Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    At this point any advice is unwarranted and annoying to me. I know exactly what works for me in losing weight, as evidenced by my weight loss. Keep ALL your crap advice to yourself.

My brother is bad. He is so annoyed if I don't do an hour of cardio, fasted, every day, as in his mind, that's the only way to lose weight. I have asked him if it hurts still being stuck in the 80s, and suggested he read New Rules of Lifting. I find it funny that he gives advice when he is at least 50 lbs overweight and goes to the gym a lot, yet I never see any changes. I'm going to give him advice: step away from the bag of potato chips!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    kar328 wrote: »
    I'd lost fifty pounds and was told I shouldn't lose more because I was starting to look "sickly." At the time I was 5'2" (still am lol) and in the 190s. Um ...

It's not advice given to me, but quite a few people at work started a smoothie diet for the new year, to get rid of all those pesky toxins no one can seem to name. Sadly, I work in a hospital and this was organized by one of the anesthesiologists and a lot of my fellow nurses participated. Nothing wrong with a good smoothie, (although I haven't made one in about two years) but for three meals a day, I'm only drinking all my calories if my jaw was wired shut due to surgery or an accident. And I don't know what the ingredients were, but those things were some horribly unappealing colors.

I work in a major health care system (lots of hospitals & medical research). The things you will hear about weight loss from MDs, RNs, PhDs, i.e. people who should know woo when they hear it, makes me want to cry.

It also makes me want to shake people who think the stupid advice must be correct because it came from their doc - who must be the end-all-be-all when it comes to nutrition.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    JLG1986 wrote: »
    No matter what diet or exercise plan I'm on, people HAVE to disagree. Low carb? Unhealthy, they say. Calorie counting? Doesn't work, they say. High fat? The devil, they say. Lifting heavy? You'll be she-hulk, they tell me!

But even though they always disagree with my diet especially, they turn around and make weird suggestions like only eat one color of food a day. Sigh.

My favorite is the people who do this, and then in the next breath ask me for advice on how they can lose weight like I did (because obviously it wasn't whatever plan they'd just been arguing with me about). I'm pretty sure some are convinced that I'm lying about the 'secret' of my success and am a big meanie.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker that tells me I shouldn't eat any carbs. Drives me nuts. I'm 5'11" and 207, I'm usually in the 195-210 range depending on what I'm training for. And eating 30% carbs keeps me in that range. I adjust the % based on the training I am doing, but I always have carbs in the mix.
    Pretty much any fad diet that people preach to me drives me crazy. Eat healthy and balanced, not only will you get to your goal, but you'll be able to continue eating like that forever. People make life harder than it needs to be.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Veryana wrote: »
    "You should go to The Biggest Losers if you are that serious about weight loss"
    I would honestly consider smacking someone if they said that to me.

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention this one: that if i don't switch things up every few months, one's body will get used to the routine, and one will stop loosing weight, no matter how much or little one is eating.
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You need to eat at 1000 calories to lose weight.
  • missroseseeshertoes
    Options
    Where do I start... possibly the person who told my mother it was just puppy fat and I would grow out of it... I am now 42
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    "Eat more protein" as a general annoyance

Or more specifically my sweet husband who is 5'10" 160 lbs with 6 pack abs at age 36 and who has never struggled with his weight has advised "when I was in the high school wrestling team we would just not eat to cut weight and that always worked." Good lord to be a skinny 15 year old high school boy. I'm a 42 year old woman. I can't just "not eat". I'm not trying to trim off a half pound for a pre-match weigh in.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    People who say 'Wow, you've lost loads of weight, how did you do it', but the minute I say changing up my diet, eating nutritionally and moving more they lose interest because I haven't told them some 'magic formula' of eating mushrooms that a virgin mermaid has urinated on. Hmm, thanks, rant over!
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    People who say 'Wow, you've lost loads of weight, how did you do it', but the minute I say changing up my diet, eating nutritionally and moving more they lose interest because I haven't told them some 'magic formula' of eating mushrooms that a virgin mermaid has urinated on. Hmm, thanks, rant over!

This made me laugh so hard!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    I'm looking at recipes on Pinterest and something called fat flush soup came up. :s

If it's what i think it is, I've done it before and it's vile.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Old ones that just came to mind, that one needs to work out in the cardio zone or weight loss zone to lose weight, or one has to work out in the morning to get one's metabolism going.

another thing i hate hearing is if I drink alcohol, is everything i eat for the rest of the day will turn straight to fat, and i won't burn any calories no matter what else I do. I guess those 3 shots I had on Saturday negated the 11 miles i waled throughout the day).
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Oprah telling me to join Weight Watchers with her because bread.
  • pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but I can't forgive o.w for Dr Phil and Dr oz....

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

Yep. That commercial drives me bonkers.
  • ShaneLynch1972
    ShaneLynch1972 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Not really annoying advice but when people assume because you've lost a lot of weight, you must have had "weight loss" surgery.
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've been having success with the amount of calories I've been eating at (1,873), but my friend suggested that I drop my calories down to about 1,000 (according to her, I was eating too many, despite being in a deficit) "to lose a lot of weight, fast", and then go back up to eating where I am now :| . All of this was unsolicited of course. She swore she was eating 1,000 at one point that aided in her weight loss about 10 years ago (of course she gained it back). I asked her why she gained the weight back if it worked so well for her, to which she replied "I don't think I eat a lot...just the wrong things." Oh, okay.

I cannot stand unsolicited advice. I need to just stop talking to people about weight loss, seriously.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    I've been having success with the amount of calories I've been eating at (1,873), but my friend suggested that I drop my calories down to about 1,000 (according to her, I was eating too many, despite being in a deficit) "to lose a lot of weight, fast", and then go back up to eating where I am now :| . All of this was unsolicited of course. She swore she was eating 1,000 at one point that aided in her weight loss about 10 years ago (of course she gained it back). I asked her why she gained the weight back if it worked so well for her, to which she replied "I don't think I eat a lot...just the wrong things." Oh, okay.

I cannot stand unsolicited advice. I need to just stop talking to people about weight loss, seriously.

Yea I don't talk with people about that anymore.

If they ask me what I did to lose the weight I just tell them I ate less
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »

Yea I don't talk with people about that anymore.

If they ask me what I did to lose the weight I just tell them I ate less

Good idea! I'm going to try saying this - this should keep the conversation under 10 seconds :) .