GIRLS UNDER 5' 4" with less than 30 lbs to loose!

Options

Replies

• MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Have you been measuring yourself? The scale may go up as you lose little amounts of inches. I lost two off my hips and my weight stayed the same.

Nope, I should start doing that though. I weigh in and take pictures once a week.
  • Garae
    Garae Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and would like to lose about 30 pounds, i'm at 163 now starting from 170
  • chibiyumi
    chibiyumi Posts: 5
    Options
    I'll be in this group too. Just joined MFP not long ago.
    I'm 5'2" and wanted to lose another 10-15 lbs. But seems like i'm not making much progress at this moment :(
  • coolsmartygirl
    coolsmartygirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and wanted to lose another 10-15 lbs. But seems like i'm not making much progress at this moment :(

What process have you done so far? Have you working out a lot? Let us know if you need any help.
  • firestarbeauty
    Options
    Im 5'2 and I need to loose 38-33 more lbs before Im my ideal BMI....but inches are coming off nicely!
  • equinehugger3
    equinehugger3 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm like 5'3 and looking to lose 20... I've got the 30 Day Shred coming in the mail!!! :D I have a "healthy range" BMI, but I have like an inch of fat on my stomach... Is there anyone else like this? :P Lol.
  • gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm like 5'3 and looking to lose 20... I've got the 30 Day Shred coming in the mail!!! :D I have a "healthy range" BMI, but I have like an inch of fat on my stomach... Is there anyone else like this? :P Lol.

I had an inch or so of fat on my stomach when I weighed 130, which is within healthy range for me. I'm now about 12 pounds heavier, so its more like two inches of fat.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's calorie intake? And do you eat your exercise calories?

I started eating mine two weeks ago and gained 2 pounds :(

My calories are set to 1310 to lose 1 lb. a week. I do eat back most of my exercise calories, although on really big exercise days I usually have a 300 or so deficit. I am an athlete who has maintained the same weight (about 127 lbs.) with the exception of pregnancies for the majority of my adult life.

Just as a note, I gained a sudden 10 lbs. in April 2010, and for a WHOLE YEAR I ate appx. 1200 calories (via WW old plan of 18-22 points per day) and none of my exercise cals. back. I just went up and down 3 lbs. for the whole darn year. This past May I was so irritated and frustrated and started eating everything in sight, so I put on another 5 and got up to 142.something.

I have finally realized that I NEED to eat my exercise calories. I guess I have been starving myself and had no idea. There are days I burn over 1000 calories and I was only eating about 1200. Now that I am eating my exercise calories, I have lost 9 pounds. It is slowing though. I do have low body fat (about 19% because I work out), but I am trying to drop this last 6 and it is stubborn, stubborn. I am convinced, however, that I cannot lose weight without eating those exercise calories. So hard to understand why, but once I read the explanations on MFP, the lightbulb finally went on and I am losing.

blessings.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    What does eating your excerise calories mean? is that a good or bad thing?

This guy does a great job of explaining it. This is the thread that helped me finally understand:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/196502-for-the-people-who-work-out-like-crazy-and-are-not-losing

blessings.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join in with you girls.
    I'm 5'3", started at 158, I'm a little under 154 now.... I am hoping to get down to 130 again.

I am repeating almost exactly the scenario I went through a couple of years ago. My second child was 18 months, I buckled down and calorie counted and started working out and got down to 127 in about 3 months and felt AMAZING. A few days later, I found out I was now carrying baby #3 ;) Now baby #3 is 21 months old and I'm back at it. I hope it's as easy and rewarding as last time!
  • hungrymarathongirl
    hungrymarathongirl Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    5'4" here. I was at my goal weight of 108 lbs last year....got careless and started binge eating...so I am wanting to lose 12 lbs to get back to my goal weight.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'd love to join in with you girls.
    I'm 5'3", started at 158, I'm a little under 154 now.... I am hoping to get down to 130 again.

I am repeating almost exactly the scenario I went through a couple of years ago. My second child was 18 months, I buckled down and calorie counted and started working out and got down to 127 in about 3 months and felt AMAZING. A few days later, I found out I was now carrying baby #3 ;) Now baby #3 is 21 months old and I'm back at it. I hope it's as easy and rewarding as last time!

Been there done that. This time was so different for me though. I tried to do the same thing when my youngest turned about a year, I think, and things weren't coming off like before. I was completely distressed. Then while at my son's karate class, another mom pulled me into her kung fu class and I LOVED what they did. That was two years ago and I still cannot wrap my head around the results, simply because exercise in my past was mostly cardio and light weights, exercise videos and walking/jogging. Kung fu has so much more calisthenic type stuff using your own body weight that I have built a lot of quad and glute muscles. My body looks so different, but I just cannot get rid of the belly to my satisfaction.
  • Virgo09
    Virgo09 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I'm 5'3 and would like to loose about 25 lbs.
  • chibiyumi
    chibiyumi Posts: 5
    Options

What process have you done so far? Have you working out a lot? Let us know if you need any help.

Call me newbie. I just learn that under taking calories daily (ie 1200 calories for me) will put my body to starvation mode and slow down the metabolism, which leads to harder to loss weight :embarassed:

Now i'm trying to get back on track with the calories, and continue my hot yoga and walking :smile:
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Okay well now that I'm tracking calories, exercising, drinking tons of water, etc... basically doing everything right... why am I gaining weight? Is this normal at the beginning? It's very discouraging. I weighed less when I wasn't behaving with everything.
  • sleepytexan
    Options
    Okay well now that I'm tracking calories, exercising, drinking tons of water, etc... basically doing everything right... why am I gaining weight? Is this normal at the beginning? It's very discouraging. I weighed less when I wasn't behaving with everything.

yes, if you are a brand new exerciser, there is often a brief period when the scale goes up. It is hard to accept (not fair!). It should change in a few weeks and as you keep at it, you will see your measurements and clothing size get smaller even if the scale is not moving. I have a friend--we are the same height and wear the same size clothes but I weigh about 14 lbs. more than she does because I work out 6 days and she does not work out at all. I have 19% body fat and she has about 23%. Trust, you will look better fit at a higher weight than you will if you are unfit at a lower weight.

Also, my friend starves herself to stay at 119. She is always hungry so she drinks tons of coffee and smokes :( I eat about 2000 calories a day and I feel pretty good about my 133. Working out is a beautiful thing!

that's me on the right with my 119-pound friend:

junecandl2-1.jpg

As we get older, the difference between being fit and unfit becomes more and more apparent and important. You are smart to get going now--it will make your life so much easier, and you will look and feel younger than your years.
    Keep on! blessings!
  • dglaravivar
    Options
    i am 5'3 weight 139-138...depends on the day...lol...and i wanna lose 10 pounds..=]
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options

yes, if you are a brand new exerciser, there is often a brief period when the scale goes up. It is hard to accept (not fair!). It should change in a few weeks and as you keep at it, you will see your measurements and clothing size get smaller even if the scale is not moving. I have a friend--we are the same height and wear the same size clothes but I weigh about 14 lbs. more than she does because I work out 6 days and she does not work out at all. I have 19% body fat and she has about 23%. Trust, you will look better fit at a higher weight than you will if you are unfit at a lower weight.

Also, my friend starves herself to stay at 119. She is always hungry so she drinks tons of coffee and smokes :( I eat about 2000 calories a day and I feel pretty good about my 133. Working out is a beautiful thing!

that's me on the right with my 119-pound friend:

junecandl2-1.jpg

As we get older, the difference between being fit and unfit becomes more and more apparent and important. You are smart to get going now--it will make your life so much easier, and you will look and feel younger than your years.
    Keep on! blessings!

You really are gorgeous! And you make 43 look amazing!! We should all be so lucky : ) I was like your friend once. I smoked and barely ate, drank a lot of coffee, but my weight was good but not healthy. I hated smoking, so I quit many years ago. My body went through a huge change, I gained weight, of course. And eventually got it down again. I really didn't care about gaining weight so much, I was SO happy and proud that I quit.

Okay, I'm happy to stick with it, and won't let the scale deter me from any success I might have in a few weeks from now. Thanks for the encouragement!! I did take measurements at first, so I'll be sure to keep up with that. I'm doing the 30 day shred, I'm on Day 5. So we'll see.

Thanks again! Glad to know this is normal at first!
  • aly1221
    aly1221 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hey there! I'm 5' and on my way to losing 25 lbs! Looking for some support and will support anyone who needs some :smile:

8738171.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • TranquilityBreeze
    TranquilityBreeze Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Can I join? :) I'm 5'3" and my first goal is 25 pounds. Once I get there I will see how I feel. I just wanna be a comfortable size 7/8.