Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
12345679»

Replies

• sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It will also work as a laxative, therefore clearing out your GI. So it would make it seem like you are losing weight when really you are just emptied out.

I personally love vinegar on all sorts of food for the flavor. I grew up putting salt and white vinegar on french fries down at the Old Orchard Beach pier in Maine.

PIER FRIES. BEST FRIES. And yes - I know exactly which ones you mean. Stop making me miss Maine.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to try it. Apple cider vinegar has been used for a long time. Each to their own though.

Actually, it does.
    1. ACV isn't free. Wasting one's money in one area means less to spend on other things that might be more helpful: buying foods with higher satiety in fewer calories for example, or other purchases that help with exercise.
    2. The mental cost - pinning one's hopes on false beliefs has a mental cost. Every time a person tries a diet gimmick and fails creates the mental belief that their body is uniquely incapable of losing weight.
    3. Health - a person trying to lose weight instead of using a proven method could be losing weight with the proven method and be that much healthier by the end of the trial.

To each their own is a talisman clutched by those in a way it cannot justify - it isn't to your own if you're endorsing charlatanism, it isn't just each to your own when you're encouraging or willing to support someone in false beliefs that have real costs. Deception in such instances is a form of theft, and thus not a case of non-interference.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    It doesn't hurt to try it. Apple cider vinegar has been used for a long time. Each to their own though.

Actually, it does.
    1. ACV isn't free. Wasting one's money in one area means less to spend on other things that might be more helpful: buying foods with higher satiety in fewer calories for example, or other purchases that help with exercise.
    2. The mental cost - pinning one's hopes on false beliefs has a mental cost. Every time a person tries a diet gimmick and fails creates the mental belief that their body is uniquely incapable of losing weight.
    3. Health - a person trying to lose weight instead of using a proven method could be losing weight with the proven method and be that much healthier by the end of the trial.

To each their own is a talisman clutched by those in a way it cannot justify - it isn't to your own if you're endorsing charlatanism, it isn't just each to your own when you're encouraging or willing to support someone in false beliefs that have real costs. Deception in such instances is a form of theft, and thus not a case of non-interference.

Ok. Let's humour your misleading accusations.

For starters deception entails giving false information and when you say each to their own it is a way of respecting another persons decision lead their way.

I would rather remind you that I have made it clear that Apple cider vinegar is not a weight loss solution, simply that adding it into your diet can be beneficial at the very least it will do nothing, but it most definitely will not cause harm.

It isn't free is not a good enough argument to prevent people from trying it. It is actually relatively cheap, and can be used for many different purposes. So hypercritical lay if someone where to buy it and hate the taste. They could always try it as a hot tea with lemon, honey hot water when they have a cold,use it as a hair rinse, or even cleaning. People buy a lot of things, pay higher prices for things repeatedly that they needn't do so and don't seem to suffer from it.

I think your second point is ridiculous. As far as pinning your hopes on something goes, it has been repeatedly stated by many people in this thread(and out of) that ACV is something to provide mild benefit to a already existing moderated healthy diet and exercise regime.

Your third point same as the second. If someone were to give up what they were already doing based on a few mentions of ACV, then that is a separate individual issue but still I would respect their decision. But in no way have I ever encouraged the idea of exclusively expecting a magical cure. As people who use it know it's medicinal properties, cleaning, hair care etc.

If other people would like to try it how could that bother you so?

One study showed further stomach issues for patients with Type I diabetes. One of the earlier studies also found significant tooth erosion related to drinking apple cider vinegar.

For most medicinal purposes no more than 1-2 tablespoons per day is recommended. The side effects of large amounts include decreased potassium levels, which could be life threatening. Vinegar may also interact with diuretics, laxatives, and medicines for diabetes and heart disease
    https://www.washington.edu/wholeu/2015/07/07/beyond-the-hype-apple-cider-vinegar-as-an-alternative-therapy/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Negative campaigning? Did someone call them leightweight chockers or something?
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

"I'm thinking about doing shots of acv for (insert magical woo here)"

"It doesn't work"

"WHY DO YOU HATE DIABETICS? !"
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

:D
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You do realise the evidence you gave was negligible right? Or are you too busy being abusive to mothers in another thread :-p

Are you diabetic?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    You do realise the evidence you gave was negligible right? Or are you too busy being abusive to mothers in another thread :-p

Are you diabetic?

10484893.jpg
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting.This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.