Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Replies

• SHALLON1979
    SHALLON1979 Posts: 14 Member
    Did 5 workouts this week, 3 days of strength training and 2 days of zumba classes. Had a rest day yesterday and was gonna go to the gym today but my husband and I were at the car lot looking for a new car for me and that took forever. Who knew you could burn so many calories car shopping though? LOL, funny but true. No car today, but we did find one that we liked and are trying to decide if we want to pay it all now with cash, finance, or trade in our other vehicle. No concrete decision yet. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
  • SHALLON1979
    Random thought.... skinny jeans are an uncomfortable cruel invention, and personally I can't wait until they go out of style... I am longing for the days of wide legs and boot cuts. LOL ... Sorry for the interruption.
  • KristineArden
    KristineArden Posts: 33 Member
    Hi everyone - I'm a newbie jumping onboard your thread! I am 45, live in Northern California and I've been on my weight loss journey many years:) I started at 333, lost 100, gained 50 back, lost it again, gained back 30.. Now I'm back on the loosing side :) Nice to get a chance to 'meet' you!

Hi Courtney! I'm somewhat of a newbie (I started MyFitnessPal in October and haven't been consistent). I am 46 and live in a suburb of Chicago. I have been on my weight loss journey since 3rd grade (after a rude incident at school). I have been up and down--my highest being 300. I have steadily gained about 10 lbs or so a year since I was hit by a car in 1998 while out jogging in the morning (I weighed 140 then). I am working on taking care of myself.
  • KristineArden
    KristineArden Posts: 33 Member
    Random thought.... skinny jeans are an uncomfortable cruel invention, and personally I can't wait until they go out of style... I am longing for the days of wide legs and boot cuts. LOL ... Sorry for the interruption.

I totally agree! If you are thin, skinny jeans are fine--at my weight, they just emphasize my big butt....
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    @Kristinearden --I'm also from Chicago and now live in the northern suburbs. Welcome!

@SHALLON1979 --welcome! Great job with the workouts this week! Agree about skinny jeans. I don't think they even look good on "normal" thin people. It's like they only look good if a person has a stick-straight figure. That probably sounds funny coming from me, given my username. However, when I chose that name, I just meant I wanted to get back into the jeans that fit me when I was at my thinnest--my "skinny'me" jeans; I wasn't referring to the style. LOL

@laurie-- sounds like a great way to practice your skills. I wish I could still remember enough to practice with you when you visit, but it's been over 20 years since I worked with hearing impaired children.

@niki-- thanks so much for your condolences. I've had these losses lately that are really more impactful on others around me (friends of friends, friend's father, etc.) but this one is a direct hit to my heart. Alexa was a fellow English teacher, but also my co-advisor when I ran the HS yearbook. We spent many late nights working on the book, traveled together for yearbook/journalism conferences (with and without students), and were also good friends outside of work. My stock tip for today: buy whoever owns Kleenex.

@courtney-- welcome!!

@badnoodle --was that an Orwell reference?

@tammy-- great job getting in those steps on the ferry! I hope your daughter is okay.

@barb-- I've heard a lot of people warning against Windows 10, and I'm so afraid I will accidentally click to add it whenever that box pops up.

@robin-- congrats on the new ride! One of my friends has an Equinox and she loves it.

AFM-- Well it's been a rough week. I had 2 meetings and a hair appt, so I only managed to get some walks in with Gunner during the work week. Today, the weather was still nice, so I did a short run outside. I also got the bathroom cleaned and graded a few speeches this evening.

I've completely lost track of my nutrition goals, so I'm not even going to keep tracking then here. I will say I've had salad most days for the past 2 weeks, so that's something.

My friend's services are tomorrow and Monday--I'm not sure yet which day I will go. I'm waiting to hear back from some work friends so we can go together and hand each other tissues. Even before I got the news about Alexa, I had decided to take a personal day this week. I will be collecting research paper outlines from my juniors on Monday, so I decided to take Tuesday off so I can put a dent in all of this grading that's piling up. I need to hand back the outlines next Monday, and I'd like to get through the AP essays before I collect their Lit Theory essays this Friday. Spring Break is 2 weeks away and I don't want to be overloaded with grading b/c I have a bunch of planning to do that week, as well as my taxes.

Grading Goals:
    1. 4/20 Speeches
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 15/41 Wuthering Hts journals

Fitness Goals for the month of March:
    I will run 3x/week and at least 1 5k/week
    Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k
    I will run a 5k start to finish twice with no walking breaks: 1/2
    I will run an 8k three times: 1/3

Stretch legs after each run = 4/4

Nutrition Goal for February:
    Eat >100 g protein 4/31
    salad or veggies 4/31

You vs Year Challenge:
    103k done/ 897k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- meeting + walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- meeting + walk gunner DONE
    Thurs-- hair appt
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + run DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
  • SHALLON1979
    @skinnyjeanzbound - oh I understand, I too have a pair just sitting on the top shelf of my closet just waiting for me to squeeze by butt into them. LOL
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    @skinnyjeanzbound Yes it is an Orwell reference. I call it that because when I am doing something just for the exercise, I hate every second of it. It is only the pure power of loathing everything on the planet that gets me through an exercise session.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @badnoodle -- Haha! Love a good literature reference! I teach HS English Lit, and my AP students just finished 1984. I refer to everything they do wrong as "double-plus ungood." As in, "it's double-plus ungood when you guys forget to italicize the novel title." Sorry you are loathing the exercise, but I get what you mean. I absolutely prefer productive exercise like yard work, but I have learned to love running just for the sake of running.

@SHALLON1979 --I have faith that you will get into those jeans. If it helps, my original pair of skinny jeans are now my fat jeans. I gained 10 lbs this school year and they are the one pair of size 14 I kept. My size 12 jeans all fit, but the old skinny jeans fit most comfortably. When I am feeling bad about the gain, I remind myself that at least that's progress, right? LOL

AFM-- my friends and I ended up going to the family's house for shiva today. Her family is holding up really well, but it was still sad. Now I'm home and heading to starbucks to get some more speeches graded.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Hi-
    Just a quick update of goals:

Grading Goals:
    1. 12/20 Speeches
    2. x/41 AP essays
    3. 15/41 Wuthering Hts journals

Week 1 = 3/3 runs, 2/2 5k; Week 2 = 1/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 3 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k; Week 4 = x/3 runs, x/2 5k

You vs Year Challenge:
    103k done/ 897k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- meeting + walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- meeting + walk gunner DONE
    Thurs-- hair appt
    Fri-- walk gunner DONE
    Sat-- walk gunner DONE + run DONE
    Sun-- walk gunner NOT DONE (rainy, yucky weather)
    Mon-- walk gunner + gym
  • celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Definitely feels like a Monday. I'm tired, I hurt, it's rainy, there is a mountain of stuff on my desk, and I can't find a good place to start on any of it.

I got all kinds of cocky Saturday morning and decided to run/jog part of the 5k race. That quickly came back to bite me in the form of very painful, swollen, you aren't going to get any sleep tonight knees and hips. So, even though I finished in record time for me, it wasn't worth it and I'm still paying. I could barely sleep Saturday night trying to find a position that didn't hurt. Last night was a little better, but today is definitely running on caffeine only.

Yesterday was spent moving furniture from my in-law's house to ours. They are retiring and moving in a few weeks so yesterday was the day to get the items that are coming to live at our house - mainly an antique dining room suite that sort of fits in my dining room. The whole scheme has necessitated moving at least one large piece of furniture in almost every room in the house, and my china, silver, and crystal is scattered across every available flat surface. I need to get that put away tonight before one of us breaks something.

OK, time to quit wallowing and see if I can get something accomplished around here. Have a great week!
  • kcgosnell
    kcgosnell Posts: 1 Member
    I want to comment but not real sure what to say. Stepped on the scale at work yesterday and could not believe my eyes at the number. I feel lighter and feel like I've made progress but the scale says something different. Trying to get up to 20 minutes of walking at 1 time but its so hard especially on days like today when it's raining. My knees hurt after just a few minutes. Its easy to get frustrated and depressed on this journey and its not just as simple as eating right there are so many others things involved. I have to admit I do find myself no logging everything I eat because I don't want the app to yell at me..lol nor do I want to see what my projected weight will be in 5 weeks. I wish I could just be okay with the way I am but I know that's not possible with all the health issues I have and I long for the day when I can wear one of the 100's of cute outfits I've pinned on Pinterest. But I know something is going to click for me and start me on a better path and knowing that there are soo many others out there like me gives me some encouragement. Logged my breakfast in and did prepare lunch today so I'm feeling a bit okay about my day so far. We'll see how it ends. Have a great day everyone.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Monday Check-in ... everything went to pot from Thursday on with a final crushing cresendo on Sunday and now I am paying the price with big set-backs.

I did log everything, however, because I learned a long time ago that if I am going to track my intake that I am cheating myself by not being honest about it ... but I have to agree with @kcgosnell that it hurts to see the food slide bar go into the red because of overeating.

I'm not doing a detailed checkin this week as it takes more time to write up than I have available today.
    Niki
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Karen ~I’m am so very sorry to hear about the passing of Alexa, I know your heart is heavy. No matter how much you prepare yourself, it is still hard. I think taking a personal day sounds like a great idea.

@celtikgirl ~I can remember early on during this weight loss journey signing up for a 5k with a friend, thinking “3 miles is nothing I walk that every day.” My hips/IT bands hurt for 3 days! :astonished:

@kcgosnell ~The best advice I can offer is to log everything you eat, you do not need to save your diary though—the information will always be there, you just won’t see that message stating “if every day were like today you’d weigh x-amount less in 5 weeks.” Honestly, don’t zero in on something like that—no two days will ever be the same. Keeping a food log, helps you see your food habits though—it can be eye opening. Our bodies react differently each day. This weight loss journey (as I call it), is 80% diet and 20% exercise—if exercise is something you can’t do right now or is overwhelming don’t worry about it, it will come in time. If all you can manage is a 5-minute walk to the mailbox, do that. If you work and can manage 3, 5-minute walks throughout the day do that. Do what you can and no more until you feel ready. Taking on too much at once can be overwhelming so right now try changing one habit (i.e. keep a food log, drink more water, eat more protein, or cut back on sweets). Trust me, the scale will catch up and start to reflect your healthier choices—remember you didn’t gain weight overnight, so you won’t lose it overnight. Be patient.

AFM~First, DST and I do NOT get along. I purposely stayed up late on Saturday and got up early yesterday to make last night easier—didn’t work. :sleeping: Of course, the fact that it was 80 degrees upstairs didn’t help. So I tossed and turned all night, just hope the headache from sleep deprivation I have now doesn’t turn into a migraine later. :frowning: Speaking of a/c—having that looked at again this afternoon, having issues with one of the dampers and the guy that came last week (not my regular guy) told me I needed to put a bunch of money into a repair which I know for a fact was unnecessary, just needs a motor replacement. To verify my thoughts on the issue, I had my dad look at it yesterday and I was right. I just want to throttle that 20-something a/c repair guy—they better never send him to my house again. :rage:

March Challenge:
    PT: 4/10
    Bike: 2/10
    Veggies: 13/31

Exercise Goals:
    Monday~Bike Outside (depending on a/c repair time)
    Tuesday~PT
    Wednesday~Gym (supposed to rain)
    Thursday~PT
    Friday~Bike Outside

• celtikgirl
    celtikgirl Posts: 237 Member
    @kcgosnell I hear you loud and clear - been at this struggle for most of my life and it doesn't get any easier. Stick with it!
  • SHALLON1979
    With my Parkinson's, the weather can be brutal on my body. It's been rainy for the last two days and the stiffness is as killing me, causing actual pain. The pain makes me not want to move. I pushed through as best as I could burning 2800 cals yesterday and 3200 cals today. I didn't get in the kind of cardio that I wanted to, but, this is a new week and I am looking forward, not back. Tomorrow is my weigh in day, though I don't worry about the number on the scale the way I used to. Over the last two weeks I lost 5.2 lbs but lost 2 inches off my waist. I'm not complaining. We will all get there, hopefully in a such a way that is healthy and makes us feel good about what we have accomplished. Ok, my 5 year old finally knocked out, so it is momma's turn to do the same. Good night all.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Well, I know that today is Tuesday and we usually write about GOALS on this day, but I have an immediate NSV I want to share ... I wanted to order food today instead of cooking it myself ... something I have been working on NIT doing but fell off the wagon with after having lunch out with my sister-in-law on Friday. AND ... after fighting with myself all afternoon I finally closed my address book and went into the kitchen and cooked a very, very fast dinner ... but ... I COOKED instead of ordering out!
    Thank God for small victories.
  • badnoodle
    badnoodle Posts: 215 Member
    Well done, @Nikion901 for cooking! Was it as tasty as it was quick?
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    Made of goal of prayer in the morning and of stating what I am grateful for. I feel that helped me to feel very positive and calmer throughout the day.

I ate dinner right before 6pm and I think I will be able to go to sleep tonight without needing anything else to eat. :)
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Karen- I am sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I know it is very difficult right now. A personal day is a great idea. Spend some of it doing something other than grading. My Spring break starts on Friday when school lets out. I am very excited for it. The weekend after I head to Chicago so I am taking off the Friday and Monday.

Shallon- My trainer was telling me that bike riding is great for Parkinson, it helps to calm the tremors down and keeps your muscles moving. You should check out the research on the connection between parkinson and bike riding. It is great exercise as well.

Niki- Great job cooking.

Kelley- I hope you get the AC fixed soon. I can't sleep when it is hot either.

KC- The advice you have received is right on the mark. Start out slowly and take it one step at a time. It will work out and you will find your groove. The scale will go up and down daily with no rhyme or reason, just keep tracking your food and you will start to notice patterns. Your body will eventually let go of the weight.

The silent dinner was wonderful and I enjoyed meeting new people and seeing some familiar faces. This past weekend has been hard for me, since the emotions from my dad death are starting to surface. So Saturday and Sunday I was feeling really down and very sad of course the weather was not helping either (rainy and cloudy). A swim on Sunday followed by a milkshake, helped along with talking to a friend on Sunday night helped. I am starting to feel better now and getting back to being productive. I let many things slide especially with volunteer work but now I am starting to get back on track and caught up on stuff. I know the emotions will show up unannounced but hopefully, I can keep them at bay until I am alone. I know they will come out and they need to but I need to be in a place where I can deal with them.

Yes, Milkshakes are my go to when I get down. It was good but I have had better.

Saturday- I am running a 5K for practice since I am gearing up for Chicago. I just hope we don't have snow showers here. Yes, those pesky things are back in our long range forecast. Spring is just days away and snow is predicted. Karen I hope Chicago is getting some warmer weather. I am getting rainy weather at this point.

Goals- To run the entire 5K on Saturday at a 15 min mile pace.

Have a great night and a good rest of the week.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    @laurie-- I can't imagine the difficulty dealing with the loss of your dad. I see my friend here going through it as well, and all I can do is offer support. I'm glad you are surrounded by friends who do the same for you. Good luck on your 5k; I'm also running one on Saturday. It's a Shamrock beer run I'm doing with friends, so not sure if they will be up for running the entire race. Corymomma (heidi) who used to post on this thread years ago, is also running it. She's lives fairly close to me, but we've never gotten around to meeting up until now.

@niki-- great job cooking!

Hello to everyone else, and welcome to the newlings!

AFM-- well, I took my personal day yesterday, and it was very relaxing. I slept in, walked gunner, and then went to vote before the after-work rush. I did get some grading done, but not as much as I would've liked; it never is.

I also didn't get to the gym for my long run, and now it's too close to my 5k Saturday to do so.

Grading Goals:
    1. 18/20 Speeches
    2. 15/59 JRP outlines
    3. x/41 AP essays
    4. 15/41 Wuthering Hts journals

You vs Year Challenge:
    103k done/ 897k to go

Exercise Goals:
    Tues-- walk gunner DONE
    Wed-- rest day
    Thurs-- walk gunner
    Fri-- walk gunner
    Sat-- walk gunner+ run 5k
    Sun-- walk gunner