March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• becbo22
    becbo22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! I am not currently part of this challenge but I thought this might be a good place to get some running advice. I am currently training for my first half marathon in May. My longest run to date was last weekend at 9.3 miles. I am a pretty big girl at 5'11" and 240 pounds. I am super slow (13 min/mile) and my goal is basically just to finish the half and not feel like I'm about to die. Does anyone have any tips for me?
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    becbo22 wrote: »
    Hey guys! I am not currently part of this challenge but I thought this might be a good place to get some running advice. I am currently training for my first half marathon in May. My longest run to date was last weekend at 9.3 miles. I am a pretty big girl at 5'11" and 240 pounds. I am super slow (13 min/mile) and my goal is basically just to finish the half and not feel like I'm about to die. Does anyone have any tips for me?

First off, joining us is a good start. Just start logging your miles with us every time you run. We all will give you good encouragement along the way.

Next thing, what was the rest of your runs look like during the week? You need good over all weekly mileage as well as building up your long run. Plus make sure all your runs are at an easy conversational pace. That means you should be able to talk in complete sentences without losing breath. if you can only get one or 2 words out and struggle for a breath, then you are running too fast.
  • becbo22
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »

First off, joining us is a good start. Just start logging your miles with us every time you run. We all will give you good encouragement along the way.

Next thing, what was the rest of your runs look like during the week? You need good over all weekly mileage as well as building up your long run. Plus make sure all your runs are at an easy conversational pace. That means you should be able to talk in complete sentences without losing breath. if you can only get one or 2 words out and struggle for a breath, then you are running too fast.

Now that the weather is nicer I've been running about 3 times during the week and I do my long runs on the weekend. During the week my runs are typically 4-5 miles each. I will make another post adding my mileage so I can join you guys!
  • becbo22
    Options
    Hello! Here are my miles so far in March. I think I will aim for a lofty 100 miles this month.

3/1- 5 mile run
    3/2- rest
    3/3- 4 mile run
    3/4- 2 hours strength/cardio
    3/5- 9.31 mile run
    3/6- walk 2.38 miles
    3/7- 1 hour cardio
    3/8- 5 miles
    3/9- 5 miles

Running mileage total: 28.31 miles
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    @becbo22 One of the rules to long runs that helps staying injury free is to make sure that your long run is no more than 35% of your weekly mileage. That means about 25-26 miles a week for a 9 mile long run. At this point, 3 runs at 5 miles plus the 9 gives you 24. So you are on the edge. My advice is to make sure you are comfortable with the 3 runs at 5 miles during the week plus keeping the 9 miler on the weekend. Then slowly add another mile to one of those runs each week so that eventually you can maybe do 3x 6 mile runs plus a 10 miler.

Don't be a fraid to cut back on your miles for a week if you feel like you need the rest. We call these cutback weeks (other people have other names but the concept is the same). I usually stick a cutback week once every 3-4 weeks.
  • Stoshew71
    Options
    Hello! Here are my miles so far in March. I think I will aim for a lofty 100 miles this month.

3/1- 5 mile run
    3/2- rest
    3/3- 4 mile run
    3/4- 2 hours strength/cardio
    3/5- 9.31 mile run
    3/6- walk 2.38 miles
    3/7- 1 hour cardio
    3/8- 5 miles
    3/9- 5 miles

Running mileage total: 28.31 miles

Welcome aboard.
  • Ericsmi
    Ericsmi Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Updating for last couple runs

Goal of 70 Miles for March

3/1 – 3.21 Mi
    3/3 – 5.91 Mi
    3/6 – 3.17 Mi
    3/7 – 3.28 Mi
    3/9 – 3.97 Mi

Progress toward Goal 19.54 / 70
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    66.55 km down so far. No exercise yesterday due to my littlest one coming down with a vomiting bug and the middle child sneezing and coughing everywhere.. Hoping to go for a walk this afternoon, depending on what time hubby gets home.

Doing my first half on Saturday.. Have picked up some Gels called "Winners Gels" from the supermarket.. pack of 4 for $7 so pretty well priced I thought? A few runners in my running group said they like this brand so I can only give them a go. I have been having carbs here and there during the last few days.. and upping my water intake.

Thinking I will have to run with my water bottle which is going to annoy me a lot but I've left it too late to look at hydration packs. There is a cheap one in the local shop at the moment.. I was thinking about it but don't want to chance being really uncomfortable during a 21k run/walk. Will go slow and easy.. Enjoy the run and try not to focus too much on time as it's my first.. As long as I do it under 3:30:00 I will be pleased (cut-off for the half event I am doing in July).

Aiming to run as much of it as possible, obviously.. Thinking of parking my car half way so I can reapply sunscreen and apply bandaids to my feet if need be. Any other advice you can throw at me?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    66.55 km down so far. No exercise yesterday due to my littlest one coming down with a vomiting bug and the middle child sneezing and coughing everywhere.. Hoping to go for a walk this afternoon, depending on what time hubby gets home.

Doing my first half on Saturday.. Have picked up some Gels called "Winners Gels" from the supermarket.. pack of 4 for $7 so pretty well priced I thought? A few runners in my running group said they like this brand so I can only give them a go. I have been having carbs here and there during the last few days.. and upping my water intake.

Thinking I will have to run with my water bottle which is going to annoy me a lot but I've left it too late to look at hydration packs. There is a cheap one in the local shop at the moment.. I was thinking about it but don't want to chance being really uncomfortable during a 21k run/walk. Will go slow and easy.. Enjoy the run and try not to focus too much on time as it's my first.. As long as I do it under 3:30:00 I will be pleased (cut-off for the half event I am doing in July).

Aiming to run as much of it as possible, obviously.. Thinking of parking my car half way so I can reapply sunscreen and apply bandaids to my feet if need be. Any other advice you can throw at me?
    Try and find someone going the same pace as you who you can chat with. A lot of people don't mind chatting, talking about what got them into running, hearing others stories, etc. Having that person to chat with will make the miles go by so much faster, and it will help force you to maintain conversational pace. Most importantly though, you can both enter into a pact early on that neither of you will let the other quit. As things get tough later on one of you can be what pushes the other to go the rest of the way.

ETA: Actually, MOST importantly....HAVE FUN!!! I can't wait to hear a post-race report!:smile:
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom thanks I will do! Then at least I can wear shorts :)

Actually just had to add, I wasn't too sure how old your daughter was, from your posts. At some points I thought she was very young, like 5 or so, then you'd mention her in another post and I'd think 'omgosh, she's like college age!' Now that you mention she's 15, it all makes complete sense, LOL! (mom to a 16 year old here)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm hoping to be ready for a half Marathon in September. I have a running plan set up on Runkeeper, but it doesn't start until June, so the plan is to stay about where I'm at, doing 3-4 Miles 2-3 times a week, and a longer 5-6 mile once a week, so when the plan starts up, I'll be in the shape that the first runs are easy.....Hopefully
    @MNLittleFinn Depending on where you are shape-wise, it might make sense to start the plan one or two weeks earlier than determined by the race date. That way, if you miss a week due to injury/travel/work/whatever, you can still follow the plan without issues. And if you get close to race week and it turns out things went well and you didn't need the spare weels, you can just repeat some of the later weeks.

@skippygirlsmom Wow, no pain on the downhill, sounds like you are well on your way to recovery. Awesome!

@Virkati The prognosis from your PT sounds great too!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)

Nice and easy evening recovery run! Went down to the canal trail and got a cool, refreshing breeze off the water that took the sting out of the 80* starting temp (was about 75* when I got done; that's 25-26C for you lovely non-American folk :) ). Paced a bit faster than I thought I would, which seems to be the theme of the day.

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options

2/3........5k....... With Man flu
    4/3........5k
    6/3........7k
    9/3........5k..... The didn't go to the toilet before running, run. Pleasant.

Jan 45k
    Feb 61k
    Mar 22k

Goals for March:
    1. 13 runs @ 74km......4run at 22k
    2. 8km long run...........7k
    3. Be less slow............still slow
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Stoshew71 wrote: »
    The weakest link of your chain is most susceptible. Think of your entire body as a chain made up of a complex set of links. All the bones in your foot, ankle, shin (tibia/fibia), thigh bones, hips, ect. Then all the ligaments and tendons in each joint. Every time your foot hit's the ground, the ground impact forces get's absorbed by your entire leg all the way up through your body. All of these things are effected. In whatever is the weakest will get it first. But everything get's weak. But with enough rest in between and the right nutrition and sleep, everything slowly gets stronger.

Since it is so hard to figure out what would go first, the best thing to do if you are concerned about injury is to strengthen everything. Hips, core, IT band, glutes, calves, shins.

Here is an example of a workout you can do:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/workouts/10-essential-strength-exercises-for-runners

The other thing you will need to work on is good form. having bad running form (especially if you are compensating for weaker muscles) will make for inefficient movement (wasted energy) and using muscles to do things that they were not intended to do. This also leads to injury. So doing things like working on a faster candence with shorter steps, making sure you don't over stride, engage your glutes and lock your hips forward are all things to make you less imjury prone.

I am doing the "butt quarter" thing now and when I use the elliptical I set it on the glute setting. I suspect my weakest link is my ankles..not sure if there's anything I can do to target those, I tend to feel soreness around that area more. (I'm not feeling the hip soreness as much anymore..yeah!) I'm guessing by "locking" my hips you just mean to try and make sure I'm not swiveling them as I run? My cadence is not very fast though..not sure what will speed that up except lots and lots more running? I am doing some speedwork (strides) now here and there since the canned run program I'm using is calling for them... I'll look over the article. I'm so bad about doing strength stuff. :*

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    1---3.57 walk
    2---7.06
    3---3.55
    4---7.47 walk
    5---5.75
    6---3.03
    7--- worked late, DOMS- dog trimming, rain
    8---worked late, headache (soy allergy), rain
    9---6.61 CRAMPS!

37.06 miles/150

Upcoming races:
    03/19/16 Rock N Roll 5K Dallas
    03/20/16 Rock N Roll Half Dallas
    04/24/16 OKC Memorial undecided distance
    10/16/16 THAT dam half, Lewisville TX
    11/05/16 Jenks Half Jenks OK
    Run the year 2016  247.14/ 2016
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to be ready for a half Marathon in September. I have a running plan set up on Runkeeper, but it doesn't start until June, so the plan is to stay about where I'm at, doing 3-4 Miles 2-3 times a week, and a longer 5-6 mile once a week, so when the plan starts up, I'll be in the shape that the first runs are easy.....Hopefully
    @MNLittleFinn Depending on where you are shape-wise, it might make sense to start the plan one or two weeks earlier than determined by the race date. That way, if you miss a week due to injury/travel/work/whatever, you can still follow the plan without issues. And if you get close to race week and it turns out things went well and you didn't need the spare weels, you can just repeat some of the later weeks.
    @_nikkiwolf_ I might just do that. I'm already basically doing the running for the first couple weeks the way it is, in my normal routine.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    WOW! This place is hopping! I swear I checked it first thing this morning and then it said 78 new posts. I have to just skim the posts and try to read/comment on what I can. What an awesome, supportive group!

@karlLundy - sorry about your MIL. Hope your wife is doing okay.

@Ally_mf18007 - your dogs! so cute! Welcome!

@skippygirlsmom - Awesome news on the PT!

I've been doing strength training for almost two years and it has definitely helped with not getting injuries but somehow this week I'm suddenly having elbow soreness (biking or lifting related) and ankle soreness - from doing intervals and not focusing on form like I do when I go slow. But, I am going to just go slow the next few runs until it goes away. It's nothing serious just soreness.

March 1 - 5.05 miles + 1 hour spinning
    March 2 - strength training
    March 3 - 5K for Orlando City Soccer (not sure why they need $) + 1 mile warmup
    March 4- strength training
    March 5 - 43 mile bike ride (went 9 more than the usual 34 mile Sat ride).
    March 6 - 51 mile bike ride
    March 7 - 5 miles
    March 8 - recovery/rest day
    March 9 - 5.1 miles + strength training

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    rune1990 wrote: »
    @skippygirlsmom thanks I will do! Then at least I can wear shorts :)

Actually just had to add, I wasn't too sure how old your daughter was, from your posts. At some points I thought she was very young, like 5 or so, then you'd mention her in another post and I'd think 'omgosh, she's like college age!' Now that you mention she's 15, it all makes complete sense, LOL! (mom to a 16 year old here)

@rune1990 isn't it a delightful age ;-)
  • smilelaughlove17
    smilelaughlove17 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Got in another run tonight and, according to my new (Garmin) HRM....I need to slow way down on my training runs, but my estimated VO2 max is good for my age

3/1 2.03
    3/2 3.53
    3/5 6.00
    3/6 3.13
    3/7 3.26
    3/9 3.23

Total: 21.8/54