March 2016 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Going to rest tomorrow, and maybe do a quick 1.5 miles at lunch. Sat is one of my first big "tests" I have for myself before deciding on whether I want to do that half marathon in Sept. Going to run a "half a half" I have a 6.58mi course picked out. If that goes well (as in I can actually do it and hopefully in under 1:15:40) I may just sign up for that half this weekend. I know it's a long way out, but, I want to have plenty of time to train to avoid injuries
  • freakymistkd
    freakymistkd Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    March Goal - 50km walking

March 11 - 6km
    March total - 33km

17km to go :smile:

• JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    3.1.16 - 7.2 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
    3.3.16 - 11 m. : 89:30.
    3.4.16 - 6.6 m. : 59:45.
    3.5.16 - 7.1 m. : 68:42.
    3.6.16 - 18.6 m. : LR, North side of Lake.
    3.7.16 - 7.2 m. : 5K EZ; 4.1 miles @ under an 8 min/mile pace.
    3.9.16 - 7 m. : Rolling Hills preset program.
    3.10.16 - 9 m. : 7:58 overall pace.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    3/1: Rest day
    3/2: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/3: 7 miles speedwork (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)
    3/4: Rest day
    3/5: 7.3 miles
    3/6: 15.2 miles
    3/7: 6 miles with Joe to Go crew
    3/8: Rest day
    3/9: 12 miles (am), 5 miles (pm)
    3/10: 8 miles (am), 6 miles with Thursday crew (pm)

Pub Run was such a hit! We had about 40 people show (our usual Thursday group is more in the 15 person range), and it was so much fun! People were in such a good mood because the weather this week has been phenomenal and it was still in the 70s when we started our run. Went to the brewery after and got my free beer, bought a beer and a burger for dinner (expensive but worth it as I was starving!), then someone else bought me a 3rd beer, so now it's definitely time to go to bed! Just wanted to update you lovely folks first :)

I usually don't run Fridays, but I will probably run just a couple really easy miles tomorrow to hit 65 for the week and stay limber for the 5k race on Saturday. I don't want to be sore and ambivalent on Saturday morning like I was last week. Gotta have my game face on!!

exercise.png

Upcoming Races:
    3/12: Run O' The Mill 5K (Clinton, NJ)
    4/3: Caesar Rodney HM (Wilmington, DE)
    5/1: New Jersey Marathon (Lots of towns, NJ)
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    March Running Totals (miles)
    [2/28 – 7.78 easy]
    [2/29 – 7.22 easy + 4 strides]
    3/1 – 9.31 warm up + 8 x Yasso 800s
    3/2 – 6.02 easy
    3/3 – 15.05 easy
    3/4 – scheduled rest day
    3/5 – 17.01 2 easy, 13 MP, 2 easy
    Weekly total 62.39 vs. target 62

3/6 – 7.70 easy
    3/7 – 8.17 easy + 4 strides
    3/8 – 11.67 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/9 – 11.03 easy
    3/10 – 8.92 warm up, speed work, cool down
    3/11 – scheduled rest day
    3/12 –
    Weekly total TBD vs. target 62

March total to date – 94.88

Goal – 56, 62, or 68 miles per week, per training plan
    Expected March total - ~282 miles

Today's notes – Today was the last indoor track speed workout; next Tuesday, the club moves back outside. Ran 2 miles easy, then 2 x 2 miles at T with 2 minutes recovery, then 2 more miles easy. Without GPS, Garmin overestimates distance on my fast paces; but I've been recording what Garmin came up with. Probably should overshoot the weekly target by a mile or so to be close in reality.

Rest day tomorrow, then a 5 mile race on Saturday. I'll need 10 or 11 easy miles in addition to the race; I know where 7.5 of them will come from. By Saturday, I'll have a plan and it will all work out.

Upcoming races:
    March 12, 2016 Johnny's Runnin' of the Green 5 mile (Rochester, NY)
    March 26, 2016 Spring Forward Distance Run 15K (Mendon, NY)
    April 18, 2016 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA)
  • Becky_44
    Becky_44 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Consider yourself blessed!!
    9voice9 wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    We can do that. We can just start adding a note with our mileage. I'm bad about it. I always until I'm hurting a few days. I've been eyeing the tennis ball all evening.

Okay - what am I missing? I've never felt the need to roll or anything. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I almost never do a stretch or anything before I head out for a run - am I missing something here too?

• HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    March Goal: Run often

3/1 3.44
    3/2 9.27
    3/3 rest
    3/4 3.30
    3/5 meh
    3/6 3.70
    3/7 3.12
    3/8 struggling
    3/9 mightily
    3/10 5.00

Total 27.53

Upcoming races:
    3/20 Big Island International 1/2 marathon
    6/26 SHEPower Virtual 1/2 marathon
    11/13 Las Vegas Rock n Roll 1/2 marathon

Ticker is my goal for 2016 and accumulation to date:

exercise.png

• Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Got in a reasonable run tonight but didn't do a full 20, as I had a guest arriving from the airport, have an early (fast) group ride in the AM, and got in 18 on Monday as well. Heading down to the keys tomorrow for a 5 day bike trip across them, so I'll need to cut back my running mileage with the extra time on the bike.

3/1 - 3.5 miles
    3/2 - 10 miles
    3/3 - 5 miles
    3/4 - 3 miles
    3/6 - 11 miles
    3/7 - 18 miles
    3/8 - 7.5 miles
    3/10 - 13 miles

Total: 71 miles
    Goal: 200 miles
    Remaining: 129 miles
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Okay - what am I missing? I've never felt the need to roll or anything. And if I'm being perfectly honest, I almost never do a stretch or anything before I head out for a run - am I missing something here too?

Was wondering the same thing

Ha-ha! Maybe it just us old folks! Helps soreness, prevents fascia pain, loosens muscles, helps me with muscle imbalance issues and prevents additional scaring around nerves.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/how-to-use-a-foam-roller
    I had one of those - read about it here and in RW and pretty much everywhere else, so I felt like I had to try! I used it maybe three times, and it felt really awkward to me to try rolling around on the thing. It then went to lie around in a corner for a few month, and when I moved, I finally gave it away. I'm going to stick to traditional streching...
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    But if you do it right, one day you realize that 6 miles or 8 miles is now an easy run, when you used to consider 3 or 4 miles an easy run. This sneaks up on you.
    Funny, I just had the same thought yesterday, when I came back from a 12km run. A year ago I would have called that my "long run", prepared for it with hydration bottle and some mid-run snacks, and been super-hyped if I actually managed to go the whole distance (more than 10km!) without walking breaks. Yesterday I just logged it as an "easy run", and the challenge about it was not running that far, but finding the time (I'm still slow - took me 90+ min). When did 12km become an easy distance for me?!

@skippygirlsmom Spiderman in a tutu? That sounds hilarious, I'm sure nobody else will have the same costume!

@ceciliaslater How annoying! Even if they didn't feel like calling all patients and canceling the appointments, a sign at the door would seem like the minimum they could do when they close down.
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Bit behind so far this month, but I did get out for a quick run last night. I admire all you guys and your dedication to running, for me it's still something i'm doing 'when I can find time' right now. I try and get out 3 times a week, and I can see progress, but I need to start making more of an effort if I want to really see results. I'm hoping to do a 5k for a cancer charity in June so I must start pushing myself a bit more.

exercise.png
  • sheilatbrecht
    sheilatbrecht Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[img][/img]
  • ccnagain
    ccnagain Posts: 50 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Only 1.16mi today but it is better then the 0 that I thought of doing :neutral:
    exercise.png
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    01/03 3.5miles
    02/03 3.5miles
    04/03 3.5miles
    05/03 3 miles
    07/03 3 miles
    09/03 4.5miles
    11/03 5 miles

exercise.png
  • Ron_Dco
    Ron_Dco Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Date.................KM...................Total
    3/2..................04.13.................04.13 (Walk)
    3/3..................02.62.................6.75 (Walk / Run)
    3/4..................03.40.................10.15 (Walk / Run)
    3/5..................04.37.................14.52 (Walk / Run)
    3/6..................01.52.................16.04 (Run)
    3/10.................01.58.................17.62 (Walk)

Upcoming races: 10 April (5K)

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    1-nothing yet
    2-yoga
    3-sicker yet. sick sick sick
    4-still sick
    so since i had no running to blog about i made a blog with some running memes.
    Happy Friday
    5-nothing
    6-nothing
    7-3.77, it felt nice. lots of people out so dog couldn't come with. i have to keep working on socialization
    8-nothing yet
    9-yoga
    10-new medicine-nauseous
    11-yoga
    12-Great Pi Race 5k

i need to catch up. i'm very far behind. i got out of the habit.

RACES:
    Jan 16-Frosty 5k-33:43:123 (gun time-don't have chip time)
    Feb 13-Steve Cullen Run 8k chip time: 53:37
    Feb 15 Puppy Love Virtual Run 10k runkeeper time: 1:13:20
    Mar 14-Great Pi Run
    May 7-Door County Half Marathon
    ?Jun 11-Rock n Sole 5 or 8k? honeymoon might interfere
    June 19th through Sunday, July 10th SHE Power Virtual Half

exercise.png

• pcarvalho3
    pcarvalho3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

exercise.png

Looking forward to Saturday, weather is supposed to be nice (at least for Montréal) :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey you Saucony wearers, Woot has a sale (50% off or more) going on right now on many models of Saucony shoes. I'm going to display some restraint for once and not buy any but thought there may be some here who would be interested. If you're not familiar with Woot, they're a part of Amazon and they specialize in one day closeout sales.

http://www.woot.com/plus/saucony-mens-and-womens-running-shoes-4?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=8832fe88db-Daily+Digest+-+20160311+-+Woot&utm_medium=email

As for me, I'm 10 pages behind on this thread. I did get in a 5.9 mile run with Kody last night night and am really looking forward to Saturday's 14 mile run. I have a state trail picked out. The trail is 60 miles long, and in various places it's crushed limestone, crushed granite, asphalt, and mowed grass. My goal is to run it all in 2016.

2wghkfhpqmzh.jpeg
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Hey you Saucony wearers, Woot has a sale (50% off or more) going on right now on many models of Saucony shoes. I'm going to display some restraint for once and not buy any but thought there may be some here who would be interested. If you're not familiar with Woot, they're a part of Amazon and they specialize in one day closeout sales.

http://www.woot.com/plus/saucony-mens-and-womens-running-shoes-4?utm_source=Daily+Digest&utm_campaign=8832fe88db-Daily+Digest+-+20160311+-+Woot&utm_medium=email
    2wghkfhpqmzh.jpeg
    If My Nike's didn't only have 20 miles on them, and if I'd had any experience with Saucony's, I'd be in deep trouble right now.....don't want to even risk that cheap on shoes I haven't tried....oh well, guess it's all for the best

• karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    3/3 - 3.25 miles on indoor track
    3/5 - 4 windy miles.
    3/6 - 6.5 flat, windy, hot (72°) miles...sweaty.
    3/9 - 3.46 miles
    3/10 - 4.45 miles on treadmill (Trek class)
    3/11 - 4 miles on indoor track + weights

exercise.png
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    We can do that. We can just start adding a note with our mileage. I'm bad about it. I always until I'm hurting a few days. I've been eyeing the tennis ball all evening.

I'm with you on this one. I don't stretch, and I don't foam roll. My boyfriend, however, is very adamant about both of those things. I only foam roll or use the "torture ball" (I have no idea what it's actually called, but it's blue, about the size of a cantaloupe, and covered in little spikes and nubs) when he hounds me about it after I complain of soreness for a few days (like my current shoulder issue). Sometimes, I feel like it helps, but usually only temporary. Regardless, doing it is awkward, uncomfortable, and often painful. I'd much rather see a chiropractor and/or massage therapist and have them fix my issues instead of squirming around on the floor squishing some part of my body on a cylindrical piece of hard foam...but that might be just me. I know a bunch of people who swear by it.

@kristinegift: Princeton is a beautiful town! I'm glad you came to like the area. I wouldn't mind living/working there, myself. A good friend of mine (who is more-or-less family to my boyfriend) is the head coach for varsity boy's at Princeton National Rowing Association.