What No One Tells You About Going Paleo (Hint: It's Sad)

Options

Replies

• Wickedfaery73
    Wickedfaery73 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    :D
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Great story! I love your humor. You should write short stories..
  • GrooveMerchant
    GrooveMerchant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Best post on MFP I've read yet.
  • mpat81
    mpat81 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Haha, never tried any type of diet other than portion control. So glad to have been spared the discomfort of becoming a "human play-doh press" or choking on a carrot "puck"
  • catt952
    catt952 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    this is amazing
  • beanielovesricky
    beanielovesricky Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    great post. But I disagree the fit guy would be Christian Bale not Jeff I'm afraid
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thank you I laughed until I cried. My son is Paleo he seems angry most of the time now I understand!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    hahahahahaha

except for the Jeff Goldblum part - he should have died in Jurassic Park and he should have died in Independence Day, etc., etc.

• Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Jame Fell wrote this....a couple chuckles in it

Paleo is the Scientology of Diets
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/paleo-is-the-scientology-of-diets/

A small excerpt

The Disney Diet
    Everyone loves Disney movies. Just like the Paleolithic era, men were the heroes and women were the damsels in distress, although Disney damsels had way less body hair and much better teeth.

So, based on what I’ve learned from watching Disney films, here are the rules of the Disney Diet:

Never eat anything given to you by an old woman, because it’s poison – Snow White

Eat only fresh kills, but only the females are allowed to do the hunting – Lion King

Unless you think you killed your father and ran away from home, in which case you can eat lots of bugs – Lion King

Sugar can only be consumed while taking medicine – Mary Poppins

Don’t eat turkey, popcorn or sweet potato pie. And definitely not pancakes piled up until they reach the sky, because if you do, it will cause mental deficiencies of Goofy proportions, not to mention the fact that you will eat and eat and eat and eat and eat until you die – Jack and the Beanstalk

Chicken is okay, but not duck, because I love Donald

Spaghetti can only be eaten as a couple, and must lead to a kiss, followed by the male chivalrously passing the last meatball to the female using only his nose. Any fornication that results from this romantic gesture must be done doggie style – Lady and the Tramp

See how silly a diet can become when you start adopting arbitrary rules based on mythical thinking?

Our Paleolithic ancestors were far more likely to get protein from bugs. So instead of paying double for your antibiotic free, grass-fed methane dispenser meat, you should just head to your nearest field and commence chopping down crickets.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    Jame Fell wrote this....a couple chuckles in it

Paleo is the Scientology of Diets
    http://www.bodyforwife.com/paleo-is-the-scientology-of-diets/

A small excerpt

The Disney Diet
    Everyone loves Disney movies. Just like the Paleolithic era, men were the heroes and women were the damsels in distress, although Disney damsels had way less body hair and much better teeth.

So, based on what I’ve learned from watching Disney films, here are the rules of the Disney Diet:

Never eat anything given to you by an old woman, because it’s poison – Snow White

Eat only fresh kills, but only the females are allowed to do the hunting – Lion King

Unless you think you killed your father and ran away from home, in which case you can eat lots of bugs – Lion King

Sugar can only be consumed while taking medicine – Mary Poppins

Don’t eat turkey, popcorn or sweet potato pie. And definitely not pancakes piled up until they reach the sky, because if you do, it will cause mental deficiencies of Goofy proportions, not to mention the fact that you will eat and eat and eat and eat and eat until you die – Jack and the Beanstalk

Chicken is okay, but not duck, because I love Donald

Spaghetti can only be eaten as a couple, and must lead to a kiss, followed by the male chivalrously passing the last meatball to the female using only his nose. Any fornication that results from this romantic gesture must be done doggie style – Lady and the Tramp

See how silly a diet can become when you start adopting arbitrary rules based on mythical thinking?

Our Paleolithic ancestors were far more likely to get protein from bugs. So instead of paying double for your antibiotic free, grass-fed methane dispenser meat, you should just head to your nearest field and commence chopping down crickets.

I love this!
  • Goul22
    Goul22 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Beautifully written, full of humour... And quite accurate and true. Thank you! I needed a laugh.
  • mmmpork
    mmmpork Posts: 133 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Nooo you can't eat crickets, what about Jiminy Cricket!!!!
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »

hahaha - this thread is awesome - two big laughs

Continuing along the Disney diet...
    Shrek loves onions, spider webs, rats, and toads...
    ^^^this^^^ diet would make me lose weight.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    mmmpork wrote: »

Why? Nothing in my conscience went spoke against eating him.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I know the weight loss was the biggest contributor to my health gains but one thing I learned researching my diabetes & arthritis is that refined carbs like breads & cereals are quickly converted to glucose in the body so they spike my blood sugar then my sugar crashes lower than before so the body pumps out more sugar & triggers cravings for carbs. Eating Paleo removes the glucose roller coaster by eliminating the refined carbs & grains. It also helped with the weight loss but I noticed an improvement in my blood sugar in only a couple weeks. The doctor started reducing my meds in July after only 8 weeks on Paleo. Grains also contribute to inflammatory response so it eases my arthritis a little too. As for the Greek yogurt/ dairy, giving it it up made me realize I'm lactose intolerant (all my digestive trouble came back once I added it back in so it's gone for good). As for "eating healthy without following a plan," Paleo isn't a diet as much as it is a lifestyle. It's pretty simple: I eat food I like that's good for me. Yeah, a bagel tastes good but there's not a lot of nutrition for the calories. I'd rather have broccoli or cabbage- something more nutrient dense!, but yeah, if I want a bagel, I have one, although frankly, they just don't taste good anymore. Keep knocking it all you want- I know what works for me & I'm not missing what I gave up. Hope you guys find what works for you.

That's awesome! I love hearing success stories, especially where health is concerned. I don't have any serious problems, but I feel better within just a few days of cutting out processed carbs, and my blood pressure goes down. But I agree, different things work for different people. And I literally mean that, because we're all physically different and have different tastes.
  • timmy9613
    timmy9613 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    your hilarious
    Wetcoaster wrote: »
    http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Paleo-Diet-Experience-37631676

Recently, I went pseudo Paleo.

I say pseudo, because, like most things in my life, I've jumped in headfirst without putting any thought or research into it (this is also how I ended up taking a workout class called "Insanity." Afterward, I was drooling and delirious. So I guess it delivered).

So, despite being totally unclear on what Paleo entailed, I figured I would try it because the hot guy from the gym told me I ate too many carbs.

Parenthetically, I really should stop listening to people just because they're attractive. If Jeff Goldblum told me to get a bowl haircut and rob a bank, I totally would.

As far as I can tell, Paleo is based off of the premise that humanoids were never sexier or healthier than when they were cavemen. Even though they had no birth control or penicillin or dental floss, and everyone was probably covered in lice, they were supercut and sexy, and that's a lifestyle to which we should aspire.

The Paleo diet demands that you only eat what cavemen did, which means that you need to chew raw woolly-mammoth meat for hours with a mouth full of rotting teeth and wash it down with a nice refreshing gourdful of mud.

I KID! I kid. Apparently with Paleo, you need to eat a lot of protein, in the form of meat, seafood, and eggs. Plus a ton of veggies. A crazy quantity. Like, "the neighbors will start asking if you are in trouble with the local CSA-mob" number of veggies. "You might be having an affair with the guy from the farmers market" quantity of veggies.

This has curious side effects, especially gastrointestinally. Without going into too much detail, some days are . . . biologically slower than others. And some days . . . on some days, things flow way too quickly. Like, I'm basically a human Play-Doh press.

Paleo also requires you to give up processed food, refined sugars, and alcohol, which makes sense because those things are wonderful. But you're also supposed to avoid grains, starches, and natural sweeteners (like honey), and you are supposed to limit your fruit intake. It's sort of like the Inquisition, but less fun.

In some respects, it's worked: being Paleo has killed my will to live, so I'm too sad to snack. My abs look pretty damn good, but I suspect that's from all the nights I spend wracked with sobs because I can't eat anything fun. I would take a selfie to show you, but this isn't Facebook and I'm not your misguided teenage niece.

To give you an idea of the waking nightmare that is my life, I'd like to walk you through today's Paleo abomination, in which I endeavored to make something called "carrot cake cookies" — a name which is at best a misnomer, and at worst a cruel mockery. The recipe describes them as "savory cookies," which is something that, if your blood sugar is low enough, you can almost pretend is a real thing.

But it's not. Savory cookies do not exist. There are real, honest-to-god cookies, which are filled with sugar and flour and all sorts of wonderful things that some random hot guy said I can't eat. And then there are crumbly pucks of carrot and nut that are held together by the indelible resilience of failure and good intentions. I ate three in a matter of seconds. And you know what? They weren't bad . . . though they were seasoned by a bit of forbidden honey and the salt of my own tears.

Carrot Cake Cookies (aka, Pucks of Suffering)

Ingredients:

Carrots
    The salt of your own tears
    Nuts or something
    Ennui
    You know what? It doesn't matter what I list here. You should not make these.

If you want to go Paleo, you'll probably need a food processor, which doesn't really make sense, because cavemen didn't even have pants, so they obviously didn't have food processors or ovens or organic coconut oil. Take your ingredients (none of which are even remotely cookie-like), and grind them in the food processor until they resemble cat vomit.

(This is the first and only time in my life I didn't want to eat the cookie dough.) Take the mushy chunks and form them into little patties of sadness.

Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes at 350°F, or just toss them directly into the trash because life is meaningless.

Remember when we cared about things? Remember when our great aunt sat us on the counter of her kitchen in Rome and we watched her fold tortellini by hand, which she made just for us? And how she smiled as we sat there, staring intently at her hands?

Remember that little girl? Who spoke Italian effortlessly and ate carbs with abandon? What would she think of all this?

"We forgot the taste of bread, the sound of trees, the softness of the wind. We even forgot our own name."

The cookies look exactly the same before they are digested as after. They are eternal and unchanging. As time passes, they don't decline in quality or taste because they can't. They've already started out at theoretical zero on that scale.

I weep as I take a bite. These cookies will outlive me unless I destroy them.

Tomorrow, I am getting a slice of cake from the French bakery down the street and eating the entire thing. Then I will eat a plate of pasta and think of people I loved who are no longer with me. Tomorrow, I will do this. And the cookies will be waiting, watching.

Freaking Paleo.

PS You don't want the actual cookie recipe. You don't.

[Edited by MFP Mods]

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    You had me at "killed my will to live". I must've laughed out loud 10 times reading this! I want to hang out with you on a weekend...
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Well two things are very obvious. One is that the blogger has a great sense of humor :) and the other is that she cant cook or has any idea that "spices" exist. Funny but not at all true.

Cavemen had spices? Who knew! :)
  • suavelogic
    suavelogic Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wetcoaster, If you do not write for a living, you should consider it. Phenomenal rant, I may have popped a few abs laughing. Thank you. Made my day.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    hey @wetcoaster. That was masterfully written. two thumbs up.