The February 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    @MorningGhost14 -I think that would be funnier if it said " I don't always run marathons, but when I do it's the 5K ones".
    I absolutely agree! Lol!

Funny stuff guys, thanks for the laughs! Sad day today so much needed! :smile:
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I'm brand new and a couple days late - hope that's ok! I'm setting my goal at 25 miles. I'm a brand new runner, who just started in October and stopped when the snow hit the ground. I have never run more than 3 miles in a week - so this will be a good way to get motivated!!

I think it's time for me to invest in some good cold-weather gear, and hit the road!!

exercise.png

Welcome! 25 miles in a month may seem insignificant. Stick with us for a few months and that may change. :-)
    We also have folks that brave the cold weather and can provide some good tips. If you so dare to get out this winter.
  • itstime2016
    itstime2016 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Y'all! I am a newbie to running, before Jan I could not even run 1 min at a time. I am now up to running for 2 min and walk 1 min and so forth. Going to try and press harder every week to increase my running time. Goal is to run Mon, Wed, Fri with other cardio and strength training in-between. So far so good!

Goal is to run 6 miles per week at least, 24 miles this month... At Least!

Activity Name Walk / Run Treadmill
    Start: Mon Feb 1 2016 7:00 pm
    Distance 2.00 miles
    Time: 32 min
    Avg HR 150
    Max HR 175
    Calories 303
    ~Good run today! Walk 1 min / Run 2 min for 32 min = 2 miles!

Activity: Elliptical
    Tue, Feb 2, 2016 3:10 PM
    Distance: 2 miles
    Time: 31:15
    Avg HR: 160
    Max HR: 181
    Calories: 315
    ~Getting easier every time I do this now, may be time to change up the cardio program level I am using!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Anybody do hill training like this? Saw this video shared on Facebook. Say, 4x400m hill repeats? :lol:

https://youtu.be/S7WRCi0J2j8

OMG I just spent the last 20 minutes watching a bunch of these and sending them to the XC team! LOL Quit your whining about hills!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    it's worse than our hill i think
    PI-CBK-Wisconsin-basketball-hill-090814.vadapt.476.high.65.jpg
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I live on a treadmill during the winter. I don't get along well with Northeast Pennsylvania winters to begin with - just walking to and from my car to get the gym is enough winter for me.

I completely 100% agree with @Virkati - I consider my treadmill training a small victory over stupid winter. PA winters deserve no apologies from me!

Yes! Don't screw your shoes--screw winter!

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Anybody do hill training like this? Saw this video shared on Facebook. Say, 4x400m hill repeats? :lol:

https://youtu.be/S7WRCi0J2j8

That is crazy! Their bodies are practically parallel to the ground! Wow!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I may or may not have just sprayed a little coffee out my nose from the pictures. But all better than climbing up that hill!

ETA: I'm sad to report that I had to send my new Excursions back. I hated them. :( My search for a comfortable trail shoe continues...

1/31 Rest
    2/1 6.25 @ 12.00 on the treadmill
    2/2 3.5 (3 @ 11:50 and .5 walking) and strength training
    2/3
    2/4
    2/5
    2/6
    (9.75/25 for the week)

Upcoming Races:
    Feb. 14 Run Your Heart Out 5K, Reston, VA
    Feb. 22 Disney Princess Half Marathon, Orlando, FL

exercise.png
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Upping my goal from January from 50 to 80km. January was just to get an idea of where I was.

exercise.png

First race of the year on February 7th, a 5k.

Is this for the first quarter of the year? 80km's?!? Are you training for something? Okay, seriously, hats off. I officially considered running today. Tomorrow looks better. I'll lift today

• zmcgrandles
    zmcgrandles Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi again back for another go, aiming for 60 miles just below the training plan give myself a bit of a breather

2/1 5 miles

exercise.png

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ , here's how you fit your long run in with your hiking. Once you get about 80% to the end of the hike, tell her you forgot something and need to go back, but that she should continue on and wait at the end. Then you run back the start, then back to meet her. Continue doing this until you get your miles in. Not only do you get your long run in, you get some hiking in too, which counts for cross training!
    @7lenny7 So this is the clever "how to I get my long run without telling my visitor running is more important that hiking with her"-solution? Very sneaky! ^^ Although the plan is to rent snowshoes and head for some snowy mountain trails, that would make for interesting running conditions!
    That race serious sounds interesting. Are they all in one place? That might be nice, then you already know the location for race 2-4. And "Autumn Trail" conjurs up really pretty images of clear blue skies and falling leaves ;-)

@KatrinaGrey Wellcome to the challenge! An 80s themed 5k with a team is going to be fun, sounds like you really have something nice to train for.

@pansamanchada congrats on the new running shoes :-)
    I don't understand what they're saying but I think it's something like
    "I didn't realize what a terrible mistake this would be!"
    other seems to say
    "If you find my heart downhill please return it, I need it" lol
    Lol, that's what every sane person would say, but not even close to what these guys are saying in the video! Well, at least one guy sais "it was torture" and another "you feel like you're about to die". But there are enough crazies saying things like "my legs are exploding, the pain is extreme - but it was extremely fabulous" and "Freaking hard! But awesome, totally worth it.". Although from looking at the pictures, I'm betting halfway up they all were thinking the things you wrote ^^

@5BeautifulDays Good luck on your hunt for the perfect trail shoe! I bought some Nike Wildhorses a few weeks ago for trails, but so far, I'm not really sure yet if I like them or not... I have three pair of road-shoes that I love, but finding the trail shoes of my dreams seams to be much harder.

--

I didn't get to do my interval training in the gym yesterday as planned, because it was super crowded (when will all the new year's resolutionist go away already?!). Did my strength training first, still crowded, waited ten minutes, but I was really hungry and wanted to go home and get dinner, so no run.
    Instead, I went for a fast 5k run tonight after work. I was pushing the speed to make up for the missed interval training and ended up with an average pace of 6:37/km. That was definitely my fastest outdoor run in the last six month, and on top Strava informed me it was my 3rd best 5k effort. I believe that means I've earned my mint chocolate ice creamin front of the TV tonight. :-)

exercise.png
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    2/1: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    2/2: Rest day Jk... 5 miles

Decided to do tomorrow's afternoon run today, because tomorrow afternoon is supposed to be "soaking rain" and "gusts up to 40 mph." No thanks! Super speedy run today though. I love running in the afternoon. I'm all fueled up from the day, awake and ready to go... felt really strong and fast!

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    4/3: Caesar Rodney Half Marathon
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    "how to I get my long run without telling my visitor running is more important that hiking with her"-solution?

Uhhh.... what could be more important than getting your long run in? Family and friends just have to know this.

hey, I don't argue with the locals down here when they think some Alabama football game is more important than everything else. So why should it be any different? *snickers*
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    So for those of you who happen to have fallen victim to my whining about my bike the other day, I have some GREAT news...the Denver police bicycle auction is scheduled for Feb 20. Woot woot! They have a bare minimal information catalogue of the bikes up for auction already with (hopefully) more to be added as the day draws nearer. I'm so completely stoked about the whole thing!! A number of Fuji, Specialized, Trek, DiamondBack...all names I know, all brands with really good reputations. Of course they have the Huffy and Next etc, so no matter what, I'll walk out with a bike. Undoubtedly cheaper than fixing the one I have or buying a lower tier brand name. YES!!
    No running yet, but lots of floor exercises. Too bad they don't count towards mileage lol.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Date      Miles      MTD
    ------    -----    -----
    Feb 02      4.4T     4.4

exercise.png
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new people and hi again to all the returning folks.

My relay team picked their legs last night. I am co-captaining so I hung back and left my pick to almost last so that the runners who needed easier legs could get one (and so the crazy ones could pick the super hard ones). I ended up with one of the really easy legs. I kinda had it in my head it was going to be tough so I was a little disappointed. That lasted less than 24 hours. We had two runners with conflicts so one of them got my friend's leg, she's running mine and I'm running a different one. It's a tougher one, one of my top 4 picks so that's good.

"17.5 km Rating 3.5 (out of 5) (start time: 1345hrs)
    A long moderate climb up to the entrance of the National Park, then go gently rolling downhill through the village. "

I am familiar with this leg (well, I know the whole relay)

0217.jpg

The time cutoff will be about 1:45 (9:30 m/m, 6:00 km).
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    "how to I get my long run without telling my visitor running is more important that hiking with her"-solution?

Uhhh.... what could be more important than getting your long run in? Family and friends just have to know this.

hey, I don't argue with the locals down here when they think some Alabama football game is more important than everything else. So why should it be any different? *snickers*

Ha-ha OU and Dallas cowboy fans feel the same. Football junkie's...
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Virkati wrote: »
    So for those of you who happen to have fallen victim to my whining about my bike the other day, I have some GREAT news...the Denver police bicycle auction is scheduled for Feb 20. Woot woot! They have a bare minimal information catalogue of the bikes up for auction already with (hopefully) more to be added as the day draws nearer. I'm so completely stoked about the whole thing!! A number of Fuji, Specialized, Trek, DiamondBack...all names I know, all brands with really good reputations. Of course they have the Huffy and Next etc, so no matter what, I'll walk out with a bike. Undoubtedly cheaper than fixing the one I have or buying a lower tier brand name. YES!!
    No running yet, but lots of floor exercises. Too bad they don't count towards mileage lol.

Super news! I have my fingers crossed for the perfect bike!
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

LOL - this discussion cracked me up. @7lenny7's idea about forgetting something...and then running back! IDK, we all have a serious running addiction here. This actually sounded like a great idea to me.

If anyone would have told me a few years ago I would be sneaking out to run and thinking it was fine to make up a story so I could run, I would have said they were CRAZY! But, here I am.

Welcome to all the newcomers ... and be warned ... you will soon be addicted like the rest of us.

• nhenryoliver
    nhenryoliver Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm a periodic runner who is trying to get into a routine of a couple of small runs each week.
    http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/waa5BO0/exercise.png