WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Thanks for the compliments. I showed the picture to D(not dear at the moment)H, and he said, "yeah, I can tell a big difference." (Pause while he waits for me to look happy.) "You're smiling in the second picture."

Tell me again why I stay married to this man for 41 years?

Oh, yeah, it's because he does my laundry!

:) That's why we have our women friends especially the women on this thread...husbands don't always know the right thing to say and often what they say sounds hurtful when they don't mean it to be that way.

:) You've made great progress and with your commitment to strength training, you'll continue to make even more progress.

• barbiecat
    Options
    Got the answer on the job. Came in second.

NSV-- instead of eating my feelings, I ran a couple miles instead.

Shower time, see if I can't find my big girl panties, and pull those on, and on to the next thing.

Lisa in West Texas

<3LIsa, not matter what they say, you're number one in my book.
  • tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the food tips. I ordered takeout tonight. Authentic mexican food that delivers. Can't beat that. Lol. May not be the best calorie wise but 4 tostada will feed me for 4 days for dinner or lunches. Going to go to the grocery store this weekend. Have not been there for weeks if I could not get it at Walgreens or someone else fed me did not eat it. Alot of protein shakes have been consumed.

Making an effort to get back on track and trying to be single again. (Whatever that is) just keep telling me baby steps. If I could just sleep well I think I would do a better job.

The support I have here has been amazing. Women I don't even know except online have given me so much support. Shout out to the TheRealMsWolf checking in with me daily. You are all amazing women.

Glad to see some of you are feeling better. Nothing worse than being sick or having family issues to derail you from your goals.

Anne from Wisconsin
  • barbiecat
    Options
    t110011.gif We had a huge windstorm last night and this morning. The power went off several times last night for just a few minutes and then for a few hours this morning. There are branches everywhere. While Brandy and I were walking there was a huge gust of wind that sent huge branches flying in our direction. After not getting hit with the branches, we made a huge change in our route and stayed off the roads with the big trees. I came home from dog walking to no electricity (no heat in the bathroom) and the challenge of getting the automatic garage door open and the nagging question of what to have for lunch. Fortunately the power was on when I got home. There were also two guys up the big tree next to our house, trimming branches.

:) Jake's medical procedure went OK but I didn't hear from him for over three hours after the procedure was scheduled. He's OK and back in his hotel room. He'll come home tomorrow. Being alone is a treat but the pets and I all miss him. It's a good thing he went over to Seattle yesterday instead of today because one of the bridges we cross to get there was closed for four hours this morning because of high winds. He might have been late to the hospital if he'd waited to go today.

:) I spent some time picking up debris from the yard this afternoon instead of doing my weight training. Now I'm doing things that I can do sitting down. I'll walk the dogs once more before going to bed.

<3 Barbie from currently non-stormy NW Washington
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,553 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day-
    ride hm 2 gym- 12.15min, 14.5amph, 19mph WINDS!, 147mhr, 2.9mi = 92c
    other-physical therapy @ gym- 35min, 11 stretches, 2sets of 10 some w/5lb weights = 78c
    ride gym 2 dome- 7.13min, 11.6amph, 145mhr 19mph WINDS! 1.4mi = 79c
    ride dome 2 hm- 17.46min, 130ahr, 153mhr, 9.2amph, 2.7mi = 205c
    454 total cal
  • barbiecat
    Options
    s9ioa997k45a.jpg

Here is the guy in the tree trimming branches after the big windstorm
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Jari Love's 1000 DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a step DVD.

Lisa - So sorry about the job. You ARE #1 here

Heather - I love miso soup from the pouch. It's also low in calories. I usually get the lower sodium version.

Debbie - welcome! I understand your love of snacking. Maybe having some grapes???

NCCarol - hope you get better real fast (you need to get out on more dates and let us know about them)

Anne from WI - while I'm not single, it's just the two of us. I thank god every day for my freezer! I cook normal amounts because many times if you don't, the food doesn't cook correctly. Then I portion it out and freeze it.

Cheri - cute pic. Love it! Just don't want to use that as my excuse

Miss Penn - welcome! We have four cats. My daughter gave me a magnet for my car that says "one cat short of being the crazy cat lady". When you try the new recipes, do you use ones with the nutritionals so you know the calorie count and other things?

Debbie - you'll soon find out that pip has a heart bigger than you can imagine, but she does love to kid. She's very good at putting a smile on your face.

Chris - I'm the same way you are, I can't remember the last time I had fast food and I make most of our food from scratch, too. There's a good recipe for cream of cauliflower soup on SkinyTaste that's not high in calories at all. Hey, I usually do most of my cooking on the weekend, too!

Made some Irish soda bread to take to bowling tonight. See, we used to have this one bowler and every year right before St. Patrick's day he would bring Irish soda bread. He isn't a member this year, but I felt I had to make it in keeping with his tradition.

DJ - have fun at the beach. I guess I should go out and wash my car.

miriam - that is so wonderful of you to take in special needs cats. Vince and I volunteer at the Humane Society and they had this one cat who would poop everywhere. So many times he was adopted (the people were told about the pooping issue), but then brought back. Finally someone like yourself adopted him. I felt bad, the poor cat only had one eye, it had some sort of disease when it came into the shelter. Jess adopted a diabetic cat. Actually, they waived the adoption fee because they knew that she was going to have ongoing expenses. I found your exercises very interesting. I'm always on the lookout for things I can do in my pool/spa

drkatiebug - wow!

Carol/peach - a whopper and fries doesn't recessarily mean the whole day is blown. Just be very conscious of what you have for dinner. You are so right, being with your sis and mom is very important. Of course, tomorrow is another day also.

Heather - how wonderful that son got more than the asking price of his house. I do hope he gets the one they made the offer on.

Chris - so sorry about Melody. How nice of your boss not only telling you to take the time as sick time but also giving you that gift card.

Had Newcomer bowling tonight. I took the soda bread. It really didn't get eaten but while people were leaving I told them to take a piece home and it's all gone!!!

Skimming because I want to see the Republican debate

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Heather: I hope your son and DDIL get the place they've made an offer on. It sounds wonderful. :bigsmile:

Dr. Katie: Onederland is close and you'll be there soon. Yay! Keep up the great work. :flowerforyou: I get my toes done in American Pedi, white tips and clear polish on the rest of the toes. They look good for ages. :devil:

Sue in WA: I looked up sarcoidosis becasue I don't know much about it. I hope this flare eases soon. :heart:

Lisa: I'm sorry about the job and hope just the right thing comes up to replace it. Perhaps you could write a best seller based on your recent restaurant impossible experience. It could either be a comedy of errors by various staff members, or a murder mystery. (((hugs)))

Kim: A kid's cookbook is a great idea! Thank you!!!!! I hope I can find one. :bigsmile:

Barbie: The wind sounds like it did a number in your area. We've had a few blustery days, but nothing as serious as what you just went through. You never know what may be coming along. :ohwell: I'm glad to hear that Jake's procedure went well and he is doing okay. :heart:

We went back to the VW dealer to get my car today. It was part of the huge recall caused by manufacturing errors. The put a bolt into it somewhere, but no place that I can see. It runs great. I plan to go to yoga tomorrow and horseback riding on Saturday. Simple things keep me happy. :bigsmile:

I have a question and hope someone has experience and can offer an opinion. I am now taking fosamax for bone density. I take the one that is daily. According to the directions, I have to take it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with a least a 1 to 1.5 cups of water. Then I have to wait half an hour before I can ingest anything else. Even coffee. :noway: This is not the world's best morning routine. :grumble: I know there is a version that is taken once a week. Does anybody have experience with this? Do you like it? Can you give me information about it?

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.

30881843.png
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Got the answer on the job. Came in second.

NSV-- instead of eating my feelings, I ran a couple miles instead.

Shower time, see if I can't find my big girl panties, and pull those on, and on to the next thing.

Lisa in West Texas
    I feel your pain Lisa, happened to me twice since December. I was in shock both times, especially when the feedback for the first position was that I was "awesome" and the second position was they thought I was "phenomenal". I handled the first rejection much better than the second. Good for you for not eating your feelings.
    Many (((hugs)))

Chris in MA

• Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    csofled wrote: »
    Annr wrote: »
    So my neighbor gave me some southern fried chicken, chicken gravy, and mashed potatoes that she had leftover from her Sunday brunch with friends. My son loved it, and I tried a bite of everything, but was a bit too rich for me. I had my wild rice, spinach, and tilapia dinner instead. I did tell a little white lie this morning when I returned her containers that I so loved it, and my son pigged out on it! She beamed at me. Things we do.....
    Becca
    Oregon

Thought of you Becca when I saw this today!
    tk3gmjac6fm7.jpg

Cheri
    Fairlawn, oHIo

I LIKE it!!
    Becca
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Katla, I never thought to get a pedi in American. I have even got a French pedi at the same time I got an American mani. I'll have to consider that. I usually do get French once sandal weather hits, but it's $5.00 extra, and I'm probably going to cover it up with socks and running shoes.

Just got back from bridge. I was high scorer. Yay! I won 75 cents!

DH, bless her heart, said that about the smile to deliberately annoy me. He has actually commented that he sees more muscle definition in my legs, so he can compliment me when he chooses to. He teases me to show affection. I have to admit I do it to him, too, so I guess turn around is fair play.
  • Annr
    edited March 2016
    Options
    So all of you who are single and cook for themselves only no kids at home etc what do you make. I need stuff that is not to difficult to make. Dinner time has been the worst for me. If it is not easy I just don't eat.

Anne from Wisconsin
    Anne from Wisconsin~
    I have a husband and son that I cook for, but essentially I do make my own stuff, so like single and cook for myself, just have to Play Chef for them. This is my favorite meal:

I have a large pan, put in 1/4 cup of hearty rice uncooked, (Royal Select blend is what I use, has lots of different rices all together).
    1 tsp olive oil, dash of pepper, dash of cayenne pepper, dash of tumeric
    Sometimes I add some zucchini, or shitake mushrooms chopped up
    Add two cups of water, and 1 tsp of Better Than Bouillon chicken flavored (its a paste in a jar)
    cover on med/low for about 15 minutes until rice tastes done, and some of the fluid is steamed off.
    Sometimes I add a tilapia fillet for the last 10 minutes, just lay it on the rice mixture.
    Sometimes I add some diced tomatoes and simmer that with the rice.
    Sometimes I pile fresh spinach on top of the rice mixture and let that wilt and toss into the rice.
    Most of the time I add some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.

I usually get out whatever I have in the frig in the way of veggies that I want to use, chop and weigh it and pile it uncooked on a plate. That goes for the bouillon, the spinach, the Parmesan cheese too. I just put my filled tsps on the prep area. I pretend I am Julia Child and just add stuff dramatically. Especially with the spices! I take a pinch of the jars and add with a FLOURISH!! Have fun!
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    <3
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I pretend I am Julia Child and just add stuff dramatically. Especially with the spices! I take a pinch of the jars and add with a FLOURISH!! Have fun!
    Becca
    YESS <3<3 I sing and dance when I cook. <3 Makes the food come out better dontcha know. :laugh:

Larisa in Seattle
  • Annr
    edited March 2016
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Finally made quinoa that I could eat! Rinsed and rinsed it. Then made an adapted southwestern salad with it. Feeling food righteous!!

Beth

I saute' with 1 tsp olive oil some spices, (allspice, turmeric, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper) then add the two cups of water with 1 tsp of Better Than Bouillon chicken flavor and add the rinsed quinoa. I have been having salad with it for two days now! Fresh spinach, feta cheese crumbled, slivered almonds, dried cranberries, 1/4 cup of the prepared quinoa, and some lite Italian dressing 1 tblsp. Yummy!!
  • Annr
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I pretend I am Julia Child and just add stuff dramatically. Especially with the spices! I take a pinch of the jars and add with a FLOURISH!! Have fun!
    Becca
    YESS <3<3 I sing and dance when I cook. <3 Makes the food come out better dontcha know. :laugh:

Larisa in Seattle

Larisa in Seattle~ Hahaha.. My favorite saying of all time.
    THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENT IN FOOD PREPARATION IS YOUR MOOD!
    I firmly believe that :smile:
    Becca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
  • Annr
    Options
    So we finally got power back on after losing it last night at about 6pm. So maybe without power for 22 hrs. Enough to really appreciate all the electrical items we are blessed with. Husband and I took power naps today. I think I actually went into hibernation for a wee bit! We did go to the pool today, and saw all the devastation in our area from here in Hammond to Seaside. Our neighbor across the street had a tree come down next to his house. Slammed with such force though that his whole house went off its foundation and not livable. Winds got up to 75mph, but the darkness is what I had a problem with. It was just too dark to actually sleep soundly. It made me feel claustrophobic! I know, silly Becca....

This evening I cooked up a STORM. Steak cut thin and dipped in a mixture of spices, breading, and Parmesan cheese then flash saute'ed in olive oil. Then some boiled potatoes that about disintegrated in the water! I added the butter, the milk and made baby food I SWEAR! Had to add some instant mashed potato mix to keep it all together, then thru it in the oven along with some brownies. Son was freaking out about his laptop not working (couldn't type an E on it...strange).....so I was trying to make him feel better by letting/getting him distracted and licking the brownie bowl! It worked! Made instant gravy, too.... (that is 5 minutes I won't get back....get THICK already....so fake looking... )
    Well, take care all!
    Becca
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Shep is 4 months old today!

cgknnz8pte04.jpeg

<3

Mary from Minnesota
  • Annr
    Options
    Awe Mary from MinnesotaShep is a cutie! All ears and legs!
    Becca