Dumb advice people have given you...

Options

Replies

• wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,571 Member
    Options
    whenever someone suggests eating 1200 calories a day or less.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    My all time biggest peeve is someone saying 'you can't eat THAT, you're on a diet'!!
    They have yet to eat their words! 3 yrs on since I lost my weight and have kept it off - so obviously I KNOW what I'm doing :smiley:

I had a woman I worked with, barely spoke to, and was not exactly on the best terms with, give me a lecture about a Diet Dr. Pepper I was drinking.

"You'll gain weight if you keep drinking that! Aren't you trying to lose weight?!"

A: I've lost 85 lbs drinking the occasional diet
    B: This was the first pop I'd had in a month, which is why I was treating myself that day
    C: I don't believe you can gain weight from DIET unless you drink it to extreme excess (and even then, it's debatable)
    D : NO ONE ASKED HER
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Running is bad for your knees. No... Just no!
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    "I don't have to count my calories, and I weight 95lbs. Just eat what I eat" <-- My MIL, everyone. :neutral:

Also to the previous post. I have terrible knees, and my family was not thrilled when I started jogging. Since starting, my knees have become more stable, and they are usually the last thing that gets sore. :smiley:

Haha
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    People at work have come to the conclusion that I'm trying to lose weight, so they try to push whatever detox/pill/fat burner they are doing on me, along with lots of false information. It gets old
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »

I've gotten, "running does absolutely nothing for your health." From a morbidly obese man who does no form of exercise.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me to smoke during pregnancy. That I wouldn't gain as much weight and my baby would be smaller and easier to push out. I wish I could shut this person out of my life like, forever. But, they're "family". Ironically enough, they're in healthcare too.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    Eat less than 1200 calories a day to lose weight.
    You can't eat that.
    You should try the HCG diet.
    You should try this detox.
    You should try this juicing diet.
    You should try this weight loss pill.
    You shouldn't lift because you'll get bulky.
    You shouldn't lift heavy things because you'll look like a man.
    Listen to Dr. Oz.
    Take these Raspberry Ketones.

I'm sure there are more, but these are the ones I can think of.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You should try the HCG diet.

Oh man...HCG. I remember when the forums were inundated with HCG posts.
  • Jenfromtheblock84
    Jenfromtheblock84 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OMG you definitely should get your dr to give you this medication... side effect potential heart attack.
    You should try this fast/cleanse I'm doing I've lost 2lbs overnight...
    You don't have to log EVERY single bite of food you put in your mouth. One cupcake won't kill you... 1/2 right.
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    "I don't have to count my calories, and I weight 95lbs. Just eat what I eat" <-- My MIL, everyone. :neutral:

Also to the previous post. I have terrible knees, and my family was not thrilled when I started jogging. Since starting, my knees have become more stable, and they are usually the last thing that gets sore. :smiley:

Haha

Glad running has helped. I reckon being over 300lbs and unable to walk up stairs without panting was far worse for me knees than losing 130lbs and running marathons is! But hey, I guess I should listen to the person who thinks walking 3miles twice a year in a park is hiking LOL
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    When I was low-normal BMI and in my lifetime best shape:

"Of COURSE you can have a second piece of cake, you're skinny."
    "Why are you only eating that ["that" being a nutritionally balanced meal of ~500 calories]? You're thin, you can eat whatever you want."
    "You shouldn't stress about fitting in workouts, you're not even fat."
    "You're wrong about these portion sizes being too big. What would you even know about diets? You're not fat."
    "You have a much faster metabolism than I do, that's why you're thin."

And basically every other manifestation of the bass-ackwards notion and advice based on the idea that slender people are slender effortlessly and can and should eat whatever, because they have Achieved Thinness and that's some kind of permanent state of being, rather than the outcome of cumulative behaviors over a long period, and one that can change if they start eating more and moving less.

• lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Samstan101 wrote: »
    My practitioner told me this before as well as mother who has developed arthritis in her knees? I always notice my knees hurting after I run too.
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also once posted a transformation photo on Facebook of my 30 pound loss. I then received a PM from a girl I am only acquaintances with, trying to get me to buy "Visalus" from her to help with weight loss. Really? I've already lost weight without your high priced garbage; why would I want it now? I couldn't think of a response that wasn't rude, so I just didn't respond at all.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I was mega skinny for years, 5'9" 110 lbs. I went to a weight clinic in my mid 20s and the consultant suggested I start a weekly program of steroid injections (at a significant cost). I was ignorant and poor at the time (some things never change) so I asked my Doctor what he thought about it and he freaked out. He asked me the name of the place and where it was. They were out of business very shortly after that.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    You need this product/program from Advocare Shakeology, Herbalife, etc.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had someone tell me to smoke during pregnancy. That I wouldn't gain as much weight and my baby would be smaller and easier to push out. I wish I could shut this person out of my life like, forever. But, they're "family". Ironically enough, they're in healthcare too.

That takes the cake!
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I don't drink a lot of alcohol anymore...usually though it's because 1. I have no tolerance anymore and 2. I can't control my food choices once I have a couple. The worst advice: That you should EAT MORE to break your weight-loss plateau/jump start your metabolism. Just NO.

:D:D I don't GIVE this advice to people...but I took it and it has worked for me! A couple days of maintenance, and I usually am back on track to losing. I wouldn't call it a "jump start" and I have zero science to back it up, but it's worked for me 3 or 4 times I've hit plateaus. Even if it's unrelated, it's sure nice to eat maintenance for a few days.

Worst advice I've gotten is "calories in, calories out" with no elaboration. Without knowing about calorie density, how to eat to feel full, how to use a food scale, etc...all the things that made "calories in, calories out" work for me personally. When I hear people go on and on about "how it's just a fact" I'm like no *kitten* sherlock, but "knowing" something doesn't make me magically start losing weight because the fact is in my head now, does it. It took 2 years after "knowing" that fact for me to learn the other stuff and actually start losing. Now 125 lbs down woo hoo!
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't really think that advice is all that dumb OP...not that people can't lose weight while drinking alcohol in moderation, but alcohol can be a real impediment. Alcohol calories cannot be stored like calories from other things...which sounds brilliant right? But while you have alcohol in your system, you shut down all metabolic processes to process the alcohol...so while you have alcohol in your system, you will not oxidize fat and you will not burn calories consumed while you are intoxicated. Beer in particular is a whammy because while the alcohol in the beer can't be stored, the carbohydrates in the beer can...and they will be stored because you're body is only working on metabolizing the alcohol.

You figure it takes about an hour for your body to metabolize one drink...so you go tie one on and have, say six drinks...that's essentially six hours that you are for all intents and purposes, shut down your metabolism.

I am in no way disregarding this information, but I am curious. Is there anything you can link me to with information on the metabolic processes with alcohol? I'm taking a biochemistry course right now and this seems relevant. I really am just curious :)
  • icemaiden37
    icemaiden37 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    After coworker (who currently does *no* exercise) commented on my weight loss...
    Me: thanks, I'm only a kilo away from a healthy BMI
    Coworker : you know, you should do 5 mins of running at the end of your gym session. I've done jogging and that helped me lose weight
    Me : I hate running
    Coworker : well if you want to lose that kilo that's what you need to do
    Me : (walks away)
    I've managed perfectly well to lose the other 8kilos without running, I don't see what makes this particular kilo any different!