Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

butter vs margarine

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation

No chemicals in butter? Are you sure about that?

Do you see any chemicals in either of these?

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

Yes. Well, I don't actually see anything but a picture, but yes, there are chemicals in there.

OMG... If there were chemicals, it would be listed in the ingredients! Like this picture...

Is it a trick question? Are you serious???

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

You might want to pause and look up the definition of "chemical" before continuing down this road.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Rocknut53 wrote: »
    margarine is a chemical sh*tstorm... just sayin. Butter is natural and better for you in moderation

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.

If cream is not comprised of chemicals, what then?

Where are you trying to go with this?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

The butter from my local dairy has cream and salt which I guess is technically a chemical, NaCl. Butter for me any day, but I use so little any more.

Round and round.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

Yes. Well, I don't actually see anything but a picture, but yes, there are chemicals in there.

OMG... If there were chemicals, it would be listed in the ingredients! Like this picture...

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

You might want to pause and look up the definition of "chemical" before continuing down this road.

You might want to learn how to take things in context. Also, think about why you want to spend your time arguing in a weight loss forum. You are another one on here looking to argue. I'm not. All set. I have better things to do with my time.

I gave the OP some valuable information. You do what you want. Good luck in your journey. Have a nice day.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    I like butter for baking! On toast or a grilled cheese. I use brummel and brown yogurt butter. It's still margarine, but doesn't have as much as an aftertaste IMHO.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    chemicals
    blueberrieswildfoodism.jpg
  • janejellyroll
    edited March 2016

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

You might want to learn how to take things in context. Also, think about why you want to spend your time arguing in a weight loss forum. You are another one on here looking to argue. I'm not. All set. I have better things to do with my time.

I gave the OP some valuable information. You do what you want. Good luck in your journey. Have a nice day.

If "in context" you mean you're using an alternate definition of the word, it might be helpful if you shared the definition you're using. It can only cause confusion when people are using a word differently than everyone else in a conversation.

I'm not looking to argue with you -- I just value accurate information. If you don't wish to discuss the substance of your claims about "efficiency" and "chemicials" (whatever you mean by those words), that's fine. It's your choice. You might want to think about why you would want to make claims online that are difficult to support. I find it interesting that you had time for this conversation when you thought your claims wouldn't be challenged, but when people asked a few questions, you suddenly have better things to do than discuss them.

I hope you have a nice day as well.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016
    Alluminati wrote: »
    chemicals

more chemicals:

skwq68dp2pf5.jpeg
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    You guys are really nitpicking here. What I think @melissa6771 is trying to get at is that butter is all natural; it's made from milk and sometimes salt. Whereas margarine was originally made in a lab and has lots of added ingredients, a lot of which some people prefer not to include in their diets, myself included.

Which margarine are you talking about?
  • missyfitz1
    missyfitz1 Posts: 93 Member

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

I think what gets missed in these discussions is the danger of saying things without thinking of the implications of blindly accepting things that you've read before, or things that seem to make sense but haven't been critically evaluated. When someone says that everything is composed of chemicals, it's not to be difficult or catch you in a battle of wordplay. But there is so much fearmongering around the "dangers" of chemicals, and things that we can't pronounce, etc. When someone points out the absurdity of this, it's not to be difficult or argumentative. It's to shed light on the fact that no - chemicals are not prima facie bad. If you're going to say that a particular chemical is bad, your reason can't be that it's hard to pronounce if you want to be taken seriously. It has to be based on solid evidence or there's no reason you should expect others to accept it.

I think these kinds of objections are great for critical thinking skills. It doesn't mean the objector is necessarily right and you are wrong, but it could help you to see that maybe you are accepting principles without giving them the appropriate evaluation.
  • Alluminati
    edited March 2016

People are nitpicking because of the original op
    one235 wrote: »
    I have read so much about these two things and I still don't know which is better to eat.

Melissa is implying that butter is better than margarine, so people are asking her why.
  • janejellyroll

A preference is fine. I also prefer certain foods to others and there are things I prefer not to eat at all.

But when someone is answering someone who is asking "which is better to eat?" and your answer is grounded in a personal preference, don't try to make it sound like more with scare-mongering about "chemicals."
  • Alluminati
    edited March 2016
    To answer the OP, the "better" one is one that you like the taste of and the one that fits your overall calorie goals.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    missyfitz1 wrote: »

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

I think what gets missed in these discussions is the danger of saying things without thinking of the implications of blindly accepting things that you've read before, or things that seem to make sense but haven't been critically evaluated. When someone says that everything is composed of chemicals, it's not to be difficult or catch you in a battle of wordplay. But there is so much fearmongering around the "dangers" of chemicals, and things that we can't pronounce, etc. When someone points out the absurdity of this, it's not to be difficult or argumentative. It's to shed light on the fact that no - chemicals are not prima facie bad. If you're going to say that a particular chemical is bad, your reason can't be that it's hard to pronounce if you want to be taken seriously. It has to be based on solid evidence or there's no reason you should expect others to accept it.

I think these kinds of objections are great for critical thinking skills. It doesn't mean the objector is necessarily right and you are wrong, but it could help you to see that maybe you are accepting principles without giving them the appropriate evaluation.

Well, in the case of margarine, a lot are made with Canola Oil which is a GMO vegetable oil that is partially hydrogenated, something I personally prefer to avoid.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member

Round and round.

You're making me dizzy, so quit! ;)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2016

A preference is fine. I also prefer certain foods to others and there are things I prefer not to eat at all.

But when someone is answering someone who is asking "which is better to eat?" and your answer is grounded in a personal preference, don't try to make it sound like more with scare-mongering about "chemicals."

Not to mention woo about your body "not knowing how to process chemicals", etc. That's the same ridiculous line of argument people make about aspartame, apparently being ignorant of the fact that aspartame is composed of two amino acids commonly found in many other foods.
  • janejellyroll
    missyfitz1 wrote: »

2a0rbgf71doc.jpg
    n93kqjnmhe5g.jpg

pt712pmc5pjl.jpg

Well, in the case of margarine, a lot are made with Canola Oil which is a GMO vegetable oil that is partially hydrogenated, something I personally prefer to avoid.

The margarine I eat is GMO-free (not that it matters to me, it just happens to be).
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Alluminati wrote: »
    chemicals

more chemicals:

skwq68dp2pf5.jpeg

That banana was clearly made in a lab in a chemical vat. *shudder*
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe

Which margarine are you talking about?

All of them when compared to the ingredients of butter. My preference is to eat foods as close to the natural source as possible. Not to say that I always do, but at least 80% of the time I'm able to successfully make that choice. In this case, I prefer the food with two natural ingredients that I can pronounce and describe without looking them up in the dictionary.