Vegan missionary attacking my steak dinner

Options

Replies

• Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    Sorry you had a bad experience with a vegan. Just like non-vegans, some of us have chill. Some of us don't.

BunnyCling__97642.1442524897.490.588.jpg?c=2

:) I heart you too.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This rabbit objects to the mushiness inherent in that jpg

• veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Militant Vegans are why the term "ve*an" started appearing. People were embarrassed by their fanatical PETA crazed counterparts that were creating the reputation that all vegans are going to pour paint on your steak, ruin your dinner, and condemn you to hell for being an omnivore. It's sad really. Live and let live. I've never had that happen to me here. One just happened to find you. Block them and move on.

I thought the term "ve*an" was created so there would be a term to describe both vegans and vegetarians.

Perhaps. When I was a vegan, folks in my support circle cited it as above and used it in that context- it's vegan written like it's a curse word. There were lengthy debates about how vegans should stop being embarrassed by telling people they were vegan, stop using that *, yadda yadda.

interesting i've never heard of that either, i thought it was used to describe vegans AND vegetarians as well. Well Veg*n anyways, not Ve*an...maybe that's the difference.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Militant Vegans are why the term "ve*an" started appearing. People were embarrassed by their fanatical PETA crazed counterparts that were creating the reputation that all vegans are going to pour paint on your steak, ruin your dinner, and condemn you to hell for being an omnivore. It's sad really. Live and let live. I've never had that happen to me here. One just happened to find you. Block them and move on.

I thought the term "ve*an" was created so there would be a term to describe both vegans and vegetarians.

Perhaps. When I was a vegan, folks in my support circle cited it as above and used it in that context- it's vegan written like it's a curse word. There were lengthy debates about how vegans should stop being embarrassed by telling people they were vegan, stop using that *, yadda yadda.

Probably different usages in different circles. I've only ever seen it used as a blanket term for those who avoid meat (vegetarians & vegans).
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    What does the * in ve*an stand for? I've never seen that before....

The * is a placeholder sign that can stand for any amount of symbols. So ve*an can stand for either vegan or vegetarian.

It could also stand for veterinarian, or venn diagram usage manual technician, or veal is awesome, man.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

The * is a placeholder sign that can stand for any amount of symbols. So ve*an can stand for either vegan or vegetarian.

It could also stand for veterinarian, or venn diagram usage manual technician, or veal is awesome, man.

Have I told you lately that I like you?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

I hate those militant venn diagram usage manual technicians.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options

interesting i've never heard of that either, i thought it was used to describe vegans AND vegetarians as well. Well Veg*n anyways, not Ve*an...maybe that's the difference.

How do I pronounce that? This is very confusing...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There are militant adherents to pretty much anything, really. Some groups have more of them. If someone in a group feels strongly enough, they feel it's their duty to 'educate' everyone because they're obviously right and everyone should do the same thing they're doing. ><

If she starts back in, even after you've been polite and asked her not to, feel free to use this one. XD
    9d1ed17fad6f40b23ce343a77843e5719958261207090f95549d8dedb71de2aa_zps9ktxmwgq.jpg
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

I think it's similar to how Prince pronounced his symbol name.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options

I think it's just something like shorthand but for typing, it's not necessarily something that you would say out loud, just type out.

I think it's similar to how Prince pronounced his symbol name.

Wait, never mind, say it like this.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    So ve*an is pronounced "artist formerly known as Prince"? Cool.

(Yeah, yeah, I know you said how Prince pronounced it.)
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    There are militant adherents to pretty much anything, really. Some groups have more of them. If someone in a group feels strongly enough, they feel it's their duty to 'educate' everyone because they're obviously right and everyone should do the same thing they're doing. ><

If she starts back in, even after you've been polite and asked her not to, feel free to use this one. XD
    9d1ed17fad6f40b23ce343a77843e5719958261207090f95549d8dedb71de2aa_zps9ktxmwgq.jpg

Lol nice one.
  • juggernaut1974
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

No no no...it's pronounced like this obviously:

prince-brandmark-logo.jpg
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I always thought it was a curse word, like "those *kitten* vegans and their propaganda"
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

Lol nice one.

You have no idea how long I've been waiting to use it! XD

I honestly have nothing against vegetarians or vegans. You can eat what you want, not my place to say. If it works for you, kudos. All I ever ask is they give me the same courtesy.

Of course, I always thing of Scott Pilgrim when I first hear someone I know is a vegan. ^_^;
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Tell me this is a 1-off and that there aren't an army of them around?

Chick adds me

I had posted that I was stalling in my weight loss.

She said it was because I eat furbabies and should watch forks over spoons or knives or someother mockumentary

Then she said that I shouldn't add her if I don't want honest feedback

But....she added me.

So I delete her comment because useless jabber... And she proceeds to PM me?!

So. Vegans. I like you. You are good people. But I hope there isn't a rogue mission trying to convert the rest of us who like eating food that once had a face?

You can also block her from sending you messages you know.
    I've been here over a year and have yet to have a negative comment on my food diary from anyone.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    delete

delete

delete

ive never had anyone comment on mine, other than a legitimate question (what is *item*)

i do get comments about my alcohol consumption sometimes but its all in good fun, not condescending.

• GemimaFitzTed
    GemimaFitzTed Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Hahahaha! I love that!
  • wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    delete

delete

delete

Okay, who let the cyberman onto MFP? :p