Why do you hate Dr. Oz?

Options

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    I have learned so many things about my health. Ex: What your nails can tell about your health, your ears... so many things. Even about fibroids.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    CipherZero wrote: »
    He uses the Doctor of his name to peddle pure *kitten* to the unsuspecting.

This.

He used his title of Doctor to line his own pockets. He has admitted that there is no scientific proof supporting many, if not most or all, of the products he peddles as the next miracle. He got rich from capitalising on vulnerability and desperation. He's actually fairly despicable.

And this.

He was apparently at one point a very good cardiothoracic surgeon. Then he got dollar signs in his eyes and basically became a prostitute for woo, endorsing anything and everything that would make money for him even though he knew the products were garbage and would do nothing for anybody. He capitalized on his popularity through being promoted by Oprah Winfrey and misused his credentials as a doctor purely for personal gain. He didn't do it because he cares about anybody's health, because the products he was endorsing do nothing to improve anybody's health. They're snake oil, and he knew that.

When you're called before a U.S. Senate panel and censured for your actions on television, you can be pretty sure you're on the wrong track. I agree that he's despicable.

This 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000%
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I have learned so many things about my health. Ex: What your nails can tell about your health, your ears... so many things. Even about fibroids.

Does he talk about phrenology? Because that's legit.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Many things he talks about, the herbs are not made up facts. Things like Milk Thistle have benefits. He has also talked about herbs that can help with sleep. This is not this Woo thing.
    He even talked about Melatonin. And I learned that more than 3 mg a night is not necessary.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    Peddling woo? What does he peddle? I have not seen him selling anything.
    The show also has guests like Dr. Weil, Dr. Rosen, and Dr. Furhman. And I learn a bit from them.

In the past two years, I know he has not try to sell anything. (as long as I have been watching).

He doesn't need to sell products, because he is the product. He makes money from a show, and he attracts viewers to the show (to boost his ratings and hence his income) by offering bogus health advice, which some people think must be true because he's a doctor.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I promise you, if you were in the medical profession you'd be shaking your head right now. It's pseudo science
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Many things he talks about, the herbs are not made up facts. Things like Milk Thistle have benefits. He has also talked about herbs that can help with sleep. This is not this Woo thing.
    He even talked about Melatonin. And I learned that more than 3 mg a night is not necessary.

The man admitted to endorsing products that failed any scientific muster ... yet you believe what he says? He conceded to lying on his show.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    I promise you, if you were in the medical profession you'd be shaking your head right now. It's pseudo science

Yassss ^^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I was in the checkout line today and found his face on a 'publication' saying you could lose 14lb in 5 days with his fat blasting diet. Attention grabbing, load of crap. So no, he is still adding to all the misinformation that keeps people confused and spending money to support the diet industry.
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    I was in the checkout line today and found his face on a 'publication' saying you could lose 14lb in 5 days with his fat blasting diet. Attention grabbing, load of crap.

His website is currently peddling "10lbs in 10 days!"
    I figured he had a year "heads up" before meeting in front of congress. Anyway, it's in the past. He stopped, right?

Did you read the two posts immediately above yours? ^^
  • MelaniaTrump
    Options
    What about when he talks about foods and the nutrition in them? Or exercises to relax? That's all known information. Not woohoo
  • star1407
    Options

Really? And yet the best minds in the world on autism and adhd have my son on 6mg. Which works by the way
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    Lies, fraud, conflicts of interest, and bogus science: The real Dr. Oz effect

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/lies-fraud-conflicts-of-interest-and-bogus-science-the-real-dr-oz-effect/
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    What about when he talks about foods and the nutrition in them? Or exercises to relax? That's all known information. Not woohoo

So you believe him saying "known information" outweighs using his credentials and fame to lie to the masses about things not as well known?

That takes enabling to a new level.
  • MelaniaTrump
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have seen the publications, but never heard it on the show. Publications can often lie.
    For sleep - Melatonin 3 g's a day is enough.
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    'A fake and a charlatan': Doctors call for Dr. Oz to be dismissed from Columbia surgery faculty over alleged quack science

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/doctors-dr-oz-removed-columbia-faculty-article-1.2187815
  • star1407
    Options

So you believe him saying "known information" outweighs using his credentials and fame to lie to the masses about things not as well known?

That takes enabling to a new level.

Best trick in the book, mix 10% truth with 90% bull *kitten* and fool the masses
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

The problem is that he's completely destroyed any credibility he possibly could have had by selling himself like a prostitute. I wouldn't believe a single word he says. If he said the sky was blue, I wouldn't take his word for it - I'd have to walk outside and see for myself before I'd believe it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Sorry folks, I am weak. Gotta tap out now. Good luck to the rest of you :neutral:
  • Wetcoaster
    Options
    5 'quack treatments' Dr. Oz has recommended that are totally bogus

http://www.businessinsider.com/dr-oz-treatments-that-other-doctors-say-are-bogus-2015-4
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

The problem is, as I quoted above, he doesn't separate good science from bad or developing science. In 2016 alone he's launched a new diet brand, talked about the dangers of bread, miniblinds, and foods to avoid alzheimers (which is still developing science at best and gives false hope to many families). But honestly, you don't seem interested in listening to what anyone else has to say.
This discussion has been closed.