SWaT Walking Group - June

Options

Replies

• jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,274 Member
    Options
    I arrived at my sister's at 6:45 pm. I did the drive in one day and didn't get sleepy. Played my music really loud and just kept driving. Went through a monsoon in Wisconsin but then it was sunny and nice in the upper Peninsula of MI and crossing the bridge. Nice to be here.
    Jenny
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hello, Fellow Walkers.

I hope everyone had a good Father's Day. As many of you know, my dad has been going through chemo treatments the past few months. He's doing better; the chemo treatments are done for six weeks and then the doctors will re-evaluate to see if they will start another round. He still has a catheter, but that should be coming out this week. he was in good spirits today. (Makes me really rethink my pity party of the last few weeks. :embarassed: )

Anyway, as promised, I got back on track and worked out six/seven days this past week. You all are inspiring and motivating (Teresa, your regular two hour walks put me to shame; Alice, you've got such a routine down and stick with it; etc.). I'm excited to share that I'm officially "overweight." I know that sounds funny, but my BMI has been in the obese range for so long, and it just dropped to the overweight range. I never thought I'd be happy to say I'm overweight (not that I ever said aloud to others that I was obese!) :laugh:

Kathy and Jenny, so sorry to hear about your moms. No matter how old we get, having our parents ill/aging is not fun. Kathy, I'm glad you have your sisters to support you (and your mom). Jenny, I hope you have a support system as well. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Make it great week, everyone. Stay strong in making good choices for your health. :drinker:
  • MarieS135
    MarieS135 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I will be back for Julys group. Enough slacking for me!!

See you all soon,
    Marie
  • sandara
    sandara Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone!

Way to go AZ, 6 / 7 days is great! I"m kind of experimenting with my schedule a bit. I'm trying to alternate cardio with strength training every other day. I hope to get into some kind of schedule before we start the July thread.

Jenny, I"m glad you arrived safely. Enjoy your time with your family.

Marie, I"m so glad your back with us. You have been missed.

Teresa, I know your burning up down there in Florida because we're roasting here in GA. Way to keep going!

I did the 4 mile punch up your walk tonight. It's always a good workout when I need to really work up a sweat and it has a good variety. I always know I"m going to make it when I get about halfway through that third mile. It's the hardest one.
  • TeresaSavage
    TeresaSavage Posts: 1,506 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I'm trying to catch up here :bigsmile: .

I walked 5.3 miles on Saturday And 5 miles Today. I took Sunday off And Splurged at Hubby's family's house On Saturday night and bbq & fishing on Sunday. YES!! It's been a total pig out weekend for me YIKES:noway:

Happy Tuesday everyone :wink:
  • jrbanta
    Options
    I walked for 90 minutes today and burned over 600 calories. It was a beautiful day here, not too hot but a little humid. I forgot how damp it feels by the lakes.

I saw my mom today. The last time I saw her was at Christmas and she wasn't expected to live more than a few months then. It has been 6-7 months and she has lost at least 15 pounds since then. She is 92 lbs., looks skeletal and I can't believe how shocked I was at her appearance. I don't know what is keeping her here at this time. I hope she will find peace soon :cry:

Tomorrow I have a date to walk with an old friend. We visited today and caught up on our lives. It has been a couple of years since we saw each other.

More later,
    Jenny
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, went for a 4 mile walk on Sunday, yesterday nothing and bad food choices today. I see a pattern, no exercise means bad choices. I just finished a candy bar, haven't had one forever and to be honest it wasn't that great. But old habbits kick in and I ate the whole thing, even with it tasting bad. Shame on me!
    So, my goal today and tomorrow is to try to get out of this funk I feel myself slipping into. Tomorrow I'm taking my boys to the zoo/amusement park in Minneapolis, so I'll be getting my walking in.... Lord help me, I'm feeling weak!

You all have a great day! Keep the strong, upbeat attitude going! and get in those walks!!!
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Mary ... Come on!! you gotta get strong!! NO Candy Bars :noway:
    My favorite is Reeses peanutbutter cups & I haven't had one since joining MFP in November, BUT!!! YEAH I still pigged out on the things I allowed myself to eat. There is this candy machine i see everytime I clean the Office on Wednesday & Friday nights & I've been eyeing that darn machine more lately. So I know, I understand. It's a Great thing you got that 4 miles in . AWESOME!!!
    Just keep up with the exercise & I believe the eating habit's will get back to normal.
    GOOD LUCK & Stay STRONG

Jenny..... I'm glad you seen your mom again, before it was to late. This is probably what you need to get through it, when she does pass. I'm glad you have friends & family around. Take Care & try and enjoy yourself. :heart:

Walked 5.5 miles today. The heat is on, UGH!!!
    My Job canceled me today so I finally cleaned my house :embarassed: It took 5 hours 24 minutes and there's still cleaning that needs to be done. :frown:

:flowerforyou:
  • Redneckgirl924
    Options
    Good Evening, Everyone!

I got 3 miles of walking in this morning, when I couldn't sleep and I'm hoping to get in another 3 miles tonight.

Sandra - One of my co-workers thinks they have a stepper in storage that their not using. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm glad you liked the video, and can't wait to start it. I figured I will have to do modifications as well. The only videos so far I haven't had to do modifications to is Leslie's.

Jenny - I'm glad you made it to MI safe and sound. Enjoy this time with your family and friends.

Teresa - What can I say you're a walking machine. :happy: I hope someday to be able to get in as many miles as you do. You inspire me. Also, when you're done with your house mine needs cleaning. :laugh:

Mary - I'm glad you got your walk in. We all have set backs with food, I know this last weekend sucked for me. We just have to be strong and not let it drag us down. Stay strong!

Everyone have a good evening and keep up the good work on the exercising.

Ann
  • sandara
    Options
    Late check in for me again tonight. I did my strength training today, some weights and the muffin top workout again. I've got to find me a kettle ball dvd. My DVR is on the frix in the living room so I can't access the on demand exercise stuff until we get the box exchanged. Hopefully this weekend. There might be a kettle ball workout on there??

Tomorrow is hump day! blah! I'll try to get in a good walk / cardio workout tomorrow. I'm starting to enjoy the experimenting. I never would have tried some of this stuff when I first started mfp.

Hang in there Jenny, we'll all be thinking about you.

Teresa, today my car said 101 on the way home from work. So I know your sweating down there.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Jenny--praying for your mom and you; glad you got to see her, though!

Also glad you got to see an old friend! There's one or two I think about but it's been SO long that I haven't had any luck tracking them down.

You can do it, Mary! I'm feeling in a bit of a funk myself, lately. I also need to exercise more! Enjoy the zoo with your boys!

Teresa--Stay strong! Candy has been my weakness lately, too. I usually go for salty snacks so this is a new craving for me.

Ann--good for you for walking when you couldn't sleep. I never thought of trying that! Maybe I should!

Sandy--Sounds like you're getting back into the groove. I need to do that, too.

My mom is in a rehab facility for now because she cannot stand on her own right now. She's not happy about it but she can't go home until she gets her strength back. I sure hope she cooperates! She can be SO stubborn!
  • TeresaSavage
    Options
    Hello Ladies!!
    I hope everyone is doing better with exercise & eating healthy. I haven't hit the candy machine yet Kathy :wink:
    I've been taking the long walks again, So I've been able to stay under on my calorie goal. The scales going down, YAY! Only one pound left to be back to where I was 1 1/2 weeks ago.
    BUT!! My Dad and his girlfriend are coming in town tomorrow for a week, I hope I can still stay good. We have plan's for 2 picnics Saturday & Sunday. I'm making my famous potato salad & deviled eggs ( I hope I can resist) I usually lick the potato salad off my fingers :blushing: / Plus I had to buy my favorite chips, WHAT WAS I THINKING :noway:
    Ooops! I forgot to clean the refrig today. I've been busy buying food & shopping for tank tops. I did come home & clean the oven though :happy:

I walked 5.7 miles this morning and So far I'm eating right. Please wish me luck for this weekend :wink:
    Sandy..... It's not that darn hot :noway: It's about 89 degree's. BUT Hot enough :bigsmile:

Kathy...... I Love the sweet's & salty snacks. I 've been pretty good staying away from sweets, but I have managed to pig out on salty chips this last BBQ I just went on :blushing:

Jenny........ Just thinking of you.... hope your getting some relaxation in :flowerforyou:

Ann....... You sound like your doing Great! WAy To Go . Whoo Hoo on the walking :drinker:

Sandara..... Those kettle Balls look like my back would kill over doing it :laugh: . I really need to get back into the weight lifting. Good for you , You sound like your really back in the groove of things.

Have a Great Night Ladies... Time to go clean the office
  • sandara
    Options
    Hi All :smile:

Teresa, I can't believe it's hotter here than in FL. We had a big storm tonight and this time my car said it was 71. 30 degrees lower than yesterday. And good luck with your picnics, you'll do fine I'm sure. Your so dedicated I know you'll manage whatever comes your way.

I did the Punch up your walk again tonight but I added some extra weights for part of the moves. The glove weights just seem a little light to me. I think I'm going to try it with heavier weights all the way thru next time. My legs seemed to tire easier tonite and I can feel the muscle soreness from yesterday but not so bad it bothered me. Maybe I'm finally getting the right combo. I'll know in a couple of weeks if the scale starts moving again.

I just need to keep it up this time. For the first time in a while I don't have any plans this weekend so maybe I can stay on track then too!
  • AliceLMS
    AliceLMS Posts: 2,428 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be MIA ladies. I have been sick. Absolute misery, bad body pains, temps to 104. Started Saturday and is just now starting to pass, I hope. I have been taking a lot of ibuprophen, and if I don't things are not so good. Did see the Dr. and am taking antibiotics, no real clue what it is. Just nasty.

Do I need a note to come back? Did anyone even know I was gone?

Storms continue here. Violent weather all day yesterday. 5 inches of rain, driveway is flooded, brought the help in from the barns twice yesterday due to tornado warnings. Long day!

NIte all, Alice
  • constancemwj
    constancemwj Posts: 290
    Options
    Hi all
    I've been MIA too again... But not sick,,,,,, My Hubby has been working down in NM, for the last year so every time I get the chance I head that way, so sat. morning, me and my daughter got up and decided we'd drive down and surprise him for father's day... He was surprised!:bigsmile: We had a great weekend and a few extra other days. We got back home yesterday, and I spent today out in the yard and walking behind a mower most the afternoon. So that was my walking for to day.

Alice I hope your feeling better soon, I hate being sick. It's no fun,
    Jenny glad your having a good trip too.
    you all have a great day tomorrow & keep walking
    connie
  • jrbanta
    Options
    Wow you are all so good and getting in some nice walks. I did a 4 mile walk my first day here and a a very short bike ride yesterday but it has been raining buckets every day in between. Hopefully today will have some dry spells and I can get in a walk outside or with Leslie.'

Dinner with mom last night went well. She was smiling at all of us and seemed happy to have us around her. I got together with old friends afterwards and chatted until midnight. Tired today and have a girl's night with others tonight...:yawn:

Time to eat breakfast so I'll report back in later. I don't have time this morning to encourage you all individually but kudos to all of you for your accomplishments this week!:flowerforyou:

Jenny
  • MarieS135
    MarieS135 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good morning Everyone,

I seen these summer salads on Hungry Girl this morning and wanted to pass them along. They sound wonderful!

Santa Fe Chicken Salad
    PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 cup): 153 calories, 1.5g fat, 466mg sodium, 17.5g carbs, 3g fiber, 6g sugars, 18g protein -- PointsPlus® value 4*

Mmmm, a southwestern spin on scoopable salads! Fresh and zesty flavors mixed up with shredded chicken for your chewing pleasure...

Ingredients:
    1 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    8 oz. cooked and shredded skinless lean chicken breast
    1/2 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/2 cup sweet corn kernels, thawed from frozen
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup sliced scallions
    1/2 cup fresh salsa or pico de gallo
    1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
    1 tsp. taco seasoning
    1/4 tsp. salt

Directions:
    Bring a skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium-high heat on the stove. Add bell pepper and onion. Stirring occasionally, cook until softened, 6 - 8 minutes.

Transfer cooked veggies to a large bowl. Add chicken, black beans, corn, cilantro, and scallions. Mix well and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine salsa, sour cream, taco seasoning, and salt. Mix well. Add salsa mixture to the large bowl and toss to coat.

Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Dig in!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

HG Tip: Click here for the 411 on chicken shredding!

Simply Scoopy Seafood Salad
    PER SERVING (1/4th of recipe, about 1 cup): 136 calories, 3g fat, 385mg sodium, 12g carbs, 3g fiber, 4g sugars, 15.5g protein -- PointsPlus® value 3*

As good as deli versions look, the insane amounts of mayo they contain are SO unnecessary. Ours is guilt-free, and it's loaded with tasty veggies and seafood deliciousness!

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (like the kind by Fage or Chobani)
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. black pepper
    6 oz. cooked and chopped shrimp
    4 oz. flaked or chopped imitation crab (about 3/4 cup)
    1 cup broccoli cole slaw, roughly chopped
    1 cup peas, thawed from frozen
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    2 oz. chopped avocado (about 1/2 avocado or 1/3 cup)

Directions:
    In a large bowl, combine yogurt, salt, and pepper. Stir until evenly mixed. Add all remaining ingredients except avocado. Stir thoroughly. Gently fold in the avocado.

Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Scoop it up!

MAKES 4 SERVINGS

Have a great day guys!
    Marie
  • mbvenske
    mbvenske Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Morning everyone! Sounds like all is going well.

Marie - thanks for the recipes, I'll have to give them a try, they sound delicious!

Jenny - you continue to enjoy yourself! Glad you had a nice visit with your mom, makes everything that much nicer! Enjoy your evening tonight.

Connie - good for you!!! What a fantastic surprise for him. Glad you had a fun trip.

Alice - take care of yourself, doesn't sound like a good thing to have. Hope you get better soon, and don't forget to keep the liquids flowing.

Sandy - hang tough, you can do this! Be strong over the weekend, it'll get you on a good track.

I've been slipping, badly. We didn't get outside at all yesterday, it rained steady, and so we were going to go today instead, but the window on my car broke and they can't come fix it until tomorrow so we are stuck home again today. Plus it's raining here again, so we'll probably be stuck in the house. I decided that I need to get on my treadmill, but I can't find the want. So, I'm gonna make myself start and maybe it'll get easier as the time goes by. I have not been logging my food, at all, and that is a big problem for me! If I don't log, I don't keep track, and I GAIN!!! So, I did start to log again today, I'm gonna try hard to keep it up. TOM also came to visit, 3 days ago, and I don't know if I'm starting menopause or what, but that sure has been an irregular thing lately and this time it is just heavy and making me feel like crap. Oh sorry, probably more than you all want to know. But at least I have a reason behind my terrible mood lately.

Ok..... here I go..... on to my treadmill...........
  • sandara
    Options
    My new workout dvd arrived. It's jenny ford and it has 3 different workouts on it. All three workouts show a step on the cover but the beginner one I picked out didn't use the step at all. But it was fun even though I'm such a klutz and couldn't do half the stuff. It's going to take me a while to learn this but I"m going to give it a try. I checked and the other 2 workouts do use the step and I tried some of the combos out just for fun. The workouts are set up so you can play the whole thing or just pick a combo. She teaches a combo and then adds another until you get through the whole routine. Honestly I really have no dancing abilities at all so this is going to be a challenge.

Thanks for recommending the workouts Kathy, I think it's going to be a good addition to the WATP's for me. I also want to order a kettlebell workout I saw on the internet today. I didn't get my strength training in but that's okay, I enjoyed what I did.

TOMORROW IS FRIDAY! YAY! :bigsmile: My favorite day of the week for those of you who are new! :laugh:
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Going to be an interesting 2 days--food-wise, especially. Tonight is my son's company picnic at a Tacoma Rainiers' game--with baseball-park type food (and some healthier choices, too!) and then tomorrow is Isaac's first birthday!

Can't believe he's a year old already! We're not having a big party--just family--but there's going to be cake and ice cream. Luckily, my DD is buying the cake so I won't be as tempted as I would be if it were homemade.

I really want to fit in a workout to offset things but I'm not sure I will. Definately will on Sunday, though!

I slacked for a few days at logging but am back at it. I WILL track my foods--no matter what! I really do eat better when I track them--even if I end up going over my calories!

Sandy--I really enjoy Jenny Ford's workouts and I hope to get the DVD when I get paid so I can pick and choose (online you can only fast-forward through the videos and that can be a pain at times!).