Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• essexgal71
    essexgal71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i though there was quite a lot of sugar in milk, i found cutting it out made me lose weight. I eat other dairy in moderation . I think its what works for you. i do worry about the lack of calcium but do know other alternative ways to increase calcium. I do eat cheese and yoghurt .
  • lalabrucey
    lalabrucey Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I like milk but did recently cut it out of coffee because it tastes bad out of plastic containers and I have never seen any cafe here use cardboard containers.

So few of my friends buy cardboard containers so was just easier to just get rid of milk in coffee, but as far as drinking in a milkshake or a glass of cold milk - still love it, it is good nutritionally - you just need to work the calories in if trying to lose weight.

I think there are so many 'diet' plans out there that exclude the 'evil' foods, or people just have to choose what calories they value over others, but personally I just balance a bit of everything and stick to basic energy in vs energy out

• Tofuli
    Tofuli Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am not a baby cow!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I am not a baby tree! But I like nuts. The whole not drinking milk because it's only meant for baby cows is ridiculous. Milk is good. I like a big glass with spaghetti or warm chocolate cake.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Tofuli wrote: »
    I am not a baby cow!

This seems such an odd argument to me, it's an ingredient, like any other. The purpose of an egg is to become a chick, it's still a good thing to eat. What about seeds? Or anything.
  • m27un
    m27un Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

Weight lifters don't drink milk bro!! Way to much added sugar and calories. Almond and coconut milk for the win !! :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    some people are intolerant to dairy....
    Milk is good though, I don't drink glasses of it but I do enjoy it in cereals and in coffee/tea :smile:
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Fay84Vegan wrote: »
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I don't know why more people don't know about this...!?

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

I probably consume more dairy than most people and have not had any related health issues. In fact, my bone density is in the upper 5% percentile for women (higher than most women). A lot of it is genetic, of course, but I really don't understand the health claims - save for legitimate claims like lactose intolerance. If you avoid dairy for moral and personal reasons, that's great. If you have issues with dairy farm practices, that's also great. No one is going to take away your personal choice and moral compass. But this act of cherry picking whatever research supports an agenda is a bit annoying, because you can cherry pick in favor of any cause. Many cultures known for being long-lived consume dairy. This does not mean dairy will give you longevity, but it just puts the blatant statement that you only care for your family's health if you don't consume dairy into perspective.

I totally agree....I have always wondered why people totally eliminate milk, it is a great and easy way to get protein which is lacking in so many people's diets. You can certainly find studies to support almost any outcome you want. Up to the individual if you want to eliminate dairy of course, but stop putting it down. I can't imagine why anyone wants soy products with all the studies I have read about that. I am in Canada so I know our milk supply is also much safer than in the US.

As far as non-dairy cheese, yogurt and ice cream....have fun with your modified ingredients as those products were made to be dairy products.

Bottom line, I don't see the need to eliminate anything completely from what we eat except in certain health conditions...lactose intolerant, celiac etc
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Aside from eliminating milk due to a diet, calories, sugar, etc. The very first thing I would ask is why are so many people intolerant to dairy products? That has to say something about the types of products people are consuming.

For me, if a product is making so many people sick, I sure don't want to include it in my nutrition plan. Here is some interesting information, from a vegan perspective on dairy products in general:

Note: This is in no way intended to push any agenda or make it seem like one plan is better/worse than another. It's just some interesting information.

There is a common misperception that the only way to get adequate calcium in your diet is to drink milk and eat dairy products. This may be what the dairy industry wants us to believe, but it is well established that plant-based foods are not only adequate sources of dietary calcium but are superior sources compared to animal sources, specifically dairy. The regular consumption of dairy and meat products together results in urinary losses of calcium, as calcium is released from the bones to neutralize the acid load in the bloodstream caused by eating animal protein. This likely creates a negative balance of calcium intake and loss. As we know, prolonged negative calcium balances could result in the development of osteoporosis for which a person would be given meds and probably told to consume more dairy which would perpetuate the problem and so on and so forth. Congress, pharmaceuticals and lobbyists at their finest. But meanwhile, if meats, dairy and fish are eliminated from the diet in place of plant-based foods, the body's need to neutralize acid in the blood stream disappears hence the body's need for overall calcium intake could be reduced.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Milk is gross. I did not grow up with it. Later, I found out that I am lactose intolerant anyway.
    I am o.k. with yogurt but not in love with it. I like cheese :) and eat it most days.
  • ShrinkingScientist
    ShrinkingScientist Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant. My stomach does okay with some cheese or some yogurt, but milk and ice cream do me in, which then led me to not liking the taste. Every once in a great while I'll have the tiny bottle of FairLife chocolate milk.
  • skbrodie
    skbrodie Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    rsenor wrote: »
    I don't do milk because I'm lactose intolerant, but honestly also because I have just begun to find that drinking another species breast milk is rather gross. Something hit me at one point...would I drink human breast milk or eat human-breast milk made cheese? No...

I should clarify I am not vegan - I still eat meat- but milk just icks me out. It potentially has pus. Eeew.

It doesn't have pus! Also, given the chance other species (your cat or dog) will also drink cow's milk. I personally only like milk on occasion, but milk doesn't have pus or hurt the cow or make you drink harmful hormones like a lot of people think
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    krisonkor wrote: »
    Love milk but my husband only drinks whole milk. Too many calories for me so I use unsweetened coconut milk in my smoothies.

What is stopping you from drinking skim, 1% or 2% just because your husband drinks whole?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I love milk but it is too high calorie for me. More than 150cals per 250ml while Almond milk is just 30cal for the same amount. And almond milk is very healthy too. Proteins. Vitamins enriched.
  • instantmartian
    instantmartian Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I love dairy - ice cream and (good) cheese are two things I cannot live without. However, I have never liked milk. My parents had to trick me into drinking it as a kid. I liked bunnies. I had a bunny. The can of Nestle strawberry powder had a rabbit on it. My parents called it "strawberry milk," I wouldn't drink it. They called it "bunny milk," I would willingly drink it. Eventually, I just stopped drinking that as I got older. I never liked chocolate milk, either. When I ate cereal, I would add just enough milk to wet my cereal. I would only have about a teaspoon left when I was finished, and that would often be discarded. I don't even really buy cereal, anymore; it doesn't fill me up, and I usually only eat one or two servings before the box goes stale, and I have to throw it away. I do cook and bake with milk, but I usually never finish a quart before I have to dump some of it. If I have it, and I think of it, I use milk in a protein shake, but I prefer almond or coconut milk for that purpose.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Milk is awesome, but too much sugar and not enough protein bang for the calorie buck for me. Good ice cream, though? I'll make room for that.
  • Packerjohn
    edited March 2016
    Options
    m27un wrote: »
    rca27801 wrote: »
    I don't get it. I can understand not liking milk, but to exclude it solely because of dieting purposes? Am I missing something.

Milk is such an easy way to get in your protein. Fairlife milk provides me with 13 grams of protein per cup. If you love milk, I don't see any reason to stop drinking it.

Weight lifters don't drink milk bro!! Way to much added sugar and calories. Almond and coconut milk for the win !! :)

Actually squats and milk was the prime mass builder of bodybuilders in the golden age of bodybuilding in the 1960s and 1970s when Arnold, Dave Draper, Reg Park, Frank Zane, etc were coming up. Of course Chad working his 10th set over on the seated bicep curl machine knows so much more about lifting and is getting such better results than those guys.

http://oldschooltrainer.com/super-squats-how-to-gain-30-pounds-of-muscle-in-6-weeks-reloaded/
    http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squats-gallon-gain-weight/
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Pus very much is a part of All Dairy ...."Up to 400,000 million somatic (pus) cells are legally allowed in each litre of milk sold in the UK." (Other places may vary but removing all pus from Dairy Products is impossible! It's part of Cows Milk ...Breast Milk)

Dr T Colin Capbell spent 25 years researching Animal Protein & it's effects on the human body in the largest human study ever done 'The China Study'. He himself grew up on a Dairy Farm drinking Milk everyday! Since his findings that "Casesin (The Protein found in Milk) is a Carcinogen (Cancer Promoting).. Him & his Family have changed to follow a strict Plantbased Diet.

During the Research they could literally Start & Stop Cancer Growth by adding or taking away Animal Protein partically 'Casesin Protein' Cows Milk. (Plant proteins had no effect on Cancer Cell Growth)

Dairy is also more likely to cause Osteoporosis rather than prevent it (The opposite of how it is Advertised!)

I spent 25 years eating Dairy everyday... I haven't eaten any for nearly 6 years & I feel great for it!

If you care about Your Health & the Health of the ones you Love, I'd highly encourage everyone to remove Animal Protein from their Diets... Particularly Dairy Products!

Because it's BS?
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I have one here and there, but I'd rather eat my calories than drink them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

I probably consume more dairy than most people and have not had any related health issues. In fact, my bone density is in the upper 5% percentile for women (higher than most women). A lot of it is genetic, of course, but I really don't understand the health claims - save for legitimate claims like lactose intolerance.

I actually think one reason for the passion on this is that a lot of people are lactose intolerant and feel tons better when they give up milk and for some reason in nutrition and diet it's common for people to feel compelled to generalize and claim everyone would feel better if they gave up lactose (or did whatever else worked for or helped that person).

I agree it's annoying -- I also respond perfectly well to lactose.

I don't drink milk, however. Mostly because I never really did for years before deciding to lose weight (other than a period of time in my early 30s when I tried drinking milk with breakfast because, ironically, it was suppose to help with satiety and weight loss, I just never have as an adult, and I don't like cold cereal and wouldn't use enough in oatmeal to use it up in time). Now, I find that I do best just not drinking calories at all, so am unlikely to start drinking milk. I do enjoy cottage cheese and yogurt (and ice cream and cheese).