Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

A quick refresher on a calorie is a calorie ....

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    JoshLibby wrote: »
    "The fiber content of the food ingested. Due to its chemical makeup, fiber is classified as a carbohydrate; however, it is unlike other carbohydrates in that it is a mostly indigestible nutrient. Even though each gram of fiber contains four calories, these calories will remain undigested and will not be absorbed. Therefore, if one were to consume 300 calories of red beans (a food in which nearly 1/3 of the caloric content is from fiber), approximately 100 of these calories would pass through the intestinal tract undigested."

That's why fiber calories are excluded in calorie counts.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    I ate both types of fiber and my metabolism imploded and exploded. My metabolism now permeates the entire earth.
    True story.
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I
    "A calorie is just a calorie."

100 calories of chicken, 100 calories of french fries. Both give energy, but the chicken does more. It's just that simple.

It's all great and wonderful until you compare molecules and how it works in the body. It's the same energy, true, but how the body reacts to that energy is what really matters. Life isn't about a scale and counting calories everyday we were never meant to do that. But if it works for you GREAT.

Do what works for you, but don't proclaim it will works for all, if it did the world would not have a obesity problem.

"A mile is just a mile."
    Until you compare the terrain. It's the same distance.

I want to see anyone walk 1 mile on flat ground. Then I want to see someone walk one mile on mountainous terrain.
    The distance was the same, but it wasn't the same situation.

As the OP said very clearly...

There is nothing clear in any of it. As simple as it's trying to be made to be, it's just not.

I think if you want to make it complicated you can - there are a myriad of minutiae, with supporting scientific peer reviewed studies that can brought to bear

But the question is 'Are they relevant to your goals?'

The issue with not taking things back to the lowest common denominator is, as I see it, visible in many different fields of expertise .. it causes inertia

A failure to make a decision or commit to a path because one just needs to consider this other information which will at best result in a couple of percentage points difference

Sometimes good enough is just that

It's good enough to achieve your goals

(I remove elite athletes at the top of their game from this .. but only them)

There is plenty of evidence that goes against a calorie being a calorie. The definition is true, until applied, then what? This is why you have an argument in the first place. A cow is just a cow until it's a hamburger, a hamburger is just a hamburger until it's digested now it's a calorie. The point, a calorie is just a calorie when categorizing, after that they are not the same as we see in proteins, fats, carbs, then we dig deeper layer of layer. It's not simple.

Carbs, fats and protein, when used as fuel will always be turned into ATP providing an amount of calories. the way they get turned into that is different but the end product is the same.
    So actually, they're different until they're not anymore.

Wrong. you are so stuck on looking at fats, proteins, carbs you always forget the others. Fiber is a huge one. Fiber slows down the metabolic rate which uses less calories to process the food, so instead of 160 calories worth of almonds it becomes 130. As I said, it's not that simple.

As I told robert, if you're in a place where a 30 calorie difference is somehow fatal to your goals, you're doing something wrong.
    While I don't eat almonds, the funny thing is that with my overall goals, 30 calories a day may actually be significant. If I want to try to gain 0.25 lb a month, it would matter in that regard.
    No, it would not...
    I don't see why it would not. To gain .25 lb a month, I thought in theory that would translate to about a 25 calorie surplus a day.

• senecarr
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    I

100 calories of chicken, 100 calories of french fries. Both give energy, but the chicken does more. It's just that simple.

It's all great and wonderful until you compare molecules and how it works in the body. It's the same energy, true, but how the body reacts to that energy is what really matters. Life isn't about a scale and counting calories everyday we were never meant to do that. But if it works for you GREAT.

Do what works for you, but don't proclaim it will works for all, if it did the world would not have a obesity problem.

"A mile is just a mile."

I want to see anyone walk 1 mile on flat ground. Then I want to see someone walk one mile on mountainous terrain.

There is nothing clear in any of it. As simple as it's trying to be made to be, it's just not.

I think if you want to make it complicated you can - there are a myriad of minutiae, with supporting scientific peer reviewed studies that can brought to bear

The issue with not taking things back to the lowest common denominator is, as I see it, visible in many different fields of expertise .. it causes inertia

A failure to make a decision or commit to a path because one just needs to consider this other information which will at best result in a couple of percentage points difference

There is plenty of evidence that goes against a calorie being a calorie. The definition is true, until applied, then what? This is why you have an argument in the first place. A cow is just a cow until it's a hamburger, a hamburger is just a hamburger until it's digested now it's a calorie. The point, a calorie is just a calorie when categorizing, after that they are not the same as we see in proteins, fats, carbs, then we dig deeper layer of layer. It's not simple.

Carbs, fats and protein, when used as fuel will always be turned into ATP providing an amount of calories. the way they get turned into that is different but the end product is the same.

Wrong. you are so stuck on looking at fats, proteins, carbs you always forget the others. Fiber is a huge one. Fiber slows down the metabolic rate which uses less calories to process the food, so instead of 160 calories worth of almonds it becomes 130. As I said, it's not that simple.

As I told robert, if you're in a place where a 30 calorie difference is somehow fatal to your goals, you're doing something wrong.
    While I don't eat almonds, the funny thing is that with my overall goals, 30 calories a day may actually be significant. If I want to try to gain 0.25 lb a month, it would matter in that regard.
    No, it would not...
    I don't see why it would not. To gain .25 lb a month, I thought in theory that would translate to about a 25 calorie surplus a day.
    A pound is roughly 3500 calories, so for a 30 day month, you're looking at about 110-120 calories a day.
    Right, so for a quarter of a pound that's in the range of 25-30 calories a day.

• JoshLibby
    JoshLibby Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fiber slows down the metabolic rate
    Ah, no it does not...

There are two types of fiber one slows down and one speeds up.
    Neither type of fiber slows, or speeds up the metabolic rate. I'll wait till the lightbulb goes off in your head...
    Proof me wrong. If I am wrong. then fine but proof would be great.
    Insoluble fiber slows down the DIGESTION, not the metabolic rate. If you can't even get that right how can any of us trust any of your insights or opinions...
    Metabolic: Relating to metabolism, the whole range of biochemical processes that occur within us (or any living organism). Metabolism consists of anabolism (the buildup of substances) and catabolism (the breakdown of substances).

The term "metabolic" is often used to refer specifically to the breakdown of food and its transformation into energy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=18074

I stated metabolic rate. Pretty sure I used it right. If wrong. it still does what it does, the fiber.
  • senecarr
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...
    A pound is roughly 3500 calories, so for a 30 day month, you're looking at about 110-120 calories a day.

I was thinking of a pound a month. Sorry.
    I have a hard time imagining anyone controlling TDEE enough to account for .25 lbs a month of consistent increase.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

I have a hard time imagining anyone controlling TDEE enough to account for .25 lbs a month of consistent increase.

From what I remember you really can't. It would go under in the sea of ups and downs in expenditure, and the thing I said above.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

that is why it the minimum recommendation for bulking is .5 pound per week ....
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Fiber slows down the metabolic rate
    Ah, no it does not...

There are two types of fiber one slows down and one speeds up.
    Neither type of fiber slows, or speeds up the metabolic rate. I'll wait till the lightbulb goes off in your head...
    Proof me wrong. If I am wrong. then fine but proof would be great.
    Insoluble fiber slows down the DIGESTION, not the metabolic rate. If you can't even get that right how can any of us trust any of your insights or opinions...
    Metabolic: Relating to metabolism, the whole range of biochemical processes that occur within us (or any living organism). Metabolism consists of anabolism (the buildup of substances) and catabolism (the breakdown of substances).

The term "metabolic" is often used to refer specifically to the breakdown of food and its transformation into energy.

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=18074

I stated metabolic rate. Pretty sure I used it right. If wrong. it still does what it does, the fiber.

And metabolic rate is its own term with a meaning, which is the amount of calories you burn.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, because the assumption is that you are not an idiot and will therefore behave reasonably.

If your diet is not allowing you to gain, you will eat more.

Whether or not your estimate of the calories you consume is 100% correct or not (and it's not, no one's is, although some do better than others), and whether or not your estimate of the calories you burn is correct or not, you always can adjust based on results.

People seem to think there's some victory in logging more calories than they actually access, so increasing the number of foods that likely have overstated calories is somehow inherently beneficial.

That seems weird to me.

The problem with this statement is fiber is overlooked and if you do eat "healthy" you wouldn't know what was absorbed and not, and that can or can not be a huge problem depending on goals, and also goes against the calorie being a calorie ideology.

Almonds aren't about the fiber, but thanks for assuming the science matches your view instead of bothering to inform your view based on the science.

Who stated almonds were about the fiber. I was just sharing how you won't get those 160 calories promised because of the fiber in the almond.

You did. You used it as evidence that fiber matters. That or you're just making disjoint statements - "fiber is important because it lowers calories", "almonds have fiber", "almonds have fewer digested calories", "STRAWMAN, I NEVER CLAIMED FIBER IN ALMONDS LOWERS CALORIES".

I used evidence that a calorie is not a calorie because of different variables, one being fiber. Is it true? if so then it contradicts this whole thread.

fiber does not change the energy output and it does not change phsyics....

strange that you think that...
  • senecarr
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, because the assumption is that you are not an idiot and will therefore behave reasonably.

If your diet is not allowing you to gain, you will eat more.

Whether or not your estimate of the calories you consume is 100% correct or not (and it's not, no one's is, although some do better than others), and whether or not your estimate of the calories you burn is correct or not, you always can adjust based on results.

People seem to think there's some victory in logging more calories than they actually access, so increasing the number of foods that likely have overstated calories is somehow inherently beneficial.

That seems weird to me.

The problem with this statement is fiber is overlooked and if you do eat "healthy" you wouldn't know what was absorbed and not, and that can or can not be a huge problem depending on goals, and also goes against the calorie being a calorie ideology.

Almonds aren't about the fiber, but thanks for assuming the science matches your view instead of bothering to inform your view based on the science.

Who stated almonds were about the fiber. I was just sharing how you won't get those 160 calories promised because of the fiber in the almond.

You did. You used it as evidence that fiber matters. That or you're just making disjoint statements - "fiber is important because it lowers calories", "almonds have fiber", "almonds have fewer digested calories", "STRAWMAN, I NEVER CLAIMED FIBER IN ALMONDS LOWERS CALORIES".

I used evidence that a calorie is not a calorie because of different variables, one being fiber. Is it true? if so then it contradicts this whole thread.

A lot of things have calories a human being can't use. Most food labels have factors to correct for the differences in digestible content. Some are wrong. You're retreading old ground.
    Your argument would be just as valid as saying calories aren't equal because humans can't digest gasoline calories.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This thread has gone nuts!

Here's an effort to clarify the argument.

What I see as a point for stating "a calorie is a calorie" is that many people--weird as it may seem to some of us more naive folks--seem to genuinely believe that the source of a calorie makes a difference as to whether you can gain weight from it or not, and how "fattening" it is. I posted some examples of this from another thread yesterday.

For example, many will insist that calories from cheese lead to more weight gain (and definite weight gain, in any amount, even if you are in a deficit), whereas calories from fruit can't cause weight gain. The same people (and many fraudulent guru types) will then insist that calories do not matter, and instead other things (eating "clean" or eating paleo or raw vegan or some other diet) matter for weight loss and that if you follow the diet rules you can eat many more calories and not gain weight.

That is what I want to attack.

What "a calorie is a calorie" does not mean is that all foods are identical. Of course that's not so, and "a calorie" is not being used as a synonym for "a food."

Also, what is not meant is that all labels and the USDA information is 100% accurate and thus 100 calories of almonds always have 100 calories that can be used by the body. Estimates are imperfect and more imperfect with some foods than others.

What we eat also affects calories out in some ways. First, TEF (although not significant if one is eating a normal diet). Second, if one has more energy/feels better.

What I find interesting is whether there's any other significant effect whereby CO changes due to the types of foods eaten (i.e., the arguments that higher carb/lower fat or the reverse makes a difference). I suspect that even if there is it may vary from person to person or be sufficiently small that other considerations (like whether I am happy eating a particular diet) will be far more significant.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

why are you trying to gain .25 pounds per month? who does that/???

Why do you care what his goals are should be the real question, unless he blatantly asks you for help.

It's a problematic goal, because if you try to gain at such a small rate you probably end up increasing the metabolism and not gaining at all.

Same reason trying to lose at such a slow rate would be tough.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

For medical reasons it would be best that I avoid gaining more than a pound of fat over the next several months, while at the same time I'd like to increase my LBM.

Do you think those 30 cals is going to add a significant amount of LBM? or fat?
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

From what I remember you really can't. It would go under in the sea of ups and downs in expenditure, and the thing I said above.

What I find interesting is whether there's any other significant effect whereby CO changes due to the types of foods eaten (i.e., the arguments that higher carb/lower fat or the reverse makes a difference). I suspect that even if there is it may vary from person to person or be sufficiently small that other considerations (like whether I am happy eating a particular diet) will be far more significant.
    This is what I wonder as well.

• stevencloser
    Options
    I think I'm going to start keeping a copypasta handy myself soon.

In each and every case for every person living in this universe, every calorie you put into your body has to be accounted for. No calorie can ever disappear without trace nor appear out of nothing.
    They all either: get used for fueling your body, wasted as heat, stored as lbm, fat or glycogen, excreted unabsorbed.

In any timeframe t0 to t1, the difference in energy inside your body between t0 and t1 plus the amount of energy that left your body via the aforementioned ways will ALWAYS equal the amount of energy that was introduced to your body during that timeframe. This is known as CICO.

Is that too long?
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

Yeah, this is my understanding too, and I recall Evgeni posting support for it also.

Edit: and he's here. Excellent.
  • ForecasterJason
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

For medical reasons it would be best that I avoid gaining more than a pound of fat over the next several months, while at the same time I'd like to increase my LBM.

Do you think those 30 cals is going to add a significant amount of LBM? or fat?
    I don't know for sure, but based on my medical condition I think that gaining as little as a pound of fat may cause a lot of harm. If I can get at least 20 of those 30 calories to go into increasing LBM, over the course of a few months it could make a noticeable change depending on where it's gained. In the past I gained about 3 lbs of LBM in my upper body and family members thought that was "a lot" of muscle gained based on how it affected my physique.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I

"A mile is just a mile."

No, it would not...

There is too much variation IMO to make a 25 calorie a day surplus significant...
This discussion has been closed.