Just eat the damn ice cream!

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Sez3199 wrote: »
    @Raynne413 and @AmazonMayan, I may dabble with the PB2 at some point, but I have to admit that I don't blend the PB in my dessert - I measure out the tablespoon and put a big gob in the center of the banana mix and then just stir it a little bit. End result is more of a PB ribbon rather than a smooth consistency. I like the surprise of a big chunk of it ;)

You're a genius!!!!!

Halo Top is 240/pint, and it's not too bad. I've only tried the vanilla and the chocolate. Pleasantly surprised. Whatever you do, DON'T get Artic Zero. *shudders*
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MamaMc3 wrote: »
    Now I want ice cream! :) I tried Halo Top last night - it was 240 calories for a pint of vanilla bean. It was pretty good, but I would rather have the real thing!

Stop the press: 240 calories for a PINT? Is that right? Or is it 240 per serve?

Yeah it's 240 a pint but I really don't recommend eating the whole pint, there were some, um... side effects. And there's definitely an aftertaste from the sweeteners (I tried the vanilla only). I weighed my servings though and there were only 3 servings or so in the pint. It was kinda weird.
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    How many grams in the each serving? Ice cream = 1/2 cups but what about grams? Your concoction shows one serving but how many grams in that serving. Just saying 1 banana, 1 tbs of peanut butter, doesn't say much or makes it easy to compare. Grams, baby, grams is what is needed. Isn't it what everybody in MFP preaches about?

If I look at your concoction, as written, it seems more healthy than the ice cream and the difference in calories is minor. It has less sodium, sugar and cholesterol, more protein, vitamin C, and potassium that the ice cream.

Yes, they are both deserts, but so are apples and oranges but they are both different kind of fruits.

1/2 cup of ice cream is anywhere from 66g to 105g or something depending on the brand. You can get 100g of Gelato for 200 calories typically. I'll take that over frozen banana any day.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 Go for it and please enjoy them. You can take the ice cream, the gelato, and the frozen banana anytime; I will not miss them.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You know, that's two shout outs for PB2 now, I've never tried it - is it as good as the real deal do you guys think?

Not as good. I used it in protein shakes and recently ran out of it so I used regular peanut butter and a blender. This had more calories but was infinitely better tasting so I just allow room for the extra calories.

Also, OP asked about other less than exciting outcomes; I was gung-ho on turkey bacon for a few years, thinking I was doing my health all kinds of favors. I finally compared it to "real" bacon and the differences are negligable enough to me that I finally went back to good ol' pork bacon.

Just eat the damn bacon! (and peanut butter! and ice cream!)

• Rabidrunner
    Rabidrunner Posts: 117 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    How many grams in the each serving? Ice cream = 1/2 cups but what about grams? Your concoction shows one serving but how many grams in that serving. Just saying 1 banana, 1 tbs of peanut butter, doesn't say much or makes it easy to compare. Grams, baby, grams is what is needed. Isn't it what everybody in MFP preaches about?

If I look at your concoction, as written, it seems more healthy than the ice cream and the difference in calories is minor. It has less sodium, sugar and cholesterol, more protein, vitamin C, and potassium that the ice cream.

Yes, they are both deserts, but so are apples and oranges but they are both different kind of fruits.

Whether you measure in cups or grams is irrelevant for the most part as long as you are measuring a serving. Why would it make a difference if the ice cream weighed 500g and had 250 calories and the banana dessert weighed 300g and had 255 calories? We're talking about two liquids here, so it's very easy to get an accurate measurement using cups. Now, if you're trying to measure your steak using a half cup you'll probably have some challenges.

Using this logic we would also not be able to measure accurately using tablespoons or teaspoons...

There are marginal differences in the nutritional panel, however keep in mind that it is fairly obvious that many of the nutrients in the ice cream panel show as "-" which I'm thinking is because they simply aren't measured - not necessarily that they aren't present. For example, calcium shows "-" but we all know that there is calcium in ice cream, so it's probably just not measured. Ergo... the other micronutrients also may just not be measured - not necessarily absent.

Yes on the lower sodium, sugar, and cholesterol - but we're talking very small differences! Also, yes on the higher protein, but again, it's a very small difference of 1.2g - that's tiny!! For the reasons stated above I'm not sure we can make comparisons on Vitamin C and potassium, though I'd be willing to agree with you that those are probably (marginally) better in my banana concoction.

I'm not saying my dessert is bad, I'm just saying that there's hardly a difference between that and the ice cream.
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You know, that's two shout outs for PB2 now, I've never tried it - is it as good as the real deal do you guys think?

Not as good. I used it in protein shakes and recently ran out of it so I used regular peanut butter and a blender. This had more calories but was infinitely better tasting so I just allow room for the extra calories.

Also, OP asked about other less than exciting outcomes; I was gung-ho on turkey bacon for a few years, thinking I was doing my health all kinds of favors. I finally compared it to "real" bacon and the differences are negligable enough to me that I finally went back to good ol' pork bacon.

Just eat the damn bacon! (and peanut butter! and ice cream!)

Mmmmmm, bacon.....

Actually another funny one you just reminded me of was my one ill-fated foray into tofu sausages. Gag. I love all kinds of food but that was truly revolting. Absolutely disgusting, never again. Just eat the damn sausage!!
  • Rabidrunner
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @Francl27 my stomach has a hard time with artificial sweeteners too, so I am unfortunately familiar with those side effects - nasty! And painful! I'll probably steer clear of this 240cal/pint witchcraft. It is intriguing though.

• Only1Golda
    Only1Golda Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Talenti is the bomb.com, I only buy it on sale. A moment of silence please for the caramel cookie crunch!
    MommyMeggo wrote: »
    I love Talenti... Caribbean Coconut- I just..... I cant. I die. <3

• MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Can't we just have both?

I luuuuurve bananas and ice cream. I've almost always got some Ben&Jerry's in my freezer. Right now it's Cinnamon Buns which clocks in at 279kcal for 100g. I'm quite willing to save up these calories for dessert sometimes.

BUT when I make my banana icecream, it IS a fair bit lower in calorie. If I use 100g banana, 5g of cocoa powder and 30g of low-fat yoghurt, I've got about 160kcal. It also adds a piece of fruit and some protein to my diet but barely any fat. AND I enjoy eating it.

So yeah, I do think one should be aware that the calories in banana ice cream can be almost the same as with "real" ice cream but if you just want another piece of fruit and if you watch what goes into your banana ice cream AND you enjoy eating it, then go ahead.

Btw: Can't wait for summer when I can get good water melons again. I often puree them, sieve out the seeds, stir in some whole blueberries and then freeze them in silicone molds. THAT is low-cal ice cream!!!
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Nice cream.

-Insert Undertale joke here-

I make nice cream 'cause I gotta use up bananas. I normally just blend up the banana by itself though, 'cause laziness.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I just had ice cream from McD's because of the title of this thread.

They just launched the Cadbury Creme Egg McFlurry over here. Hellloooo Maccas!
  • Raynne413
    Options

OMG, where are you from? LOL I could SOOO down one of those!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

I'm in Australia! But they might roll it out other places? I'm very excited :D
  • Raynne413
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »

I'm in Australia! But they might roll it out other places? I'm very excited :D

Awwwww! Not fair! :( Probably better for my waistline, though! LOL
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I love my PB2 Chocolate. LOVE LOVE IT!
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Yep - I don't have ice cream to often because it's just to calorie dense for me to be worth it.

However when I treat myself I go all out. Full fat ice cream, my favorite is called cupcake king from this local place. It's like a cupcake, and ice cream, all in one amazing dish (never been a fan of cones!). Or maybe some blue moon, ugh now I want ice cream.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options

giphy.gif
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »
    Yep - I don't have ice cream to often because it's just to calorie dense for me to be worth it.

However when I treat myself I go all out. Full fat ice cream, my favorite is called cupcake king from this local place. It's like a cupcake, and ice cream, all in one amazing dish (never been a fan of cones!). Or maybe some blue moon, ugh now I want ice cream.

Oh that sounds delish...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »
    Yep - I don't have ice cream too often because it's just too calorie dense for me to be worth it.

image.png?w=500&c=1
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, the serving size in your banana/peanut butter thingie is about 50% larger. Plus your recipe, while calorie-dense, is also more nutrient-dense. So I mean, maybe the difference between the two is NOT negligible.

Bananas aren't the best in terms If nutrient density. 10% RDA of potassium and Vitamin C I think, and a few others in the 5-7% range for one. Probably better than regular ice cream but not enough to go and try to meet your micros with for the amount of calories accompanying them, so not really a reason to choose one over the other.