March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.....

Really useful post, esp if like me you cake retention issues. Everyone running to lose weight should read it. I thought the link was interesting too.

I'd never heard the 6.2sec a pound for 5k before. It made me do some quick mental maths .

thank you
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    3/1 - 4 miles
    3/2 - 3.5 miles
    3/3 and 4 - travel days
    3/5 - 5 miles
    3/6 - 6.5 miles
    3/7 - rest day
    3/8 - 5 miles
    3/9 - 5.3 miles

29.3 out of 100 miles

exercise.png

So I was thinking last night that since I haven't been putting in long miles since December that my stamina needs help. Especially since I have a HM in a month. So this morning instead of thinking of miles I decided to run for an hour regardless of the miles and do a slower pace. I need to build myself back up to 2 hours in a short period of time. I'll also work towards getting in at least 2 10 milers before the half. I figured if I can comfortably run 2 hours I should have no problem completing the half even if it's 2.5 hours. Does that make sense? Today was also the first day I did a downhill, I've been avoiding the hill in my neighborhood because downhills hurt like hell. I took it slow and no pain.

Went to PT today, he said instead of coming again on Friday to push my appt out to next Friday and if I'm having no problems running I'm released :smile:

Upcoming races:

4/3 - Super Heroes 5K
    4/10 - Bridgestreet HM
    5/30 - Cotton Row 10K
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that's great news!
  • laa24
    laa24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Good to hear the good news!
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Awesome!!! I saw mine yesterday, he says he thinks I've still got another 4 weeks before release BUT, he was on board with the 60 mile running goal for the month so I'm calling it a win :D
  • ceciliaslater
    ceciliaslater Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    4 miles today. No rain but HUMID (rain probably would have been better). I took it extremely slow and still ended up walking several times. Today just wasn't my day. It happens...

31.8 of 100 miles completed for the month.

Upcoming races:

3/20 - A2A Marathon (Ardmore, OK)
    5/14 - Fleet Feet Half Marathon - Four Seasons Challenge #1 (Tulsa, OK)
    7/4 - Firecracker 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #2 (Tulsa, OK)
    9/17 - The Q Doubler - Quarter Marathon + 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #3 (Tulsa, OK)
    11/5 - Jenks Half Marathon (Jenks, OK)
    12/17 - Rudolph Run 5K - Four Seasons Challenge #4 (Tulsa, OK)

PS..What happened to @MorningGhost14 ? Haven't seen him around lately.

• sheilatbrecht
    sheilatbrecht Posts: 12 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I would like to join this challenge. 60 miles in March.

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    @karllundy I'm so sorry for your loss
    Becky_44 wrote: »
    Ha! Love the turtle!
    I'm right there with you! :)Sometimes the challenge for me is not the running, but continuing as a slow runner. Lol!

I have not made any impressive gains in speed, in my opinion, since I broke the 11-minute-mile last summer. It isn't that I'm not faster, I'm just not a lot faster, and I'm not *consistently* faster. I can run a 4 miles at a 10 minute mile (and could probably do more) on the treadmill, but out in the real world my pace is still more like 11 even when I'm booking it. Road running is where my weight most drags me down. I'd love to lose another 20 lbs...but when I'm running I struggle with will-power over carbs.

3/1.....3.0 @ 10:40 on the TM, plus strength training
    3/3....3.5 @ 11:25 on the TM
    3/5....4.5 @ 10:33 on the TM ( .5 walking and 4 @ 10:00, which I think is my farthest distance at that speed)
    3/8....4.5 @ 11:53 on the park trail
    3/9...2.5 @ 15:00ish walking the world's fattest, most slothful dog who was DYING. Dying, I tell you! Big Boy is back on diet dog food and will be burning off his winter layers with me more often, I think. I'm counting it, though, just because I probably won't get another chance to run today.

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @MNlittlefinn @elise4270 and @virkati thanks! I'm so happy. You'll get there Virkati. It actually makes me sad to leave Jonathan, his practice is so awesome I do as much laughing when I'm there as PT.
    @rune1990 if your calves like the compression of pants look into compression sleeves. Skip (my 15 year old daughter) has been having some calf pain and I brought her a pair over the weekend. The trainer at school says I'm so smart (well duh no kidding) and she said there are the bomb she loves the feel of them while running and said she has no calf pain at all.
    @sthoma13 11 miles woohoo great job!
    @kateparry84 sorry the kids are sick I hope everyone is feeling better soon
    @ally_mf18007 welcome - I love the doggies in your picture. Besides the best running community ever, we are the most doggy friend community ever!
    @5beautifuldays I hope things have calmed down in your house a little. I had to crack up over your slothful dog ha ha!!!

@karllundy I'm so sorry for your loss. hugs.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Yay! Good news! Glad the knee is feeling so much better!

@rune1990 I second the compression sleeves! I personally can't stand to run in compression gear, but I know a lot of people who run and/or race with calf sleeves on. It looks cool; like they're running-soccer hybrid super stars :)
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm running at a 15 mile pace. I feel like I'm running, not jogging, but I know it's a slow run. I use to run 10 min miles. Last year before June I couldn't run at all past the second half of the first run on c25k because of the fluid retention. I've learned to balance sodium better to help (but that also means I have less sodium than I should when I am on top of it,) and also realized after Stans post on weight and running that I need to be patient because I will continue to get better as the weight comes back off. As long as I'm progressing I really am happy. I just get bogged down sometimes with being this slow.

Becky_44 wrote: »
    Ha! Love the turtle!
    I'm right there with you! :)Sometimes the challenge for me is not the running, but continuing as a slow runner. Lol!

I have not made any impressive gains in speed, in my opinion, since I broke the 11-minute-mile last summer. It isn't that I'm not faster, I'm just not a lot faster, and I'm not *consistently* faster. I can run a 4 miles at a 10 minute mile (and could probably do more) on the treadmill, but out in the real world my pace is still more like 11 even when I'm booking it. Road running is where my weight most drags me down. I'd love to lose another 20 lbs...but when I'm running I struggle with will-power over carbs.

• _EPIC_
    _EPIC_ Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    30.67 mi for the month, out of goal of.. I forget what it was. 75?
  • Virkati
    Options
    @karllundy I'm so sorry for your loss. Love yourself and your wife through this.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    @karllundy - Very sorry to hear. I've been trying to think of something helpful to say considering my MIL passed 3 years ago, but there are no words to help, particularly for your wife. Be strong, she will need you now more than ever.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

@Stoshew71: So if you ARE carrying extra (or a lot extra poundage), is there a specific part of the running chain that's most susceptible to injury I should focus on looking for strength exercises for because I am GOING to be ratcheting up mileage more and more as I train for the HM in August..in fact, my planned next long run is calling for a 10 miler.

The weakest link of your chain is most susceptible. Think of your entire body as a chain made up of a complex set of links. All the bones in your foot, ankle, shin (tibia/fibia), thigh bones, hips, ect. Then all the ligaments and tendons in each joint. Every time your foot hit's the ground, the ground impact forces get's absorbed by your entire leg all the way up through your body. All of these things are effected. In whatever is the weakest will get it first. But everything get's weak. But with enough rest in between and the right nutrition and sleep, everything slowly gets stronger.

Since it is so hard to figure out what would go first, the best thing to do if you are concerned about injury is to strengthen everything. Hips, core, IT band, glutes, calves, shins.

Here is an example of a workout you can do:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners

The other thing you will need to work on is good form. having bad running form (especially if you are compensating for weaker muscles) will make for inefficient movement (wasted energy) and using muscles to do things that they were not intended to do. This also leads to injury. So doing things like working on a faster candence with shorter steps, making sure you don't over stride, engage your glutes and lock your hips forward are all things to make you less imjury prone.
  • Virkati
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Went for my lunch walk and must say, after seeing my PT yesterday, I feel amazing!! Felt like I could run, but forced myself to keep it at a walking pace. He is very enthusiastic about me being able to not just finish my half in May, but actually being able to put in some serious run time! I'm stoked!

02/20 Snowman Stampede 10 mile race-cancelled due to injury
    04/24 Graffiti Run with grandkids - "Memaw's Mini Posse" is our team name!
    04/30 Greenland Trail Race...8 mile
    05/15 Colfax Marathon (Half)
    08/07 Tri for the Cure Sprint Triathlon
    09/05 Labor Day Mini Marathon (Half)
    10/16 Rock-n-Roll Denver Half

**Ticker is RUN mileage only. Saving walking mileage if I need it to meet goal!**
    exercise.png
  • Stoshew71
    edited March 2016
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    So here is the other thing as far as losing weight and running performance.

EDIT: Also, the more weight you are carrying, the more of an impact you make with each step (ground impact forces). So every time your foot hits the ground, your higher weight you are carrying stresses your bones, ligaments, and tendons due to these ground impact forces. So the more chance to injury you have especially as you increase mileage.

@Stoshew71: So if you ARE carrying extra (or a lot extra poundage), is there a specific part of the running chain that's most susceptible to injury I should focus on looking for strength exercises for because I am GOING to be ratcheting up mileage more and more as I train for the HM in August..in fact, my planned next long run is calling for a 10 miler.

I'm not Stan, but I know the answer to that one: Whatever is weakest in your running chain is most susceptible to injury. That will vary from one person to another. It could be knees, it could be hamstrings, it could be quads, it could be calves, it could be the IT band, it could be core strength, and it's probably not all of that in the same runner. In my case, the weakest link is feet and ankles; I've spent a lot of time learning to deal with that. The amount of time I've spent to correct hamstring and other issues is minor compared to what I've needed to do for my feet. But that doesn't matter to you if your weak area is not the same as my weak area.

Unfortunately, you tend to find out what is weakest when you notice what hurts the most consistently. If you're lucky, it's only a training soreness; if you're less lucky, you run yourself into injury figuring this out. Been there, done that, would like to retire that tee shirt.

Funny, I started answering this but got sidetracked at work, then ended where I started. Then I read this post and it pretty much says the same thing that i wrote. :-)

• Stoshew71
    Options
    @karllundy I am sorry for the loss of your MIL. I pray for peace for your whole family.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for March
    3/1 7.25 miles - 7.25
    3/2 4 miles - 11.25
    3/3 9 miles - 20.25
    3/4 3.5 miles - 23.75
    3/5 6.2 miles - 29.95
    3/6 2 miles - 31.95 << race warm-up
    3/6 5 miles - 36.95 << 8K race
    3/7 6.2 miles - 43.15