What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• WiiWiiWii
    WiiWiiWii Posts: 10 Member
    *How cold it gets in the winter.
    *How you'll go down one size in shoes.
    *How men don't avoid eye contact with you anymore.
    *How men and women start holding doors open for you.
    *How people aren't embarrassed to talk to you about a fattening recipe in the grocery store.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    35lbs down and people are already a lot nicer. I'm kinda afraid how 100lbs is going to feel like socially. Culture shock?

I can now borrow clothing from 'normal' weight friends. :)
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Unless peoople call me a nasty, stupid, *kitten* I take their commnets positively. If they say that I look like I don't need to loose any weight I say thank you.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »

Your winter coat is now more like a small pup tent. You could fit another person with you in there if you had to in a pinch.

Ha! I donated my size 24 tent and I just bought a beautiful, size 12, leather jacket at the thrift store for $6.50.

I'll have to remember to look for my coat in the camping supply section!
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    bri170lb wrote: »
    BoogeyBrat wrote: »

Your winter coat is now more like a small pup tent. You could fit another person with you in there if you had to in a pinch.

Ha! I donated my size 24 tent and I just bought a beautiful, size 12, leather jacket at the thrift store for $6.50.

I'll have to remember to look for my coat in the camping supply section!

I hear that- my coat was not keeping me warm anymore as it was more like wearing a balloon or something. So I looked for a new one last weekend because this time of year they are on clearance anyway. Found a style I liked and saw that they only have large or small. I didn't think a small would fit but it did. A small- what? Plus it was 70% off. Win.
  • NancyWilper
    NancyWilper Posts: 4 Member
    -You will discover bones you forgot (or never knew) you had.

I have a long way to go this time around, but you reminded me of once years ago, I had reached a 40 pound goal and couldn't figure out what the bumps below my rib cage were. Turns out, I had hip bones. We'd never met.
  • NancyWilper
    NancyWilper Posts: 4 Member
    Something I am looking forward to is clothes shopping. The clothes I buy now are ones I hope will hide myself. The thought that I could actually see something beautiful on the rack and have it fit me is almost unimaginable--almost.
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Courage! People will eventually notice, but it may take a lot longer than you expect.
    But tell us and we'll cheer for you. Friend me and i'll see your achievements and cheer. I lost 30 or 40 lbs over one summer and expected people in the chorus i sing in to n9tice - after all, it was septrmber ahnc they hadnt seen me since June. Didnt happen. But a fewf months further on, i got lots of compliments.
    Dont give up! You can do it. Do it for yourself.
    Me, im almost 64. Started losing in 2013. Just in the last month or two found myself running places (okay, still really short distances) just because i can. I'd never have expected that, or believed it might happen.
  • JanetMMcC
    I've come to the conclusion that I need constant reinforcement from people saying I look thinner or I get discouraged. I've lost 15lbs and not a word from anyone.

My above msg is for you. ☺
  • JanetMMcC
    Something I am looking forward to is clothes shopping. The clothes I buy now are ones I hope will hide myself. The thought that I could actually see something beautiful on the rack and have it fit me is almost unimaginable--almost.

It will happen. Not without time and work, but it will happen.

Me, i unearth my waist after decades, want belts and tucked in blouses ... and the stores are full of tunics!
  • getrealmommy30
    getrealmommy30 Posts: 28 Member
    this thread is very motivating! Thanks for everyone who is sharing.

I'm yo-yoing a lot with diet, so my weight has not been consistently going down, but I have been working out regularly and even though my weight has not changed dramatically I still can tell that my body shape is changing. I'm also feel more comfortable in my clothes and have a better sex drive.
  • Lose2Cruise2016
    Lose2Cruise2016 Posts: 36 Member
    I've come to the conclusion that I need constant reinforcement from people saying I look thinner or I get discouraged. I've lost 15lbs and not a word from anyone.
    Be patient - I've lost 24 lbs and I'm juuuuust starting to get the occasional comment from people who haven't seen me in a month. And you also should accept that some people in your life aren't ever going to encourage you. Good thing you're doing this for YOU, and not them, right? If you need encouragement, we're here.

• agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    JanetMMcC wrote: »

It will happen. Not without time and work, but it will happen.

Me, i unearth my waist after decades, want belts and tucked in blouses ... and the stores are full of tunics!

I went to a clothing party last night and was just thinking the same thing!

I am finally fitting into size 8 and sometimes size 6 and the clothes are flowing hippy tops and the pants are high waisted "mom" jeans!! And the 80's are back in a big way!!

Oh well since this is a lifestyle change and fashion is cyclical I'll be around for the next style change too! ;-)
  • Thank you to all who have shared! This has been a bit of a roller coaster and gaining back a simple pound this am threw me for a loop!
    I have had chronic stomach problems most of my life. Over-medicated as a child to remedy problems that good nutrition most likely would have solved. As a result, my metabolism and hormones went for a whack the last few years and I gave up on nutrition and exercise. Scared to admit I needed help to start. I started six weeks ago with not a lot to lose (SW 157 - GW 125 - CW 146) but much to gain.

I am saying "Now is the time" for both my health and ability to have a healthy child one day.

Start new each day! Chin up and face forward. Don't look back :)

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!