How and why carbs and a high carb intake will keep you fat!!

Options
JDMPWR
JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
I see tons of people on MFP complaining about either lack of weight loss even under a deficit OR lack of muscle growth/fat loss.

How to say it, have you ever seen a fat skinny person? Their weight is in check but they have no definition at all and are for the lack of a better term shaped like an "Ameba"" well one of the biggest reasons is people are doing cardio with a very high carb intake and low protein intake so the body starts to feed on muscle versus fat so you start to lose overall size but still are chubby with no definition and you may ask WHY does the human body eat muscle, well it's actually easier for the human body to convert muscle into energy versus fat, as the body needs to apply the least amount of energy into converting something into energy.

I think this video will help people further understand why I personally think as well as TONS of others in the nutrition world think that your protein level should be as high if not higher then your carb intake. MFP's default carb intake is through the roof and it may work in your weight loss journey but it hardly helps in getting a toned physique like most members on here are looking for.

Please watch this video to gain better knowledge on carbs and how they affect your body

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se32MuJCFXk&feature=related

Replies

• TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • princess4mimi
    Options
    BUMP!!! Thanks alot:)
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    bump for later...
  • donnab88
    donnab88 Posts: 22
    Options
    Can you tell me what the ratios shoudl be then?
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    As a long distance runner, a higher ratio of carbs to protein in my diet would be a bit of a disaster.
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Carbs won't make you fat if you have a proper caloric intake..............
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what your definition of a (ratio or whatever other form you prefer) of a high carb, low protein diet is.

I find these generalities without context confusing.
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Great Post!!
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    donna - while I am NOT a nutritionist, the general rule is half to a full gram of protein per pound of your ideal body weight. Example: I'm 5'4, figuring my ideal weight at about 160 (I am very broad). So I generally shoot for a MINIMUM of 80g of protein a day. I generally try to stay under HALF of that in grams of carbs, so again, for me, that puts me between 40 and 50. It may seem low, but it works! This allows me to not only lose fat, but gain muscle. (I have regular body scans done to determine just how much loss/gain there is).
  • Clonekuh
    Clonekuh Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    hooray protein!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A good ratio for a normal person, is 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat. MFP is set to 55% carbs. You can reset it.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Carbs won't make you fat if you have a proper caloric intake..............

What?
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    I'm curious what your definition of a (ratio or whatever other form you prefer) of a high carb, low protein diet is.

I find these generalities without context confusing.

40/40/20 protein.carb/fat is what most recommend
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    donna - while I am NOT a nutritionist, the general rule is half to a full gram of protein per pound of your ideal body weight. Example: I'm 5'4, figuring my ideal weight at about 160 (I am very broad). So I generally shoot for a MINIMUM of 80g of protein a day. I generally try to stay under HALF of that in grams of carbs, so again, for me, that puts me between 40 and 50. It may seem low, but it works! This allows me to not only lose fat, but gain muscle. (I have regular body scans done to determine just how much loss/gain there is).

general rule is .75 up to 1.5 grams per lbs dependent on what you are trying to obtain. The FDA says .5 and this has been disproved by about everyone and their brother.
  • blowtotheskull
    Options
    Please remember that simply upping protein, lowering carbs is not sufficient to get toned, slim etc. A calorie is a calorie: eat too many and you'll put on weight. What's more important is that you match diet to your actual needs (according to your exercise regime etc).

Protein is highly satisfying, and there's research which shows that people following a high protein diet may find it easier to lose weight because they actually eat less. But we're not talking massive percentages.

But bear in mind - people who do a lot of serious cardio work (eg runners, cyclist, rowers, triathletes) will consume more carbs than protein. And they're not "fat skinny" or whatever. They train hard and eat sensibly.

Think about east African distance runners (from Kenya and Ethiopia) - they consume only approx 10% calories in their diet. I've yet to see a fat one.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on what type of body/health your going for. Like someone said they are a runner and that particular proportion would be disastrous to them. I eat a fair share of bread ...try to keep it wheat or whole grain. I haven't had a problem thus far...and don't suspect I will because I keep under my allotted carbs on MFP. I don't even have to worry about it, I don't think I've ever gone over it.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    ^^^This is implied.

Runners will burn off so many cals because of the constant endurance plus their metabolism becomes more efficient as their lbm to bf ratio changes but at some point even they can get fat from too many carbs.

Someone that is doing no cardio and just walking briskly will not obtain a defined body with a high carb intake and low protein.

A body builder that eats tons of carbs and no fat will be bloated and smooth versus defined.

I can go on and on
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    I think it all depends on what type of body/health your going for. Like someone said they are a runner and that particular proportion would be disastrous to them. I eat a fair share of bread ...try to keep it wheat or whole grain. I haven't had a problem thus far...and don't suspect I will because I keep under my allotted carbs on MFP. I don't even have to worry about it, I don't think I've ever gone over it.

Please re read my post as your statement does not hold true to people that are looking for a good amount of muscle definition or muscle growth.
  • sbrown6
    sbrown6 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    A good ratio for a normal person, is 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat. MFP is set to 55% carbs. You can reset it.

How do I reset the ratio?