Why do so many ladies not lift?

Options

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    16golfr wrote: »
    Females are odd at the gym... 80% of them cardio/abs..maybe pickup a super heavy 5lb dumbbell and lift it 5 times
    10% of them just squat to have a big *kitten*.. the other 10% is a mix of girls "pretending to work out, and girls actually working out"

Don't be intimidated by us males.. most of us are friendly, will move out of your way.. you can ask questions we don't bite we will not grunt at you.. if you do break a sweat, it's not the end of the world.

We can also spot you...

You are projecting.

I squat and do hip thrusts to get strong glutes so I can run faster and jump more explosively in sports. The nice a55 is an extra benefit. I'm not doing it to gain your attention. Oh! And I sometimes use 5lb Dumbbells for wrist and shoulder therapy.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    ---Does 'friendly' = mocking and demeaning?

No, it means friendly...

---edit: I don't think i can respond to this in a civil manner

Okay then, have a feeling a feminist comment is coming up....

Here is the hard truth, because of the lovely media we have.. a STRONGmajority of girls do cardio and abs so they can look like this..
    Awesome Arm Workout = Skinny??

53a0a88c95761_-_cos-01-nina-dobrev-september-2013-cover-de.jpg

Most think that if they pickup a dumbbell, they will look like this..
    even though this would take years and tons of dedication

article-2424291-1BE3E151000005DC-987_634x864.jpg

PROVE ME WRONG

My experience in talking to other women is that the majority do cardio and abs because that is what they know to do, not to look like women on the cover of Cosmo. It's easy to go to a gym and get on a stair stepper or treadmill without having to do much studying up beforehand. Lifting weights, again for most women I know, would be an entirely new activity that takes a bit more time and effort than "walk in, get going." For some of us, it's worth the time/effort to learn about and plan for and, for others it's not, for a wide variety of reasons. Fear of looking extremely muscled/lean has never come up when I've talked to friends about this. It's just different goals, different ways of getting there.

But what do I know. I'm only referring to my own experiences talking with a specific subset of women, rather than generalizing across an entire sex.

stop. You don't want to come across as a "feminist"

Truth. First it's social, economic, and political equality. Next thing you know, we'll be curling in the squat rack.

Can't fit in the squat rack anymore. Butt is too big :(
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options

No, it means friendly...

Here is the hard truth, because of the lovely media we have.. a STRONGmajority of girls do cardio and abs so they can look like this..

PROVE ME WRONG

Or . . .. there are women out there who just aren't interested in lifting. Believe it or not they exist and it has nothing to do with not wanting to "get bulky" (which before you even jump on me I know women can't bulk up without help) but rather it just doesn't interest them.

Oh, and as for the 80% that do cadio/abs: they might lift at home and just use the gym to get their cardio in.
    And those lifting light weight? Unless you see them doing it every single day, month after month etc. -- because yes, they are out there. There are a few at the gym I go to -- then perhaps they're just starting or maybe they injured themselves and they're doing PT for it. The fact of the matter is you're assuming you know why someone is doing something at the gym that you feel isn't what they should be doing.
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

No, it means friendly...

53a0a88c95761_-_cos-01-nina-dobrev-september-2013-cover-de.jpg

article-2424291-1BE3E151000005DC-987_634x864.jpg

PROVE ME WRONG

My experience in talking to other women is that the majority do cardio and abs because that is what they know to do, not to look like women on the cover of Cosmo. It's easy to go to a gym and get on a stair stepper or treadmill without having to do much studying up beforehand. Lifting weights, again for most women I know, would be an entirely new activity that takes a bit more time and effort than "walk in, get going." For some of us, it's worth the time/effort to learn about and plan for and, for others it's not, for a wide variety of reasons. Fear of looking extremely muscled/lean has never come up when I've talked to friends about this. It's just different goals, different ways of getting there.

But what do I know. I'm only referring to my own experiences talking with a specific subset of women, rather than generalizing across an entire sex.

stop. You don't want to come across as a "feminist"

Truth. First it's social, economic, and political equality. Next thing you know, we'll be curling in the squat rack.

That is just crossing the line there. That is man territory and only man territory :wink:
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    'Cause they don't fee like it?
    Who cares. If you enjoy doing it, go for it. Runners think the same about non runners etc.

I don't know why some have to be so obsessed with what everyone is doing/not doing.
    :D
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

No, it means friendly...

PROVE ME WRONG

:laugh: Oh you are trolling. I should have known.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I could never run on a treadmill for greater than 15 minutes without wanting to kill myself. If I'm gonna do cardio, it's usually sprints outside or on a track.

But lifting above all is my passion.
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I could never run on a treadmill for greater than 15 minutes without wanting to kill myself. If I'm gonna do cardio, it's usually sprints outside or on a track.

But lifting above all is my passion.

I think you just answered your own question ;)

• JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Personally? Because I crushed my wrist a few years ago, and now it is held together with sticks and baling wire.
    If I lifted heavy, my hand would stay on the bar, and my arm would spew a fountain of blood like that old SNL sketch.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    They're intimidated. They are unsure of what they're doing or think they will get bulky. Of course, they are wrong. My body never looked or felt as good as it does now that I'm heavy lifting. I was under the impression that cardio was the cure-all and it's absolutely wrong.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    They're intimidated. They are unsure of what they're doing or think they will get bulky. Of course, they are wrong. My body never looked or felt as good as it does now that I'm heavy lifting. I was under the impression that cardio was the cure-all and it's absolutely wrong.

Or perhaps they simply don't enjoy lifting?
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »
    Who cares. If you enjoy doing it, go for it. Runners think the same about non runners etc.

I don't know why some have to be so obsessed with what everyone is doing/not doing.

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. Not all women like to lift weights and they shouldn't be demonized for it.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    majigurl wrote: »

I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend. Not all women like to lift weights and they shouldn't be demonized for it.

Neither do all men. I know many men who i consider athletes that just bike, run, swim, or play sports. They don't lift weights because it doesn't interest them.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Females are odd at the gym... 80% of them cardio/abs..maybe pickup a super heavy 5lb dumbbell and lift it 5 times
    10% of them just squat to have a big *kitten*.. the other 10% is a mix of girls "pretending to work out, and girls actually working out"

Don't be intimidated by us males.. most of us are friendly, will move out of your way.. you can ask questions we don't bite we will not grunt at you.. if you do break a sweat, it's not the end of the world.

We can also spot you...

*sigh*

I do cardio so I don't gas in the third round and get knocked out because I dropped my guard and those "girls" hit like Mack trucks.

I work abs because a well executed clinch knee is hard enough to break bones, and even a glancing body shot will fold you like a cheap suit if you don't condition your abs.

I use light weights to build muscular endurance so I can throw hundreds of punches without exhausting my arms and shoulders.

I squat to balance out my overdeveloped quads and hips from kicking the heavy bag (and people's faces.)

And finally, if I stay out of the weight room at certain gyms, it's only because I'm so tired of explaining to condescending sexists that as a champion athlete with top strength and conditioning coaches in addition to my team of sport specific trainers, I actually do have some idea what I'm doing and no, I don't need you to show me how to load a barbell FFS.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    10% of them just squat to have a big *****.. the other 10% is a mix of girls "pretending to work out, and girls actually working out"

We can also spot you...

I have a lot of things to say to this. but go *kitten* yourself is really the best one I can come up with really.

no one's scared of you.

and keep your lame *kitten* spot to yourself- you can't curl what I can bench.

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Because some people aren't into it. Why don't more people run marathons? Because they aren't into it.

It's a bit egocentric to imagine that your thing is the be all and end all of what everyone should be doing.

I find this type of thing typically comes up with people who are new to whatever and are still in the evangelical stage of their love for whatever it is they are now doing. It's like when you're in a new relationship and all you can think about is your new love. Once you've been in it for years, it's okay to think about other things and not wonder why everyone else isn't living their life the same way that you are.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Aside from laziness on my end? I know lifting doesn't have to make me muscle-bound and bulky, but I don't really care about that. With a cyst in one wrist and having no idea what I'm doing, I'm reluctant to just jump in with manuals and youtube videos. I need someone to watch and correct me the first few times, and I can't afford that yet.
  • kate2004rock
    kate2004rock Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    Most comments I get from women who don't lift is that they lack the knowledge and therefore confidence. But some lack the understanding of the benefits too and yes, have misconceptions.

I can say - I lack the knowledge and confidence. I don't know where to start!

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Until I starting lifting (wanting to be stronger is essenitally where it started) I never wanted to lift. If I had to learn by myself in a crowded gym - alone in the "mens section" I may never get the confidence. So I started in my garage and I LOVE lifting heavy! I wouldnt be so intimidated today to go to the gym.
    Bulking never crossed my mind and its not a fear I have.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I think you're overlooking the obvious: our girlie-brains are not genetically designed to handle math, so figuring out which plates to put on the bar is impossible for us. hfjnroms2r81.png