what do you do to lower your sugar intake?

Options

Replies

• Cilantrocat
    Cilantrocat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It felt very uncomfortable for me when I first lowered my sugar intake during my weight loss faze. I was in a *very* bad mood for several days to a week. After that, I was fine! But I had corrected other aspects of my diet, such as tracking fiber and keeping my intake of protein and fiber high.

I guess I'm saying I cut out excess sugar all at once. And I was grumpy for several days, headache included.

Oh jeeze! Power to you! Thanks for the tip.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So this thread has been going for 5 days now

I've got to ask, how's your sugar consumption?
  • melissalatzel25
    melissalatzel25 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    carb the *kitten* up
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    carb the *kitten* up

You're a Vegan which doesn't pertain to the OP whatsoever and you list freelee the fruitcake banana girl and her partner in crime as "inspirations"..... :noway: :confounded:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    My doctor and my grandmother's doctor (two different doctors in two different practices 20 miles apart) each told us that trans fats as well as excess sugar can cause high cholesterol. Mine was high...since I've tried to cut out over processed, high calorie foods, which I'm sure were both sources of trans fats and excess sugar....cholesterol went down 70 pts.

I have no source besides drs. I read somewhere once that excess sugar CAN be a cause, but i don't remember where and don't see much value in hunting for it at this point.

If you want to lower your sugar intake, i agree with try more veggies and even protein sources. Whole grain carbs might help. I'm also not sure, because i never asked, if sugar in fruit causes high cholesterol. You could always talk to a registered dietician and see what they have to say, since their degree is in nutrition.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Haha I think a little better? Not perfect. I've lowered to a tsp of sugar in my coffee with unsweetened almond milk, I put lime and cilantro and avocado for a dressing instead of balsamic or something. I bought more veggies and prepped some last night to eat instead of eating so many bananas or granola junk bars and I snacked on nuts like someone suggested. I actually felt like I was eating MORE today than I usually do for the calories I am consuming.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    My doctor and my grandmother's doctor (two different doctors in two different practices 20 miles apart) each told us that trans fats as well as excess sugar can cause high cholesterol. Mine was high...since I've tried to cut out over processed, high calorie foods, which I'm sure were both sources of trans fats and excess sugar....cholesterol went down 70 pts.

I have no source besides drs. I read somewhere once that excess sugar CAN be a cause, but i don't remember where and don't see much value in hunting for it at this point.

If you want to lower your sugar intake, i agree with try more veggies and even protein sources. Whole grain carbs might help. I'm also not sure, because i never asked, if sugar in fruit causes high cholesterol. You could always talk to a registered dietician and see what they have to say, since their degree is in nutrition.

Thanks for your point of veiw! I'm hoping my numbers will change along with the scale!
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    That's like saying "you know what helped me give up heroin? Learning it was addictive and probably not very good for me. Once I knew that, it became easy to say no."

"It was easy for me to power through the seizures and gut-wrenching diarrhea because I knew my body was detoxing from the heroin and that it was normal to feel like this for a while. Now that I've been heroin-free for two weeks, I don't even crave it anymore!"

-said no one, ever

I think physical withdrawals are different from addiction itself.
    Like how people get headaches etc from not having coffee. Their technically not addicted to the coffee but their body has adjusted to having that level of caffiene constant.
    Although sugar is in no way comparable to heroin or hard drugs I do think food can be addictive but in a different way.
    You're not addicted to the food as much as the happy chemicals it releases in the brain. Sorta like those people that cant stop eating couch cushion or sniffing gas on my strange addiction. Mind over matter I guess.

That's called caffeine addiction and withdrawal.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options

Haha I think a little better? Not perfect. I've lowered to a tsp of sugar in my coffee with unsweetened almond milk, I put lime and cilantro and avocado for a dressing instead of balsamic or something. I bought more veggies and prepped some last night to eat instead of eating so many bananas or granola junk bars and I snacked on nuts like someone suggested. I actually felt like I was eating MORE today than I usually do for the calories I am consuming.

I've also found that to be true when eating relatively fewer prepared commercial products, and more one-ingredient foods I fix myself. Others' mileage may vary, as what makes us satiated seems to differ a lot from person to person.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I actually just kicked my sugar habit, gradually, not all at once. What helped me stop eating sugar was actually doing research on what excess sugar does to the body and how it's as addictive as cocaine. Once I knew more about sugar, it was easier to say no to it. I started by cutting out all non-water beverages except for the occasional unsweetened tea. Then I swapped dessert for fruit. What helped whenever I was craving sugar was making banana ice cream. All it is is frozen bananas blended in a food processor with a splash of almond milk (or milk of choice), along with any flavoring you prefer. I personally like adding a bit of peanut butter, it's delicious! After cutting out desserts I then cut out all the "hidden" sugars of my diet, which includes things like a seemingly healthy can of marinara sauce that actually has 24g of sugar. Lastly, I ate more veggies and less fruit to get rid of even more fruit in my diet.

Good luck, hope this helped!

The idea that sugar is as addictive as cocaine and the fact that you were able to quit without medical intervention or even some sort of support group are diametrically opposed to one another.

I've dealt with addicts. The claim that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine makes me angry.
    I've never seen anyone desperate enough for a sugar fix that they were willing to sell their body to strangers, steal or abandon their children for a hit.

I think this is a case in which people entirely mis-interpret scientific findings. 1) It has been shown that sugar lights up the dopamine receptors, like in drug abuse (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16460879). 2)It has been shown to cause dependency (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/). 3)Sugar has also been shown to becoming a behavior motivator (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12488799) - leading people to eat more sugar.

This article abstract about the sugar/drug analogy I find particularly interesting: http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2013/07000/Sugar_addiction___pushing_the_drug_sugar_analogy.11.aspx

I agree - the analogy may seem to denigrate or belittle the incredible work that people who quit hard drugs do. So perhaps it is a question of degree (not kind) and accessibility, and ease of initiating addiction. Sure, withdrawal may not be as bad with sugar, but the neural pathways are the same. The problem is, sugar isn't nearly as regulated/expensive/hard-to-get/frowned-upon as hard drugs. We feed it to our children in their bottles (apple juice, etc), and start their days off with it (most childrens' cereals). People can barely drink water, tea, coffee, or any drink without wanting it to taste 'sweet!' I'd say, it's an issue to be aware of.

1) so does everything from kissing to music to running. Release of dopamine is not an indicator of addictive capability.
    2) a study where rats are given sugar water in excessive amounts while fasted and then the rats binge on the sugar water hardly demonstrates that sugar causes dependency even in rats, let alone humans.
    3) a study that demonstrates that rats prefer sucrose with their food does not indicate that sugar can alter behavior in humans or lead humans to eat more sugar.

Consider this: people eat sugar because it tastes good which makes them happy. They find foods with added sugar more appealing, thus it is added frequently by manufacturers, because that's what their palates are acclimated too.
    It has nothing to do with addiction or dependency or no one would be able to just quit without withdrawals or assistance.

All of that. I'm not aware of any study done in humans that showed any dependency issues.

Rats, while very intelligent compared to their size, are after all still mostly directed by instinct. I'd hope we are not, and instead able to make decisions despite our inner lazy butt telling us to shove more food into us because it's so delicious.
    And the one link even said the rats who were binging on sugar water reduced total calorie intake from the other source to not get fat. They were just eating what tasted better. Sugar water vs. probably some brown pellets.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I actually just kicked my sugar habit, gradually, not all at once. What helped me stop eating sugar was actually doing research on what excess sugar does to the body and how it's as addictive as cocaine. Once I knew more about sugar, it was easier to say no to it. I started by cutting out all non-water beverages except for the occasional unsweetened tea. Then I swapped dessert for fruit. What helped whenever I was craving sugar was making banana ice cream. All it is is frozen bananas blended in a food processor with a splash of almond milk (or milk of choice), along with any flavoring you prefer. I personally like adding a bit of peanut butter, it's delicious! After cutting out desserts I then cut out all the "hidden" sugars of my diet, which includes things like a seemingly healthy can of marinara sauce that actually has 24g of sugar. Lastly, I ate more veggies and less fruit to get rid of even more fruit in my diet.

The idea that sugar is as addictive as cocaine and the fact that you were able to quit without medical intervention or even some sort of support group are diametrically opposed to one another.

I've dealt with addicts. The claim that sugar is just as addictive as cocaine makes me angry.
    I've never seen anyone desperate enough for a sugar fix that they were willing to sell their body to strangers, steal or abandon their children for a hit.

I think this is a case in which people entirely mis-interpret scientific findings. 1) It has been shown that sugar lights up the dopamine receptors, like in drug abuse (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16460879). 2)It has been shown to cause dependency (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/). 3)Sugar has also been shown to becoming a behavior motivator (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12488799) - leading people to eat more sugar.

This article abstract about the sugar/drug analogy I find particularly interesting: http://journals.lww.com/co-clinicalnutrition/Abstract/2013/07000/Sugar_addiction___pushing_the_drug_sugar_analogy.11.aspx

I agree - the analogy may seem to denigrate or belittle the incredible work that people who quit hard drugs do. So perhaps it is a question of degree (not kind) and accessibility, and ease of initiating addiction. Sure, withdrawal may not be as bad with sugar, but the neural pathways are the same. The problem is, sugar isn't nearly as regulated/expensive/hard-to-get/frowned-upon as hard drugs. We feed it to our children in their bottles (apple juice, etc), and start their days off with it (most childrens' cereals). People can barely drink water, tea, coffee, or any drink without wanting it to taste 'sweet!' I'd say, it's an issue to be aware of.

1) so does everything from kissing to music to running. Release of dopamine is not an indicator of addictive capability.
    2) a study where rats are given sugar water in excessive amounts while fasted and then the rats binge on the sugar water hardly demonstrates that sugar causes dependency even in rats, let alone humans.
    3) a study that demonstrates that rats prefer sucrose with their food does not indicate that sugar can alter behavior in humans or lead humans to eat more sugar.

Consider this: people eat sugar because it tastes good which makes them happy. They find foods with added sugar more appealing, thus it is added frequently by manufacturers, because that's what their palates are acclimated too.
    It has nothing to do with addiction or dependency or no one would be able to just quit without withdrawals or assistance.

All of that. I'm not aware of any study done in humans that showed any dependency issues.

Rats, while very intelligent compared to their size, are after all still mostly directed by instinct. I'd hope we are not, and instead able to make decisions despite our inner lazy butt telling us to shove more food into us because it's so delicious.
    And the one link even said the rats who were binging on sugar water reduced total calorie intake from the other source to not get fat. They were just eating what tasted better. Sugar water vs. probably some brown pellets.

Definitive science right there. Rats prefer sugar to alfalfa so cocaine.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I've also found that to be true when eating relatively fewer prepared commercial products, and more one-ingredient foods I fix myself. Others' mileage may vary, as what makes us satiated seems to differ a lot from person to person.

Yes definitely trying to stay away from pre-packaged items now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    OMG i'm such a sugar-holic. But I've lost 125 lbs and kept it off (mostly w/in 20 lb range) for 8 years.

First of all, there are many things I had to learn that have more sugar than you'd imagine:
    • Yogurt that isn't plain
    • Ketchup
    • Salad dressings (sometimes...especially the 'fat free' ones - make your own)
    • Wine & beer
    • Almost ANYTHING "lowfat" or "nonfat" (then conversely, many "sugar free" things are packed with carbs)
    • Some brands of peanut butter (go all-natural!)
    • BBQ sauce
    • Protein bars
    • Most non-dairy milk
    • Chinese food (most)
    • Dried cranberries (really any dried fruit, but dried cranberries have a CRAP ton)
    • Energy drinks (and soda, of course)
    • Pasta sauce (sad but mostly true)
    • Granola (HOLY COW, SO MUCH SUGAR!)
    • Store-bought cole slaw
    • FRUIT JUICE - this stuff is often just as bad as soda and we give it to our kids & it rots their teeth.

Second, you can get nutrients from things other than fruit. Go, veggies!

Third, if my sweet tooth gets out of hand, I do a 5-10 day no-added-sugar extravaganza.
    Basically, I "re-set" my tastebuds & body (totally scientific term here, guys) so that I don't crave sugar anymore. It's amazing how well it works. My general rules are NO artificial sweetener, NO sweetener in tea or coffee, NO juice, soda, wine, beer, LOW or NONE of most of the items listed above. I might have a couple raisins every other evening so I get a bit of sweetness. I highly recommend it :) It certainly won't hurt - and at the very least you'll see how much your habits are based around high-sugar things, if you have to think twice about it!

As I have been recently paying more attention to my sugar I noticed... like you with the cranberries,
    what the heck is the point of adding sugar to dried fruit?! Why do they do that to us.
    I might try your sugar reset. Someone else suggested a 30 day similar plan.

I take it you've never had a plain fresh cranberry straight from the bag (or bog)? They are incredibly tart.
  • kshama2001
    Options

Lots of people addicted to alcohol, nicotine, and heroin quit without medical intervention. I have a friend who was a heroin addict for 28 years who is one of them.
  • kshama2001
    Options

I think this is a case in which people entirely mis-interpret scientific findings. It has been shown that sugar lights up the dopamine receptors, like in every single thing that people find enjoyable, also in rats only (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16460879). It has been shown to cause dependency in rats placed in a cycle of getting nothing at all or nothing but sugarwater with their food on a daily basis(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/). Sugar has also been shown to becoming a behavior motivator (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12488799) - leading rats to eat more sugar.

Fixed that.
    And sugar is not an addictive substance. There is no withdrawal symptoms from it because your body does not become physically dependent on it which is the requirement of getting physical withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you become mentally addicted not physically addicted. Exactly as stated. It's different...but there are withdrawals of a different sort. I think you have an ax to grind, though, so imma let you do your thing. I think it's more complicated, and I partially agree with your point.

Can you elaborate? Addiction, as I understand it, *is* a physical process. You seem to be using the word in another way.

@Mapalicious is probably referring to Behavioral addiction. Think gambling, shopping, sex, etc.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I think this is a case in which people entirely mis-interpret scientific findings. It has been shown that sugar lights up the dopamine receptors, like in every single thing that people find enjoyable, also in rats only (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16460879). It has been shown to cause dependency in rats placed in a cycle of getting nothing at all or nothing but sugarwater with their food on a daily basis(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/). Sugar has also been shown to becoming a behavior motivator (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12488799) - leading rats to eat more sugar.

Fixed that.
    And sugar is not an addictive substance. There is no withdrawal symptoms from it because your body does not become physically dependent on it which is the requirement of getting physical withdrawal symptoms.

Yes, you become mentally addicted not physically addicted. Exactly as stated. It's different...but there are withdrawals of a different sort. I think you have an ax to grind, though, so imma let you do your thing. I think it's more complicated, and I partially agree with your point.

Can you elaborate? Addiction, as I understand it, *is* a physical process. You seem to be using the word in another way.

@Mapalicious is probably referring to Behavioral addiction. Think gambling, shopping, sex, etc.

Yes , I think Behavioral addiction is a much better way to describe it.
    For example I have been having dessert after dinner for years, I now just automatically want something sweet straight after dinner. It's not that I'm addicted to sugar or even craving it, it's just what I've conditioned my brain to expect maybe..
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Lots of people addicted to alcohol, nicotine, and heroin quit without medical intervention. I have a friend who was a heroin addict for 28 years who is one of them.

On their own without so much as a support group?
    If so, your friend is one in a million.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

Fixed that.

For example I have been having dessert after dinner for years, I now just automatically want something sweet straight after dinner. It's not that I'm addicted to sugar or even craving it, it's just what I've conditioned my brain to expect maybe..

Yeah, I think this is a huge part of it -- I had the same experience, where I conditioned myself to want to eat in certain conditions or certain times, and breaking that habit was the initial struggle I had to go through (and sometimes still struggle with). I don't think this is what a behavioral addiction is, but it's something that can pose a challenge, especially at first, and that's why I always say to think about the context of when you feel like going off plan or overeat.

I saw an interview with a morbidly obese woman on a British obesity show (of course the woman was in the US South somewhere), and she was talking about how she knew that her weight was killing her and had many specific issues and could hardly move, etc., and yet ate enormous amounts of "junk" food and pop per day (not just sugary things). When asked why she didn't stop, she said that without her foods she couldn't image life being worth living -- they were what her life was really centered around. That, to me, was an eating addiction, and really like a form of death in life -- nothing else matters any more (which is why addicts are typically self-centered and untrustworthy). It was terribly sad.
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    OMG i'm such a sugar-holic. But I've lost 125 lbs and kept it off (mostly w/in 20 lb range) for 8 years.

First of all, there are many things I had to learn that have more sugar than you'd imagine:
    • Yogurt that isn't plain
    • Ketchup
    • Salad dressings (sometimes...especially the 'fat free' ones - make your own)
    • Wine & beer
    • Almost ANYTHING "lowfat" or "nonfat" (then conversely, many "sugar free" things are packed with carbs)
    • Some brands of peanut butter (go all-natural!)
    • BBQ sauce
    • Protein bars
    • Most non-dairy milk
    • Chinese food (most)
    • Dried cranberries (really any dried fruit, but dried cranberries have a CRAP ton)
    • Energy drinks (and soda, of course)
    • Pasta sauce (sad but mostly true)
    • Granola (HOLY COW, SO MUCH SUGAR!)
    • Store-bought cole slaw
    • FRUIT JUICE - this stuff is often just as bad as soda and we give it to our kids & it rots their teeth.

Second, you can get nutrients from things other than fruit. Go, veggies!

Third, if my sweet tooth gets out of hand, I do a 5-10 day no-added-sugar extravaganza.
    Basically, I "re-set" my tastebuds & body (totally scientific term here, guys) so that I don't crave sugar anymore. It's amazing how well it works. My general rules are NO artificial sweetener, NO sweetener in tea or coffee, NO juice, soda, wine, beer, LOW or NONE of most of the items listed above. I might have a couple raisins every other evening so I get a bit of sweetness. I highly recommend it :) It certainly won't hurt - and at the very least you'll see how much your habits are based around high-sugar things, if you have to think twice about it!

As I have been recently paying more attention to my sugar I noticed... like you with the cranberries,
    what the heck is the point of adding sugar to dried fruit?! Why do they do that to us.
    I might try your sugar reset. Someone else suggested a 30 day similar plan.

I take it you've never had a plain fresh cranberry straight from the bag (or bog)? They are incredibly tart.

Funny you should say that I actually live directly across the street from a bog, so yes I have had them "straight from the bog".
  • Cilantrocat
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Fixed that.

Yeah, I think this is a huge part of it -- I had the same experience, where I conditioned myself to want to eat in certain conditions or certain times, and breaking that habit was the initial struggle I had to go through (and sometimes still struggle with). I don't think this is what a behavioral addiction is, but it's something that can pose a challenge, especially at first, and that's why I always say to think about the context of when you feel like going off plan or overeat.

I saw an interview with a morbidly obese woman on a British obesity show (of course the woman was in the US South somewhere), and she was talking about how she knew that her weight was killing her and had many specific issues and could hardly move, etc., and yet ate enormous amounts of "junk" food and pop per day (not just sugary things). When asked why she didn't stop, she said that without her foods she couldn't image life being worth living -- they were what her life was really centered around. That, to me, was an eating addiction, and really like a form of death in life -- nothing else matters any more (which is why addicts are typically self-centered and untrustworthy). It was terribly sad.

That is terribly sad. I can't imagine it getting to that point... I have seen similar shows where they have small kids and still their will is too weak to stop eating the junk stuff in so much excess and get healthy.
    I just dont want to be like that. My aunt weighs 450+ lbs and doesnt leave her house really and I just dont want to head that way. I already dont do a lot of things I used to because of being over weight. Thats why I want to change my sugar intake habit