, for a week now. So far so good.

We all have a different story. What's your story?What motivates you and keeps you going? What are you doing to reach your goals and how are you overcoming the struggles?

Replies

• 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I think you are in a great place mentally and will do awesome in your journey. I have lost 43lbs and just turned 48. My plan now is to loose a few vanity pounds and drop body fat.
  • twosillycats
    twosillycats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been looking for people similar in age to me and with similar weight loss goals. I'm 48 and my current goal is to lose 2 pounds per week (avg.) and get down to 158 by June 10. I weigh 198 now. I used MFP for a while last year, lost about 7 lbs. and then quit. I do t know why....just got lazy or discouraged or....(?) Over the holidays I overdid it and tried to make myself think I didn't care but I realized I have to lose weight and exercise more to be healthy and feel better about myself. I'm tired of being afraid of cameras, getting nervous about work presentations , not because of having to speak but because I don't want people to look at me, and most of all, I'm tired of hearing people ask me when I'm due or make what they think are friendly comments about me being pregnant when I'm not. My belly is where I hold most of my weight. I have 2 kids--a 16 yr old son and 12 year old daughter, and a husband. Despite probably sounding down, I'm actually quite a positive thinker and happy with my life! I'm just really struggling with body image and weight loss. It's hard to talk to family and friends because I feel like the thin ones don't understand and others might get tired of hearing about it or think, 'she's been down this road before...what's different this time?" I really want this time to be different and will try hard to reach my goal. I would love to find a few online MFP friends to join forces and support each other!
  • trevnik3bys
    trevnik3bys Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This is the place to be girl. You can do it. I'm 40, 3 kiddos in high school and have had a very stressful career that helped me pack on 40 pounds over the last few years. I said good bye to the stress and now want to say goodbye to the weight. 2 weeks in and feeling great!!! Loving the food.......now my kids...not so much. ☺️
  • Sparkymel
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thank you!! Congratulations on your weight loss! How did you do it? @1mumrevolution

• Sparkymel
    Options
    @twosillycats I can totally relate. Sounds like we are going through very similar struggles. Thank you for sharing.
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    Thank you @trevnik3bys! We got this! My family is actually loving that I am cooking more and trying new recipes.
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in October. I've lost 60 lbs last year. Have about 35 lbs more to go. Feel free to add me :)
  • twosillycats
    twosillycats Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks Sparkymel! Sorry but I'm kinda clueless how the group's on here work! Do we just add to this post or join a specific group?
  • CindyWitter
    CindyWitter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm in a similar boat. 43 yrs old with two young kids (8 & 6). Dedicated everything to my career for too many years and wracked up the pounds. Lost my job in Oct due to corp restructuring and it was a wake up call to not be so focused on work and lose focus on myself and family. Blessed to be at home with my kids right now and want to get healthier for myself and to be there in the long term for my kids and husband. Would love to connect with those in similar age and struggles. I started 2 weeks ago exercising and tracking meals again after about 18 month hiatus. I know it works when I do it. My initial goal is 22 lb loss mainly to breakup the goals. Overall goal is 45 lbs. Let's do this ladies!! Feel free to add me! Cindy
  • midwest_siren
    midwest_siren Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I turned 40 in June and I'm just starting on this adventure. I'm new to MFP and grateful for any pointers I can pick up. Weight Watchers worked well for me over a decade ago but I never found success in that "groove" again after the first time. I have 45-50 lbs to lose this time around.
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    Congrats on an amazing weight loss @JennieMaeK! That is amazing! Any tips?
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @CindyWitter I am so glad to have this group, to help motivate each other. I am sorry to hear about your job. That is always hard. When one door closes....
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    I am basically trying to stay under 1,300 calories. @midwest_siren I am making a lot of Weight Watchers meals and drinking Limu Lean. Hopefully this will continue to work.
  • hjlund
    hjlund Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Add me, I turn 40 next month and have about 89 to lose. Let's do it together.
  • bianca616
    bianca616 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I am 40 with a toddler and a teenager at home. Both equally difficult! Just like many mothers my focus fell on my kids and I "let myself go". I am finally making myself a priority and am working on losing 50 pounds. MFP has been great in helping me stay accountable for everything I eat and how many calories I am consuming. I have only been using it for a week but hope to stick with it and am looking for friends who can keep me motivated and offer support. Good luck to you @sparkymel !
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    So glad to have you @hjlund
  • Sparkymel
    Options
    @bianca616 Making ourselves a priority is so hard to do, when we have kids. I am realizing that being truly happy with ourselves, helps us to be even better parents. There are so many things that I have avoided going to, because of my weight. My son has even missed some friends birthday parties because of my own insecurities. I have decided not to let that interfere with his activities again.
  • CindyWitter
    CindyWitter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sparkymel wrote: »
    @CindyWitter I am so glad to have this group, to help motivate each other. I am sorry to hear about your job. That is always hard. When one door closes....

Thanks @Sparkymel, it's all good and I know this was the path for me! Now on to losing weight!!
  • greeneyes998
    greeneyes998 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much @sparkymel ! I am 44, with well over 40lbs to lose, more like in the range of 55lbs. I've lost up to 70lbs in the past, and am moving beyond beating myself over it putting most of it back on. Today I am going to log everything I eat in MFP and do 30min of cardio. Small changes that I'm willing and able to do today.
    Achieving your fitness and weight loss goal IS achievable, and sharing it is a great place to start!
  • 87chell
    87chell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    ....same boat! I'm 43 with a 19,18, and 2 year old. I have a very stressful job, but I love it and a marriage on the rocks. I need to lose 30 more pounds with 6 of it being pounds I gained back over the holidays. I was doing so good and lost 34 lbs before the holidays. I just seem to have lost my gumption or groove. I've started back walking and logging calories, but I still need to find my drive . I find I'm just try to even out instead of losing since the holidays.