Do you even kale?

Options

Replies

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Another vote for team spinach <3 I do like other dark greens (chard, collards, mustard, etc), but I just can't get with kale. So, eat all the kale, kale lovers. Rock on! Moar spinach for me ;)
  • kthompson601
    kthompson601 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I love kale--two cups into my morning smoothie, and occasionally in salads, but usually my go-to in salad is spinach and arugula. Big spinach fan!
  • sinbos
    sinbos Posts: 28 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here the one and only way to eat it.
    be careful its neither low on calories or fat or carbs. Typical winter dish. Also add mustard for the sausages or even something mixed with the kale on your plate. Also for best taste the kale has to be cut in the morning while its still freezing.

http://germanfoods.org/recipes/kale-stew-with-smoked-meat-and-sausages/
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

So what? If we never ate food that animals eat we'd starve.

I was pointing out the media promoted "superfoods" and incremental profit margin and not saying animals eat it so we shouldn't

But I think you knew that :)

No, I didn't. If that was the only point I don't understand the remark about cattle. Popularity drives price on everything.

I'm sorry you didn't understand

Popularity should drive price down actually unless demand and supply issues which there aren't because it's an easy grow which is another reason it was used for cattle feed
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,121 Member
    Options
    Growing up as the child of a immigrant from the Netherlands, I grew up eating kale usually mashed together with potatoes. I love it, but that is because of the fond memories it brings up. I like the taste, but no more or less than spinach or other greens.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Kale is really cheap around here. I can get a huge bag of it trimmed for under $2, or buy a really big bunch for $1.

Anyway, I love kale. My grandfather's favorite vegetable is kale, so my mom had it around when I was growing up. I use it exactly like collards (which my dad grew up with, so we had both around!) when I throw it into stews or if I have it raw, I massage it and let it sit in a bit of oil to break it down. If I had the desire to waste my calories on extra oil, I'd probably pick a massaged kale salad over any other salad green.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    kale.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    After I took Succulent Spiced Turkey Carnitas out of the oven and removed the turkey to a dish, I added some kale and wilted for a few minutes. Had this with the turkey and rice. NOM NOM NOM.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kale-anti-inflammatory-full-of-antioxidants.jpg
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Nope

It's just greens

Used to be cheap cattle fodder until it was picked up as a "superfood"

One born every minute

For the record, I've been eating kale for almost 50 years.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Nope. And for the record, one doesn't get "extra credit" once micro nutrients are met. Like above poster, give me spinach instead.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Calorie for calorie, spinach has more nutrients anyway.

I wish I could find it now, but sometime last year I found a list ranking leafy greens based on nutrition and kale was nowhere near the #1 choice.

I prefer spinach and other greens over kale because taste. I can handle some baby kale mixed with other greens in a salad, but I'd much prefer better tasting greens with more nutrients.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I always find these infographics about a vegetable interesting, because if you did the same thing with just how many fortified vitamins, particularly the B vitamins, are in almost any grain product including Oreos, the reaction wouldn't be the same.

Personally I partially blame Linus Pauling for knowing a lot about physics, but being a quack about vitamin C intake.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't hate it but I don't understand the obsession because it doesn't seem vastly different from a lot of other greens. I personally prefer spinach or arugula. Kale is more of a hassle to prepare so I'd rather go with something easier.
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Makes a nice salad on occasion, but its best with a little goat cheese, flavored balsamic and nuts. If I never had it again, I think I'd live.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I always find these infographics about a vegetable interesting, because if you did the same thing with just how many fortified vitamins, particularly the B vitamins, are in almost any grain product including Oreos, the reaction wouldn't be the same.

Personally I partially blame Linus Pauling for knowing a lot about physics, but being a quack about vitamin C intake.

Dysfunctional Foods

Like lipstick on a pig: why fortified junk foods can't change junk

One of the disquieting trends in modern nutrition—and frankly, there are quite a few—is the contention that fortification makes any food a good food.

A time-honored example is breakfast cereal. Who hasn't heard a sonorous announcer conclude a television commercial by declaring that some kids' cereal that would otherwise seem a lot like a bowl full of jelly beans is "fortified with 11 essential vitamins and minerals—part of a complete breakfast!"

They tend not to mention that it can be a very dubious part of a complete breakfast. Nor do they tend to specify in what way it's complete.

This was bad enough, but now we have vitamins and minerals added to almost every edible thing, including soda, and even water. The food industry would have us believe this makes the food better for us. I disagree.

What is in play here is the definition of functional food, or functionally enhanced food. Our bodies need essential nutrients; that, of course, is what makes them essential. Our culture seems to have accepted the notion that adding such nutrients to foods always enhances them.

Michael Pollan argued eloquently against this notion in his January 2007 New York Times Magazine story. Nutrient fortification of everything as a basis for implying a food is nutritious is the very epitome of the dangerous trend Pollan referred to as "nutritionism"—the substitution of an unhelpful focus on isolated nutrients in place of the far more constructive focus on wholesome foods and overall nutritional quality.

For my part, I don't think a food that is dysfunctional to begin with can be made functional with the addition of vitamins and minerals. To borrow a metaphor, this is putting lipstick on a pig.

Read more: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2013/04/01/dysfunctional-foods
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nope. And for the record, one doesn't get "extra credit" once micro nutrients are met. Like above poster, give me spinach instead.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wish I could find it now, but sometime last year I found a list ranking leafy greens based on nutrition and kale was nowhere near the #1 choice.

I prefer spinach and other greens over kale because taste. I can handle some baby kale mixed with other greens in a salad, but I'd much prefer better tasting greens with more nutrients.

I think I saw the list to which you refer. It had romaine lettuce as #1 or close to? It was kind of an odd way they were rating and only looking at certain nutrients. But most, if not all, leafy greens are nutritious which is why I like to eat a large variety. It really doesn't need to be a contest. ;)
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Took me awhile to 'warm up' to liking kale. I really like making kale 'chips' and like purple kale in soups/stews (holds up well). It does appear to be a 'better' choice than spinach - but all greens are good (health wise!)
    37d21a0e-e733-43c7-8504-e91a6eb74b68_zpsnt5iieeb.jpg
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Never had it.

I like kohlrabi greens though. Used to throw them out and just eat the bulb and then realized what a waste that was.
  • kshama2001
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I think I saw the list to which you refer. It had romaine lettuce as #1 or close to? It was kind of an odd way they were rating and only looking at certain nutrients. But most, if not all, leafy greens are nutritious which is why I like to eat a large variety. It really doesn't need to be a contest. ;)

Yup, variety is great :)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all&_r=2&amp;

...Simplification has occurred at the level of species diversity, too. The astounding variety of foods on offer in the modern supermarket obscures the fact that the actual number of species in the modern diet is shrinking. For reasons of economics, the food industry prefers to tease its myriad processed offerings from a tiny group of plant species, corn and soybeans chief among them. Today, a mere four crops account for two-thirds of the calories humans eat. When you consider that humankind has historically consumed some 80,000 edible species, and that 3,000 of these have been in widespread use, this represents a radical simplification of the food web. Why should this matter? Because humans are omnivores, requiring somewhere between 50 and 100 different chemical compounds and elements to be healthy. It’s hard to believe that we can get everything we need from a diet consisting largely of processed corn, soybeans, wheat and rice.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Never had it.

I like kohlrabi greens though. Used to throw them out and just eat the bulb and then realized what a waste that was.

It's kind of sad how many greens are wasted. Broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, plus so many other vegetables have delicious edible greens that are usually thrown away. In markets in my area you can't even buy beet greens unless they are attached to the beetroot, and those aren't always available.