Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Workout stats: 6 straight hours of shopping with my 83 year old mother. That woman puts my 30 year old weight trainer to shame. I need a nap!
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So maybe I am venting or just getting this off my chest. Today a woman who was apparently listening to my sister and I talking at lunch about my recent breakup decided to tell me that my ex gave me the gift of freedom and that God has a plan for me and it is a blessing. I thought what the heck. I never asked for this apparently wonderful gift I have supposedly received. As far as the God part goes it feels like a punishment not some blessing.
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Workout stats: 6 straight hours of shopping with my 83 year old mother. That woman puts my 30 year old weight trainer to shame. I need a nap!

Lol My shopping trips with my mom are all day events.

Welcome newbies great group of ladies here.

On a good note doc said I can do 30 minutes treadmill each day at a moderate speed to help with stress as long as I consume extra calories for those I burn. Hopefully this will help my mood and help get me moving forward.

Thanks again for all the support you guys have given me and for letting me vent away.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    got my 10,000 steps in and under calories today..
    I made a compromise, now my DSIL is going to Florida for 9 days :open_mouth: I will be going to the Cape with Doris but, for thursday, friday and will come back saterday afternoon.... that was Doris can go to Easter mass on Sunday... then Sunday mon,tues, weds,I have to stay over with Faith and Jean will be home thursday night.. so I get my little bit of time away and she gets her alot of time away..
  • linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. My name is Anna and I'm 52 yr old and boy do I have a lot to lose. But I'm having a little difficulty lately as I have been physically limited. I injured my left knee last July and have been on crutches ever since. But the good news is that I went to Mayo Clinic and we have set a date for knee replacement surgery. I will be recovered just enough for summer activities. That makes me very happy. Until then I've been logging all my food religiously and I do get some ecercise.... there are 17 steps up into my apartment. Glad to have found you ladies. I already have you bookmarked
    Anna
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Anne – I apologize for that thoughtless woman! I’m sure she meant well, but butting in is inappropriate and she certainly doesn’t know your opinion on God… I was told basically the same thing when my Dad died, that god was doing this to open new doors – personally I think it is male cow poo (actually I use a more crass term, but ) Sometimes these crappy things do force us to grow and to find new things but that doesn’t make it a “gift”.

Kim from N. California
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Anna - welcome!!
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Evening everyone. I am NOT skipping a day but sheesh you gals talk a lot..... three pages in one day! Too much to remember ever if I do take notes.

Spent the morning weeding the garden getting it ready for planting and worked on some flower beds. I treated the rascal ants again and just want to cry when I see what they are doing to my yard. We have an infestation of Texas Leaf-cutter ants and they are super destructive. Nothing really kills them and the goal is to get bait to the queen, who is about 20 feet under ground. Texas A & M's entomology department said I'm looking at a 3 to 5 year battle. *sigh* They are currently defoliating my 40 foot Holly Tree. They've already cleaned off all the bushes. They're also getting all my neighbors foliage. So far they've left the azaleas and some of the other bushes alone but it's quite discouraging. I put various insect repellent type things on the foliage but it only discourages, doesn't kill. Our next attempt will be pumping CO2 down the hole to attempt to freeze their food source (they use the leaves they harvest to grow fungus which they eat). It was either CO2 or Propane and we thought CO2 might just be a bit on the safer side. Anyway.... discouraging just looking at my beautiful yard being killed. They are everywhere in our neighborhood so it's isn't just my problem.

Did a 30 minute cardio workout and then ran 4 miles. I'd like to know why the first 3 miles is always the worst. After that it isn't a problem. lol Would have run more but had to get home to do some errands. Tomorrow I have PT for my rotator cuff issue and I'm sure they won't be happy with my weights and rowing regime. This weekend we head to New Mexico to visit my in-laws. My mother-in-law is not doing well in her cancer battle and dad needs some emotional support. It's going to be hard to resist all that wonderful New Mexico mexican food!

Donna - ouch on the neuroma. I had/have one on my right foot. Those shots HURT!

exermom - I could never do a spin class. I don't like the loud music and the shouting of the instructor. I agree that they shouldn't be telling you what gear to be in, everyone is at a different level...

mollywhippet - so jealous of studio and kiln time. I'm so consumed by getting my yard cleaned up and dealing with grandkids that I haven't had any real studio time worth mentioning. I have a ton of bisque to get glazed.

Glowormin WA - hope you are feeling better soon. Everyone here is sneezing, it's high pollen season for the trees. My car is usually yellow from pollen and will be for a good month.

DJ - I can see why coming here would cut into Facebook time. :) It takes a bit to read everything. lol I gave up Facebook about four years ago and don't miss it a bit. My life is better without it.

drkatiebug - I wanna be like your mom when I'm her age. I have an aunt that is 94 and is so active she puts 20 year olds to shame.

Anne - well call that bull *rap what it is. My daughter went through a divorce a year ago and it has been anything but easy or a blessing. Necessary yes but easy no. It is never easy no matter what the situation.

Marcelyn in Houston
  • tryingtolive1
    edited March 2016
    Options
    linnellal wrote: »
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. My name is Anna and I'm 52 yr old and boy do I have a lot to lose. But I'm having a little difficulty lately as I have been physically limited. I injured my left knee last July and have been on crutches ever since. But the good news is that I went to Mayo Clinic and we have set a date for knee replacement surgery. I will be recovered just enough for summer activities. That makes me very happy. Until then I've been logging all my food religiously and I do get some ecercise.... there are 17 steps up into my apartment. Glad to have found you ladies. I already have you bookmarked
    Anna

After my mom had her knee replacement she said it was wonderful. I hope you have the same results she has had. Granted she was 70 at the time of the replacement she does more which is wonderful. She actually started mowing her grass etc cause she felt so great. Needs the other knee done now so she has slowed down again but she said she has been happy with the one that has been replaced.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Hi gals,

I have gotten a lot of gardening jobs recently, it’s spring in CA and the weeds are growing like weeds LOL . I am still walking 3 + miles a day and yoga once a week.. but this additional exercise is meaning I am hungry, I try to not eat any or not many of my exercise calories back. I am looking for a low calorie easy access (carry it with me) protein source. I am not eating “clean” but do try to stay away from some of the chemical filled lunch meat type stuff…. Anyone found something that would fill the bill?

Thanks

Kim from N. California
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Marcelyn - I don't know about leaf cutter ants, but I was working at a gal's yard today who has gone completely organic and she has red "fire ants" they make ant hills and underground trails and she has found that running a stream of boiling water into the space is "cooking" the ants and has worked really well for her...

Kim
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California ~ If it was me and I needed to carry something I would take my Oscar Meyer Natural turkey slices (I get 6 for a portion) and wrap that around some fresh spinach leaves. In the middle I would put my triangle of Wee Brie that President puts out. For quicker energy I like a mixture of granola cereal, with some walnuts and maybe some dried cranberries. I am a wee bit jealous you have spring. Today in the coastal part of Oregon the sky has opened up and its sooo rainy! Miss my time in Northern Calif.!!!
    Becca
    turning green in Oregon... lol
  • kimses2
    kimses2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - just stopping by for a quick hello.
    I've been trying to use my unemployed time productively (but am going a little stir crazy).
    I've done P90x3 on Mon/Tues/Wed. Also added in the elliptical.
    For today, 30 min P90x, 40 min elliptical....then later in the day another 30 min on the elliptical.
    Yesterday cleaned the dining room and kitchen, today cleaned out the computer room and took out 5 big bags of stuff. Hall closet gets it tomorrow.

And...someone told me about www.khanacademy.org (free classes) and was catching up on American history today. I found the short classes (videos) very interesting. Who would have thought I'd use my time off to brush up on history.

Having a bit of a plateau with my weight, which is frustrating. I tend to gain weight when I over-workout (probably because I eat more). Any plateau buster advice out there?

Loved the Bento box idea!

4755.gif

Kimses in MA

• GodMomKim
    Options
    Becca - thanks - I'll look at those at the turkey and brie at the market, I love granola but have not found one that is not too high in calories -- they all seem so high, do you have a favorite brand? - And don't be too jealous, we are still so far behind the water levels we need to get through the summer.... grrrrrr
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Oye I had a doozy of a headache today and I delayed taking my meds thinking it would just dissipate but alas it didn't. Took an Imitrex and a nap and it went away but left that fuzzy head feeling for the rest of the day. Was able to get husbands laundry done. We had eggplant parm for dinner-mine made light with significantly less sauce and CHEESE than the hubs and I sprinkle some chopped frozen spinach between my 2 slices. Watching TV then off to bed.

Did manage a few bits of exercise: from my Neuro/Spine PT

Standing Shoulder Row w/Red Band 2setsX10
    Shoulder Extension w/Red Band 2setsX10
    Standing Shoulder Horizontal Abduction 2setsX10 3lbs
    Standing Shoulder Flexion 2setsX10 3lbs
    Various Seated Neck Stretches/Holds
    Bird-dogs 2setsX10

Otherwise a quiet day.

Cheri in Fairlawn, oHIo
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Tired Joyce, Indiana – Coffee does not seem to bother me; but, put a container in my hands of Ben & Jerry’s … I’m gonna eat it until it’s gone.

Mary from Minnesota – Thanks for that tidbit of information. I hope I don’t ever have to use it on Cracker; but, you never know.

Anne from Wisconsin – The woman who told you that the break-up might have been right. You’re probably still to hurt to see it. Things happen, quite often, for a reason. Usually, when you least expect it; it will hit you like a ton of bricks and you’ll say, “Whew! I’m glad I did not go there with this man!” A break-up is rarely easy and/or pleasant. You’ve just got to accept that it is what it is. Try not to dwell on it; men usually can walk away and never turn back. But, when you are eavesdropping you should not expect that one will take what you have to say, as a ‘gift’. She overstepped her boundaries there. When my sister stopped preaching to both me and my middle sister about our lives and choices; only, then were we able to get saved, not by her trying to tell us how we were wrong. Sounds like you had the same reaction that I did when a woman accused me of treating my DYS as a 'dog' because I had him on a harness. It was that or risk having a dead child in the parking lot. I did not appreciate her opinion.

Kim – Fire Ants are a real battle. Whether you put poison out, burn them with fire, scald them with boiling water … about all you do is move them over 4 or 5 feet and then overnight you have another hill to battle. I hate it when they get into my flower bed; because until the ‘move’ it is difficult to get in and work it. You have to have a 'big pot of boiling water'; too, in order to get down to the queen.

Lenora
  • tryingtolive1
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Becca - thanks - I'll look at those at the turkey and brie at the market, I love granola but have not found one that is not too high in calories -- they all seem so high, do you have a favorite brand? - And don't be too jealous, we are still so far behind the water levels we need to get through the summer.... grrrrrr

I had a granola recipe that was more reasonable in the calorie department. If I can find it I will message you the recipe.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • deborahdoyle62
    deborahdoyle62 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    DeborahDoyle - I recently purchased some meal prep containers from Amazon, made by HomeNative Limited. I LOVE them! I'm a substitute teacher and work days are my most challenging as far as eating healthy, but these are perfect. They can go in the freezer and the microwave and the food stays separated in the three areas. I make two to four at the beginning of the week and then they're ready to go when I work. Or, if I have leftovers, I just put one together and either pop it into the refrigerator or the freezer. It couldn't be easier and I highly recommend.

Thank you so much for the ideas... It is such a good idea.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Anne from Wisconsin, I am so sorry that you were subjected to that rude woman's opinion. She probably meant well, but I'm sorry - she is an idiot who should keep her opinion to herself. The road to you-know-where is paved with good intentions.