Diet pills from the doctor

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

It's not all about clean eating. It's calorie control, how you get there is up to you, but to say it's all about clean eating is false.

Now tell me why that is false?? Do you know what clean eating is?? Clean eating is choosing foods with less carbs and less calories... Healthy fruits and veggies... That is clean eating.. You read labels on the "healthy" foods?? May be low calories but loaded with carbs!!! So not everything that is LOW calories is good for you...

Not true... Carbs aren't bad...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options

It's not all about clean eating. It's calorie control, how you get there is up to you, but to say it's all about clean eating is false.

Now tell me why that is false?? Do you know what clean eating is?? Clean eating is choosing foods with less carbs and less calories... Healthy fruits and veggies... That is clean eating.. You read labels on the "healthy" foods?? May be low calories but loaded with carbs!!! So not everything that is LOW calories is good for you...

Clean eating has no consensus of definition...nice to hear yours

Healthy fruit and vegetables ...brilliant ...unless of course they tip you over your calorie limit ..which can happen ...a large apple is over 100 calories for instance

Healthy proteins and fats ...the only two macros that have true minimums to achieve, and in the absence of medical conditions, few maximums beyond your calorie limit

Carbs aren't the enemy ..they are nutritious, tasty and filling..great energy source and adequate consumption keeps your natural glycogen levels / water levels a bit more stable ...up to your calorie limit and subject to taste of course

..also toast :)

• singingflutelady
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are loaded in carbs and "clean eating" is about eating unprocessed foods not low carb and low calorie. Clean eating isn't necessary. A calorie deficit is.

So much misinformation.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    And b12 shots are usually give for b12 deficiency caused by a bad diet unless you have a stomach/ small intestine disease like Crohn's, cancer or an infection.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are loaded in carbs and "clean eating" is about eating unprocessed foods not low carb and low calorie. Clean eating isn't necessary. A calorie deficit is.

So much misinformation.

Agreed. Look at people who go on junk food diets. They eat unhealthily but can lose weight still because of the calorie deficit.

As for the OP, she probably has lost a good bit of water weight so I would wait to see her rate of loss in the next few months before saying she's losing too quickly. The more you need to lose, the faster it comes off initially.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    bmwny1 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I just started my weight loss program set up by my doctor and I am taking adapex and weekly b12 shots. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have exercised more than before. I have only been on the diet for 9 days and I've lost 7.5 lbs. I know that is a lot for one week. Doing a 1200 calorie diet. My question is for people who have done similar programs. Once you stop taking the pills/shots after 6 months were you successful in keeping the weight off?

You won't find much support for weight loss drugs on this forum, but I am all for any tool that you & your doctor think may help you. You can be as successful as you want to be. Your long term success with this program is up to you. If you learn to make better eating choices & come up with plan that you can sustain long term then you will be successful.

My current doctor is all about low carb/Keto eating. I know that I won't stick to that plan long term, so while that could be great for her & others, it's not great for me. It's all about eating in a calorie deficit whether you are taking a pill to help you in the beginning or not.

Use this time while hunger is not a driving factor in making eating decisions to really think about your meals & what you like and come up with a plan that is sustainable for you & you can be successful. Pick your goal weight & calculate the number of calories that you will be eating at maintenance (this is an estimate) & start planning out menus that you will stick to in real life--not some fantasy life where you are a completely different person who has changed every basic thing about yourself. Everyone starts weightloss out with great intentions, it's keeping up with it in the long run that makes it so hard. It's even harder if you are not being yourself. Calculate your maintenance calories as a sedentary person. That way you are always eating the right amount even if you don't exercise--exercise will just be a bonus then & the lack of it won't have you overeating.

There is nothing wrong with needing help with weight loss as long as you are willing to see it as a tool & not the be all end all miracle.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OP, it's not uncommon to see great weight loss over the first few weeks. In many cases it's driven by reductions in glycogen from less carbs, reduction in sodium content (more water weight) and reductions in the volume of food in your GI tract from eating less.

Personally, I would never advise 1200 calories for a young and active person. My goal is to maintain as much muscle as possible during a cut (weight loss), as muscle is the biggest driver for things like metabolism and how good you look naked.

Overall, the problem most of us have with pills is it doesn't teach you how to eat long term as it falsely suppresses your appetite. Once the pills become ineffective in a month or two, it might make things more difficult.
  • Q_Is_Poison
    Q_Is_Poison Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Phentermine will fail you as it has failed everyone else. It elevates your metabolism by raising your heart rate and your blood pressure. It can and has caused heart failure and renal failure in people. It also is known for causing depression and psychosis. Get off it if you are on it. Simply counting your calories will do the trick and will produce lasting results. Please read my story under my profile to learn more...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Ugh I envy you. I've heard nothing but good things about adipex phentermine but my doctor refuses to let me take it. I don't know what. They just said no way. I want it so badly

keep that doctor!!!!
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    No. Before I knew better I took these pills twice. Lost lots of weight. 100 pounds. Gained it all back. Twice. With an extra 25 pounds. Twice.

Now I'm here making a lifetime change that will lead to success in KEEPING it off.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend and I'll be supportive. Send a message why you are friending me. I've used many forums. Unfortunately the one here is full of people that have nothing better to do than cut other people down. Not for actual help and support. And NEVER post about diet pills here. I've lost over 40 pounds by careful eating, exercising, AND using Phentemine.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    No. Before I knew better I took these pills twice. Lost lots of weight. 100 pounds. Gained it all back. Twice. With an extra 25 pounds. Twice. Now I'm here making a lifetime change that will lead to success in KEEPING it off.

I hear you on gaining it back. What "diet" don't people gain it all back on? Even with diet pills, I still have to be careful to log my food here, get plenty of rest, exercise, and eat good healthy food. I eat a lot of fruit, vegetables, and raw nuts, but that's just the way I do it. Your own way is the best.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Don't do pills. They are unnecessary.
  • LizaMarie78
    LizaMarie78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    No. Before I knew better I took these pills twice. Lost lots of weight. 100 pounds. Gained it all back. Twice. With an extra 25 pounds. Twice.

Now I'm here making a lifetime change that will lead to success in KEEPING it off.

Not good experience either. I took adipex and the B12 shot and I did this kind of program 3 times and every time I gained double. The 1st 2 weeks I lost almost 15 pounds I was so happy yada yada but I lost it because the pill took my appetite away. Yes I was losing weight but because I wasn't eating at all!! (and add the increased heart rate etc.) so I gained it all and more. So it wasn't a good experience for me.

So now here I am so many years later losing weight in a healthier way just counting calories and I have lost 42 pounds and very proud of how far I have come with no crazy diets, pills, etc.

Not telling you not do it but just to be careful!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    bmwny1 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I just started my weight loss program set up by my doctor and I am taking adapex and weekly b12 shots. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have exercised more than before. I have only been on the diet for 9 days and I've lost 7.5 lbs. I know that is a lot for one week. Doing a 1200 calorie diet. My question is for people who have done similar programs. Once you stop taking the pills/shots after 6 months were you successful in keeping the weight off?

when you start a "diet", especially one enhanced with medication, there is often a large initial weight loss. Much of that is due to fluid shifts as the body adjusts to the substantial changes. It can be psychologically rewarding to see that scale number decrease, but that rate will likely not last and it doesn't mean much positive or negative right now.

As for your second question, 90%-95% of people who lose weight via radical diets/pills regain the lost weight within two years. These methods can be initially successful. Unfortunately, it can be pretty devasting to lose all the weight, get all the compliments, and then watch it all come back. I've seen it happen with more than one person who took phentermine and I would never, ever work with anyone again who was following that regimen.

Although the historical numbers are pretty dismal, hypothetically, it should be possible to institute effective lifestyle changes to keep the weight off. The biggest problem can be seen in your choice of words. "Losing weight" is not a temporary activity. You don't just "lose weight" and then go back to a "normal" life. This is what tends to trip all of us up. Over time, the same stressors, activities, behaviors, relationships, etc that contributed to the weight gain in the first place exert their influence and we slip back into old habits.

It sounds like you have committed to this routine, so I won't try to talk you out of it. All I can say is start making permanent lifestyle changes now. Instead of focusing on a 1200 calorie "diet", work on creating a lifestyle you can follow for a lifetime. And be prepared for the fact that when you stop the medication, your body is going to through a readjustment and you will likely start gaining back some weight. That is when vigorous and consistent exercise will start to play a more important.

Good luck.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

This is your own very personal definition of clean.
  • Venom69
    Venom69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been on a similar diet and taking phentermine. I've been on this diet for a month and a half. In that time, there have been days that I don't even take the pill and am able to stick with the diet. I try to think of it as a means to train myself to healthier eating habits.
  • brittellen0717
    brittellen0717 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Join Phentermine Users, its a group on here. Very slow but it's a good place to meet people that are supportive. Also add me! I just started phentermine.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    If phentermine works in the long term for people then I'm not going to judge. I tried it and I nearly lost my mind and my marriage...
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I used adipex and gained it all back when stopping, because essentially you are starving yourself. They give that drug for people who have to get major surgeries so they don't have an appitite. Watch for high bp because that is known for that drug, and heart valve issues.