What book(s) are you currently reading?

Options

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    A Hole in Our Gospel - Rick Stearns. Life changing.
  • RUN_LIFT_EAT
    RUN_LIFT_EAT Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of sci-fi, especially of the dystopia or doomsday type, if anyone has read anything lately they would recommend, please advise!

Also, for any of the books that anyone is reading, would you mind giving a little one-liner to describe what it's about, or at least genre? Please and thank you!

@sault_girl Don't usually read a lot of sci fi but recently read The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. I found it very captivating. Definitely recommend if you haven't read it already.

Yep. Great book! Made my SO read it. I guess they're making it into a movie.
  • cjferguson40
    cjferguson40 Posts: 93 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Question... So I saw the movie Ender's Game but haven't read the book. Is all hope lost to really enjoy the book at this point?
    As others have mentioned, the book is WAY better than the movie. I appreciated the movie, but it doesn't have anything on the book. Plus, the book may get you interested in the other books written in that 'world' (there are a LOT of them) which are mostly really good.

Enjoy!
  • KrazedBemused
    KrazedBemused Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    sault_girl wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of sci-fi, especially of the dystopia or doomsday type, if anyone has read anything lately they would recommend, please advise!

Also, for any of the books that anyone is reading, would you mind giving a little one-liner to describe what it's about, or at least genre? Please and thank you!

@sault_girl Don't usually read a lot of sci fi but recently read The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey. I found it very captivating. Definitely recommend if you haven't read it already.

Yep. Great book! Made my SO read it. I guess they're making it into a movie.

@RUN_LIFT_EAT I did see somewhere mention of a movie!
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    lauranorr wrote: »
    I just saw the Divergent movie with my kids and we are looking forward to reading the books. I made them read the MazeRunner book before watching the movie, and this time I let them watch the movie before reading the book so that they could compare and contrast and see which experience they like better.

Did you read/watch the Maze Runner series? I was completely confused by the second movie...because it didn't follow the book. I mean, I know they change things...but my daughter and i were like WTF is going on. HAHAHAHA.

Yeah the 2nd film I got really confused at because it made no sense compared to the book. I actually had to go re-read #2 just to make sure I wasn't crazy.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    With my long commutes, I listen to audiobooks. Just now finishing American Sniper which has been interesting in that Chris Kyle discusses his time in Camp Ramadi, which is where I lost my nephew. The description of the area an events in the area was enlightening to me. Next, I'll be listening to Night Fall by Nelson DeMille. Recently I read another of DeMille's books which was intriguing as it incorporated some historical information in an a chase for the Holy Grail. Also had a bit of spice!
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Odd Thomas series, the host, the restaurant at the end of the universe (again) , and happy death - I'm one of those people who can't make up their mind.... So I read several XD

I've enjoyed the Odd Thomas series as well.

• jennaraemyers
    jennaraemyers Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am on the third book Library of Souls in Ransom Riggs Peculiar series and its great! Can hardly put the book down and its so vivid with the imagination I feel as though I'm there!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Halfway through "Matter" by the late great Iain Banks (second time I've read it). Sassy combat drones, a war between feudal pre-industrial humanoids living in a shellworld that has a giant alien called the WorldGod at its center set against a background of galactic intrigue, lots of plot complexity and great characters. Kind of like Game of Thrones in space by one of the greats of late 20th century SF.

Looking forward with great anticipation to the publication of the final volume in Justin Cronin's "The Passage" trilogy this spring, as well as "The Great Ordeal" by R Scott Bakker sometime this year.
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Was the First one good? I saw it advertised and wrote the name down for my next trip to Target.

It was, indeed. It is considered a YA novel, so that's something to take into consideration if that's not really your thing. But it's loads of fun. I think the second might have been more so (for me) - I laughed aloud on several occasions.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Titanuim wrote: »
    Slogging my way through Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It is supposedly a life changing classic but I am finding it a bit meandering and plotless

I like Kurt but that was even hard for me to chew on. I am more of a Ray fan, "Fahrenheit 451," was great. Well I liked it.
    If you want to read a classic that I LOVE (maybe because I was young when I first read them) try, "In Dubious Battle," "Of Mice and Men," and/or "The Red Badge of Courage," they are just a few that resonate with me.
    Maybe by "life changing classic" it's meant that you suddenly realize that time is fleeting and it's too short to waste. ;-)

BTW, I'm reading a crappy CISCO book so I can't take shots at anything anyone is reading!
  • ChristineEll
    ChristineEll Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Broken Promise by Linwood Barclay
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    Tracks by Louise Erdrich
  • joeross155
    joeross155 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lightning by Dean Koontz
  • Varamyr38
    Varamyr38 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm reading The Dresden Files. Absolutely love it! How can you not like a Wizard that helps the police solve crimes?
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Titanuim wrote: »
    Slogging my way through Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. It is supposedly a life changing classic but I am finding it a bit meandering and plotless

I like Kurt but that was even hard for me to chew on. I am more of a Ray fan, "Fahrenheit 451," was great. Well I liked it.
    If you want to read a classic that I LOVE (maybe because I was young when I first read them) try, "In Dubious Battle," "Of Mice and Men," and/or "The Red Badge of Courage," they are just a few that resonate with me.
    Maybe by "life changing classic" it's meant that you suddenly realize that time is fleeting and it's too short to waste. ;-)

BTW, I'm reading a crappy CISCO book so I can't take shots at anything anyone is reading!

I did end up abandoning it and adding it to "finish reading if really desperate" folder on my kindle. It was such a shame as I read "Day of the Triffids" a bit earlier this year and it was amazingly good despite its age so I thought Slaughterhouse was going to be similar.

Just finished Book of the Night women by Marlon James which was great, albeit dark and disturbing and has given me a story hangover so I can't bear to read any fiction for a while.
  • njaalla
    njaalla Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Last book I finished was H is for Hawk by Helen MacDonald. I liked it a lot, it's just so beautifully written.
  • michaelafoor916
    michaelafoor916 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on Night Chills by Dean Koontz.

I've been wanting to read that one. is it good @Splenda_Daddy ? I'm reading The Funhouse by Dean Koontz. He's my favorite author
  • FunbagsMcGee
    FunbagsMcGee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    joeross155 wrote: »
    Lightning by Dean Koontz

good one. personal favorite of his was always the first in the Chris Snow stories. hopefully he'll get around to finishing up the third one at some point.

Your username with my profile picture would be epic