Why Calories In and Calories Out... It really ISN'T that simple.....

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Calories In and Calories Out is by far the most important element to weight loss and weight management in general...nutrition is another matter entirely....

Oh...and as an aside...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTca6DNhDWCn8XFQsSLfX4hyLcz_UTRzRI-GtbcftM8_KWmkFVSrw

Yes....this x1000.

And since the train has already left the station, I just want to reiderate.

People that say CICO is what matters for weight loss mean just that...., not nutrition but purely weight loss.

In the end how many calories you've had will dictate your weight loss, but not your level of nutrition. Your nutrition is dictated by what you eat.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    mcatlin10 wrote: »
    Don't try to argue with the "True Believers" on this one...do what works for you and is nutritionally sound...for those those who can't take on a higher level of complexity than CI-CO, it'll work for them until it doesn't.

What? Can you elaborate?

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    ok... I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy, but I just read the word hyman like a hundred times...and I giggled each time (yes, I know it's not spelled the same).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, I wouldn't say a single word against CICO on MFP.....

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.

Nutrition is incredibly important to hit goals and for overall health

If you think that the overarching truth of calories in vs calories out under which all successful losing weight ./ weight gain / weight maintenance / fitness goals fall doesn't allow for good nutrition you simply don't know what you're talking about
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Good thing I saved that one post I made a long time ago.

Let's take a person, healthy, overweight, pregnant, with medical conditions doesn't matter.
    We stop time at some point during their day, when doesn't matter. Let's call that point in time tX.
    At point tX, there is a certain amount of energy available in the body for usage by your body in the form of food in your digestive tract, stored glycogen, fat and lean mass, as well as what is in your blood stream, in total that's X kiloCalories.
    Now we let time run again, how long doesn't matter. Then we stop it again and we call that point in time tY.
    At this point, again, a certain amount of energy is available in your body in the form of food, glycogen, LBM, fat and what's in your blood stream, that is Y kiloCalories.

Between points tX and tY, an amount of kiloCalories went into your body from eating, we'll call that CI and left your body either from burning for energy, (possibly loss as heat), or excretion, we'll call to CO.
    Conservation of energy now states, as a law that always applies no matter what, that X = Y + CO - CI and conversely Y = X + CI - CO. Always. There can never be a Z somewhere in there that is not accounted for by what went in or out of your body.
    Energy that you never put in can not be stored, it is impossible to store more energy than the difference of what you put in and what goes out.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    ok... I have the sense of humor of a 12 year old boy, but I just read the word hyman like a hundred times...and I giggled each time (yes, I know it's not spelled the same).

That's DOCTOR Hyman to you...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

Why I will choose....
    100 calories of almonds vs. a processed 100 calorie granola bar.......
    100 calories of berries vs. 100 calories of sugar added yogurt.......

drhyman.com/blog/2014/04/10/calories-dont-matter/

Yes they are the same calories to your body. They have different nutrition content but the calories are the same. Eat sugar or don't eat sugar. Eat only food you grow yourself or eat fast food meals. Realize that it is a personal eating preference and a calorie is alwaysgoing to be a calorie. Pretty simple.
    You can feel better, more full, healthier eating a certain amount of nutrients. No one is saying that you can't. That is pretty simple too.

I've lost weight eating the same foods I gained weight eating just different portion sizes. I recognize that I can get different nutrients from different foods or can eat more of some foods than others. Not complicated at all.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    Doctah hymen...still funny.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    He's been called out on his b.s. so...

Busted Hyman!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

As much as I agree that higher quality foods are going to be better for weight loss in the long run, MFP forums are not the place for that kind of thinking. They just don't want see it from that perspective.
    Please. The majority of people who've had successful weight loss don't disagree on the quality of food for it's nutrient density. Weight loss comes down to CICO regardless of approach. What someone does to fulfill that is a matter of choice. You will NEVER find a weight loss program or diet that doesn't use a form of CICO for weight loss.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

^^True words.
    You can package it different and call it different but in the end, successful weight loss is eating less calories than you burn.
    Fact.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Please. The majority of people who've had successful weight loss don't disagree on the quality of food for it's nutrient density. Weight loss comes down to CICO regardless of approach. What someone does to fulfill that is a matter of choice. You will NEVER find a weight loss program or diet that doesn't use a form of CICO for weight loss.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Of course you can find them. It's the ones that don't work for more than water weight at best.
  • enterdanger
    Options
    I see what you did there @TheBeachgod hee hee.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    CICO is an umbrella. If you are counting calories, you are following CICO. If you don't count calories, you are still following CICO. CICO is overarching and never goes away. How you get there is your own preference.

If you think otherwise you have some "learnin" to do.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    robs_ready wrote: »
    brekober wrote: »
    robs_ready wrote: »

God I could not think of anything more ghastly
    No joke! But it proves that if you eat in a deficit you will lose weight. Healthy food or not.

Absolutely, you've given me a great idea for a macdonalds diet, chicken nuggets anyone?

I lost a boat load on the Jaegger and mcnugget diet! My blood pressure only went through the roof, it was totes ok.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Like it or not, our bodies are machines. No matter how much you resist understanding physics or chemistry, your body understands it. Your body does science all day, erry day. Your body does not care whether the carbs, fats, and proteins comes from a burger at McDonald's or a homemade, grass-fed, daily-massaged burger on Jehovah's Witness bread with organic non-pasteurized cheese (with a side of listeria) and organic lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, and hand-churned butter.

Your body takes what it needs and uses it, throwing away the trash like a $20 prostitute. You may "feel" like you did better by eating the fancy burger, but your body literally doesn't care.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Dr. Mark Hyman... maker of the movie Fed Up (you need to see it if you haven't) addresses the real reason that NOT ALL CALORIES ARE THE SAME....

"Fed Up!" was a whole bunch of bunkum, wrapped in delusion. I saw it, and couldn't believe the deflection away from person responsibility to manage your own weight.

"Whine! Obesity is caused by X, Y, and Z! Nothing I do can fix it! WAAAHHH!" is basically the entire movie.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    CICO is an umbrella. If you are counting calories, you are following CICO. If you don't count calories, you are still following CICO. CICO is overarching and never goes away. How you get there is your own preference.

If you think otherwise you have some "learnin" to do.

This. And do I remember a graphic posted long ago with a CICO umbrella and drops of rain labeled for every possible diet under the sun, or am I imagining that?
  • brekober
    brekober Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    kaellyn wrote: »

This was literally my turning point. I've tried every thing on the planet to lose weight - for about a week at a time, until the rules, the hunger, or the rebellion got too much. But this dude a) lost weight on Twinkies and a multivitamin, and b) had better health indicators because the weight came off, not because he was eating antioxidants or superfoods or whatever.

So now, I'm staying under my calories almost all the time. I'm trying to reach my protein and not go crazy with sodium because those two factors contribute to my "feeling good" more than any others. I'm moving more to get more calories. That's it. And, at least for the past five weeks or so, it's been working. It's not complicated, I have nothing to rebel against, and I don't have to become a short-order cook to fix my diet food and everyone else's regular food. I just eat less than I used to of what they're eating.
    That's awesome!! Nobody wants to be on a "diet" their whole life.
  • dgobbett
    dgobbett Posts: 53 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    There are studies where a man ate nothing but hostess snacks and Doritos for 10 weeks while maintaining a calorie deficit and managed to steadily lose weight.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Sure if he had 1800 calories of healthy nutritious food everyday rather than snack cakes I am sure it would have been better, he may have lost more weight but this does put stock in CICO being fairly simple. I think many try to over complicate it to either A) Sell something or B) Find a reason why their results do not align with their expectation.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Like it or not, our bodies are machines. No matter how much you resist understanding physics or chemistry, your body understands it. Your body does science all day, erry day. Your body does not care whether the carbs, fats, and proteins comes from a burger at McDonald's or a homemade, grass-fed, daily-massaged burger on Jehovah's Witness bread with organic non-pasteurized cheese (with a side of listeria) and organic lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, and hand-churned butter.

Your body takes what it needs and uses it, throwing away the trash like a $20 prostitute. You may "feel" like you did better by eating the fancy burger, but your body literally doesn't care.
    +1. It's primary goal is just to keep alive and has a system in place on how to achieve that. It doesn't care if you ate something bitter, sour, sweet, etc, it just takes in whatever calories and nutrients provided and doles it out to the cells.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png