Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can one live on only meat?

Options

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    This is no different then the other fad type of challenges around.
    Every week there's a new one that goes around like " go paleo for a month " or " eat only eggs for a week and lose weight " or " green smoothie 30 day challenge"
    Some people will blindly follow anything.

I'll continue to eat a well balanced diet that meets all my macros and micros.

But don't you think one month is not very long to do any long term damage but just to torch some body fat? What could be the harm?
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    This seems ridiculous and unnecessary.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    Not good very unhealthy and lots of fat and disease causing food.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." The plague of diseases called "diseases of civilization" did not plague our ancestors. Accidents, infections, high child mortality, and food scarcity did though.

You might want to revisit the "fats are unhealthy" idea. I'd agree that Becel and most plant oils, which are in all our "healthy" low fat foods are definitely not healthy but humans have been eating, and showing preference for, animal fats for millions of years. You and I are here; proof is in our survival as a species. The future doesn't look so good though.

Actually, for those that lived into old age, newer forensic techniques are showing that our ancestors also had the disease of civilization. Being active helped prevent and slow some of it, but they not only had all the dreadful diseases we've eliminated or drastically reduced, a long life could see them have arthritis, gout, kidney stones, heart disease, stroke. All with worse chance of survival.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/31/the-surprising-thing-ancient-mummies-tell-us-about-what-to-eat/

But hey, admittedly, made up history is so much more romantic and idealistic.

So the take from the article is this, get lean and stay lean.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/450725-eskimo-diet-heart-disease/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/eskimo-myth_b_5268420.html

I'm just quoting because not everyone saw this.
    I've always thought the Eskimo diet was interesting for its lack of fruits and veggies. Not for me, but I guess it can be done. Anyone have any thoughtful criticism of this?
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/450725-eskimo-diet-heart-disease/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/neal-barnard-md/eskimo-myth_b_5268420.html

I'm just quoting because not everyone saw this.

Huff post articles aren't generally very well received around here.

Maybe actually read the studies linked in the article....

I saw no studies.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't think it would kill you, but I don't understand why you would want to.
    To paraphrase mothers through history: "If your friend challenged you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?".

Humans are omnivores and have survived on very limited diets in the past when scarcity, climate or environment has enforced this. But, as someone who has easy access to a wide range of foods, I just don't see the point in self imposed "challenges" like this. Your friend might get a good laugh out of your discomfort, but what's in it for you??
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Chamorro people eat chicken kelaguin which is basically raw chicken. The thought of eating raw chicken is vile to me. The thought of eating all meat for a month sounds....unappealing.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    To paraphrase mothers through history: "If your friend challenged you to jump off a cliff would you do that too?".

Humans are omnivores and have survived on very limited diets in the past when scarcity, climate or environment has enforced this. But, as someone who has easy access to a wide range of foods, I just don't see the point in self imposed "challenges" like this. Your friend might get a good laugh out of your discomfort, but what's in it for you??

She's mean but I love her. She's my friend. Funny thing, she doesn't want to be friends with FitBit she thinks I will kick her butt in steps.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    pebble4321 wrote: »

She's mean but I love her. She's my friend. Funny thing, she doesn't want to be friends with FitBit she thinks I will kick her butt in steps.

Has your friend told you what her preferred selections will be for the challenge? Steak and chicken breast seem pretty expensive for the long haul, and bacon alone isn't that filling.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Hmm. Meat only. I suppose it could be just hamburger which is certainly cheapest of all cuts. I know Costco has a huge selection of frozen ground beef and bacon. My hubby thinks I'm nuts if I do this but it's only one month.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I had plans to try something like this already, except I am still including coconut oil and some eggs.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Hmm. Meat only. I suppose it could be just hamburger which is certainly cheapest of all cuts. I know Costco has a huge selection of frozen ground beef and bacon. My hubby thinks I'm nuts if I do this but it's only one month.

True. How about sausage? Some varieties can have fillers that aren't meat.

Ground beef is fine, but I've always thought those plastic tube packs were a bit suspect.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I'd be curious about the nutritional completeness of this as well. I can't imagine that you could get the full compliment of necessary vitamins and minerals through meat alone. Definitely lacking in fibre. @queenliz99 your friend sounds a little cray... And that's coming from me :tongue:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bpetrosky wrote: »

Ground beef is fine, but I've always thought those plastic tube packs were a bit suspect.

What are these plastic tube packs you speak of?
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Sausage is out because of the fillers, I may be wrong about this. Plastic? Do you mean trays?
  • bpetrosky
    edited March 2016
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

These types of packs...I think the supermarkets call them chubs

burger-meat-e1374631076571.jpg
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

These types of packs...

burger-meat-e1374631076571.jpg

Heh I've never seen mince packaged like that here. Sausage mince come like that though.
  • bpetrosky
    Options
    Sausage is out because of the fillers, I may be wrong about this. Plastic? Do you mean trays?

Going without good sausage seems a shame.

I don't mind the plastic wrapped ground beef trays, you can see the meat at least. The tubes are opaque so you can't see what you're getting.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    I could do some chubs. Good idea. Chubs is a funny name. Is chub the singular?
  • nutmegoreo
    Options

Going without good sausage seems a shame.

I don't mind the plastic wrapped ground beef trays, you can see the meat at least. The tubes are opaque so you can't see what you're getting.

I've always found that kind of packaging suspect, we don't see it here very often anymore. Except at the local butcher shop. I trust them though. Fabulous meats there, but expensive.
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I could do some chubs. Good idea. Chubs is a funny name. Is chub the singular?

Hmmm chub wrapped in plastic. Sounds safe :wink: