"You're too skinny!" Do others ever make you question your maintenance weight?

Options

Replies

• rgb93
    rgb93 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My low weight was 175lbs (6'1.5") and I was told I was too skinny. I'm currently at 198, with little if any muscle mass, and I still get told I'm thin/fine. I'm back to overweight; that isn't fine.
  • 00EmilyJo00
    00EmilyJo00 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Ignore them! :) Do what makes you feel good about yourself as long as you know it's healthy.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It's gotten crazy that you can bad mouth someone skinny or fit or anything that is good. God forbid you ever tell someone wow you really have put on some weight.
  • andyphillips899
    andyphillips899 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My mother is convinced I need to see a nutritionist to make sure I don't develop anorexia as a result of my weight loss.

And she understands that I needed to lose weight and that I'm doing it the smart way, she's just like...shocked I guess.
  • grmeg
    grmeg Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think what I found most frustrating was the fact that my family kept telling me things like "I'll buy you a gym pass" or making other comments about how I should lose weight before I began dieting, but now that I'm at a healthy BMI & a weight I feel good about, I constantly receive comments about how I should eat more. I'm not going to let them influence me, but it's gotten to the point where I'll diet a bit before visiting family so that I can eat more to avoid confrontation.

I was pretty vocal about dieting earlier before, so maybe I shot myself in the foot. Me being vocal was more about requesting healthier food so I could still join in the fun, but I'm sure it rubbed off as me bragging to some.

In any case, you just have to look at yourself in the mirror & appreciate all the hard work you've done, even if other people try to bring you down. Sometimes I think dieting forces those around you to judge themselves more harshly, so encouraging you to eat more is just a reaction to this self-judgement.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I've got called that many times growing up. I come to learn that, it's not me...it's the people. Those who use to call me that are not in the perfect shape themselves- I guess they either say that to make you fee like you have to gain weight or their vocab choice is limited to "skinny" and not like "toned, slim, healthy".
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been maintaining for almost 3 years now and I'm quite happily smack bang in the middle of the BMI for my height. At 61 I'm resigned to the fact that my 'mummy tummy' will be a life companion - so just that feature ensures me that I'm not over-thin!

Last week I was REALLY poorly with gastroenteritis, and I looked it!! My elder son coincidently took a photo of his son - who was on my lap and put it in an online photo album accessible by friends and family. A close friend who has not seen mean IRL for about 6 weeks seriously took me to task using the image as evidence I'd 'over done it'.

The image was compared to one from 4.5 years ago - 50 lbs ago - at my son's wedding. It seemed I looked happier - YES it was a very happy occasion and I didn't feel like death warmed up!!

It seemed that I looked younger - YES I was, 4.5 years younger, in full make-up to define, contour and glamourise my face AND I didn't feel that death warmed up.

She also cited the fact that, on my way to visit her, I take the opportunity to stop and walk a couple of miles - an example of obsessive behaviour. She might have a slight point there - but she and her DH have disabilities which restrict their movement and I'm just trying to get my daily 10k steps in before I visit!!!!

Too long, I know >:)>:)
    Edited to add para break
  • jennifer_331
    jennifer_331 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time from a few family members and co workers. I have lost 120 lbs and have an 18.5 BMI. People don't know how to react when you change your life. It forces them to look at themselves. It's easier to believe I have some disease then I found a way to sucsessefully loose weight and maintain it. You know if I can do it, why can't they.
    My family I understand, because they love me and have genuine concern. But my co-workers.... Just rude. I don't need anyone's validation because I validate myself now : )
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    That's the equivalent of calling you obese all the time when you were heavier. Most don't see it that way but that's the reality of it. Call them out on it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I've gotten those comments a lot. I'm 5'7", 132 lbs at the moment but in 2013 I got down to about 127-128. I've gotten the "too skinny" comments when I'm in that 127-132 or so range. I'm basically skinny fat so I'll realize I still have plenty of midsection fat to lose, BF% even in the high 20s at such a low weight but my arms and legs are skinny. It frustrates me b/c my limbs are always skinny for the most part but I think people only notice that when I'm slimmer overall. I am trying to do more HIIT and strength training to help with body recomp more so than just fat loss.
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    My family does this, but they are obese. I know they are saying it lightly so I just brush it off.
  • Kelley0519
    Kelley0519 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    A family member told me this when I was at my smallest weight...when in reality, I was still 35 lbs overweight. They're just not used to seeing you that small...as time go on, the comments should go away. You look amazing!
  • jhonen32629
    jhonen32629 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A lot of the people who say I'm too skinny are often overweight, so I feel like I don't need to pay them any mind lol. My doctor says I'm good at my weight. My BMI is right smack dab in the middle of where I should be. I feel great and my numbers are good.

People were saying I'm too skinny when I was losing the weight, and I think it's because they were so used to me being big that when they saw me lose all the weight, it was a me they weren't familiar with. So it may have looked like I was losing too much weight.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I wear slim fitting suits during the week and hear this occasionally from well-meaning (and often rotund) people who've never seen me in anything else.

I don't mind, but my wife? *kitten*! She's gone for the proverbial jugular on more than one occasion when she's heard that said to me.
    We have a little understanding; My body is not my body. It's hers. And she'll defend it fiercely, apparently :heart:
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I get told frequently that I am to skinny yet I fall right where my doctor says I should be. I am tall so (5'8" ) people tend to think I should be heavier. I just explain I eat healthy when I can and I am right where I should be.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a few pounds under my goal, but still in the range for my height. For my age, however, I would be healthier at my goal range - longevity speaking. People have always thought of me as little even when I was 35lb heavier because I carry my weight evenly and have good posture (it's amazing what standing up straight can do to your appearance). B)
  • srwoodson999
    srwoodson999 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I get this. I am not underweight at all -- my happy zone is 113-115 lbs. at 5'1.5" which is appropriate for my small frame. I think people get confused because I am leaner and have more muscle than average, so I look much more jacked than most women. I don't particularly care what they think, however, as I like the lean and athletic look.
  • holdenmonty
    holdenmonty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have always been relatively skinny and I get it all the time. I'm looking at loosing three pounds but I'm really looking at just being healthier. The thing I hate the most is when people tell me that I need to eat more and get some meat on my bones. I'm a 5ft 11in male at 163 pounds and I know it is pretty good and I did a bod pod test a couple weeks ago and is said that I'm 23% fat which I know isn't bad. I would like to loose the little bit of a beer belly that I have acquired. I would love to have a 6 pack but I'm not sure if I have the dedication to get there.
  • kitzie
    kitzie Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been called scrawny a lot lately. I've had neighbors tell my husband that I'm "wasting away." I want to lose 100lbs total, and I'm only 15lbs from hitting that goal. To my friends and family it's just crazy.

My goal weight is 25lbs from being considered "underweight" for my height so I know that I am doing just fine. While I do not put any value in the BMI chart, I know how I feel and the people I love are just looking out for me. As others have said, its just different and it takes time for people to accept the change. I personally think it's flattering to be called scrawny, I've been obese all of my life so scrawny in comparison to the other things I've been called is a nice change.