From 363.4 to 197.7 lbs: My One-Meal-a-Day Success Story

Options

Replies

• kachurka
    kachurka Posts: 5 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi, I started omad for about a few weeks. I noticed you lost a lot of weight in a very short time. How much did you lose weekly? Also I wanted to know, will my body know where to stop losing weight? Will I have to further limit my portion size as I get nearer to my weight goal? I want to lose about fifty pounds. Thanks!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    kachurka wrote: »
    Hi, I started omad for about a few weeks. I noticed you lost a lot of weight in a very short time. How much did you lose weekly? Also I wanted to know, will my body know where to stop losing weight? Will I have to further limit my portion size as I get nearer to my weight goal? I want to lose about fifty pounds. Thanks!

I averaged 2.4 to 3.6 lbs with few plateaus. You will keep losing until that point when your calories coming in equals your calories going out, but with this and all variations of intermittent fasting, you remain in control. It is attainable to work toward your ideal goal weight and stay there by cycling on and off. As for portion size, once you have put yourself at a steady calorie deficit, you will continue to lose until that point that you raise your calories. So your new (lighter) body will need less calories than before, but your stomach will also shrink, which means you won't feel bad. You will be a downscaled version of you, requiring less fuel to survive. No reason at all to worry. It is a pretty fluid process with enough time to adjust and tailor to your own needs.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Good job, sir. That is awesome.

I agree with those who say the big thing is finding what works for YOU!

I don't know if I would like the one meal per day thing myself. But I've had tons of people lecture me on how I should be eating 6-10 mini meals. No thanks. I have lost over 100 lb happily eating a tiny breakfast (200 cal or less usually) and a large lunch and dinner. I never snack. I almost never eat between 7 pm and 7 am. I know all too well about those armchair dietitians. lol
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Yes, the little meals thing is quite ridiculous, although some support for it seems to have disappeared in previous months.

Great progress. A lot of people have modified my plan to make one that is more them-friendly, which I applaud, of course.
  • Tall_E
    Tall_E Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for your encouragement too. By the way, i understand that skin will gradually tighten up again for most people though it could take over a year and you may still have permanent stretch marks
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Tall_E wrote: »
    Congratulations! Thanks for your encouragement too. By the way, i understand that skin will gradually tighten up again for most people though it could take over a year and you may still have permanent stretch marks

Doesn't look like that will happen with my loose skin, but maybe it hasn't finished yet and will get a bit better on me. Either way, I'm not worried about it.
  • kachurka
    Options
    I have another question :) I wanted to know about splurge days. You wrote on your website that once a week one should have a splurge day. What did yours look like? Did you have many males that day, or a big one? Also I noticed after one splurge day I gain back a few pounds- is this normal? But you are right, the metabolism revs up and the next few days I go into an even lower weight. Thx for your answers
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    kachurka wrote: »
    I have another question :) I wanted to know about splurge days. You wrote on your website that once a week one should have a splurge day. What did yours look like? Did you have many males that day, or a big one? Also I noticed after one splurge day I gain back a few pounds- is this normal? But you are right, the metabolism revs up and the next few days I go into an even lower weight. Thx for your answers

I am about to do a YT video exclusively on the splurge day. Basically, here is the low-down; it's not essential if you keep close to (or just below) maintenance calories, but generally, losses will be slower that way; on the other hand, if you stay at a big deficit for very long periods of time, the body needs a break and a splurge pays that bill. A day of splurging a week is great for most, but for those with metabolism/sugar absorption issues and/or are extremely obese, sometimes once every two weeks is better.

Some people can't work with splurge days very well because they psychologically get off track with them, but most people can so long as they don't let them get out of hand. Mine were consistently once every two weeks while losing my biggest and I gradually added back in to once a week, and then twice a week, etc. as I moved into maintenance (that's the easiest way, IMO, as a balance of splurge/normalcy sets in).

As far as what I'm eating or how much on those days, hey, it absolutely does not matter, my friend. At first, it was a large, non-portion-controlled meal that ended up being who knows how many calories. Do not even ATTEMPT to track calories on this day! Other times, it was a day of grazing and eating whatever was available wherever I was, nutritious or non. I honestly forage like a bear on those days and the beauty is that just like a bear in the wild, I'll feel too full and be reminded of why and how I don't like doing that very often. lol The bears are nature's most efficient weight-loss machines. Follow their example as I have done and you will enjoy similar results.

But it's nature's way to sometimes splurge. Those who don't ever do it are the exceptions, not the rule. All the big cats and omnivores top off when they eat. This makes up for any macronutrient deficits, plus gives the mind and body overall a break from the low-key stress present during a sustained deficit. And yes, one feels fuller and may gain a bit, followed by a sharp loss the coming week once they go back into deficit. Done well - and under the right circumstances - splurging is an important part of lifestyle management. It really is.
  • dana7dana7
    dana7dana7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had a friend lose 100lbs this way and when she stopped eating this way she gains back 20 but then stopped gaining. So overall 80 lbs isn't bad. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • lore11a
    lore11a Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kachurka
    Options
    Thank you arguablysamson! For that very detailed answer! You are the real deal. I think if someone can handle a splurge day, then more power to the. And the next day is crucial because for some reason I have an even bigger appetite, so I have to go right back into omad.
  • _Figgzie_
    _Figgzie_ Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    Are you still 6'4" after? :D
  • rdgfreshstart2016
    rdgfreshstart2016 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great information and motivation in this thread. Thanks for the great post and all the inspiring comments that followed.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Does not seem so odd to me as my dad did this for many years. Worked for him too. You look awesome btw. And more importantly, you have reclaimed your health. Priceless!
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    tottie_07 wrote: »
    Does not seem so odd to me as my dad did this for many years. Worked for him too. You look awesome btw. And more importantly, you have reclaimed your health. Priceless!

Thanks so much.
  • tottie_07
    tottie_07 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    tottie_07 wrote: »

Thanks so much.

I am rather enjoying your shared link for more info. I have never actually read anything on this, but only remember dad eating this way 30 some years ago. Thanks for sharing!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Like others have said. Great job on the weight loss, and everyone has different approaches that work for them. My only concern is that a one meal a day plan seems like it might encourage someone to go from one extreme to the other with regard to eating disorders.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but I feel like I would encourage a more balanced lifestyle of simply eating healthy and not using food as an obsession or comfort tool.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    I've decided to only eat once a day before running into your post (I googled) and happy I did. What an amazing story. My weight loss is so slow..and I really think this is what is going to lead me to lose. Hoping it works and is something I can do for the long run, today's my first day..so far so good.

It will get you losing!

Welcome aboard!
  • Budgirl2455
    Budgirl2455 Posts: 26 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Congratulations on your amazing loss. I agree not every way to lose weight is for everyone. This worked for you and you look great. Keep up the great work. B) Would love to be added as a friend to see food diary. Thank you for sharing your journey.
  • rabbyduby
    rabbyduby Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    arguablysamson i am considering trying this - is this ok for a Type 2 diabetic ? Also what is your website ?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!