Do you even kale?

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.

Oh what a double standard. Had you said sugar was the devil this thread would have blown up with advice that you have a bad relationship with food and you shouldn't demonize ... yadda, yadda, yadda
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    I do love me some brussel sprouts. Very filling also in my opinion so that's a big plus for them.

Yeah...broccoli, brussel sprouts...fill me up brother! Love em love em love em. Spinach...arugula...gimme gimme gimme.

Kale is still the devil.

Oh what a double standard. Had you said sugar was the devil this thread would have blown up with advice that you have a bad relationship with food and you shouldn't demonize ... yadda, yadda, yadda

DYE sarcasm?
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited February 2016
    One of my all time favorite recipes has kale in it.

http://pinchofyum.com/sweet-potato-kale-sausage-bake-white-cheese-sauce

And a pound of italian sausage and lots of gruyere cheese...but, ya know, also kale.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    I can pick it up for pretty cheap, so I'm good with it. Turnip greens are my favorite.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    I kale failed. Spinach on Tombstone today...with EVOO. Evil stuff.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    I share Jim Gaffigan's feelings about kale...

"It tastes like bug spray. I was looking at a can of bug spray and it said, 'made with real kale'."
    "Kale is a superfood, and it's special power is tasting bad."
    "It's like a really bitter spinach with hair."
    "They could find out that kale cures cancer and I'd be like, 'I'll just do the chemo'."
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    olimadmom wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    kale-anti-inflammatory-full-of-antioxidants.jpg

Once I find a typo ("Inflammitory"), I lose all respect and question the veracity of the rest of the content.

Shoot. Guess I'll get back to the other method of preventing prostate cancer.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    The kale in my garden is not bitter and tastes nothing like bug spray. It is sweet and luscious. I plant a variety of greens because they all taste and behave differently. My very favorite way to cook it: wash, remove center stalk, roll, and slice thinly. Put it in a skillet with a little water and olive oil and a few raisins or dried cherries and a sprinkle of salt. Put the lid on and cook over medium till tender (just a few minutes) then sprinkle on blue cheese and toasted pine nuts. Yum!!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    One night I made a crap ton of kale chips and woke up with my throat feeling tight and itchy. I didn't really think much of it so ate kale again for lunch...itchy. Only in large quantities does it happen, but it doesn't really make me want kale anymore.
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Only ways I like it are kale chips and in my homeade kale sausage and potato soup
  • getsweaty123go
    getsweaty123go Posts: 53 Member
    Hmm I have tried it. I even have a container of homemade kale chips next to my bed (for netflix ;-)), but I just find it too bitter. I am going to try making brussel sprout leaf salt & vinegar chips next.
  • Nope. Kale tastes like poisoned lettuce to me, and I'm not going to eat it just because "it's so good for you!!!"
  • M3ltD0Vvn
    M3ltD0Vvn Posts: 76 Member
    Kale tastes like a hippies arm pit.
  • jandw122912
    jandw122912 Posts: 66 Member
    M3ltD0Vvn wrote: »
    Kale tastes like a hippies arm pit.

Bahahahahaha.

And no, I don't kale... I also don't spinach or brussel sprout... Just not for me!
  • chambej7
    chambej7 Posts: 3 Member
    Not a big kale fan, I also prefer spinach. But I have have heard such good things about the benefits of kale, so I think if I just mix it into a super food salad, I can get used to i.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Kale is amazing in gnocchi soup. I also don't mind it raw in sandwiches instead of lettuce.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2016
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    The kale in my garden is not bitter and tastes nothing like bug spray. It is sweet and luscious. I plant a variety of greens because they all taste and behave differently. My very favorite way to cook it: wash, remove center stalk, roll, and slice thinly. Put it in a skillet with a little water and olive oil and a few raisins or dried cherries and a sprinkle of salt. Put the lid on and cook over medium till tender (just a few minutes) then sprinkle on blue cheese and toasted pine nuts. Yum!!!

It has nothing to do with sourcing but how different people taste certain sulforaphanes.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    I had a kale salad with grilled butternut squash, roasted beets, Granny Smith apples, and homemade granola for dinner tonight. Really yummy!

Oh, and I make kale chips in my dehydrator a couple of times a week with tahini, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, and garlic powder. Crispy, yet light and airy. Really good!
  • tarabole
    tarabole Posts: 166 Member
    I love kale but I also love spinach and chard. I think cabbage though is the most underrated vegetable.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I'm pretty sure kale's roots reach all the way into the depths of hell, and draw its flavor right from the source. It's Satan's salad vegetable.