WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2016

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of extreme pilates tody. My hips are tight. Tomorrow Vince said he'd take me to the Y, not sure what I'll do. Update: he's willing to take me to a class they have at 9 which I'll try. Not sure what exactly it is

Earl - good for you putting that cake down the disposal! And janetr - good for you throwing that pizza out. What great choices we're making. the garbage cans seem to be loving us! There was an article in the paper down here about different grains!

motivated - I guessing you saw that the thread was started on Feb. 1. But trust me, we post every day, lots of posts.

katla - sometimes I get cold when I get in the water, too. But I rationalize it as saying that my body is burning more calories to keep it warm so therefore I can eat more. Works for me. I admit that swimming does make you want to eat more. What I do is bring something good for me with me to the gym, like a piece of fruit or something like that. I eat it while I'm getting dressed.

miriam - happy birthday! My gift from Vince that I wanted for Mother's day was to trim the trees! I got what I wanted. Nice yard

Talking about gardening: I have a bit of a dilemma, don't know what to plan. See, around the pool we have these stones. I'd like some sort of flower that will maybe grow over the stones. But next to the stones we have the grass. I really don't like when the grass grows between the stones. Is there anything that would work? The area the flowers woud be in is in full sunlight.

Lillian - your parents were a throwback from the depression. My father was the same way, never threw anything out. But then again, during the depression everything was used and used until it fell apart.

Karen - I don't have any Crisco in my house. Actually, I found a recipe that calls for butter and cream cheese in the crust. Anyway....whenever I make a two crust pie, it never seems to fail that when I bake the pie, the apples shrink and there is a lot of room between the top of the apples and the top crust. How do you avoid this?

Cheri - awesome afghans! Wish I could do as much. I have these placemats that I've literally been making for the last, oh, about 10 years. They no longer make the kind of thread that is used. I'm having the hardest time doing work in the round.

Lenora - I honestly think our bodies decide what our goal weight should be. Hard as I try, I can't seem to go much at all below 130. If I do, I usually start to feel and look like c***, so even tho the Wii says a healthy weight for me would be 116, that's not going to happen in this lifetime.

terri in Milwaukee - how far have you gotten to watching the last season of DA? What's the last thing that happened that you saw?

Carol/Peach - the last time I had a hamburger was a year ago last May. I just felt so terrible after having it. I know it was good meat, but all the grease just really bothered my stomach. This May it'll be 2 years since I've had one and I can't say that I miss it one bit

Pat - now THAT is certainly a pic for pip!

Michele from NC now in FL
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options

:) The month is almost over and it's time to look at the resolutions I set for the month before I make a plan for next month.
    February Resolutions (with end of the month comments
    *weight training twice a week or more (three times a week) :):)
    *attend the tai chi class in my neighborhood to see if I like it (never went, started reading a book instead)
    *get income tax papers ready for the accountant (ready, mailed, and returned to me completed) :):)
    * create a system for organizing line dance CD's (got started, but only a little progress)

I stopped setting goals for the month and started making resolutions after I read this from Gretchen Rubin:
    You hit a goal, you achieve a goal. You keep a resolution.
    I think that some objectives are better characterized as resolutions, others, as goals.
    “Run in a marathon” or “Become fluent in Spanish” is a good goal. It’s specific. It’s easy to tell when it has been achieved. Once you’ve done it, you’ve done it!
    “Eat more vegetables” or “Stop gossiping,” or “Exercise” is better cast as a resolution. You won’t wake up one morning and find that you’ve achieved it. It’s something that you have to resolve to do, every day, forever. You’ll never be done with it.
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Michele, there are a lot of different groundcovers that will grow between your stones. I have two types of thyme between some of mine to the left of the walk in this photo. I like the shorter one best. But you will have to put some sort of barrier to keep the grass from growing between the stones if it is a type that spreads by the root. If it isn't, you need to make sure you are not spreading grass seed on to the stones when you mow. Grass is my worst weed in all my flower beds- we have quack grass here that spreads by the roots. Even a tiny piece of the root will regrow. So I go out after a good rain, with my dandelion digger, and dig up the grass carefully and try to pull up as much as the long side roots that I can get. One brand of groundcover that is good to look for is called Stepables. They are all ones that tolerate being walked on. The thyme lets off a wonderful scent as I walk along the path. 2l4iazcyob3f.jpg

Love the bike sink base. It would be easy to do.

Heather, your dad is one example of how practically no one is either all good or all bad. We are all a blend of good and bad. Some very destructive people can have some wonderful traits.

My birthday evening was very enjoyable. My friend from Africa seemed to have a good time and I think my adult son enjoyed getting to know him too. My girls were a bit in awe of him. I don't think they knew what to think of his tribal markings- scars on his face.
  • GloworminWA
    GloworminWA Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Lenora - people here who have trouble with woodpeckers pecking on their wood sided houses put plastic/resin owls on their roofs. We had a woodpecker who came back every year but only pecked on a huge maple tree that the boys had a rope swing in.
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Stayed positive all day ate well and spent some time outside today. All in all a good day. No tears today first time in 6+ weeks. Maybe I am starting to turn the corner now that the cruise is over.

Glad to see so many of you seemed to have a great day too.

Anne from Wisconsin

Yay! I'm so happy to hear this!
    Kristan
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Today turned out to be a cheat day. :s My ex brought my daughter and I Mexican food to eat during the Oscars and I did not resist eating it. I also had my first Pepsi in a week. On a positive note, I did get back on the treadmill today. Tomorrow is a new day and I will stick with the program.
  • oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    w93xa38bsiu0.jpeg
    Beth, can you guess where I went today?
    Wasn't the weather gorgeous?
    I counted this as a mosey level of walking. There was a lot of mud and melty snow to trek through, but it was so nice and sunny out.
    Betty
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,650 Member
    Options
    Hi gals,

From Gloria - - So I'll leave a question to think about--how do you have fun and burn calories at the same time? I love to garden and that can depending on what you are doing burn plenty of calories…but too many of the “heavy calorie burners” that I like have barriers… like I love to snow shoe, but live 4-5 hour each way drive to snow…

Carol – glad you are feeling better, you’ve been missed

Janetr – Good job!!!! I love scheduling it all in one week…just getting it over with

Tammy/jazzy – whats PF?

Penny – great pictures - interesting that your temp doesn’t fluctuate…

Miriam – Beautiful yard!!! Happy birthday to you! Interesting take on being in your yard when a funeral is going on, I would not mow or blow, but weeding or other quiet thing seems to me that you are honoring the creator of the natural world by taking care of it.

Margaret - here in CA we have bunny and deer issues all year round, and I’ve found that the strong flavored/smelling plants help. Things like rosemary, lavender, mint….

Betty – what a great picture! Where were you? Some place with a bridge!

Kim from N. California
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,665 Member
    Options
    patceoh wrote: »
    Pip........not sure where I saw this pic,but wanted you to see it. Pat

zjvwdf10483m.jpeg

I think I've seen this, very cute idea!
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, ladies!

Miriam, I'm glad your birthday was a good one!

I can barely see to type between yawns so I will try a "real" post tomorrow.

Carol in NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Wow, I think I had to read 5 pages then I had to go back and look again to see if the webcam on the surf was showing anything. Nope, i guess it is a web cam in real time. All I see is what I would suppose to be lights on a long pier. So I will look at it tomorrow during the day. I don't like it when I look at web cams and think they are in real time and at midnight at Myrtle Beach I am seeing sun and surf. It isn't a true web cam. It is a recording! OK, that's over.

Happy birthday Miriam. I love the yard even though it is a couple of years old. I never even though that you couldn't play outside during a funeral. My Dad was a minister and we usually had homes right across or next to the church. But because Dad was doing the funeral and Mom playing the piano, we were quietly sitting eating our Cheerios and reading at the pew right beside the piano.

Michelle came over tonight. Charlie really, really likes to see her and have a meal with her once a week. I take what she will give us and be happy. I feel if I pushed to much I would push her away. But my rice casserole is one of her favorite and I made sure we did not eat on the leftovers so that it would be left for tonight. So we had a real nice visit. She had borrowed money earlier in the year for her bum of a car and she got her tax returns back and just signed the checks over to us. Also her and I are in a contract together for our phones. She thought the plan was less than what the final amount was and she has been giving me her 'half'. Last month she saw the actual bill and is now catching up for each month she didn't pay enough. I tried to get her to keep it that she has other bills. Her plan is even though she pays half the bill with their permission she is paying on every single bill every month until they get payed off.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Kim - my favorite way to have fun and burn calories is to dance - even if it's sitting in a chair dancing! girl-happy-dance-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    Options
    10x10 push-up challenge done! Yeah! Everyone that participated thank you! It is so nice to be on this journey to health and fitness with you!

I am gearing up for my next challenge of 10,000 kettle bell swings. I will start that on Tuesday, March 1 through the 31st. 323 swings per day. I will be starting with my 25 pound kettle bell. If you are planning on joining me take before pictures and measurements.

Have a great night everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Barbie - I have read the book you suggested "Strong Women Stay Young". I also ordered her CD "Preventing Osteoporosis" which has a demo of all the weight resistance exercises so it demonstrates the correct form. I have watched it a couple of times now. I am a little bit sore in my back muscles but not too bad. Jack went and bought me some ankle weights this afternoon while he was out running around. I'm excited to continue with this and see the difference. Oh, which reminds me, I want to take my measurements to have a starting point for comparison.

Janetr OKC (excited about weight training and getting stronger)

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,152 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Oh, which reminds me, I want to take my measurements to have a starting point for comparison.

Congratulations! You are going to love it!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • GloworminWA
    Options
    Going to bed early I have a throbbing headache from coughing. First DGS#1 got sick, then #2, then me. Fever, sore throat, coughing. I think the coughing must be a calorie burner! Still got in 10X10 wall pushups! Next week I'm going to try another kind. Thanks Mary for getting me up and doing them! Actually has been fun! thumbs-up.gif
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Oh, which reminds me, I want to take my measurements to have a starting point for comparison.

Congratulations! You are going to love it!

<3

Mary from Minnesota

Thanks, Mary, I want to look just like you, Ha! I'd have to have a few surgeries to do that. I'll take all the benefits I can get, mostly feeling better health wise and a tremendous sense of accomplishment mentally. I know I will be able to tell and that's what is the most important. Thank you so much for your encouragement and inspiration.

Janetr OKC
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies
    Just wanted to say I'm still here. I've been working really hard trying to make up for my hours lost while I was in Florida. I burn plenty of calories while working that I don't excersize separately on those days. Today it logged me in for five miles and 700 calories burned. Truly I'm too tired to eat much which I need to change by having planned and prepared on days I don't work. That is my goal or tomorrow. I haven't read the last three hundred posts so I'm sorry that I can't comment on recent posts. I do remember that Kim got a job..Congratulations! And that Shep had his first puppy class and hat it went well. And that Sylvia rose to the occasion and did really well at the art co op presentation. Good job Hunny..btw I think your thoughts about the colorings of a special needs young man do need to be considered....you will definitely be setting a precedent. And it should be well thought out. Your idea of a monthly feature or something along that line sounds good to me. Too pooped to continue..looking forward to a day off tomorrow!
    Love to all
    Mindy