WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2016

Options

Replies

• tryingtolive1
    tryingtolive1 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No motivation today. Plan was to hit the ground running. Not so much. Only laundry and taxes done. Did take the dog for a small walk. She has some hip issues so the length of the walk depends on where she is at with that.

Suppose to go to bday party tonight really don't want to go. All I keep thinking is going by myself and feeling sorry for myself. Probably part of lack of motivation today.

Lenora glad to see you back. Was wondering where you had been since I normally see a post from you everyday.

Anne from Wisconsin

• oceanmelody
    oceanmelody Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Trees...well the lovely local electric company went down the street and lopped off/disfigured most of the trees on the street recently. That was bad enough but today when we went out to do the first day of yard work we discovered that one of the branches they kept on was still sawed part way through! So now we have to complain but the damage is done. This beautiful maple with glorious yellow leaves in the fall...
    Wondering if we should be starting to plan for a new tree in the middle of the yard so five years from now when there is nothing left of the lovely tree we have another in adolescent stage ready to go. Of course I do not think we will be here five years from now... This yard is too big for people in their dotage to handle.
    Otherwise it was a beautiful day to be outside...hope my back will not complain later on.
    Betty
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    My neice got a big box of jewelry from an elderly friend of her parents that passed. She asked me to make her a Christmas tree with it. Just finished it last night. Will take if to her when I go to Denver for my daughters commencement from universty. By the way, my daughter will graduate Cum Laude. She did this while working full time and three teenagers.tsvoe23dybwr.jpg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I've been learning Spanish on Duolingo. I already knew how to order beer, (Cerveza, por favor,) but as to gaining language ability--I'm having more fun than success so far. Having fun is worthwhile. Right? :laugh:

Lillian: We had flu symptoms from just after Thanksgiving to New Years. I hope you're better much faster than that. (((hugs)))

Lisa: I have a handmade Myrtlewood grandmother clock that my mom left to my son. He doesn't want it. Neither does my daughter. I'm planning to leave it to my granddaughter. :devil:

Anne from WI: (((HUGS)))!

janetr: The jewel tree is a treasure. :heart:

My riding lesson was great today. I cantered until I was in sync with the horse. Progress!!! :bigsmile: :heart: :bigsmile:

239603iu9tyt3tga.gif

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

March Resolutions :
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on flexibility and back strength.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Monitor sleep. Try to average 7 or more hours of sleep nightly.
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hello all, I have been reading the posts but mainly in the catch up position. Here is a book for introduction. Something about me....50yr and in the PNW. We too had the windstorms and trees down everywhere. We lose power so much the lost groceries were more than a generator so now the power outages are not as rough. I have over a 100 lbs to lose and it is/will be a massive journey. My second time on MFP but I am more focused and somehow know it will work this time. As far as I can tell it takes self-esteem to do this journey and I had none. One weird day/miracle I stumbled on Brene Brown's TED talk and it changed my life. I got her book and spent months dealing with things. Let some rough past go and started the healing process. My january goal was to log on MFP. that was it..not to lose just log. I was successful with 11 pounds into feb. and learned it takes me six weeks to learn a new habit. Feb. goal was to do exercise 3 days a week for 10 minutes each day. Not much from the powerhouse stand point of you ladies but way more better than the nothing I have done for years. First one was just a gentle stretch dvd. I could not believe the pain and limitations. I used to be so strong...wtf. Gave up and denial. I AM NOT GIVING UP! I can do that stretch vid easier and got some beginning others to work up too.

I live by the arena quote by Teddy Roosevelt: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. -"

So in the spirit of getting back up I looked at feb goals and why they derailed. It is a process right? I work 60-90 hrs a work..."no time" was excuse number one. Excuse 2- never sleep and chronic insomnia. What do I do with my off time-I am a hard core gamer and I make time for that...massive contributor to couch potato weakened state was reality discovery. Also, I am a massive stress eater so dealing with loss of comfort food eating was ok in Jan. but not when adding feb. exercise. Made the hard choice and I am in process of giving up gaming (combined with managing stress eating). Been offline since Feb. 23rd. It is rough being in withdrawal and lose of second major stress coping mechanism. So working on better/healthier stress coping mechanisms. My health and I deserve it. Feel free to tell me how you guys deal with stress.

Work is hell at the moment. Dealing with unethical behavior of a partner and the clean-up and legal ramifications of that. Large amounts of betrayal and rats leaving the sinking ship. Been at it for 6 months and will be in court for years. Ties into my past issues and is shifting my world view at the moment. This is not meant to be negative just the reality of my life atm and a stressor I have to manage. Trying to find my way through back to positive belief in the world/people and I think I will get there. I am choosing to be someone nice in spite of what has been done. They will not take that from me. Also trying to give up the anger and wanting Karma to take its toll, thank goodness justice is not in my hangs. Some days are easier than others.

So March is to give up gaming month and keep logging. Hopefully get in some exercise. It is not pretty and my calories are too high and I am not exercising like I wanted but IMO I am still standing and this is all I can do this month. I count that a success because it is part of clearing the obstacles to my eventual success and it is taking care of me. My DH (?dear husband) is very supportive of it all. I posted backgrounds of inspiration quotes for my desktop of the hiking stuff I am trying to get too. I read of all the people who face tough challenges and yet eat right, exercise and keep going and am so inspired! I promise no book again...thanks all.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    /Penny at the emoticon-object-026.gif~ They DO grow tree's big here in the Northwest! On the coast here, there is a lot of moss/algae that grows on anything left outside, including autos! Mostly trucks I have noticed, some people just don't worry about ever putting their autos thru a car wash, so the lower half mostly is dirt that has bloomed somewhat into algae. Crazy!

Regarding heat, we have yet to turn on ours. We let the downstairs neighbors heat our apartment! Totally works for us! If I do get chilly, there is always sweaters and socks for our toes! We are an American Family run Japanese style, so no shoes worn in the house.

Today I am back on track with eating. Went a bit nuts last night, eating 3 chocolate chip cookies, my small snack bag of Almonds, a bowl of quinoa with some shredded Parmesan cheese on it. No great damage, just was up late and since I had eaten a late lunch, I didn't eat dinner, and THAT caught up with me. After going to the food bank yesterday and getting a lot of great things for me, terrible tempting snacks for son and husband, I just didn't plan my time wisely. A bit of a visual overload, but I am back to healthy earth now!

Tonight having my typical low calorie sweet meal of carrots, margarine and brown sugar mixture, with walnuts. It seems to go right to my sweet tooth and satisfy it!

Also allotted popcorn tonight, so when I am sitting and reading I can munch slowly!

We had a chat with the 17 yr old yesterday. He has a wee bit of an anger issue when it comes to dealing with his computer. A year ago, he pinched the screen closed in anger, breaking the screen a bit with his laptop. He lied about it to his father, but my husband knew exactly what had happened and son finally came clean with what he had done. We are still waiting for son to show us that he has it under control. After the power outage son
    noticed that for some reason some of his keys don't operate. We admitted we are hesitant in going out and buying a new computer for him to up and break. I expressed to my son that we know he only has anger issues when it comes to playing the laptop. So its a matter of priorities I think. He tries to listen to music, skype to friends and play a computer game all at the same time. He just needs to pick one (maybe two) things and do those only. Last week when I told him to stop getting so angry at his game, he kind of talked back to me saying he wasn't. I told him I didn't appreciate that TONE... (remember when our own moms said that?? lol) He later came up to me, giving me a hug saying he was sorry. He's a great kid, but for some reason when he has free time he chooses to yell at his computer... *long sigh*

Well time for lunch for me, and to guzzle water.....Oh guess what???? TOM came to visit me (time of month)....The last time I went thru that was December 2015...and the time before THAT was January 2015.... I am soooo mental pausal...

Becca
    Mz. Mental Pausual Momma.
    in Oregon
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Katla, thanks. I have enough of the jewelry to do another tree that I want to have done to take too.

I don't understand kids not wanting an old clock like that. (:

Glad the riding went well. You're doing so well with it. Plus having fun.

Janetr okc
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    Afternoon fun~ having an argument about my kidney dr and how much they charge and what isn't covered by insurance, I changed Dr's thinking that might help and nooooo still yappin about it... Told him can't help having kidney disease, maybe if I keeled over that would help you(this I told to Tom) but then there wouldn't be another paycheck coming in..
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    No motivation today. Plan was to hit the ground running. Not so much. Only laundry and taxes done. Did take the dog for a small walk. She has some hip issues so the length of the walk depends on where she is at with that.

Suppose to go to bday party tonight really don't want to go. All I keep thinking is going by myself and feeling sorry for myself. Probably part of lack of motivation today.

Lenora glad to see you back. Was wondering where you had been since I normally see a post from you everyday.

Anne from Wisconsin

You have a full time job all week, so getting laundry and taxes done on Saturday is a major accomplishment for Saturday along with walking the dog.

It took me until I was way past 50 to figure out that I don't like parties...I don't do well at small talk and I want to stay away from recreational eating, so I decline invitations to parties and feel better for having done so. I just say that I am not available to go.

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    trailgirl ... Thank you for sharing some of your story. It is a major victory that you are still standing and refusing to give up!! Stress eating plagues most of us here and a lot of us have heavy loads of stress. So glad you have a supportive husband! You mentioned giving up gaming ... I think when we give something up, we need to replace it with something else. I recently read that we spend an incredible amount of time and money on hobbies of all kinds ... And that's fine ... But imagine what would happen if we made health our hobby?? I am tak g this approach ... Spending time on recipes, cooking, exercise, reading, etc. that supports my new hobby ... A healthier me! So I guess I'm saying in a round about way that you might want to not just give up the gaming, but replace it with something else that will either give you joy or health or just because.

Beth near Buffalo, NY
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Penny at the Pole, Google "dead bug exercise." You will be amazed.

And y'all thought picking up blueberries was funny.......

So now we know...to strengthen your core, you must pick up blueberries and hold dead bugs.

Oh, the visuals....

I am falling over with laughter. When did exercising get so imaginativr?
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    CSSJ09 wrote: »
    drkatiebug wrote: »
    Penny at the Pole, Google "dead bug exercise." You will be amazed.

And y'all thought picking up blueberries was funny.......

So now we know...to strengthen your core, you must pick up blueberries and hold dead bugs.

Oh, the visuals....

I am falling over with laughter. When did exercising get so imaginativr?

Along with my spelling
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I have been reading the posts but mainly in the catch up position. Here is a book for introduction. Something about me....50yr and in the PNW. We too had the windstorms and trees down everywhere. We lose power so much the lost groceries were more than a generator so now the power outages are not as rough. I have over a 100 lbs to lose and it is/will be a massive journey. My second time on MFP but I am more focused and somehow know it will work this time. As far as I can tell it takes self-esteem to do this journey and I had none. One weird day/miracle I stumbled on Brene Brown's TED talk and it changed my life. I got her book and spent months dealing with things. Let some rough past go and started the healing process. My january goal was to log on MFP. that was it..not to lose just log. I was successful with 11 pounds into feb. and learned it takes me six weeks to learn a new habit. Feb. goal was to do exercise 3 days a week for 10 minutes each day. Not much from the powerhouse stand point of you ladies but way more better than the nothing I have done for years. First one was just a gentle stretch dvd. I could not believe the pain and limitations. I used to be so strong...wtf. Gave up and denial. I AM NOT GIVING UP! I can do that stretch vid easier and got some beginning others to work up too.

I live by the arena quote by Teddy Roosevelt: "It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat. -"

So in the spirit of getting back up I looked at feb goals and why they derailed. It is a process right? I work 60-90 hrs a work..."no time" was excuse number one. Excuse 2- never sleep and chronic insomnia. What do I do with my off time-I am a hard core gamer and I make time for that...massive contributor to couch potato weakened state was reality discovery. Also, I am a massive stress eater so dealing with loss of comfort food eating was ok in Jan. but not when adding feb. exercise. Made the hard choice and I am in process of giving up gaming (combined with managing stress eating). Been offline since Feb. 23rd. It is rough being in withdrawal and lose of second major stress coping mechanism. So working on better/healthier stress coping mechanisms. My health and I deserve it. Feel free to tell me how you guys deal with stress.

Work is hell at the moment. Dealing with unethical behavior of a partner and the clean-up and legal ramifications of that. Large amounts of betrayal and rats leaving the sinking ship. Been at it for 6 months and will be in court for years. Ties into my past issues and is shifting my world view at the moment. This is not meant to be negative just the reality of my life atm and a stressor I have to manage. Trying to find my way through back to positive belief in the world/people and I think I will get there. I am choosing to be someone nice in spite of what has been done. They will not take that from me. Also trying to give up the anger and wanting Karma to take its toll, thank goodness justice is not in my hangs. Some days are easier than others.

So March is to give up gaming month and keep logging. Hopefully get in some exercise. It is not pretty and my calories are too high and I am not exercising like I wanted but IMO I am still standing and this is all I can do this month. I count that a success because it is part of clearing the obstacles to my eventual success and it is taking care of me. My DH (?dear husband) is very supportive of it all. I posted backgrounds of inspiration quotes for my desktop of the hiking stuff I am trying to get too. I read of all the people who face tough challenges and yet eat right, exercise and keep going and am so inspired! I promise no book again...thanks all.

Dear Trailgirl777~ Thanks for posting! It's tough to make changes, and easy to just settle, but you are worth the effort! I can relate with you on the habits of gaming, in that I was addicted to Facebook. It was an escape from the realities of my life. My marriage suffered, and almost collapsed from it all, but we got thru it. The best way I knew to get thru the internet addiction was to be denied it all cold turkey. Passwords changed and I reconnected to the world around me. So now we take walks, we talk. Now I know your husband and you aren't having problems, and that is where my situation and yours take different paths. I found that getting validation from my own self, felt better then getting the ego stroking from total strangers. I have found that with most major changes in a life, it is emotionally messy. It has to be, but the result is pure bliss. Do simple changes that you can manage, not an overnight overhaul. Some things I have done:

-getting a pile of index cards and writing mantras, great sayings of motivational things, that I can thumb thru every week. I think of it as re-programming my brain.

-get a chalkboard (or spray paint something with chalkboard paint) and put up important things that will get you thru the week.

-get a journal and write write WRITE. Putting stresses down on paper, makes them real, and then you can release them! Change what you can, and just let go.

-new mantra for me is : I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

It's nice to totally live an honest, real, life along with my husband. For so many years I had lived a life that I didn't measure up to, or feel worthy of.

Another saying that speaks volumes to me is: When I figure out what is eating me, I won't want to eat as much.
    Welcome to the group!
    Becca
    Oregon
  • trailgirl777
    trailgirl777 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    thank you for the words of hope Becca and ideas. It seems you understand the loss of life from that escapism habit. I am in reality now and it is a fearful thing to reconnect and so many things that have to be fixed from years of avoidance. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. My husband are talking like we have not in a long time and I feel like we are rediscovering each other. It is a gift. I love your quote: When I figure out what is eating me, I won't want to eat as much.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    stats for the day:
    jog- 47.47min, 9.28ap, 1-4mi @ 6.2-6.4sp w/1# ankle weights, 1 mi @ 6.5-7.0sp w/o weights, 165mhr, 142ahr = 500c
    other- Skip/sidestep- 18min, 130ahr, 158mhr = 165c
    other- Stretches 14min 3sets of 10 w/5# weights = 79c
    other- yard work- 1hr 21min, 90ahr = 310c
    total cal 1054
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Katla, I knew there was someone else in Oregon! I loved the myrtle wood pieces while we were in Coos Bay for three years, but came back to Texas without one...and now I find them here!
  • janetr7476
    Options
    Wow, Pip, just wow. :smiley:

Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options

Able to finally finish picking up that area. fina632u2c2q5tol.jpeg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,906 Member
    Options
    Trees...well the lovely local electric company went down the street and lopped off/disfigured most of the trees on the street recently. That was bad enough but today when we went out to do the first day of yard work we discovered that one of the branches they kept on was still sawed part way through! So now we have to complain but the damage is done. This beautiful maple with glorious yellow leaves in the fall...
    Wondering if we should be starting to plan for a new tree in the middle of the yard so five years from now when there is nothing left of the lovely tree we have another in adolescent stage ready to go. Of course I do not think we will be here five years from now... This yard is too big for people in their dotage to handle.
    Otherwise it was a beautiful day to be outside...hope my back will not complain later on.
    Betty

271572efw6p0mm9j.jpg I love trees. We live in a neighborhood filled with 100+foot tall evergreen trees. Many have been cut down since we lived here and every time I am heartbroken even though I know that they have been cut down for reasons of safety. I share your sadness at the trees on your street being cut down :'(

<3 Barbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Pip - Great going! :o

Katla - As long as you are having fun, something is going in. Like horse riding, it's repetition, repetition, repetition! :laugh: I think with languages it's more like learning a physical skill, rather than a big, intellectual effort. I forget everything the minute I've learnt it, but if I just keep at it every day, eventually something sticks. :laugh:

Trail girl - Thank you for sharing. You are doing an excellent job and I have every confidence you will get there. :flowerforyou:

KJ - It's a saying we have, from an old poem, Burns or Shakespeare, or something..........."There's many a slip twixt (between) cup and lip." Meaning, you might have a full cup, but you've got to get it to your lips without spilling it. As we all know, house purchases are the very devil for that. The saying is so well known here that you only have to say "There's many a slip ......" and everyone knows what you mean.

We are off after exercise in the morning to visit DH's elder daughter. We haven't seen her house before and then we are going out for lunch in a pub. I'm not especially enthusiastic about the trip, but I'm sure it will be fine. She lives just under an hour and a half away.

Love from the fattig forfatter.
    Heather UK