How and why carbs and a high carb intake will keep you fat!!

Options

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    i'd be VERY careful throwing around this study, it's a short term study (done over 2 weeks, with 1 week being a control) and using highly trained performance athletes, who will have significantly different metabolic effects than 99% of the general population.
    Of course there are study limitations, as all studies have limitations, but it's still relevant to our discussion and should be considered when looking at varying protein intakes.

I don't know about "significantly different metabolic effects," though. If anything their caloric output via TEA (thermic effect of activity) will be increased, but they aren't inherently calorie-burning machines. Actually this works the opposite way, though. The fact that they are already strength conditioned athletes would almost imply their trained bodies would hold onto muscle to a greater extent, yet in 2 weeks of adopting a higher protein diet, they held onto a statistically significant higher amount.

Yes there are limitations, though, you are correct. This is a relatively new concept in empirical observation, so we'll see much more in the next few years.
    I have 4 or 5 studies somewhere, i'll see if I can dig them up, that show pretty much the opposite results with obese and normal weight individuals, I.E. high protein intake didn't make any significant change in LBM while increasing urea output (I.E. increased kidney function and liver function which can be a bad thing, especially if the person has metabolic related disorders that can effect organs).
    Hey if you can dig them up, I'll be sure to give them a read. I'd love some new perspective.
    I'd say this, we're pretty sure that between .4g and .7g per pound body weight in protein will be relatively safe, and won't cause any serious long term health effects (another problem with these studies, no long term research means for people who need to do this for a year or more, we just don't know what it could do to them) in and of itself. Thus I'd always lean towards caution.
    That's fair. I would say .7 - .8g per pound LBM is a common suggestion for people who aren't physically active. I just feel like these boards are probably more heavily populated with people who do exercise, and thus higher protein is safer for muscle-sparing effects in terms of fat loss.
    Personally, my theory is that as body fat % goes down, the need for protein goes up with moderate to intense exercise, there is some correlation for this (again, I'll have to find the studies, I'm at work so I can't right now), but ultimately, caps out somewhere around .7 to .8 grams per lb of body weight (I.E. between 1 gram per Kilo and 1.5 grams per kilo body weight) with extreme athletes sometimes being able to utilize up to 2 grams per kilo (just shy of 1 gram per pound).
    That's a great theory. And I would bet a lot of money it's true. The less stored fat = the higher chance of stored amino acids undergoing gluconeogenesis for fuel. There's a reason why bodybuilders weighing 180 pounds at 6% body fat will eat a diet of 1,400 calories 2 weeks leading up to a show entirely composed of pure protein. Low body fat + low intake + physically active = catabolic, and significantly higher protein works to offset that (enough amino acids to nourish muscles + enough free amino acids for your body to use freely as fuel).
    I will say I think we're splitting hairs a bit here though, if you tell someone to eat around .6 grams per pound, I think they'd be fine in 95% of the cases.
    Fine? Undoubtedly. But based on the research I've read, I would still recommend a slightly higher intake ESPECIALLY when physically active for optimal results.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    The OP posted something that is his OPINION. Your posts are your OPINION and your interpretation of your studies, research, reading, whatever. You seem to think that if someone disagrees with you, then they must not have the level of intelligence necessary to read the research themselves.
    And his opinion is wrong. He clearly states that a "high carb intake will keep you fat!!" That is false. That is scientifically and 100% false.

Had he said, "why a high carb intake will keep SOME people fat" or "high carbs hinder fat loss for some people," then that would be a different thing. But he is talking in broad, universal terms. Which means he is telling EVERYONE that carbs will keep EVERYONE fat.

False.
    It's not that the OP is wrong and you are right, or vice versa. They are OPINIONs, Just because someone disagrees with your opinion does mean that they have an IQ of 4.
    And an opinion can be wrong. If it's my opinion that pigs can fly, guess what? I'm probably wrong.

His opinion is not something subjective like the best color or best album by Bob Dylan; his opinion is rooted in something OBJECTIVE and empirical. As such it is able to be scrutinized and judged in terms of its validity.

Unfortunately for the OP, his opinion on this objective subject matter is wrong.
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Is butter a carb?
    \
    NO
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    The body likes to go to carbs for energy. The body uses proteins to build muscles and repair, but it can catabolize them for energy if it needs to. However, it cannot use carbs to do what protein does, help you build muscle and repair. Knowing that lean muscle mass helps your metabolism, that alone, should probably make more people err on the side of protein, if there is protein in disagreement.

Form and function. If you're going to burn all of the carbs you take in, then eat them. I need them. If I don't get enough, as a marathon runner, I will start to use protein for energy and it's just not quite as efficient. I went over this process in bio.

A runner can still be skinny fat on lots of cardio though. Not enough protein, no muscle and all fat(even if they're still thin). Or taking in more carbs than they need.

Complex carbs are probably a better choice just due to their chemical bonding. It takes a lot of energy to break down polymers rather than just handing it simple monomers(often simple sugars).

This is my understanding.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Great read while I sit at Panara Bread...hmmm...what should I order?
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    [i'd be VERY careful throwing around this study, it's a short term study (done over 2 weeks, with 1 week being a control) and using highly trained performance athletes, who will have significantly different metabolic effects than 99% of the general population.

I have 4 or 5 studies somewhere, i'll see if I can dig them up, that show pretty much the opposite results with obese and normal weight individuals, I.E. high protein intake didn't make any significant change in LBM while increasing urea output (I.E. increased kidney function and liver function which can be a bad thing, especially if the person has metabolic related disorders that can effect organs).

I'd say this, we're pretty sure that between .4g and .7g per pound body weight in protein will be relatively safe, and won't cause any serious long term health effects (another problem with these studies, no long term research means for people who need to do this for a year or more, we just don't know what it could do to them) in and of itself. Thus I'd always lean towards caution.

Personally, my theory is that as body fat % goes down, the need for protein goes up with moderate to intense exercise, there is some correlation for this (again, I'll have to find the studies, I'm at work so I can't right now), but ultimately, caps out somewhere around .7 to .8 grams per lb of body weight (I.E. between 1 gram per Kilo and 1.5 grams per kilo body weight) with extreme athletes sometimes being able to utilize up to 2 grams per kilo (just shy of 1 gram per pound).

I will say I think we're splitting hairs a bit here though, if you tell someone to eat around .6 grams per pound, I think they'd be fine in 95% of the cases.

Just trying to make the point that consuming protein in excess of 30-35% or roughly 1g/lb of lean body mass isn't exactly 'bro-science'. There is nothing inherently wrong with consuming more than the aforementioned levels of protein, because as I stated before, the optimal level of protein is context dependent and not some hard and fast figure that one shouldn't exceed. Someone on Lyle McDonald's PSMF would benefit highly from consuming 1.0-1.5 grams of protein per lbs of bodyweight and have been doing it for a long time.

On a related note, when consuming alot of protein or even moderate protein, it's always good to accompany that with a lot of cruciferous veggies.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    And further, on the glucose is glucose thing, yes it is. But it takes breaking those chemical bonds, depending on its source, which takes energy to do so, before it becomes an individual glucose monomer that your body would use to create ATP.

Edit: It finally comes back to me! LOL!
  • kingkong123
    kingkong123 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tanyaelise
    tanyaelise Posts: 28
    Options
    SOOO, if you consume all your calories (but don't go over) and 80% of them are carbs...there's nothing wrong with that???? Say goodbye to a normal blood sugar level.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options
    And further, on the glucose is glucose thing, yes it is. But it takes breaking those chemical bonds, depending on its source, which takes energy to do so, before it becomes an individual glucose monomer that your body would use to create ATP.

I believe mynameisuntz has mentioned the TEF on a few occasions! lol
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

A loaf of buttery bread :-P just kidding
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

I believe mynameisuntz has mentioned the TEF on a few occasions! lol
    I think she sees it now :D
    SOOO, if you consume all your calories (but don't go over) and 80% of them are carbs...there's nothing wrong with that???? Say goodbye to a normal blood sugar level.
    Tell that to the Okinawans. Dietary staples: white rice and starchy vegetables. Their carb intake, depending on time period and season, has been estimated to fluctuate between 60 - 90% of their calories.

Guess what? They are the longest-living people on earth with the lowest rates of disability in old age.

And here we are in America talking about how high carbs are bad. The Okinawans are laughing as they are still active at 90 years of age.

The Tarahumara might be another interesting population to study, as they are a long-distance running population in Mexico with a carb-heavy diet. Or the Sardinians in Italy with a carb-based diet, also one of the longest-living populations on earth with the lowest rates of disability.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    Options

Do they still offer the bread mobile??

bread-f1-car-large_03.jpg
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

bread-f1-car-large_03.jpg

Now that is some awesome stuff lol
  • mynameisuntz
    Options

bread-f1-car-large_03.jpg[img][/img]
    [/quote]
    Let's take bets on how many children in Africa that would feed...!

I don't know whether to laugh or cry :P slash :[
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    I wasn't arguing with ya, mynameisuntz... :)
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
    Unfortunately for the OP, his opinion on this objective subject matter is wrong.

Ah, Untz, actually, you are incorrect. According to the definition below, it's really not possible for an opinion to be wrong.

–noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
    3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second Medical opinion.

#1 - I have no idea what the OP believes for sure, or whether he intended to say "carbs will keep people fat" or "carbs will keep SOME people fat." I would guess that he MEANT the latter. And the fact, UNTZ, that you would agree with him if he had added one little word tells a tale. As for "grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty." You can quote all the studies in the world, honestly - what I am going to believe is what I can see, hear, touch, and experience myself. If I develop an opinion contrary to what you believe, but based on my own experiences, it is "right" to me and "right" to anyone who has the same belief.
    #2 - That's his personal view, maybe based on his own experience, maybe based on his own studies - you can't say he's wrong because you have no idea WHY he has made the appraisal he has made because you haven't walked in his shoes.
    #3 - Does not apply.

I believe some of what you believe - that carbs can and will keep SOME people fat, not all. I just feel compelled to point out that just because you can cite a million articles and have an extensive vocabulary, that does not make you an expert on this subject...........on any subject, really.
  • bunchesonothing
    Options
    Also, I had no idea what TEF meant. I was just calling off of what I learned in bio.
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    You don't need that much protein. 1to 2 grams/kg of body weight is sufficient for 99% of the population, or better yet 15-30% of total calories depending on their caloric intake..

Er, 2g/kg body weight is more than 1g/pound lean body mass.

Math is fun!