Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Hi all, just checking in. I went to the gym this evening and did my hour on the treadmill at a steady moderate pace, but my heart really wasn't in it. I just wanted to be home snuggled up with my dog, which is where I am now. He has a pulled muscle in his front leg It's getting better, but he is the king of sad puppy eyes and he looks so pitiful. He just melts my heart. Totally ruins my tough old broad image.

I had to drop a serious soda and sweet tea habit too. I haven't found an artificial sweetener that doesn't bother my stomach, or taste awful to me, so diet drinks are not an option. I drink a lot of iced tea. I make it with about a half a cup of sugar in a gallon of tea, but I used to use more than twice that much. I'm willing to live with those calories in order to have a beverage I enjoy drinking. I allow myself a soda once in a while, but only maybe once a week.

Not much else new around here. I'll just go back to my job of being a dog bed for a while longer.

• Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Happy Thursday. I am hoping for a Two hour delay tomorrow due to snow.

I Did get a good swim in tonight so that was helpful.

Hope everyone has a great Friday.
  • srorille
    srorille Posts: 1 Member
    Hello everyone!!!
    So glad to have found this board . I finally decided to start caring about me on Sunday after putting on a shirt I haven't worn in a few months and it didn't fit. Its time to stop putting off what needs to be done today! I have been doing great all week! Tonight I am struggling I have the munchies but I have not caved nto them. Here's to all of us caring about ourselfs!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Welcome to new folks!

@laurie-- we were supposed to get 5-8 inches Monday night and my colleagues and I were convinces we would have a delayed start Tuesday. Turned out we only got about an inch or so, so had to get up at the normal early hour. :( I hope you get your delay and the weather isn't too nasty.

@celtik-- half my life is spent as a dog bed. LOL! What kind of dog do you have? My Gunner is a 95 lb boxer/shepherd mix, so sometimes he doubles as a body pillow for me.

@badnoodle-- I have to really be in the mood for soup to eat it as my meal, so I get what you're saying.

@robin-- love the post!

@clinsky-- As a northerner, I don't understand "sweet tea" and grew up drinking unsweetened tea. Then, about 10 years ago my DH and I were road tripping back from Memphis. I was really cranky from all the travel, and for whatever reason we had no beverages in the car. We were on a stretch of highway in Arkansas where there were no convenient places to stop for a drink. When we finally saw a McDonald's, I went through the drive-thru and ordered a large iced tea. I was parched and when I got the straw in and took a big long sip, I almost spit it out! I had no idea that in the south, tea automatically comes with a ton of sugar in it. Although sometimes we add sugar or sweetener to our tea in Chicagoland, I'd never had it in the volume that creates that hideously sweet concoction. LOL! I was so angry that my tea was "ruined" by all that sugar--my husband had to work especially hard not to laugh at my wrath. It made the next 50 miles quite "fun" until we could stop again, but now it's a funny story we tell.

Thursday Truth:
    I had a meeting after school and they catered in Mexican food. It was delicious, but I definitely ate way too much! Also, didn't meet my protein goal or get my veggie. I had lettuce and tomato on my taco, but I don't think it's really fair to count that. LOL

Grading Goals:
    1. 28/41 AP essays
    2. x/59 JRP thesis explanations

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 2 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: x/2
    I will run an 8k three times: x/3

Stretch legs after each run = 1/1

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 2/31
    salad or veggies 2/31

You vs Year Challenge:
    89k done/ 911k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner NOT DONE
    Wed-- walk gunner DONE + gym DONE
    Thurs-- meeting
    Fri-- walk gunner + gym
    Sat-- walk gunner
    Sun-- rest day
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    Good Morning.

@Karen ~LOL at the sweet tea. As you know I grew up in NY, my grandmother came to visit often and she couldn’t believe that a waitress at a restaurant we were in many, many years ago didn’t know what (a) iced tea was and (b) what “sweet” tea was so they brought her hot tea, a glass of ice, and sugar. :lol: Of course, now I’m here in Texas and restaurants give you a choice of sweet or unsweet—I’ve never liked sweet tea, so always ask for unsweet. :wink:

@celtikgirl ~I know how you feel about being a dog bed, I’m a cat bed and apparently a tree at times. I have a 15-pound Maine Coon, who thinks shes a dog and just loves to snuggle. :blush:

@Laurie and Karen~Snow?! We’re having such a weird winter here, no bad weather and warm temps (fingers crossed that doesn’t come back to bite me, it is still March). I think the trees are confused, my Bradford Pear tree is blooming its beautiful white flowers already (that I’m allergic to by the way :wink:). I think the bluebonnets will be early this year.

March Goals:
    Continue with PT twice/week
    Bike outside or at gym at least twice week

March Challenge:
    3/31 Veggies
    PT—2/10
    Bike—x/10

AFM~I haven’t made it to the gym yet this week to bike due to late PT appointments and work, hope to go tomorrow if my calendar doesn’t fill up too fast. I’m starting to look at cruises for next year. I had my heart set on tropical, but have found myself seeking out Alaska—again. :flushed: I’ve run across a different itinerary so would see some places I haven’t seen yet. We need to book soon so we can get cabin we want. Tonight I’m getting together with a good friend, she raises/shows quarter horses and has a new baby—so going to love on the new baby and then we’re going to HH—I’ll try to remember to take a pic of the new foal. :heart:

Regarding the soda habit, when I was in my late 20s I was a Diet Pepsi addict—one day I just quit drinking it altogether. I don’t drink anything other than water, black coffee, or green tea now. I may have a soda once or twice a month but it’s usually this organic ginger ale I found at a local health food store.
  • celtikgirl
    @skinnyjeanzbound Porter Baldwin is a Jack Russell Schnauzer. (Yes, he is so ornery he needs two names. I need enough syllables to properly express my exasperation.) He's almost 2 years old probably about the same size as Kah68's cat. We also have an eleven year old Cavalier King Charles Dachshund named Gimli because he is a hairy little dwarf. For some reason I can never find doggie swag at the pet store with pictures of those particular breeds.

I got mugged by a bagel and cappuchino at Panera this morning during a meeting. Guess it will be grass and twigs for me the rest of the day.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Good morning all. Just got home from the gym. Did some arm workouts and then a circuit of the cardio machines that the trainer suggested. Start with 5 min on the treadmill, then 5 on the arc trainer, then 5 on the recumbent bike and then end on the treadmill for at least 5 more or more if I want. The arc trainer is a new piece of equipment at my gym and I am quickley developing a love hate relationship with it. 5 min totally kicks my butt but The workout I feel in my glutes and thighs has me super happy. Otherwise today is a nice afternoon of housework. Got the dogs walked this morning thank goodness cause the rain has arrived and the weather man says it isnt going anywhere. My daughter is going out of town this weekend so just me and the hubby home. Thinking maybe I will see if he is up to going out to dinner. He is just so tired all the time with the way his company is pilling everyhting on this year. We just keep saying it is just this year and the rewards in the long run should be worth it if he survives lol. I do as much as I can to eleviate things and spoil him when he is home so he can just rest and relax. Well I best get busy. Have a great day everyone. :):)
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    I am a mess today ... Got up early and went to the lab for my blood work to be done, then had breakfast at the diner next door to the collection site, and then had a haircut at the beauty parlor next door to the diner ... and then went to the postoffice and then to get the car washed and finally to home where it was lunch time when had the left-overs from breakfast. But then what happened? I saw the angel food cake sitting on the counter ... it was one of the 'free' products at my grocery store this week when you bought a chuck roast. Oh ... just one piece won't hurt ... yep! Now you guessed it ... the whole 10oz cake is gone to Niki tummy heaven, and Niki is nodding off with an afternoon suger dump. So ... today will be a zilch on veggies as well as on protein, calories at goal, and exercise of any sort ... I'm just falling asleep at the keyboard as I write this ...
    .... now, what was that motto that I'm trying to live by in 2016 ... something, something focus something .
    Niki
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    I'm proud of myself today: I cooked an actual breakfast. I ate that dang soup, and figured out a diet-friendlyThanksgiving Dinner sandwich. And I didn't take the building elevator even once.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Good thoughts @RobinsEgg

Do any of you exercise in the pool without actually swimming or being a part of an organized water aerobics class? I have an allergy to my own sweat, which is the most annoying thing, and it makes working out tough because I get hives. It occurs to me that a great solution would be using the pool at gym, but I don't know how to swim, and there's no classes. Does anyone have some tips on what exercises you do on your own in the pool? Thanks!
  • Nikion901
    Good thoughts @RobinsEgg

Do any of you exercise in the pool without actually swimming or being a part of an organized water aerobics class? I have an allergy to my own sweat, which is the most annoying thing, and it makes working out tough because I get hives. It occurs to me that a great solution would be using the pool at gym, but I don't know how to swim, and there's no classes. Does anyone have some tips on what exercises you do on your own in the pool? Thanks!

The Y that I had a gym membership has a pool and I took a water exercise class one time. It was either water aerobics or water yoga. You didn't go into the water above your shoulders, more like between your bust and shoulders. There was also a walking in water program where certain lanes of the pool were reserved during specific hours of certain days for individual lane work in the pool. Some people walked, others did laps. ...
    ... So ... you don't need to know how to swim to use a pool for exercise. But it sure does help if you learn how to float ... and (LOL) I have enough body fat that I float really easily ... my problem is hoisting myself up out of the water onto the steps to climb out of the pool ... all of a sudden the bouancy of the water drops away and I'm left hoisting my body weight up them! Hard Work!!!
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    @toots I do water aerobics in the summer. I am a non-swimmer, too. We do a lot of walking, skipping, leaping, sideways, backwards, etc. We also use water noodles for resistance for upper body. You can also hold onto the side and use a noodle for resistance for your legs. They also have foam dumbbells that are made for water. I'm not sure where you would get them. If you have a noodle for buoyancy, you can also do planks and side planks in the water. I haven't looked, but I wonder if there might be videos on YouTube. Good luck. Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Karen I did not get he delay on Friday, it snowed but the streets were only wet, the snow was on the grass. All the teachers were bummed.

Kelley, yes we got snow in March which was not usual since some of our worst storms come during this month. The warm weather is suppose to return on Monday, of course it will be too late to enjoy a outdoor bike ride this weekend.

Toots-water walking, jogging is great exercise. Also they have exercise belts at the pool that you use to help you float, so you can do crunches on back and sides. Water between waist and chest deep is a great place to start, make sure the pool is cool instead of warm since you can get hot exercising in a pool.

JT - I like the ARC trainer as well and it will kick your butt. There are a variety of workouts you can do on that machine. Enjoy.

Well I did eat out 3/7 days so an improvement over last week. I made some good choices and others bad but it will be okay.

When it comes to iced tea, I don't like unsweet tea even if I add sugar to it. I prefer sweet tea if not available then I will drink water. Soda is a last resort option these days.

I did a recovery run today and tomorrow I will swim and bike. Back into training mode for a triathlon and the upcoming 8k run. Still have residual stiffness in my ankle but it is doing better and I can run. My knee is still bruised but healing.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday.
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Just a quick post to update my goals. It was gorgeous here today, got out this afternoon for a bike ride--didn't want to do too much the first time on it in four months, so tried to avoid hilly areas and rode only about 30-minutes. Felt great, but my quads are still screaming at me. :lol: I think I'll know tomorrow how my Achilles handled it.

@jtconst (Tammy)~The ARC trainer is one of my favorite cardio machines at the gym! :wink:

March Goals:
    Continue with PT twice/week
    Bike outside or at gym at least twice week

March Challenge:
    5/31 Veggies
    PT—2/10
    Bike—1/10
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Thanks for all the information guys!
  • celtikgirl
    Stopping by to share today's victory. On a whim I went in to old navy and tried on some jeans. Some of the jeans I tried on were actually too big!

Then I went next door to Marshall's and was able to button and zip a pair of size 16 capris that did NOT come from the fat lady rack. They were a little snugger than a 52 year old grandmother should wear, but they were on!

I haven't worn non plus size clothes in at least 20 years, probably longer.
  • Dance_Nina_Bee
    Dance_Nina_Bee Posts: 4 Member
    edited March 2016
    Hello, new to these discussions. Nina here. How's is everyone? I need you now. So hello. I still need to lose over 100 lb. This life time journey is extremely hard when you go off track.

I know what to do. I've done it before. But I'm not motivated to do it. After losing 160 lb, I now gained 20 back. They feel like the worst 20 lb I've ever gained in the past. I feel heavy, aches and just gross. I want to do something about it, just don't know why I'm so weak? Like I'm spiralling out of control.

All want to do is eat, even when I'm not really hungry. Then I get scared to eat because I'll want more. So then I don't eat until I figure it out, then by that time, I'm starving and will attack any food. I'm tired of watching every morsel that goes in my mouth. What I did to get here, isn't satisfying me anymore.

My cravings for bad food is getting outta hand...and right into my mouth! Lol no really, it's crazy. How can I psycho-analyze and know myself and patterns so well, but feel like I'm so out of touch at the same time?
  • Lauriek70
    celtickgirl- Congrats on the smaller size, that is a great accomplishment.

Nina- Welcome to the thread. Your body has just undergone a huge lost of 160lbs and it is starting to fight back since it preferred the old way. So don't give up and don't let your emotions take control. First off how did you lose the weight- a diet plan or sensible eating, life long change or a short term solution. The answers will matter because the bottom line is you need to learn to eat correctly for the long term since this is a never ending battle. You can also change up your routine and your eating habits. Such as spreading out snacks over the course of the day but make them healthy. Also your body could be craving a certain nutrient that is found in the junk food we love to eat. Try to figure out what it is that your body needs. I found two articles on regaining weight that we have lost and they both provide helpful information and suggestion for this topic. Don't give up the journey even through your body is challenging you right now. You will figure this out and remember we all go through periods were life get complicated and those complication often reveal themselves in stress and the release of different hormones. Good luck and I hope the articles help.

http://www.eatthis.com/reasons-you-gain-weight-back-after-losing-it

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/36716808/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/when-you-lose-weight-gain-it-all-back/#.VtzhXHjFvR0

Kelley- So happy that you were able to get outside to ride your bike today. Smart move taking an easy bike ride. It was to cold here for me to ride today.

As I mention to Kelley, it was cold here today but I did hit the gym then the pool today. The spin bike was good even through my quads were not happy- something to do with the run yesterday and climbing Friday night. The swim felt good and lasted longer than I had planned but at least I swam over 2000 yds today so that is an accomplishment.

Right now, I am thinking about the articles I linked above and my own struggle with weight coming back on. This process has been on-going for some time and it seems like I will never get over this hurdle. When I look back on the past year, I realize how much stress I have been under between my dad being sick and in a nursing home to dying, helping my mom, work and knowing a co-worker will be leaving, a friend who had surgery and is still recovering and on and on and on so that the cycle does not stop. Now, I am thinking that my body is retaining the water as a way to handle stress. My eating has not really changed and my active days have changed slightly but I keep plugging away. So therefore, I need to find different ways to manage my stress and not add anymore to it. Easier said than done I know but I am not sure what else to do about it.

Goals for the week
    Sunday- Bike (spin) and swim
    MOnday- rest day and dinner out ugh due to class and meeting a friend
    Tuesday-gym- run
    Wednesday- walk outside I hope (Meeting after work)
    Thursday-trainer session yeah
    Friday- Climbing
    Saturday- gym or bike or hike

I hope everyone has a great day.
  • Nikion901
    @Dance_Nina_Bee - Well, I am 35 years older than you are ... and I still often struggle with exactly the same issues as you describe. I've also gone through the same self-flagellation that you are engaging in right now ... and I want to tell you ... stop it!

Don't be afraid to eat Nina, be afraid to eat the foods that you know from experience have the affect on you of derailment from your path.

One more thought ... perhaps you are just plum tuckered out from the long stretch of dieting ... maybe it's time you just stopped dieting and ate to maintain the weight you are at right now. That doesn't give you liscense to go back to over eating ... it just means eating at a level that holds your weight where it is. That takes a skill set all its own to manage ... and it's something you have to learn to do anyway ... so maybe now is the time to celebrate your 140 pound loss and see how well you can keep it there ... within 5 pounds of weight fluctuation. Then, when you body gets used to the new input and settles in you can go on another extended cut. In the meantime, focus on your activity diary and on being as active as you can possibly manage to be every day.
    Good luck
    I'm Niki on here, but my family calls me Nina

• Dance_Nina_Bee
    Dance_Nina_Bee Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you Lauriek70 ! It's a relief to hear something back about this. Thanks again, really. This helps to feel not so alone about it.