Why are so many excluding milk from their diet?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jabjbab wrote: »
    The attitude towards those that don't eat dairy in this thread is similar to the "woo-thinkers" they are hating on. Superior and smug. Some people just can't eat it and it has nothing to do with current trends in pop culture.

I didn't see this at all. Lots of people can't eat dairy or have ethical objections. The only issue I've seen is with those claiming it's bad for everyone because some are lactose intolerant, etc. (or that it's "unnatural" in a way that other human food is not).
  • lorrisolomon
    lorrisolomon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I drink whole unpasteurized milk and follow the food guide regarding portions. I have Crohn's disease, and the last weight loss I experienced initially was because of that. Since spending 3 weeks in hospital and a loss of almost 50 pounds in the past year, nutritionally feeding has become a priority. I like whole unpasteurized milk, and take 300 calories a day on a 1200-1800 a day calorie load.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I just don't like it. I eat cheese and yogurt though.
  • wykkedtruth
    wykkedtruth Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    You don't want to be anywhere near me, or between me and a toilet, if I've had whatever my body deems "too much" milk to drink. What that amount is varies, but it certainly isn't much.

Almond milk appears to be much less unsettling. And lower in calories. :)

This right here. I avoided milk for so long that my body has become intolerant at my age. Small bits of milk are OK but ice cream sends my digestive track through the ringer. I use almond milk in my smoothies. Plus I seem the protein I get from one cup to be too little to actually benefit me lol. I can have protein and water for triple tge amount.
  • ladyv_39
    ladyv_39 Posts: 13 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant. And I don't like soy or almond milk. Whole milk is also too calorie dense for my diet, so when I do drink milk, I get the 1% or 2% Lactaid brand, which is expensive. Target has a lactose free variety that is cheaper but I don't get to go there that often.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I will agree with drinking rhe the milk with my high calorie snacks at night...I do not drink the milk now. Also. I would rather have a cottage cheese as my milk source for breakfast to fill me up.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sorry to interject in the vegan oneupmanship.

The sugar thing perplexes me no end. It has never crossed my mind to think about the sugar content of plain old milk.

@VintageFeline, if you aren't restricting your carbs, it probably doesn't matter. I'm counting carbs, and would rather eat more vegetables than drink milk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    n1cholee93 wrote: »
    I guess i'm one of the weird ones and drink WHOLE milk? I think so many people get scared because of the calories, but there are a lot of things people can benefit from that are higher in calories, then say, the fat-free counterparts.

Personally i like drinking chocolate milk. I wasn't going to live without it forever so i didn't take it out of my diet. I like to occasionally have cereal, so once again, i didn't take it out.

When I drink milk, I drink whole because I like the ratios better. But the only time I drink it is in a protein shake as I generally dislike the taste (unless it's chocolate. I can crush a half gallon at a time of chocolate milk).

And I went without dairy for a year during the Great Year of Paleo (2012) and temporarily made myself lactose intolerant. Took about a year to work back to where I was making the enzyme again.

And just so there's no misunderstanding, I believe as a result that I'm now clearly better than everyone else.
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm usually not a milk person, unless I have to add some to a dish I'm making. I usually get my protein from just making a cup of eggwhites. There goes my daily protein intake fulfilled right there. The only trouble from that is tons of sodium.
  • CourtLHM
    CourtLHM Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a touchy subject for people. Look what you started OP!! Haha! All I know is I drank an obscene amount of 2% milk growing up and have never had a cavity. And skim is my favorite now but I don't drink milk really anymore. Ironically someone earlier posted their migraines are gone......so are mine!!!! I only use milk in my protein shakes.
  • rippedhippie
    rippedhippie Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Humans the only adult animal on the planet that drinks milk...that should tell you something...

My cats and dog are adult animals and they try to sneak drinks of milk all the time. I can't leave the milk out on the counter to even turn around and grab the cereal outof the pantry because one of my cats will jump up and start licking the lid/rim of the jug.

Pretty sure if animals had the means, they'd be just fine with drinking milk.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options

If they mine had thumbs, they'd probably play all my vidya games too, the rascals!

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

My cats and dog are adult animals and they try to sneak drinks of milk all the time. I can't leave the milk out on the counter to even turn around and grab the cereal outof the pantry because one of my cats will jump up and start licking the lid/rim of the jug.

Yep, same here.

Humans have just developed the means.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

also the only species on the planet that heats it's food before eating it. enjoy your cold, raw food filled soup.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I read a study a while back stating that chimps would also cook their food given the means, and we more than willing to wait for it to be cooked.

Not sure where to find it now, though.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

also the only species on the planet that heats it's food before eating it. enjoy your cold, raw food filled soup.

This makes me thing of the "soup" my kids like to make outside with old rainwater, dead leaves and mud.

DELICIOUS.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

That we are awesome sexy beasts with opposable thumbs and the ability to farm dairy products.

I am sure if other animals could farm cows for milk they would.
    :D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

We're also the only adult animal on the planet making irrelevant forum comments.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Good point!