The January 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I'm lovin' ASICS right now. I had 300 miles on a pair of Gel Nimbus ... They said on the RMA form that running shoes are expected to only last 300 to 500 miles.

I just got a notice today that the replacement shoes are on their way. Thank you ASICS!

I typically get 500-600 on the higher end asics models such as the nimbus or Kayanos. That was good of them to get you another pair!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1/1......3.68
    2/1......5.20 walk
    3/1......5.70
    4/1......0.5
    5/1......2.17
    6/1......rest
    7/1......5.10
    8/1......rest
    9/1......4.3 treadmill walk.
    10/1....9.47
    11/1.....Travel Dr appt
    12/1.....lazy
    13/1.....5.51
    14/1.....3.31
    15/1.....6.28
    16/1.....rest
    17/1.....6.05
    18-19/1....I didn't run? No idea where those days went.
    20/1.... Steroid shot #2
    21/1......5.78
    22,23.....Nada
    24/1......11.21
    25/1.....3.89
    26/1.....Rest
    27/1..... 6.26
    28/1.....6.69
    29/1.....rest
    30/1.....5.89+3.05
    31/1......well deserved rest day...

100.04/100+ Miles

Upcoming races:

02/06/16 Hot Chocolate 15K Dallas
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    Run the year 2016  100.04/2016
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    @Elise4270 It sucks. But I know it will work out somehow. I will look into the payment plan option. Honestly never even thought of that. I know a guy who may be able to help me do the stuff the bike needs to keep it on the road safely so I'll be talking to him asap. And I'm going to start scouring Craigslist and the second hand bike shops. Denver is such a cycling mecca that surely I can find something!

I was too emotional at first to recognize that there are options and alternatives. I'm realizing that January, historically, is a difficult month for me and that I should really just let myself coast thru it and keep my head down until Feb. Then I seem to get back on my feet and find my way again. Soooo, only a few more days!

So good to hear! I've had my fingers cross for you (still do).
  • 9voice9
    9voice9 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    01-Jan (15 days to HM): 5.80 miles
    02-Jan (14 days to HM): 10.01 miles
    03-Jan (13 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    04-Jan (12 days to HM): 5.21 miles
    05-Jan (11 days to HM): 4.00 miles
    06-Jan (10 days to HM): 3.57 miles
    07-Jan (9 days to HM): 4.42 miles
    08-Jan (8 days to HM): 3.09 miles
    09-Jan (7 days to HM): 11.82 miles
    10-Jan (6 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    11-Jan (5 days to HM): 3.36 miles
    12-Jan (4 days to HM): 3.39 miles
    13-Jan (3 days to HM): 3.07 miles
    14-Jan (2 days to HM): <HM Training-mandated Rest Day>
    15-Jan (1 days to HM): 2.29 miles plus 1.09 miles (walk)
    16-Jan (Museum of Aviation HM): 13.16 miles
    17-Jan: <Life Day> but 2.83 miles
    18-Jan: 6.40 miles
    19-Jan: 4.43 miles
    20-Jan: 0.00 miles plus 1.26 miles (walk)
    21-Jan: 4.11 miles
    22-Jan: 3.61 miles
    23-Jan: 10.01 miles
    24-Jan: <Life Day>
    25-Jan: 4.12 miles
    26-Jan: 4.15 miles
    27-Jan: 2.61 miles
    28-Jan: 2.23 miles
    29-Jan: 4.19 miles
    30-Jan: 11.15 miles
    31-Jan: <Life Day>

exercise.png

Busted my goal pretty handily - although I was not enjoying the last mile or so today. Just wanted to be done with it!

Upcoming Races:
    06-Feb: Al Toll Memorial 15K, Macon, GA
    27-Feb: Cantrell Center 5K, Warner Robins, GA
    19-Mar: Cherry Blossom 10K, Macon, GA
    02-Apr: Run 2 End Alzheimer's 10.5K, Bonaire, GA
    16-Apr: Running for Ronald 10K or 15K, Macon, GA
    04-Jul: Peachtree Road Race 10K, Atlanta, GA
  • kimlight2
    kimlight2 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

1/20 5.0 miles. Had a busy weekend with J's hockey tournament and I have been really tired the last couple of days. Had a good but slow run with some major chafing where you really don't want to chaff but had the park to myself for 1.5 miles which made up for everything. Piriformis is a little sore so I think I need to stay at this distance for a little while.

1/30 3.0 miles My piriformis was bothering me after the last run so I took a week off. Had a session with my trainer and found out why, I have a crazy muscle imbalance that I need to correct. She had me do these weird weighted kicks where I am on all 4's in front of this machine and press the weight up and back one leg at a time. I can do 40 lbs with my left leg but only 20 with my right and even that was a struggle. After today's run i had pain radiating down my leg the rest of the day and had to lift my leg to get out of my truck after JJ's hockey game. This is so frustrating, one step forward and 10 back. I will take another week or two off and cut back miles again and get back in the gym to fix the issue for good I hope.

32.0 down 8 to go
  • CrimsonWhite
    CrimsonWhite Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    @Stoshew71 thank for the link-I did make an account to hopefully get any future info and keep it in mind. It looks like the cost for entry for the HM doesn't change til June, so I have a while to decide. And the cutoff time is 4 hours, so even if I can't run it all I could finish.

@Virkati Sorry you are having such a rough go of it! I hope you start feeling better physically and that you find something to work for your bike.

@runner_girl83 Those shorts are really cute. Even if no one sees it but me, I enjoy wearing cute, colorful stuff to run or work out in. It helps to keep me motivated! And I'll take whatever works to do that. I just bought a whole bunch of sleeveless tops to run in, at a department store here that had an amazing sale-from $6.50 to $8 per shirt. I'm probably good to go for the rest of my running career.

1/2 6.5 miles
    1/3 3.5 miles
    1/7 4.0 miles
    1/10 4.0 miles
    1/13 5.0 miles
    1/14 3.0 miles
    1/15 2.0 miles
    1/18 6.0 miles
    1/22 5.0 miles
    1/24 3.0 miles
    1/27 7.0 miles
    1/30 3.0 miles
    52 miles out of 55 done.
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Ah, I just realised I almost forgot this question
    michable wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ : I would love to hear how the flip belt and water bottle combo go.
    @michable I tested the combo during my long run today: The flipbelt is great! The water bottle was a complete fail:
    - can't put it against the back as the product sales pictures suggest you should do, because my big a** means it doesn't hang down flat, but rather is tilted forward so that the upper part pokes me into the back and chafes (to be fair to the bottle, it might still work for someone who's more slender than me)
    - can't put it to the front, or my legs hit against it as I run and slowly kick it out of the belt
    - can't put it to the sides, because then my arm brushes against it while I run, and that was extremely irritating
    In the end I settled for having it halfway between back and side and putting it in ~45° tilted sideways, if that description makes sense. That way, it annoyed me the least, but since it wasn't properly put through the belt, it fell out every few minutes.
    By the time I passed a trashbin around 90 minutes into my run, I was so fed up with the thing that I happily tossed it. I had a moment of feeling guilty about it when I came home - after all, it was new and I had just bought it. On the other hand, I can't see myself using the bloody annoying thing ever again, so R.I.P. weird belt bottle!

Ditto!!! I could have written this post!! Mines going in the bin too!
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options

@runner_girl83 I think you can be more than a 5k runner--you just need to slow down (maybe slow down your speeding up?). Maybe you need to slow down on all your runs. I know that if I tried to do a sub-30 5K every few days at this point I'd probably wind up injured--but I can do a 2:24 20K and feel ok the next day. I think I'm a long-distance runner--but I'll never win my age group in any race (well, until I'm so old that I'm the only person, maybe!)

Yes!! This is what I need to hear right now!!! Thank you! X
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    January goal 70 miles

1/1 3.69
    1/2 4.15
    1/3 3.12
    1/4 rest
    1/5 3.31
    1/6 5.59
    1/7 rest
    1/8 3.00
    1/9 heavy duty yard work
    1/10 3.27
    1/11 3.38
    1/12 snorkel 3 hours
    1/13 6.39
    1/14 rest
    1/15 3.12 (and some more heavy duty yard work)
    1/16 4.25
    1/17 3.05
    1/18 rest
    1/19 3.00
    1/20 5.51
    1/21 rest
    1/22 3.20
    1/23 the last of eight long work days and I just came home and sat......
    1/24 6.25. On the treadmill. On the lanai. Overlooking the ocean. Watching football. Life is good....
    1/25 2.76
    1/26 snorkel 2.5 hours
    1/27 3.25
    1/28 9.02
    1/29 rest
    1/30 3.16

Total 82.47

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    JohnONE29 wrote: »
    17 miles today. Super day in Ohio USA for a long run.

It sure was. Loving this low 50s.
  • GBrady43068
    Options
    JohnONE29 wrote: »
    17 miles today. Super day in Ohio USA for a long run.

It sure was. Loving this low 50s.

• GBrady43068
    Options
    I usually have problems posting from my Android so not sure if my ticker will update properly but the weather is fanTASTic in C'bus so tacked on another 3.55.
    I just need about 5 miles tomorrow and I'm there.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ - Loved your description of the flipbelt and bottle! I would have tossed it too! Also your pictures are fantastic!
    @Elise4270 and @runner_girl83 - love the shorts! My favorites are tight shorts too but I go for Nike or UnderArmour. They are the only ones I have found that don't ride up. I don't like the way loose shorts feel flapping around when I run.
    @virkati - maybe you can find a bike on Craig's list or one that someone is selling that isn't full price of a new one? Swimming is great exercise and I am pretty sure you need to learn how soon... before the triathlon! My daughter is a slow runner, ok cyclist and very fast swimmer - she does VERY well in triathlons because most everyone else dies on the swim portion!

No run for me today. Went to Hollywood with my husband to see Star Wars at the El Capitan theater. It was fun but traffic was terrible. Hours in the car!! Tomorrow I am on a plane for Dallas so more sitting. I may have to get in a run on the hotel treadmill just because I am tired of sitting!!
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Winter means
    • Colder Weather
    • Less Sunlight
    • Fewer RUNS
    Way to go everyone..Special shout outs to those SNOW RUNNERS. I do miss snow, so keep trekking an keep the pics coming

January
    In it for 50

exercise.png
    • 05 - 4.9mi Rain Run
    • 09 - 9.1
    • 11 - 7.3
    • 13 - 5.1 Rain Run
    • 16 - 6.1 Rain run
    • 18 - 3.0 Family Fun Run
    • 21 - 6.4
    • 22 - 2.1
    • 25 - 6.9
    • 30 - 6.4
    Bring on FEBRUARY

Year Totals - 2016 (Goal:600miles)
    c45bf3027cad941.gif

• michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ thanks for reporting back on the flip belt and bottle. I will definitely pass on the bottle! And those pictures are gorgeous! The grass is so green! We have a lot of brown lawns around right now. It's pretty dry.

As for my running belt and hydration options, I am thinking I will need 2 belts for different purposes - one running belt (a flip belt probably) for shorter distances to carry my phone / music player, and a nathan hydration belt with 2 or 4 bottles for my long runs.

I wanted to ask the group about fueling during races. I am planning on getting some energy gels (eg GU) to practice with on my long runs. I have tried a few different things for fueling during my HMs, e.g. jelly beans and jelly babies (they don’t seem to get soft enough, so still require a lot of chewing while running, which is quite difficult I have found, as you seem to need to breathe as well). The time I tried a GU during a race was a bit of a fail - I had to stop at the water stop for about a minute or two to get it down (it wasn’t very nice). I am hoping that a nicer flavour may go down more easily.

What do you use for fuel during races? And how do you eat it on the run? Or do you just use energy drinks?

• louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Final total:

1st Jan - 3.14miles
    2nd Jan - 4.5miles
    5th Jan - 2.75miles
    8th Jan - 3.25miles
    10th Jan - 4.00miles
    12th Jan - 2.12miles
    13th Jan - Yoga & 30mins swim
    14th Jan - 30mins elliptical
    19th Jan - 3.33miles
    21st Jan - 3.3miles
    23rd Jan - 3.14miles
    24th Jan - 5.51miles
    27th Jan - 3.1miles
    31st Jan - 6.40miles (10km race - 55:36! A new PB by a loooong way!!)

MTD - 44.5/50miles

Just short of target, but no injuries for a change (!) and two PBs, 5km and 10km. Couldn't be happier with how this month has gone and looking forward to my race diary makes me even more excited! :smile: Now to work out a target for February based on my training plan...

Upcoming races:
    27th Feb - Richmond Park 10km
    19th Mar - Spring Riverside 10km
    3rd Apr - Paddock Wood Half Marathon
    8th May - Run Hackney Half Marathon
  • dominichoran
    dominichoran Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    January done, 31 days, 44hrs, 350 miles - <phew>
    mjb00zpgcy6s.jpg
  • whatang
    whatang Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    January done, 31 days, 44hrs, 350 miles - <phew>
    mjb00zpgcy6s.jpg

Holy moly!

Congrats everyone on a great month. It's awesome seeing everyone putting in the miles and having a group of people who *get it* to report back to.

6.8 miles today, finishing off at 88 for the month. First time I've done 10k at sub 9 minute miles. Nice way to round off the month.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    @kimlight2 - Those sound like donkey kicks which I have done without weights to help with form and ITB pain. In the end the all of the exercises did help but took a couple weeks efore I started noticing the difference. I'm guessing that when doing them with weights you may need to have recovery time instead of running on them so soon. Yuor trainer may be able to advise on that better than I can though. :smile:
    michable wrote: »
    I wanted to ask the group about fueling during races. I am planning on getting some energy gels (eg GU) to practice with on my long runs. I have tried a few different things for fueling during my HMs, e.g. jelly beans and jelly babies (they don’t seem to get soft enough, so still require a lot of chewing while running, which is quite difficult I have found, as you seem to need to breathe as well). The time I tried a GU during a race was a bit of a fail - I had to stop at the water stop for about a minute or two to get it down (it wasn’t very nice). I am hoping that a nicer flavor may go down more easily.

What do you use for fuel during races? And how do you eat it on the run? Or do you just use energy drinks?
    I use GU personally but it sounds like this may not be the best choice for you based on your experience. People who disagree with GU usually ahve problems with texture, or it making them thirsty, etc.

It's really a personal thing. Everyone winds up finding their preference based on many things. I had the same problem with the sport beans in that they just took too long to chew and the volume required to get to the same amount of calories as a GU was just a bit much in my opinion.

You may try some sort of sport chews like GU Chomps or even those Gatorade Chews. I started out preferring the GU Chomps about a year ago, but when I switched to full marathon training I moved to the GU packets because they took up so much less room in my pockets to have enough to get me through a full. So in the end the GU usage was a personal call. I could tolerate it and the storage was right.

You may also try those Honey Stinger Waffles. They do not have any electrolytes which is really the only reason I haven't used them. But you could get electrolytes from something else (pills or tablets are available).

Sometimes I will use energy drinks when the bottle I'm carrying will store enough to last me my entire run. As for race day, I do not like using energy drinks because the serving sizes in those cups are small and I do not like having to request multiple cups. Even if I add up a cup or two at every stop it is usually not enough (for me but I am a big boy and require over 200 calories refueling per hour by my body weight which is about double most people). So for me energy drinks are not a great option.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Congrats everyone on a fabulous month! It looks like a great many people here were able to meet their goals due to the extra weekend. To anyone who came up short for any reason, that happens to all of us at some point and there is always NEXT month!