Options

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    bmwny1 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I just started my weight loss program set up by my doctor and I am taking adapex and weekly b12 shots. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have exercised more than before. I have only been on the diet for 9 days and I've lost 7.5 lbs. I know that is a lot for one week. Doing a 1200 calorie diet. My question is for people who have done similar programs. Once you stop taking the pills/shots after 6 months were you successful in keeping the weight off?

Nope! Been there, done that.

Lifestyle changes help you keep the weight off. My guess is 1200 is a pretty drastic cut for you. This can also lead to gaining the weight back.

A moderate deficit would be more like your future maintenance, and give you a better chance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Add me as a friend and I'll be supportive. Send a message why you are friending me. I've used many forums. Unfortunately the one here is full of people that have nothing better to do than cut other people down. Not for actual help and support. And NEVER post about diet pills here. I've lost over 40 pounds by careful eating, exercising, AND using Phentemine.

Did you ever stop and think that the "careful eating and exercising" are what is helping you lose weight?

I have lost 40 lbs. I have been careful with my calorie intake and I exercise. No pills. So, how have the pills given you that "extra edge" over someone like me who has not taken a pill?!?

I also do not agree that people here "cut down other people". People here are passionate about what they are doing and want to share that information. Unfortunately, the media and diet industry have made it so that people believe you have to go low carb, take pills, drink shakes, or detox to be able to lose weight.

FWIW, my sister took weight loss pills to help her lose weight. She lost quite a bit of weight. However the pills became less effective so she had to go off of them. She gained all the weight back, plus and extra amount of weight.

It amazes me that people try to be careful about what they are putting into their bodies when it comes to food, but will take a pill that has known side effects that could do permanent damage.
  • Adah_m
    Adah_m Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Ugh I envy you. I've heard nothing but good things about adipex phentermine but my doctor refuses to let me take it. I don't know what. They just said no way. I want it so badly

Here's the thing- a GP won't give you phentermine because they're convinced it's not good for you. I had to go to a weight loss clinic where a doctor there prescribed it for me. Check groupon in your area and look for weight loss clinics and call them to see if they prescribe phentermine. Mine is prescribed through medi-quick weight loss centers and honestly, I haven't told my GP I'm on it, simply because people who don't have a serious issue with weight (mentally, and physically) tend to ridicule or shame people who need extra help getting it off. They say "just work harder, you don't need pills." That mindset is really frustrating. Some people do need the help at first. But that's all it is- help. It gets you going in the right direction but if you don't take off on your own when you stop the pills you'll fall back into old habits.

I'll tell you what it does for me.
    1. It helped me re-learn what physiological hunger feels like, but curbed the pain of it. (I know I'm weird but when I first started letting myself actually get hungry between meals, it hurt. Headaches, aches and pains, et cetera.) Once I spent a few months re-learning how to feel hunger, that went away.
    2. Leptin resistance- if you are very overweight and have been for a long time your hunger hormones might be misfiring. You get immune to the hormone that tells you you're full. After a few months on phentermine, this resolved for me and stayed resolved after I stopped taking it.
    3. You learn portion control. I used to want to eat 3-5 servings of everything I ate. Phentermine curbs the "hungry all the time" feeling so I only serve myself a proper amount and I'm satisfied. After a few months of that, I knew what amount was healthy on the plate and what wasn't.
    4. I had the energy to exercise. If you are very overweight and/or struggle with depression (and the two often go hand in hand) it's likely that going out and exercising is 10 times the mental battle that it should be and very difficult physically because you're constantly battling fatigue. Phentermine gave me the boost I needed to get back in the gym and regain my focus. Over time, exercise and weight loss helped the depression and gave me more energy on my own- so I kept it up even when I stopped phentermine.

Now here's the reality- if you take phentermine to curb your appetite and you don't use it as an honest opportunity to re-learn how to eat, what to eat, how to exercise, and how much to exercise, you will lose weight because you'll cut calories just from lack of appetite- but you will gain it all back later because the only thing making you lose weight was the phentermine. If you use it as a kickstarter, however, and keep up the healthy habits after the phentermine, the weight will NOT come back. It is not possible, scientifically, for the weight to come back, unless you start overeating again when you get off the pills. Keep eating at maintenance or a deficit and you will keep the weight off. However, if you have a mental health issue/emotional issue/eating disorder (like compulsive or binge eating disorder) phentermine might not help. You may need behavioral therapy and anti-depressants. (Phentermine can act like an anti-depressant for many people, but when they stop taking it the symptoms come back.)

P.S. contrary to what everyone is saying, 7.5 lbs in the first week on phentermine is no big deal. I lost 10 in my first week. It's not fat loss because it's not possible to lose that much fat unless you created a 26,250 calorie deficit, and I promise you, you didn't. It's mostly water weight and inflammation going down. You probably lost 2-3 lbs of fat, which is perfectly healthy. 1200 calories/day is also completely fine if you are getting adequate nutrition. Are you taking multivitamins? Are you getting enough protein and fats? Are you eating veggies? Unless you're eating 1200 calories of cheeseburgers only, you're fine. When you're being monitored by your doctor, all that matters is that you're getting your nutrition and that you feel fine. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. If you're nervous about losing too much too fast, get your body composition measured and pay attention to the ratio of fat/muscle you're losing.

Lastly- don't let a single person shame you for taking phentermine. It's fine. Just do it responsibly and use it for the opportunity to rehabilitate your old lifestyle. It has to be a lasting change, even when you stop the pills.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    bmwny1 wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I just started my weight loss program set up by my doctor and I am taking adapex and weekly b12 shots. I have drastically changed my eating habits and have exercised more than before. I have only been on the diet for 9 days and I've lost 7.5 lbs. I know that is a lot for one week. Doing a 1200 calorie diet. My question is for people who have done similar programs. Once you stop taking the pills/shots after 6 months were you successful in keeping the weight off?

My mom was on a similar program and was taking adapex. Completely changed her diet and started exercising. It worked for her, she lost quite a bit of weight. However, after she was on it for a while, she had to stop taking it because her body "got used to it" and it stopped working. Her nutritionist said that it was common for that drug. She has since gained all the weight back. She recently started taking it again, however, this time she hasn't changed her bad eating habits or been exercising and she hasn't lost any weight at all. So personally, I wonder if she ever even needed it. But I have never been one to want to take drugs to lose weight. I know that I am capable of doing it without them. I am sure there are plenty of people that it is necessary for, so I hope that doesn't sound judgmental, because I certainly don't mean for it to! Anyway, good luck!
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.

I have mitral valve regurgitation and I did have to have open heart surgery. I never took a single diet drug--mine was caused by something else. Take it from someone who has been there--no amount of pounds lost are worth what a destroyed heart valve and the subsequent surgery will put you through.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

BUT...

I have mitral valve regurgitation and I did have to have open heart surgery. I never took a single diet drug--mine was caused by something else. Take it from someone who has been there--no amount of pounds lost are worth what a destroyed heart valve and the subsequent surgery will put you through.

@keepupwithjack - what were your symptoms? I took Phen/Fen in the 90s and sometimes get a little heart flutter at night when I'm lying down, but none of the other symptoms here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mitral-valve-regurgitation/symptoms-causes/dxc-20121850
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Adah_m wrote: »
    Ugh I envy you. I've heard nothing but good things about adipex phentermine but my doctor refuses to let me take it. I don't know what. They just said no way. I want it so badly

Here's the thing- a GP won't give you phentermine because they're convinced it's not good for you. I had to go to a weight loss clinic where a doctor there prescribed it for me. Check groupon in your area and look for weight loss clinics

[snip]

The term "weight loss clinic" makes me cringe worse than "garcinia cambogia."
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Remember: THESE ARE TOOLS. If you do not make permanent change, these things will do NOTHING in the end.

I lost 70lbs on my own. I started gaining late last year, got back up to 200lbs. My GP prescribed Phentermine to get me back on track and get my *kitten* moving again. This is the 2nd month I have been on it. With the Wellbutrin I was taking already for my anxiety, the emotional eating is VERY hard to do. I have binged here and there, but it has never surpassed 2800 since starting the Phentermine.

I am listening to my body more. I am able to think about my choices more because I don't feel the need to stuff my face at the slightest hint of hunger. I can't drink Monsters anymore, but that's not really a bad thing.

If you keep what you learn, it's not in vain. Nothing is a quick fix.
  • keepupwithjack
    keepupwithjack Posts: 44 Member
    Options

BUT...

@keepupwithjack - what were your symptoms? I took Phen/Fen in the 90s and sometimes get a little heart flutter at night when I'm lying down, but none of the other symptoms here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mitral-valve-regurgitation/symptoms-causes/dxc-20121850

My main symptom was shortness of breath. I was having trouble with even a single flight of stairs. I had the fluttering you described too. You should have a cardiac exam.
  • babymamab
    babymamab Posts: 3 Member
    Options

BUT...

How did you find out?
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Adah_m wrote: »

Here's the thing- a GP won't give you phentermine because they're convinced it's not good for you. I had to go to a weight loss clinic where a doctor there prescribed it for me. Check groupon in your area and look for weight loss clinics and call them to see if they prescribe phentermine. Mine is prescribed through medi-quick weight loss centers and honestly, I haven't told my GP I'm on it, simply because people who don't have a serious issue with weight (mentally, and physically) tend to ridicule or shame people who need extra help getting it off. They say "just work harder, you don't need pills." That mindset is really frustrating. Some people do need the help at first. But that's all it is- help. It gets you going in the right direction but if you don't take off on your own when you stop the pills you'll fall back into old habits.

I'll tell you what it does for me.
    1. It helped me re-learn what physiological hunger feels like, but curbed the pain of it. (I know I'm weird but when I first started letting myself actually get hungry between meals, it hurt. Headaches, aches and pains, et cetera.) Once I spent a few months re-learning how to feel hunger, that went away.
    2. Leptin resistance- if you are very overweight and have been for a long time your hunger hormones might be misfiring. You get immune to the hormone that tells you you're full. After a few months on phentermine, this resolved for me and stayed resolved after I stopped taking it.
    3. You learn portion control. I used to want to eat 3-5 servings of everything I ate. Phentermine curbs the "hungry all the time" feeling so I only serve myself a proper amount and I'm satisfied. After a few months of that, I knew what amount was healthy on the plate and what wasn't.
    4. I had the energy to exercise. If you are very overweight and/or struggle with depression (and the two often go hand in hand) it's likely that going out and exercising is 10 times the mental battle that it should be and very difficult physically because you're constantly battling fatigue. Phentermine gave me the boost I needed to get back in the gym and regain my focus. Over time, exercise and weight loss helped the depression and gave me more energy on my own- so I kept it up even when I stopped phentermine.

Now here's the reality- if you take phentermine to curb your appetite and you don't use it as an honest opportunity to re-learn how to eat, what to eat, how to exercise, and how much to exercise, you will lose weight because you'll cut calories just from lack of appetite- but you will gain it all back later because the only thing making you lose weight was the phentermine. If you use it as a kickstarter, however, and keep up the healthy habits after the phentermine, the weight will NOT come back. It is not possible, scientifically, for the weight to come back, unless you start overeating again when you get off the pills. Keep eating at maintenance or a deficit and you will keep the weight off. However, if you have a mental health issue/emotional issue/eating disorder (like compulsive or binge eating disorder) phentermine might not help. You may need behavioral therapy and anti-depressants. (Phentermine can act like an anti-depressant for many people, but when they stop taking it the symptoms come back.)

P.S. contrary to what everyone is saying, 7.5 lbs in the first week on phentermine is no big deal. I lost 10 in my first week. It's not fat loss because it's not possible to lose that much fat unless you created a 26,250 calorie deficit, and I promise you, you didn't. It's mostly water weight and inflammation going down. You probably lost 2-3 lbs of fat, which is perfectly healthy. 1200 calories/day is also completely fine if you are getting adequate nutrition. Are you taking multivitamins? Are you getting enough protein and fats? Are you eating veggies? Unless you're eating 1200 calories of cheeseburgers only, you're fine. When you're being monitored by your doctor, all that matters is that you're getting your nutrition and that you feel fine. Listen to your body and you'll be fine. If you're nervous about losing too much too fast, get your body composition measured and pay attention to the ratio of fat/muscle you're losing.

Lastly- don't let a single person shame you for taking phentermine. It's fine. Just do it responsibly and use it for the opportunity to rehabilitate your old lifestyle. It has to be a lasting change, even when you stop the pills.

Wow- your post kind of reminded me of the laundry list of side effects that are quietly rambled through on medication commercials.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Junebuggyzy Posts: 345 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    Add me as a friend and I'll be supportive. Send a message why you are friending me. I've used many forums. Unfortunately the one here is full of people that have nothing better to do than cut other people down. Not for actual help and support. And NEVER post about diet pills here. I've lost over 40 pounds by careful eating, exercising, AND using Phentemine.

Did you ever stop and think that the "careful eating and exercising" are what is helping you lose weight?

I have lost 40 lbs. I have been careful with my calorie intake and I exercise. No pills. So, how have the pills given you that "extra edge" over someone like me who has not taken a pill?!?

I also do not agree that people here "cut down other people". People here are passionate about what they are doing and want to share that information. Unfortunately, the media and diet industry have made it so that people believe you have to go low carb, take pills, drink shakes, or detox to be able to lose weight.

FWIW, my sister took weight loss pills to help her lose weight. She lost quite a bit of weight. However the pills became less effective so she had to go off of them. She gained all the weight back, plus and extra amount of weight.

It amazes me that people try to be careful about what they are putting into their bodies when it comes to food, but will take a pill that has known side effects that could do permanent damage.

Yes - It definitely IS diet and exercise and not drinking wine that helps me. Phentermine may be a psychological crutch for me. I can be happy not drinking when I am taking Phen. My brain knows drinking a lot of wine is going to make me gain weight. For some reason, when I take Phentermine I can do without wine. I know I can't even have one glass of wine, or it is all over for me. If I have one glass, the rest of the bottle calls to me to finish it. So I don't drink at all if I want to lose weight.

I am losing an average of a half a pound a week. I am happy with that. My doctor is happy with that too.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    About regaining weight. How many times have you seen Oprah lose a lot of weight? Only to gain it back again.

How many times have you gone on a "diet" and gained it all back again? And then some.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

It's not all about clean eating. It's calorie control, how you get there is up to you, but to say it's all about clean eating is false.

Now tell me why that is false?? Do you know what clean eating is?? Clean eating is choosing foods with less carbs and less calories... Healthy fruits and veggies... That is clean eating.. You read labels on the "healthy" foods?? May be low calories but loaded with carbs!!! So not everything that is LOW calories is good for you...

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. Posting ridiculous claims about "clean eating" isn't helpful, and can be actively harmful.
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    Yes, I do lose a lot of weight the first couple of weeks. Probably water weight. It is very motivating. It tapers off after that!

I re-started Phentermine three months ago. Here are my stats.

1st month - 8 pounds
    2nd month - 4 pounds
    3rd month - 2 pounds
  • Junebuggyzy
    Options
    xmichaelyx wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »

It's not all about clean eating. It's calorie control, how you get there is up to you, but to say it's all about clean eating is false.

Now tell me why that is false?? Do you know what clean eating is?? Clean eating is choosing foods with less carbs and less calories... Healthy fruits and veggies... That is clean eating.. You read labels on the "healthy" foods?? May be low calories but loaded with carbs!!! So not everything that is LOW calories is good for you...

You can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. Posting ridiculous claims about "clean eating" isn't helpful, and can be actively harmful.

I sort of agree with clean eating. My method is don't eat anything that comes in a box. Except oatmeal.