Options

Replies

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    mathjulz wrote: »
    How do you double-blind the researchers?

Easy peasy. Some participants get meals with real meat, and others get meals with placebo vegan meat substitutes that have identical flavor and texture, and neither the researchers nor the participants know who got what until after the study.

:)

And since you're not going to catch cancer in a few weeks (the typical length of a double-blind intervention), the study will have to last 20 years.

No problem

Let's see if we can get any volunteers for that one!

I was going to suggest getting an independent third party to puree it all into a soup-like substance. Sign me up, that sounds awesome!

Because this is where these threads tend to lead:

Meat or fake-meat soup
    Twenty year blinded study
    Any takers here?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    How do you double-blind the researchers?

Easy peasy. Some participants get meals with real meat, and others get meals with placebo vegan meat substitutes that have identical flavor and texture, and neither the researchers nor the participants know who got what until after the study.

:)

And since you're not going to catch cancer in a few weeks (the typical length of a double-blind intervention), the study will have to last 20 years.

No problem

Let's see if we can get any volunteers for that one!

I was going to suggest getting an independent third party to puree it all into a soup-like substance. Sign me up, that sounds awesome!

Because this is where these threads tend to lead:

Meat or fake-meat soup
    Twenty year blinded study
    Any takers here?

sign me up right now
    want someone to force feed me
    meat or fake-meat soup
  • JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I like having meals with my family, though. Maybe if they could have family days at the lab, like for Thanksgiving and such, and my family comes and depending on which group I'm in we all get either turkey or tofurkey soup, then I'd do it.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    OMP33 wrote: »
    tomw86 wrote: »
    Another "source" from a vegan propaganda site. Color me surprised.

Every study saying that meat is not bad for you is probably written by someone who eats meat. So there's propaganda right there!

My sister's partner is a competition cyclist here in the UK and he had managed to change my attitude towards them and their training slowing my car journeys down at the weekends. But you sir are rapidly sending me the other way back the other way. Please be quiet and stop derailing every thread you get involved in with your baseless theories and debunked science. /Rant mode off

Its not debunked if there's still research and studies behind it.

All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that.

Don't forget the rigor that goes into the review process for academic journals. It's not like I can say "I like meat so this is what I'm going to say about eating it." It's the popular media that skews things for headlines (like WHO placing meat in the same cancer causing category as tobacco ... that's not at all what the metanalysis study said about meat.) And those who are just out to prove their point do for propaganda. It would really behoove you to learn the difference.

Maybe in college ...

"All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that."

And my research points in the opposite direction of yours. But ofcourse, they will never say meat is bad for you because meat eaters are on the panel of they obviously don't want to cut out their meat!

Every study saying that meat is not bad for you is probably written by someone who eats meat. So there's propaganda right there!

My sister's partner is a competition cyclist here in the UK and he had managed to change my attitude towards them and their training slowing my car journeys down at the weekends. But you sir are rapidly sending me the other way back the other way. Please be quiet and stop derailing every thread you get involved in with your baseless theories and debunked science. /Rant mode off

All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that.

Don't forget the rigor that goes into the review process for academic journals. It's not like I can say "I like meat so this is what I'm going to say about eating it." It's the popular media that skews things for headlines (like WHO placing meat in the same cancer causing category as tobacco ... that's not at all what the metanalysis study said about meat.) And those who are just out to prove their point do for propaganda. It would really behoove you to learn the difference.

Maybe in college ...

"All the recent research points in the other direction, though, and you seem to be ignoring that."

And my research points in the opposite direction of yours. But ofcourse, they will never say meat is bad for you because meat eaters are on the panel of they obviously don't want to cut out their meat!

"Your" research is pulling up articles and studies over a decade old. What I'm referring to is the academic reports of scientific studies done in the last few years. Like I said, learn the difference between propoganda, popular media, and actual rigorous scientific research.

Humans have not evolved in the last 20 years so the research still holds validity. Second, haven't you realized that most studies are conducted by people who eat meat? That's propaganda for you right there.

So the only people who can do studies on the effects of meat consumption and cancer are vegetarians or vegans? You don't think that would pose a potential conflict of interest?

No I wouldn't say that because there would be bias. I think a double-blind study would be most effective.

LOL. So you obviously don't know what "double-blind" means.

"of or relating to an experiment or clinical trial in which neither the subjects nor the researchers know which subjects are receiving the active medication, treatment, etc., and which are not: a technique for eliminating subjective bias from the test results."
  • OMP33
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    eeejer wrote: »
    this is all you need to read about protein controversy. Read everything by Lyle if you want science. http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/protein-controversies.html/

This article gives some good insight. Now I have a better understanding of all this. Thanks for posting the link!

my pleasure, Lyle is one of the few guys you can really trust, he posts sources for everything, and he knows his stuff. His website is a gold mine of valuable information.

Lyle,Layne Norton,Alan Agaron,Eric Helms,Brad Schofield are all great sources of information as is Stuart Phillips who is a guru of protein.

Layne Norton is a goof, definitely not a good source of info.

You really dont have a clue.

Yeah because Layne Norton knows SO much because he has a PhD!! That makes him super smart!
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

"Your" research is pulling up articles and studies over a decade old. What I'm referring to is the academic reports of scientific studies done in the last few years. Like I said, learn the difference between propoganda, popular media, and actual rigorous scientific research.

Humans have not evolved in the last 20 years so the research still holds validity. Second, haven't you realized that most studies are conducted by people who eat meat? That's propaganda for you right there.

So the only people who can do studies on the effects of meat consumption and cancer are vegetarians or vegans? You don't think that would pose a potential conflict of interest?

No I wouldn't say that because there would be bias. I think a double-blind study would be most effective.

"of or relating to an experiment or clinical trial in which neither the subjects nor the researchers know which subjects are receiving the active medication, treatment, etc., and which are not: a technique for eliminating subjective bias from the test results."

Congratulations. You can google definitions and copy/paste them.

Now explain how you can double-blind an epidemiological study on meat and cancer.
  • OMP33
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Now explain how you can double-blind an epidemiological study on meat and cancer.

I would say you have a meat dish and a faux meat dish. You have an unbiased third party randomly select people to which one to eat and record who eats what. Have the researchers do their studies on the control (faux meat group because it doesn't have any carcinogens in it) and experimental (meat group because of the carcinogen) and see what changes occur in both of the groups. At the end of the study, the unbiased 3rd party reveals who ate what and record the changes that the experimental group experienced compared to the control group.

That's just my best stab at it, I'm sure a researcher could come up with a better study.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

I would say you have a meat dish and a faux meat dish. You have an unbiased third party randomly select people to which one to eat and record who eats what. Have the researchers do their studies on the control (faux meat group because it doesn't have any carcinogens in it) and experimental (meat group because of the carcinogen) and see what changes occur in both of the groups. At the end of the study, the unbiased 3rd party reveals who ate what and record the changes that the experimental group experienced compared to the control group.

That's just my best stab at it, I'm sure a researcher could come up with a better study.

Except faux meat tastes nothing like real meat, and you don't catch cancer in a few weeks. That's why all research to determine causes of cancer are epidemiological -- you have to look at decades worth of data.

Now kindly explain how you would double-blind an epidemiological study.
  • OMP33
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Except faux meat tastes nothing like real meat, and you don't catch cancer in a few weeks. That's why all research to determine causes of cancer are epidemiological -- you have to look at decades worth of data.

First I've heard there are various meats that taste like actual meat. Gardein Szechuan beefless strips taste exactly like beef; there ARE products that you can't distinguish between real or faux. Second, I never said anything about the time period of the study. If it needs years to do, then it needs years to do.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

First I've heard there are various meats that taste like actual meat. Gardein Szechuan beefless strips taste exactly like beef; there ARE products that you can't distinguish between real or faux. Second, I never said anything about the time period of the study. If it needs years to do, then it needs years to do.

So back to fantasy land, I see.

Point to a single double-blind study, about ANYTHING, that lasted for years.
  • OMP33
    edited February 2016
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Have you tried the product I am talking about? Most likely not. So how could you formulate a decision when you have not tried it; that's silly. Second, I don't have to point anything out. All you asked me to do was give an example of what a correlative DB study would look like.
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Have you tried the product I am talking about? Most likely not. So how could you formulate a decision when you have not tried it; that's silly. Second, I don't have to point anything out. All you asked me to do was give an example of what a correlative DB study would look like.

Yes, it would look like something that has never, and can never happen in the real world.
  • OMP33
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Yes, it would look like something that has never, and can never happen in the real world.

Because what meat eating researches want to spend that amount of time and effort to prove that the stuff they are eating isn't good for them.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    A little late to this party but since @OMP33 mentioned Chris Froome, he might find this interview from 2013 interesting.

an exerpt...
    CF: Yeah, if you’re breaking down muscle that is, and that’s why the weight loss process is really important. If you look at me, as Michelle pointed out, in the Vuelta that year (2011), I think my muscles were probably lighter. I was quite gangly. You wouldn’t look at me and say, ‘That’s someone who’s strong’. Whereas now, my diet is a lot more protein based. I’ve cut back on carbs completely but I’m not losing muscle.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/paul-kimmage-chris-froome-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-part-2-30394950.html

Ahem....
  • FunkyTobias
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Because what meat eating researches want to spend that amount of time and effort to prove that the stuff they are eating isn't good for them.

Right. That's why there are so many double-blind interventions that have lasted for years. And by "so many", I mean zero.

And I'm not referring to meat and cancer. I'm talking about all of science. There has never been, and will never be a double-blind intervention that lasts for years. It's not realistically feasible. That's why the research that requires years of data has always been, and always will be, epidemiological.

• OMP33
    Options
    A little late to this party but since @OMP33 mentioned Chris Froome, he might find this interview from 2013 interesting.

an exerpt...
    CF: Yeah, if you’re breaking down muscle that is, and that’s why the weight loss process is really important. If you look at me, as Michelle pointed out, in the Vuelta that year (2011), I think my muscles were probably lighter. I was quite gangly. You wouldn’t look at me and say, ‘That’s someone who’s strong’. Whereas now, my diet is a lot more protein based. I’ve cut back on carbs completely but I’m not losing muscle.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/paul-kimmage-chris-froome-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-part-2-30394950.html

Ahem....

What does that have to do with anything? I said he doesn't need the muscle and he proved that in that passage.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

an exerpt...

Ahem....

"If the facts don't conform to the theory, they must be disposed of."
  • OMP33
    Options

Maybe in college ...

Maybe in college ...

Right. That's why there are so many double-blind interventions that have lasted for years. And by "so many", I mean zero.

And I'm not referring to meat and cancer. I'm talking about all of science. There has never been, and will never be a double-blind intervention that lasts for years. It's not realistically feasible. That's why the research that requires years of data has always been, and always will be, epidemiological.

I agree, I don't think there will be a long-term DB studies because of the fact that people don't want to waste their lives for the sole reason of a study.
  • MikeAV8s
    MikeAV8s Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Why does everyone continue to feed this troll? The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them.
  • OMP33
    Options
    MikeAV8s wrote: »
    Why does everyone continue to feed this troll? The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them.

I'm no troll buddy. I'm just a minority in a group of low-carbed angry people.
This discussion has been closed.