WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• imar0se
    imar0se Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this community and to logging my meals. I've seen some improvements in my food choices and lost 10 pounds in February. I'm here looking for motivation and encouragement to lose another 10 pounds every month until the end of the year to get me back to my ideal weight.

Right now, I'm just trying to make it through the day without mindlessly eating to deal with stress.

Thanks for sharing your goals. I feel connected to many of you already.
  • TheRealMsWolf
    TheRealMsWolf Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Marcelynn, I adore New Mexico and its food!

Beth, glad you are back but wish life was not so hard right now.

I am so tired of gaining and losing the same pound. Was hoping to hit the Y tonight but feel like my body is fighting an oncoming cold. At least I am under 1200 today.

I hit upon a winner of a dinner idea tonight!

Heat up homemade chicken broth. At the same time cook up some brown basmati rice. Preheat the broiler and broil 4 boneless chicken thighs sprinkled with a bit of this Trader Joe's Indonesian salsa. In the lower rack broil up half a large onion chopped thickly, some broccoli florets and a red pepper also chopped thickly. Cook the veggies until they have a bit of crisp but not too much.
    When the chicken is done chop or shred it too. I wanted it chunky.

Bring everything to the table separately and let people fill their own bowls with what they want. Top with more salsa. This was the first time I bought this stuff and it is spicy! But we loved it.
    Also hoping the broth and spice will help ward off the cold.

I did put a bit of oil and salt on the veggies, but otherwise it was pretty virtuous. And the veggies were cooked but far from mushy.

Betty

Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Sorry, that's what instantly came to mind. :p I think I spend too much time around kids. It sounds delicious to me!
  • DLS1029
    DLS1029 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Good news here!!! For one thing, the sun is trying to shine! But the best thing about this morning is - the scales are starting to move in the downward direction! Happy dance!!!

Happy Saturday everyone!!!!

Donna in WV
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,764 Member
    Options
    Good morning! ... Pity party is over and I'm back!

Karen ... Spring is usually late in WNY but this winter was weird, no ice on the lakes ... Forecast is for springlike weather the next two weeks so we shall see. Hope the crud is short lived for you ..

Cheating ... Nothing is off limits for me but I do have trigger foods that bear close watching.

Mindy ... I'm impressed with the choices you've made regarding your finances!

KJ ... Hope you stop coughing soon. Sad how adults can mess up their children's lives.

Lisa ... Tough decision to make, but what you've shared with us in the past indicates you're one of the few who could not only survive but thrive in such a place. Your husband is an exceptionally well grounded man to consider an option like yours.

So, yesterday I made a trek to several stores to buy food I know will help me achieve my goals. This morning I started some batch cooking of healthier choices for breakfast and lunch ... I use the freezer a lot.

And then Younger son approached me this morning and asked if I would help him become more fit. Concedes he can't do it alone. My boy and I started this health journey together 3 years ago and he's the reason we have gym memberships. His health had derailed him multiple times ... But today we've agreed to buddy up again!! You have no idea how I've longed for him to reach this point again ... We are off to the gym at 2:00 ... And he's asked that I only bring healthy food in the house ... He wants to eat better. Beat him to it with my shopping yesterday!

Welcome new ladies!!

Beth near Buffalo

• linnellal
    linnellal Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Just stopping through. It's my 25th day anniversary on MFP! And it feels so good. Today I'm going to a film festival where they are showing a film that was made about my mother's work in bringing 100 students from apartheid era South Africa, an area that later became Namibia, and brought them here to the Lutheran colleges to study. An opportunity that they would never have had without her help. This all happened when I was in high school and all I really knew about it was that she was gone to Africa for weeks at a time. Now I get to hear the real story. We lost Mom to Alzheimer's three years ago. There was so much that I missed. Anyway. Have to get ready. Ciao ladies.
    Anna in the beautiful bluffs of Northeast Iowa
  • mtowne002
    mtowne002 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    iPads charged..here's the pics of the China..service for 12 of Spode Cowslip..including dinner, salad, bread, and dessert plates tea cup and I think saucers or were those the dessert plates per setting...sugar and creamer gravy boat soup tourine, two covered vegetable fancy dishes and a turkey platter? Yoiks! Can't imagine how I would mail all this nor what I would put for a shipping charge1rjlmu5slpox.jpg
    u9k1otokk5fx.jpg
    8mjb84872cgk.jpg
  • mtowne002
    Options
    And an unusual little four setting set of FireKing Swirl 22k gold rimmed milk glassgp4fxj6ufuhq.jpg
    9c6mlqg6v03x.jpg
    n9gr5vtxtvlk.jpg
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,071 Member
    Options
    DH appointment went well. Progress in that cancer spread stopped and tumors starting to shrink. He will have his next scan in three months. Doctor told us this is a long process. DH seems to be doing better with side effects. We needed this good news! Thanks for continued prayers.

DS getting help again. The hard part is getting him in for help because when he gets sick he refuses to get help. Unfortunately the Hipaa laws in this situation makes it even more difficult for him to get the care he needs. Because of how difficult it was this last time to get him in for help and DH with his health problems DS will be finding another place to live when he is well enough. Thank you for continued prayers.

I watched a show about the Brain last night. When they did an experiment at a restaurant with it having subdued lighting and quiet versus loud and distracting. They found the loud and distracting environment caused the diners to eat about 30 per-cent more at an all you can it. They attributed it to being aware and noticing your bodies signals that you are full. Interesting.

:heart: Margaret
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    10,000 Kettlebell Swing Challenge

Goblet squat-3X7 acts 25
    Russian kettle bell swing-34X 15 X 25

Today I decided to do more reps per set. So I did 34 sets of 15 swings. Total of 510 swings.

Challenge total 2010 swings.

We are laying down the wood floor in our bedroom this weekend so I may be MIA most of the time!

Have a great day everyone!

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • mtowne002
    Options
    Had a really hard week at work last week. Good but really hard. We are understaffed in the cashier position currently combined w some higher than normal call outs made for some very energetic shifts. I had an amazing shift on Wed however. At Whole Foods we run fund raisers for a few charities my favorite of which is running now. It's called Whole Planet Foundation. The funds collected go to mostly impoverished women but is not gender discriminating more women just apply...mostly in third world countries but also across every continent ...to get micro business loans so they can work their way out of poverty..like the purchase of a bicycle or a refrigerator to aid a woman w a small herd of goats so she can use her excess milk to make and deliver goat cheese to a larger market farther from her village..one hundred percent of funds donated go to these people with zero taken out by WF for anything PLUS WF matches the donations by roughly sixty percent which is unheard of amongst charity foundations. I contribute a small amount ok five dollars out of every pay check..and truly believe in the integrity and worthiness of this program...
    Anyway WF recognizes top daily donations collectors and Wednesday I was it! I doubled their record ever for a daily tally. I normally hate having to ask people for contributions and am glad we run this drive only two or three times a year..but I do truly believe in this one.
    Sorry for the spiel..I'm in no way looking for donations girls just happy that I did something worthy well. It was a good feeling.
    Looking forward to today and tomorrow's shifts as they are only five hour ones.

CAROL YOUR BRAVERY IN DATING BORING OR NOT CONTINUES TO PUT ME IN AWE

THANK YOU TO ALL WHO HAVE GIVEN ME ENCOURAGEMENT LATELY

CONGRATS TERRI ON ANOTHER LOSS!

As far as "cheats" go I pretty much clear every day usually w a soda..I also rarely eat enough protein, I usually go over on my sugar be a soda and a piece of fruit and my six cough drops daily..I have asthma badly and a simple cough drop can prevent an episode at times..am always low on my fiber and my iron intake and am over my calories by a lot usually once or twice a week..BUT.. I do have stellar days and when I have a less than stellar day and feel disappointed in myself I look at the nutritional records over the course of a whole week and most of my bad choices mixed right in w all of my good choices average out to roughly good levels on most categories. So I'm happy with that. It's the big picture for me. And it's working...so HOORAY!

Off to get ready for work. TALLY HO.

MINDY
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Tally ho, right back at you mindy, i think it is great that you are living the more frugal life and still put your talents and donate$ toward charities you believe in, good karma...

beth that is great that your son came to you ready to start toward better health. You both can encourage each other, way to go!

My dd is still working towards getting better, cant seem to hold the antibiotic pill for.any length of time, we will have to get a different script when the lab results are in.

Proud of myself for.walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes after a week off ffom gym. I always overeat when i exercise hard, more important for.me to mind my portions :#
    Karen from ny
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,145 Member
    Options
    Margaret- Great news about your DH! We will keep you your DH and DS in our prayers. Very interesting about eating at a buffet.

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say that my DS#2 sent me a card for Mother's Day. :drinker: I should think it's DDIL behind it, but I'll take it. :bigsmile: He thanked me for all we have done for them recently. Aaaaahhhhhh! <3

DH watching his team on TV, playing the top of the table. He has needed a couple of beers. Draw at half time.

Heather UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    didn't make it to the gym this afternoon but walked for almost an hour so I am over 10,000 ,but we are going to Carrabba's for dinner.. and I have been starving I guess because of the exercise.. I am at 1000 calories already so I dont know how I will work this out.. but will do my darndest to stay as close to 1200 as possible
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    WOW, Heather.I think you just gave me a huge Ah ha moment. I didn't realize that all the problems I have with ll that is going on with Charlie's health and him basically not wanting to do anything to improve it could be so detrimental to se and my weight loss and general well being. I need to do a lot of thinking about this. I have let his actions be very detrimental to what I want to be doing for me in the past like him influencing me to stop going to church although that wasn't his intent. He was just taking advantage of what I was allowing myself to do.

Had a leftover meat loaf sandwich sandwich today. Love it and just takes me back to a wonderful childhood memory. Charlie had never heard of it and couldn't see at all why i would want to eat a piece of cold meatloaf. Pizza or chicken, yes but no cold meatloaf. But for me,, double yummmm.

Got to go grocery shopping. I am now below 200 again. I think it may be that I have avoided my chocolate for awhile.

Joyce, Indiana
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    nccarolb wrote: »
    His profile says he is 5'7". Not!! I'm 5'7" and I was taller than he was. In age, he is two years older than I am but he looks, dresses, and acts like an "old" man.
    Oh Carol, I hate that. I'm 5'11" and sick of meeting 6'1" guys who are shorter than me. :#
    And why are middle-aged men sooo old? I'm sorry. I'm glad the other guy is at least fun. Good luck!

Larisa in Seattle
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Afternoon Ladies,

CarolGA, I hope your oral surgery went well and without pain. (later) eeewwwww, I detest licorice too!!!

Cheri, good for you on sticking with MFP and logging your food. It is easy to get discouraged when we don’t lose but never giving up is important. Fingers crossed for your hubby.

Deedle, welcome back. I don’t ever argue with my scale when it tells me I’ve lost. I’m looking forward to getting to know you. BTW, on the BF that you lost was that a “boy” or “best”? Just curious.

Katla, love your scale analogy that it was like “A magic 8 Ball”.asking-smiley-emoticon.png

Anna, a huge CONGRATS on the loss. You are so right about the knee surgery recovery going better without excess weight. Keep it up!!!

Penny, sorry your hubby will be late but hope you both enjoy your dinner.pink-happy-heart-smiley-emoticon.png

Heather, how I wish I had a hollow leg now. Lol My nick name when I was young was “Olive Oil”. She was Popeye’s skinny girlfriend.

Lisa, good luck on making your decision about the job. Sounds like lots to weigh out. If you do take it, we might just have to meet in the middle to get together sometimes. Raleigh is just a few hours from here.

Kim, your potato sounds yummy. I have slowly learned that things like that are just as good with way less cheese than I used to use. (later) I hope Levi is okay!!

IrishTerri, I like your new profile picture. I can’t remember if I told you that before. Heck, I can’t remember a lot of things. Maybe I took Nexium for too long?crying-laughter-smiley-emoticon.gif

Kay, sounds like another successful shopping trip for your Mom. I’m glad you explained about the button because the question had entered my mind. I do have some friends that can’t sew on a button but I still like them. Lol

Char, welcome. You’ve come to the right place for support and encouragement.

Keepmovin’ and Mardill, welcome to you as well. Please tell us about yourselves to help us get to know you. We also ask that you sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific.

Gloria, I’m the same way on challenges. I only compete against me to always try to do better.

Heather, such true words you wrote about this journey. Thank you.

KL, how sweet that your little one cried when he had to go home.

Sylvia, so so sorry you are getting sick again!!! Please get better fast!!! ((((Hugs)))) sick-in-bed.gif

Kimses, sorry the scale went up! Bummer. It is always a good idea to pay more attention to the food than anything else because that is where we get the fuel that adds the weight.

CarolNC, sorry about the less than exciting date. I hear what you are saying. Once you know that it has already gone “nowhere” it would be nice if you could just cut your losses and go. Have fun tomorrow. ((((Hugs))))

Cheri, way to go on more weight loss. Keep up the great work.

Imarose, welcome. Great loss. Come often and join right in.

Beth, great news about your son. Good luck to you both.

Anna, how cool to see the film about your mom’s work. Enjoy.

Mindy, beautiful china. Are you listing it online? I’d think you’d want to know the shipping costs ahead of time.

Margaret, so happy you got positive news on DH. Sending prayers for him and your DS and especially for you. (((Hugs)))

Karen, give yourself a pat on the back for that workout. It is a bummer how hard it is after only being away for a week. Good for you.

m1277.gifto any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Some of you have been talking about how much more you eat when you exercise more. The past two days I am starving about an hour after I finish exercising. I actually think it’s because I have some different muffins I’m eating for breakfast rather than my usual bran muffins. But I have also increased my exercise and now wonder if that could be why? Oh well. Last night we went to the Moose Lodge and I expected to see lots of my line dancing buddies but none of them were there. I found out that one of our ladies that is in a singing group was opening at a club across town and most of the ladies went there to support her. Had a good night even without line dancing.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. good-afternoon-smiley-emoticon.gif]

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Cheri, Way to GO!! Doing the happy dance with you. Bless your heart, I'm sure there are some rough times in your situation. Big (((hugs))).

Donna in WV - Cudos and happy dance for you too.

Dang ladies, I'm gonna get worn out you all are doing so great. Hey wait maybe if I keep dancing for everyone else the scale will go down for me too, ha! :)

Janetr OKC
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Margaret ~ So glad you got some good news for your DH. I don't know your son's situation but hope he will be able to get help.

Mindy ~ I know you might think this is scary, but, I have sold some fine dinnerware on Craig's List. You just always arrange to meet the buyers in a public place or if they come to your home have plenty of people around and don't let them inside. Another way to sell it is put it in a consignment shop. My DH is an antique dealer and makes regular visits to a couple of consignment shops to find the smalls that he deals with. The only kicker there is that you have to pay a percentage to the shop for the sale.

Joyce ~ I love meat loaf sandwiches.

We went to the 6 yr old grand son's birthday party today. They invited a bunch of children from his kindergarten class to come and play and have pizza. Boy, was it a circus. But, they looked like they were having so much fun. They had lots of outside toys so all had something to keep them busy.

Carol

• MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Today I decided to do more reps per set. So I did 34 sets of 15 swings. Total of 510 swings.

That is awesome. <3

Larisa in Seattle