Most annoying "advice" anyone has given you?

Options

Replies

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    carmkizzle wrote: »
    I've been having success with the amount of calories I've been eating at (1,873), but my friend suggested that I drop my calories down to about 1,000 (according to her, I was eating too many, despite being in a deficit) "to lose a lot of weight, fast", and then go back up to eating where I am now :| . All of this was unsolicited of course. She swore she was eating 1,000 at one point that aided in her weight loss about 10 years ago (of course she gained it back). I asked her why she gained the weight back if it worked so well for her, to which she replied "I don't think I eat a lot...just the wrong things." Oh, okay.

I cannot stand unsolicited advice. I need to just stop talking to people about weight loss, seriously.

Yea I don't talk with people about that anymore.

If they ask me what I did to lose the weight I just tell them I ate less

Good idea! I'm going to try saying this - this should keep the conversation under 10 seconds :) .

After disbelief from folk that ask that people just need to eat less i think im going to go with I eat thin person poo.....

• Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Oprah telling me to join Weight Watchers with her because bread.

Ugh that commercial! Sorry Oprah bread isn't that important to me. Cookie dough however.. lol
  • carmkizzle
    carmkizzle Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    That conversation would definitely surpass the 10 second mark. @pootle1972

• pootle1972
    pootle1972 Posts: 579 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    That conversation would definitely surpass the 10 second mark. @pootle1972

Depends if it's whilst they are eating......I usually get asked while eating lunch
  • sp_xox
    sp_xox Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When people know you're trying to lose weight so whenever you have the odd treat they ask "aren't you supposed to be on a diet?"
  • pennybelle
    pennybelle Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't eat ANY carbs! Only eat tuna and a cup of ice cream 3 TIMES A DAY!! Take this pill! Drink this shake! Put this sticker on your arm! You will NEVER have to exercise!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I'm a little down cause the scale isn't moving in the right direction, and I'm weighing food as well as calorie-counting in tandem --- and then someone says "well, you must be eating more than you think you are". Grrrr Or, even worse, when they give pointers about how to cut more out - and I'm already at a lower daily intake rate than is recommended. Double-grrrr. Just got to stick with it!
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Oh gosh! Where do I start? I've been here since April 2011. I lost over 60 pounds and hit my goal weight back in May of 2012. I've been maintaining ever since. I think I've been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but people keep telling me the following 'facts' that I have found personally to be untrue.

1) Walking isn't real exercise and isn't enough for anyone to lose weight or be fit.

2) Lots of small meals will help you lose faster than eating three normal meals.

3) You need to keep your carbs under 100g a day to lose weight!

4) Fruit is bad for you because it has too much sugar.

5) Fat makes you fat.

6) You should do a cleanse/detox!

7) Drinking water helps you lose weight and flushes away toxins!

8) You can't lose weight if you eat in the evening.

:smile: Ha! Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me.

Those, and:

9) Sugar is a poison

10) Don't eat GMOs

11) Eat Organic

Add: Mayonnaise is a gross mistake (as if I didn't know that mayo is a fatty condiment - this from a know-it-all 30ish niece who ate mayo on her sandwiches her entire life until she became "enlightened")!
  • olympian41
    olympian41 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    "Just exercise more." Ya, thanks tips. Hadn't thought of that.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    kar328 wrote: »
    I'd lost fifty pounds and was told I shouldn't lose more because I was starting to look "sickly." At the time I was 5'2" (still am lol) and in the 190s. Um ...

It's not advice given to me, but quite a few people at work started a smoothie diet for the new year, to get rid of all those pesky toxins no one can seem to name. Sadly, I work in a hospital and this was organized by one of the anesthesiologists and a lot of my fellow nurses participated. Nothing wrong with a good smoothie, (although I haven't made one in about two years) but for three meals a day, I'm only drinking all my calories if my jaw was wired shut due to surgery or an accident. And I don't know what the ingredients were, but those things were some horribly unappealing colors.

I work in a major health care system (lots of hospitals & medical research). The things you will hear about weight loss from MDs, RNs, PhDs, i.e. people who should know woo when they hear it, makes me want to cry.

It also makes me want to shake people who think the stupid advice must be correct because it came from their doc - who must be the end-all-be-all when it comes to nutrition.

I had a nurse tell me that lo carb high protein diets..ie: being in ketosis would put you in a "zone" where you will build muscle with no exercise whatsoever. The magical ketosis place burns fat and builds muscle automatically. I argued with her for quite awhile about it. She literally got pouty with me because I wouldn't accept her "woo" as fact because "she's been a nurse in a weight loss clinic forever and she's "seen it repeatedly". Right lady.. taking someone's blood pressure and temperature doesn't make you a weight loss authority.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    Oprah telling me to join Weight Watchers with her because bread.

I did weight watchers for awhile and I lost weight.. I got tired of paying 40 bucks a month though when I can do it here for free. and WW's online database isn't nearly as good.
  • ShaneLynch1972
    ShaneLynch1972 Posts: 134 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    UpEarly wrote: »
    Oh gosh! Where do I start? I've been here since April 2011. I lost over 60 pounds and hit my goal weight back in May of 2012. I've been maintaining ever since. I think I've been successful at losing weight and keeping it off, but people keep telling me the following 'facts' that I have found personally to be untrue.

1) Walking isn't real exercise and isn't enough for anyone to lose weight or be fit.

From June 11th of 2015 to September 11th 2015 I lost the first 120.1 pounds of my 162.9 pounds lost. My only exercise......walking. :)
  • Bookhoarder
    Bookhoarder Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    To just control my eating - not eat so much junk food. lol
  • Bookhoarder
    Bookhoarder Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    To attain a certain number on the scale, regardless of what the body looks like.
    To attain a certain number on the scale, regardless of what the body looks like.

Wow.... That is worse than mine
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    sp_xox wrote: »
    When people know you're trying to lose weight so whenever you have the odd treat they ask "aren't you supposed to be on a diet?"

I hate that. No one but myself is accountable for me and that includes the food I put in my mouth. Thank you very much I am a grown up and I am steadily (if slowly) losing weight.
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    To just control my eating - not eat so much junk food. lol

Hate that! OH! Control my eating! Don't eat junk food! I never considered that! Thanks for telling me!
  • yvetty79
    yvetty79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    faramelee wrote: »
    People who say 'Wow, you've lost loads of weight, how did you do it', but the minute I say changing up my diet, eating nutritionally and moving more they lose interest because I haven't told them some 'magic formula' of eating mushrooms that a virgin mermaid has urinated on. Hmm, thanks, rant over!

This made my day

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My previous GP told me that I had to lose weight and to start switching 'white' food for whole grains, and eat granola bars as a snack instead of other things.

Still boggles my mind (although yeah I eat more whole grains, but do people really think that switching to whole grains is going to make you lose weight?).
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker that tells me every morning (as I'm making my oatmeal in the break room) that eating healthy is a waste of time and I will die anyway. Hmmm....and then he adds that he will start eating better once the doctor tells him to.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

But... I told them about moderation and portion control and maybe someday when they're done trying everything else, they'll remember.

think that's the thing, everyone wants a quick easy fix so they (me included in the past) try loads of fads and think it will work wonders in a short time period, it takes a really good mindset to prepare yourself for a life change - which is what most people on here are doing, any who truly think that just eating a colour of food a day or having herbalife shakes will magically make them lose 10lbs in one week are not serious about changing their life (for the long term) as they cant possibly be committed to it
    also I often get told to detox and only drink water - I drink about 6-8l min of water a day and about 1 hot choc or soda a week so does that means im on a permanent detox? if so why wasn't I skinny for the last few years?!?!?